365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The adventures of the FUPA Part 1: Turkey Trot

+15
Bob
ounce
Julie
Joel H
KathyK
Alex Kubacki
Liz R
Michele "1L" Keane
Erin
fostever
Mark B
carleenp
Mike MacLellan
Nick Morris
Mrs. Schuey
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The adventures of the FUPA Part 1: Turkey Trot Empty The adventures of the FUPA Part 1: Turkey Trot

Post  Mrs. Schuey Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:59 pm

That's right, baby steps toward the Grant Park Turkey Trot this November! Smile

As many of you know, we found out last December that we were expecting a baby. This was wonderful and exciting news and it's hard to believe how fast the time has flown. We welcomed our daughter, Kristina August Schumacher, into the world on July 29th. She weighed in at 7 pounds, 11 ounces, 21 inches long.

I still don't have the clearing from my doctor to do the elliptical or run for another 2 weeks, but I'm itching to get back at it! When Martin heads out for his run, I put Kristina in her stroller and head out for a walk on the Lakefront Path. We get about 2 miles roundtrip which is nice. Watching Martin's passion for running really gets me inspired to want to get out there and be better than I was before we got pregnant.

I have my work cut out for me...I topped the scales at the end of my pregnancy at 230 pounds. I am currently at 203.6 pounds 4 weeks later. Any fitness base I had is gone and that's ok..truth be told, it's kind of nice to have a clean slate - a fresh start to really begin to run again. I will have to remind myself that I can't pick up where I left off and it will be hard work, but I'll do it! Between my husband coaching me and my running coach, Annika Braun and a serious commitment, I'll be back at it better than ever before I know it! We are also starting the Eat-Clean Diet, which will be really nice too.

I am registered for the Grant Park Turkey Trot and that's my focus right now. Keeping my goals within reach will help me achieve my bigger goals.

Once I get the clearing from my doctor, I'll be posting what my running schedule will look like. I'm excited to be back!

Here is a picture of us before Kristina was born and then a picture of Kristina.

[img]The adventures of the FUPA Part 1: Turkey Trot Lisama17[/img]

[img]The adventures of the FUPA Part 1: Turkey Trot Img_0613[/img]

Last edited by Mrs. Schuey on Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

The adventures of the FUPA Part 1: Turkey Trot Empty Re: The adventures of the FUPA Part 1: Turkey Trot

Post  Nick Morris Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:08 pm

Welcome back Lisa!! I will be itching to follow your training back. It will be tough work, but I am sure that you are more than up for it!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

The adventures of the FUPA Part 1: Turkey Trot Empty Re: The adventures of the FUPA Part 1: Turkey Trot

Post  Mrs. Schuey Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:10 pm

Nick Morris wrote:Welcome back Lisa!! I will be itching to follow your training back. It will be tough work, but I am sure that you are more than up for it!!

Thanks Nick! Smile It will definitely be tough work, but I'm completely up for it! It's going to be a fun and interesting ride..
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:25 pm

Welcome back, Lisa! Is the Turkey Trot a 10k? If so, we'll be racing the same distance on the same day! What a Face Hope your training goes well.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:50 am

Great photos! Just take it easy coming back and you will be fine. I bet you will back to your old running fitness sooner than you think. Very Happy
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:54 pm

Nothing like a fresh start. Good luck, Lisa!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:21 pm

There's a Turkey Trot in Grant Park? I've always done the Lincoln Park one. There are so many it's hard to keep track. Anyway, congrats on that beautiful girl and good luck on getting back to the training.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

The adventures of the FUPA Part 1: Turkey Trot Empty :)

Post  Erin Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:41 pm

Hey love! I was in your shoes just a few years ago my dear and I KNOW you will be faster getting back to this than I was! Just take it easy on yourself, push when you can, and know that no matter what you can do - it will GET BETTER!
Erin
Erin

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:18 pm

One day at a time, girl, one day at a time. It isn't easy, but stick with it and it will happen. I was fortunate (or unfortunate actually, but that is another story) to only have gained 24 lbs with my pregnancy, but I still didn't feel like myself until roughly 9 mos after my daughter was born, so don't put too much pressure on yourself. Enjoy Kristina and all that you have in store for you for the next 18 yrs until she, like my daughter, goes off to college. You can only keep teaching her positive life lessons from now until always. Can't wait to see you in November!!!!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Liz R Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:37 am

Kristina is beautiful, and I love the big belly pregnancy picture.

You are off to a great start, just be patient with yourself. I gained thirty pounds each time I was pregnant, and it took about a year to get the weight off and feel normal. I would do well, then hit a plateau, like a baby having a growth spurt and not sleeping well.

Liz R
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:39 am

Welcome back and congrats. I have no clue about kids so not much I can say there.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:36 am

Welcome back! Kristina is BEAUTIFUL! I know that you and Martin are enjoying your life with her...you can see the love in your family in every picture!

You and I are on opposite ends of the mommy continuum. You just gave birth to a beautiful daughter. My beautiful daughter just got engaged. But we both have running challenges ahead. You, because your body has been through all of the changes of pregnancy and childbirth. Me, because, well, I'm old. But we are both up to the challenges! Like others have said, just don't be too tough on yourself, be realistic and your fitness level will return before you know it!
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:03 am

AUC...AUC...AUC!!! She is back, love to see you blogging again Lisa and remember to enjoy those first few years. They go by so FAST. Be patient and enjoy the ride. Kristina is adorable, hopefully someday I will eventually get to meet her (and you guys as well... Wink ).
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:04 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Welcome back, Lisa! Is the Turkey Trot a 10k? If so, we'll be racing the same distance on the same day! What a Face Hope your training goes well.
Hi Mike! Thanks! It's a 5K and it's on the Saturday following Thanksgiving. I thought twice about doing it since it's a "Turkey Trot" and it's the Saturday following, but, it's close to our house and that distance will work better for me after not running for a year. I hope training goes well too, thanks! I have my work cut out for me, but I'm committed. Smile

carleenp wrote:Great photos! Just take it easy coming back and you will be fine. I bet you will back to your old running fitness sooner than you think. Very Happy
Thanks Carleen! Kristina is growing fast. It's amazing just how fast the time flies...I'll be taking it easy, no sense in wrecking my body so soon after delivery just to say I've run after having a baby. I know it will take time, but I'm hoping that my running fitness comes back sooner than I think! Thanks for stopping by! Smile

Mark B wrote:Nothing like a fresh start. Good luck, Lisa!
Thanks Mark! It will be a fun journey; one that I'm happy to have you all here for. bounce

fostever wrote:There's a Turkey Trot in Grant Park? I've always done the Lincoln Park one. There are so many it's hard to keep track. Anyway, congrats on that beautiful girl and good luck on getting back to the training.
Hey there Steve! Yeah, it's a 5K in Grant Park. I didn't know they had one until I was looking for Turkey Trots and came across this one. It's the Saturday following Thanksgiving, but it's close to home so it'll work. Want to run it??

Erin wrote:Hey love! I was in your shoes just a few years ago my dear and I KNOW you will be faster getting back to this than I was! Just take it easy on yourself, push when you can, and know that no matter what you can do - it will GET BETTER!
Hi my dear! I'm happy you're back on 365, and I think it will be great for us to have each other and pick each other's minds as to what works and what doesn't. I'm really excited to follow your training and your blog!

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:One day at a time, girl, one day at a time. It isn't easy, but stick with it and it will happen. I was fortunate (or unfortunate actually, but that is another story) to only have gained 24 lbs with my pregnancy, but I still didn't feel like myself until roughly 9 mos after my daughter was born, so don't put too much pressure on yourself. Enjoy Kristina and all that you have in store for you for the next 18 yrs until she, like my daughter, goes off to college. You can only keep teaching her positive life lessons from now until always. Can't wait to see you in November!!!!

Liz R wrote:Kristina is beautiful, and I love the big belly pregnancy picture.

You are off to a great start, just be patient with yourself. I gained thirty pounds each time I was pregnant, and it took about a year to get the weight off and feel normal. I would do well, then hit a plateau, like a baby having a growth spurt and not sleeping well.

Hi Liz, thank you for your post! It's crazy looking at that pre-pregnancy picture and remembering that day and then seeing our daughter right her next to me. Time is flying!

Thank you for sharing your story. It's always helpful/inspiring hearing what other running moms went through when pregnant and how much time it took to lose the weight. I keep telling myself that it took 9 months to put on, it's not going to come off overnight. I know I have my work cut out for me, and hopefully you all can help hold me accountable. I have a bad history of staying on track for 2 weeks and falling off the wagon. I don't want to do that this time. Mad

Alex Kubacki wrote:Welcome back and congrats. I have no clue about kids so not much I can say there.
Thanks Alex! I'm sorry we didn't get to meet up at Bayshore. It was a little too hard being that pregnant and running around. Hopefully we get to meet you sometime soon!

KathyK wrote:Welcome back! Kristina is BEAUTIFUL! I know that you and Martin are enjoying your life with her...you can see the love in your family in every picture!

You and I are on opposite ends of the mommy continuum. You just gave birth to a beautiful daughter. My beautiful daughter just got engaged. But we both have running challenges ahead. You, because your body has been through all of the changes of pregnancy and childbirth. Me, because, well, I'm old. But we are both up to the challenges! Like others have said, just don't be too tough on yourself, be realistic and your fitness level will return before you know it!

Thank you Kathy ((((Hugs)))). We are enjoying our life with her. I didn't know I could ever love someone as much as I love my daughter! You are not old, age is just a state of mind. You kick butt every time you lace up and head out the door! Your daughter is blessed to have you as a mom - you can sense the love in your post. You have a lot to look forward to Smile A new son, and hopefully grand babies!! I look forward to following your running and talking motherhood! Smile

Joel H wrote:AUC...AUC...AUC!!! She is back, love to see you blogging again Lisa and remember to enjoy those first few years. They go by so FAST. Be patient and enjoy the ride. Kristina is adorable, hopefully someday I will eventually get to meet her (and you guys as well... Wink ).
Hahahahaha!!! Joel, the AUC! Great memory! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Those were some stories, huh? We're taking in every moment because we've heard that time flies by way too fast! We hope you get to meet her and us sometime really soon!
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:00 pm

Best wishes on getting back into shape and all that. Don't get into a huge rush trying to lose the weight. I mean, be careful and sensible but don't do anything too extreme since you still need to fuel your body and take care of yourself.
Also, good job on the walking. Maybe you can keep increasing the mileage till you wait to get on the elliptical. My doctor told me it was OK to run much sooner after I had J because he knew it was important to me. I started back slowly when she was 12 days. Running really helps everything go better, and I've definitely used it this past year (as I've been physically able) as life has been very painful. Anyway, I'm sure you can complete the turkey trot and you can lose the wt, and get back into shape. It just won't happen overnight.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:07 pm

Julie wrote:Best wishes on getting back into shape and all that. Don't get into a huge rush trying to lose the weight. I mean, be careful and sensible but don't do anything too extreme since you still need to fuel your body and take care of yourself.
Also, good job on the walking. Maybe you can keep increasing the mileage till you wait to get on the elliptical. My doctor told me it was OK to run much sooner after I had J because he knew it was important to me. I started back slowly when she was 12 days. Running really helps everything go better, and I've definitely used it this past year (as I've been physically able) as life has been very painful. Anyway, I'm sure you can complete the turkey trot and you can lose the wt, and get back into shape. It just won't happen overnight.

Thanks Julie! I'm looking forward to getting back to the running. I know it will happen in due time. I look forward to hearing about each others training as time goes on!
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:32 pm

Lisa - How has your running been going or has there been a setback? Haven't seen anything posted on your runs lately. Just want to make sure you are ok. Tell Martin and Kristina hello for me.
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:56 pm

Joel H wrote:Lisa - How has your running been going or has there been a setback? Haven't seen anything posted on your runs lately. Just want to make sure you are ok. Tell Martin and Kristina hello for me.

Hi Joel! You're too kind to check in. Smile No, no setback (thank God)..just getting used to balancing starting up training and a newborn. I feel bad letting Kristina sit too long in the playpen, so I hold her a lot. It's getting easier, though, which is good!

I'm going to post to my blog shortly...I'm definitely going to need the inspiration to get this comeback training stuff down.
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

The adventures of the FUPA Part 1: Turkey Trot Empty My first step in comeback

Post  Mrs. Schuey Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:22 pm

Well....the day went good. I must state that this is harder than I thought; there's no amount of mental preparation out there to prepare oneself for that first walk/run back. Wow. affraid

Martin and I headed out together this afternoon for his run and my walk/run. I had Kristina with me and the stroller we have is the Bob Revolution with the carseat adapter. Her carseat sits on the top and then when she's old enough, she will ride in the stroller part. We are not to run with her until she's 6 months old, though.

Martin took off and I started walking. I turned on my Garmin for the first time in about a year and off Kristina and I went. I walked to the Lakefront path at a brisk pace. I walked up Roosevelt and was sucking in air. I had to keep the thought of how I used to run that with no problem out of my head. "Today is day 1", I kept telling myself. Once I got to the Lakefront path, I tried to jog and I would start a 1 tree and then spot a tree up the way, about 50 yards away and jog to it. Mind you, my jog pace was about 14-15 minutes, or in other words, a fast walk Sad . It. Was. Hard. Really hard. Not only that, I have no clothes that fit my fat ass, and the maternity clothes are too big and my regular clothes are now my goal clothes. I spent the entire walk/run pulling down the front of my shorts that my chub rub was eating. That left a wonderful chafe Very Happy

I made it to the waterfall at McCormick Place and turned around. I did the same walk/jog thing on the way back in. I have to be honest. it was hard work not listening to the voices in my head. Those voices are really mean. Everyone I passed looked at me and the first thought I had was, "Yes, I know I'm a fat ass". Then I'd catch myself and say, "you're not a fat ass, you just had a baby 7 weeks ago. Your body changed and with hard work, you'll get it back - even better". I had to let go of what used to be when I was on the path. I'd pass certain points and be reminded of the 7 something pace I ran in the Terapin 5K race last year. That's not where I'm at right now, and I have to accept that.

I was finishing up my walk and Martin ran up from behind me and said, "Looking good, sweetheart". He doesn't even know how much I needed to hear that when I heard it. He wrapped up his awesome run and we walked home together.

These times of getting out together during the day is really special to me. He works nights, so it's hard not having him home during the evening and on Sunday evenings. Since Kristina was born, it's been nice having the time together during the days and being home with her. I unfortunately have to return to work in 3 weeks and I'm not looking forward to it; in fact, I'm having a downright hard time. Soooo...the mental side of things needs a bit of work, and I'm looking forward to feeling good about myself and being able to run like I used to. Running is my stress relief and it's weird that right now, it's causing some of the stress. But, it will get better!

I am working with my McMillan coach and I'm waiting to hear back from her on what my schedule will be. Between her and my amazing hubby, I'll get this running thing down. We are also getting a treadmill so that we can fit our runs in. If Kristina cries, we can just jump off and tend to her and then get back on and finish the run. I have my Core Secrets dvd and the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. I'll do these until I have the physical ability to handle P90X.

Things are looking good, though. It's one day at a time and I'm heading to Target tonight to get a few pairs of capri length pants to walk/run in. The weight will drop hey, I have to start somewhere, right?
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:55 pm

Good luck on the journey, Lisa. May I suggest getting some 2nd hand clothes because you'll be dropping weight and sizes, so it doesn't seem worth spending money on brand new stuff that you'll just be wearing for a short time.

It takes a bit to adapt to buying 2nd hand stuff, but the savings are killer.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:56 pm

Most of my wardrobe is from the Goodwill from their 99 cent clothing sales. I won't buy from the Goodwill at full price! I wore Banana Republic jeans today, 99 cents. But yes you'll be losing the wt. I'm not sure how tight your regular clothing is but do you have something like a Bella band that you could wear around your pants until they zip? I wore one when I was pregnant with J and also post partum the first weeks. I couldn't bring myself to wear maternity clothes after she was born.

Anyway, good job getting out there and walking and jogging. That's really the only way to get fast again, is to do what you can right now.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:11 pm

Remember that it takes time, girl. It took 40 wks to create that beautiful daughter of yours, so it might take 40 wks to get that old (and better) body back. Each day will be a challenge and you are well on the way. I agree with Julie - skip the maternity clothes and get thee self to a nice 2nd had clothing store or Goodwill. Shoot, when looking for throw away running clothes, I found a pair of Joe's Jeans at the Goodwill near where I lived in Atlanta with the tag still on them. I wore those babies out and I think they cost me $20 instead of $150+. The maternity clothes just make you feel well, pregnant, and that isn't right. (I'm just glad my daughter was born in June and I got to wear tees and running shorts all summer until I went back to work in September). Keep up the great work as you are on the way - first steps have already been taken.

And Martin certainly is a sweetie!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:45 pm

So happy for both of you as you continue on with another new chapter in your lives. As Kristina grows, it will seem like chapters come along faster and faster as she passes through each milestone. Cherish each one, write about each one, and take many, many pictures of each one.

Great job getting back out there. Keep a positive state of mind, know that it will take time, and as you know, you can't help to get better and better with consistency.

Will little Kristina be making her first trip to Hell this weekend? Smile
Bob
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

Back to top Go down

Post  Liz R Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:13 am

Way to get back out there! The first step is the hardest.

I started on the stationary bike fwiw, and three months out, so you are way ahead of me. With the second baby I started on the stairmaster, but also three months out. I worried my insides weren't ready for running quite yet, if you know what I mean.

I agree about getting out of the maternity clothes. That in between period is tough. I hated my maternity clothes by then, but couldn't fit in my regular clothes yet. I bought two nice casual outfits just to have something different to wear.

Strength DVDs are a great idea. The toning will be a nice complement to the running. I lifted weights pretty steadily after my babies were born, and that made a huge difference in how I looked and in how I felt about myself. There was a big change in my measurements before the scale caught up.

Liz R
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:44 am

Good job, Lisa, it will be slow and maybe not steady. Just keep at it.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next