365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pocatello Marathon 2012 comeback race

+17
Jim Lentz
Kenny B.
Mark B
Michele "1L" Keane
Dave-O
Admin
Michael Mitchell
KathyK
fostever
Alex Kubacki
Jerry
Diego
Schuey
Julie
mountandog
EugeneGreenie
wheakory
21 posters

Go down

Pocatello Marathon 2012 comeback race Empty Pocatello Marathon 2012 comeback race

Post  wheakory Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:05 pm

2:54:57 6th place in the marathon
The anxious wait for my first marathon comeback was here. Over two years not running one was a long time and a test of where I was after my accident compared to what I ran them before.. I trained hard doing several 80 miles weeks and one 90 mile week. But most of this was endurance and not a lot of speed training. I was okay with that because I didn't want to comeback and bust myself and get injured. I've learned this lessons from past experience.
I adapted Ryan Halls training program in mine let God decide what to do every day. Probably why I was never injured because I alway tried to push too hard.

Race Day cloudy about 50 degrees some wind. I got up at 4am and ate oatmeal and half of a granola bar. I was pretty much energized with the rice egg bagel sandwiches for dinner last night. Topping off the carbs the next morning is always good.

My wife and I picked up Jeff Shadley from his hotel and we rode to the bus location to ride up the hill. Always a great pleasure to sit by a champion and a wonderful friend.

Talked with friends and warmed up a bit at the start line and was ready to go. I said hi to Justin Parks before we took off. I knew that would be the only time I would be right near him.

To really be honest to myself and feel what I thought was somewhat of a good strategy for the first marathon back I was going to be conservative on the downhill.

Mile 1 -6 (Downhill) 6:33, 6:49, 6:33, 6:38, 6:31, 6:32 (these miles felt like a walk in the park very easy and conservative but I think very smart). I passed a few runners around mile 5 that just gunned down the hill at the start. Running a marathon is different every time because your fitness is always going to be a little different going into each one. Really the first few miles of a race is not always a good idea how your going to do in a marathon. I believe its around 6-7 when you really know.

Mile 7 (downhill) 6:35 At this point if I was counting placement I was in the top 15 runners.

Mile 8 6:37 (uphill for half and downhill rest) This mile you turn up and then back down making a loop in the road and running back down the hill. Makes it nice because you can see the lead runners. Saw Jeff and he looked really good and at least a mile ahead of me. I felt good and passed two more runners at this point.

Mile 9 6:46 (downhill and uphill) I wasn't really watching my garmin for pace so I did really know I slowed down but that was the plan to run by feel.

Mile 10 6:29 (downhill) Feeling good had a runner that was behind me for a while and I was basically running alone since almost at the 9th mile.

Mile 11 6:40 (downhill) Feeling good same as last mile. I did purposely slow down because the little hill turning into Inkom also kills my pace for some reason and its not that steep.

Mile 12 6:31 (flat, Hil) Turned on Inkom road and the pace that I dropped to in the last mile seemed to make the little hill feel easy. I will have to remember this next year. Took my first Acetone Gel (blueberry).

Mile 13 6:47 (flat) I hit the half at 1:27:13. Felt good easy steady mile. Now the race begins hitting Inkom

Mile 14 6:27 (flat) felt good heading into Inkom. I was still running alone but a runner was behind me for about the last 5 miles. I would have been nice to pace with someone. Little accident dropped my small Nathan 6oz water bottle that I carried in my hand and had to turn back just a second and get it.

Mile 15 6:50 (flat) I was carrying a small water bottle (as I mentioned) the whole time so I met my wife at this point and throw my old one on the ground and see handed me another one on the run. This was a 8 oz bottle.
Slowed down a bit to wave to the family and get the water bottle. The 6 oz bottle was still half full. I only drank about 8oz the whole race with only 2 gels.

Mile 16 6:55 (Uphill) Met a guy named Richard from Salt Lake City who was right behind me the last several miles and he finally decided to run along side me. I was feeling good. I was a little conservative on the first rolling hill in Inkom.

Miles 17 7:03 (flat and uphill) Richard passed me. Once we got on the flat I was wondering why this mile was slower. I wasn't really feeling fatigued maybe negative not sure. But when I saw the split "really" first mile at a 7 minute pace.

Mile 18 6:46(downhill flat) I picked it up a bit and ran along side Richard and passed him going on the downhill. This point I was 8th place. Felt good

Mile 19 6:46 (flat) Richard pulled along side me again but I expected that because I kept the same pace because I was saving it for the gap hill at mile 21. We also caught up to the runner in 7th place. Basically, we were all three running side by side. But the other two were breathing at a very rough rate.

Mile 20 6:53 (flat) Kept the same pace but I pulled ahead of the other two guys a bit. Not very much but I really was feeling good just saving energy.

Mile 21: 6:41 (flat and rolling) I pick it up a bit and started to get a bigger lead and was heading towards Century Gap hill which is between mile 21 and 22. It's a modest hill nothing bad. I saw the 7th place runner walking and jogging and passed him

Mile 22: 6:57 (hill) Up the hill I went gapping the other two runners and passing the one walking so I was in 6th place. I did encourage the running that "you got this the last hill".

Ok before the race I knew my daughter would be at the aid station between mile 22 and 23. I told my family I promised them I was going to make the last 4 miles my fastest and it really a tough part on the course because mental you been rolling but the last 4 are flat.

Mile 23: 6:28 (talked to my daughter at the aid station and I asked her XC team if he wanted to pace me (jokingly).
Mile 24: 6:10 Good flow and felt my form was moving well with the faster turn over on the legs.
Mile 25: 6:21 Good mile. I was analyzing the race at this point wondering what would have been if I took the top faster.
Mile 26: 6:25 Trying to caught 5th place but ran out of distance. I was 12 seconds behind crossing at 2:54:57

Look at that I accomplished the prophecy I wanted for the last 4 miles. I almost caught the 5th place runner at the end. I just came 12 second short. I came along way to get close to him and thought I could on the straight way but he picked it up at the end.

Met Justin Parks at the end of the race what a great gentlemen and gifted runner. I enjoyed the company of talking with him. He blew his own course record with a 2:26. Nice
job Justin and congratulations. Jeff Shadley strong again at a 2:39 good job Jeff.

I want to thank God and my family for this awesome journey in life to achieve something that I love doing so much. I want to thank you bloggers as well for all your inspiring words and prayers.
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Pocatello Marathon 2012 comeback race Empty Re: Pocatello Marathon 2012 comeback race

Post  EugeneGreenie Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:35 pm

Wow!

Awesome race report, and congrats on the comeback as well as the fabulous splits. Nice Job!

E Greenie
EugeneGreenie
EugeneGreenie
Poster
Poster

http://traniningup.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Pocatello Marathon 2012 comeback race Empty Re: Pocatello Marathon 2012 comeback race

Post  mountandog Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:11 pm

nice run Kory. Congrats on the comeback. Have thought about doing this marathon - sounds great.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:12 pm

Great job, Kory! Great report and I'm so glad how you have persevered and have worked so hard to make such a come back and thankful for God's work in your life. I remember reading about your accident and praying for you and it's always a good reminder of how God answers prayers (although of course not always how we choose).
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:17 pm

Kory awesome report and you are amazing!! Great race! You continue to inspire!!!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:24 am

Congrats on a great race Kory and a welcome return to marathoning. You have had a long, tough journey.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:48 am

Kory, you make it look easy. Inspirational!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:11 pm

Congrats on the return and congrats on a great race.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:33 pm

Great report and inspiring comeback story. Not too shabby of a time either, geez! Yes, God is an awesome God, aye?
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:34 pm

Amazing and inspirational! Big congrats on your comeback race!
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Mitchell Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:17 pm

Wow. Just wow Kory....
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.letsrun.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:37 pm

He's B-a-a-c-k-k...

cheers

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:47 am

Kory, everything about your comeback - your patience, your perspective, your dedication - has been inspirational. I am so happy for you that you have conquered the long road back and run a great race.

And I know you have great things in store in the future!!!
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:19 pm

As always, you are my inspiration! Congrats on a fantastic comeback (now if I can just use your accomplishments to get out of my self pity party - it would be great!)
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:31 pm

From recovery to rebuilding to racing, you've been an inspiration.

Congratulations on your comeback race!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:22 pm

Flat out a miracle. The Amazing Kory! When you are ready to tell your story I'll help write the book. Congratulations, I am so happy for you!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:38 pm

Way to go Kory!
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:43 pm

Kory, I remember your accident like it was yesterday. I was thrilled to see you get back to running before and even more proud and happy to see you do so well on your return. I'm glad you didn't try to PR or anything as you have an awesome marathon PR so that would have been very tough. Great job running a smart race, congrats on the comeback.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  amyjoann Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:06 pm

Congratulations ! Well done and thank you for sharing such a great race report
amyjoann
amyjoann
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:56 pm

Great race.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:29 am

Great job, Kory! That was another incredible step in your comeback. I hope your next race is even better.
Matt W
Matt W
Poster
Poster

http://www.redrockrunningcompany.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down