365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interesting article

+6
Michele "1L" Keane
dot520
Michael Enright
Mark B
JohnP
EugeneGreenie
10 posters

Go down

Interesting article Empty Interesting article

Post  EugeneGreenie Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:02 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/30/sports/essay-the-honorable-clan-of-the-long-distance-runner.html?smid=fb-share&_r=0

E Greenie
EugeneGreenie
EugeneGreenie
Poster
Poster

http://traniningup.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Interesting article Empty Re: Interesting article

Post  JohnP Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:09 pm

THanks for this, it was good.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:14 pm

Very nice! And quite true. Thanks for sharing. Very Happy
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:58 am

A friend also forwarded me the NYT column you linked to, which is quite good, thanks very much.

After I read it, he asked me whether I'd clicked on the link embedded in the story, which forwards to a New Yorker article dated in August, detailing the reference to the dentist in Michigan who apparently has fabricated results (and even an entire race!) for many marathons. I had skipped over that, but went back and read that, too.

The New Yorker article is fascinating (why would someone go to such lengths?), and here is the link to it directly:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/08/06/120806fa_fact_singer?currentPage=all
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:40 am

Good one. As Michael mentioned, I hadn't heard of the Dentist fabricating a race.....wow.

After reading the entire article about the Dentist...wow, wow, wow...what great lengths to go through to deceive..for what??

Last edited by dot520 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Commenting after reading the article about Kip)
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  EugeneGreenie Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:57 am

I read the article about the dentist when it first appeared in the New Yorker in mid August. It is pretty incredible that someone would fabricate a whole part of his or her life. Anyway, the article kept me busy on the plane and I left it for someone else to read. Now I wish I had kept it so I can read it again.

E Greenie
EugeneGreenie
EugeneGreenie
Poster
Poster

http://traniningup.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:40 pm

The article was great and so very true!!!! I always refer to my marathon PR as 2:56 and change!

The Kip Litton story (MI dentist) is somewhat fascinating and I ended up reading a lot of the thread regarding the guy on letsrun.com after I read the New Yorker article. What really got me is that he completely fabricated a half marathon race with complete results at the old health club where I worked out and swam in Atlanta over the Thanksgiving Weekend in 2010? Who would absolutely go to such lengths!!!!!!!! A more interesting fact is that my FIL gave me the New Yorker to read after he read the article. He was amazed by the loyalty of the running community to its members that are tried and true and he then asked me why it seemed to bother us so much that Ryan lied. I told him it would be hard for me to vote for him since I felt he couldn't be trusted. After all, most dedicated runners - no matter how fast or how slow - know their marathon PR!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:12 pm

EugeneGreenie wrote:I read the article about the dentist when it first appeared in the New Yorker in mid August. It is pretty incredible that someone would fabricate a whole part of his or her life. Anyway, the article kept me busy on the plane and I left it for someone else to read. Now I wish I had kept it so I can read it again.

E Greenie

Here it is. Completely crazy story...

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/08/06/120806fa_fact_singer?currentPage=all?currentPage=all
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:15 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:The article was great and so very true!!!! I always refer to my marathon PR as 2:56 and change!

The Kip Litton story (MI dentist) is somewhat fascinating and I ended up reading a lot of the thread regarding the guy on letsrun.com after I read the New Yorker article. What really got me is that he completely fabricated a half marathon race with complete results at the old health club where I worked out and swam in Atlanta over the Thanksgiving Weekend in 2010? Who would absolutely go to such lengths!!!!!!!! A more interesting fact is that my FIL gave me the New Yorker to read after he read the article. He was amazed by the loyalty of the running community to its members that are tried and true and he then asked me why it seemed to bother us so much that Ryan lied. I told him it would be hard for me to vote for him since I felt he couldn't be trusted. After all, most dedicated runners - no matter how fast or how slow - know their marathon PR!

I was totally engrossed in the Kip Litton story from the New Yorker too - you couldn't even make something like that up if you tried I don't think. And I agree that after working so hard, I will NEVER forget my first (and only) marathon time. I refer to my time as 3:30 when in reality it was 3:29:48. Moot point I know, but it is unfathomable to be off by minutes, let alone by an hour! Michele, I think you are sort of like Kevin Bacon - in the running world there should be a 6 degrees of Michele!!!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:16 pm

Whoa...that was awesome. Thanks for sharing!
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:34 pm

Inspirational for Jerry to get under 3 hours again.

Lets say, if I figure out an easy way to game the system, do I incriminate myself by selling the kit? I don't hurt anyone and it's up to the buyers to use them for what, right? lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down