365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Should she be DQ'd?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Should she be DQ'd?

Post  Dave-O on Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:46 pm

Renee Baillie, in her post-race interview, admits that on numerous occasions she grabbed the wrong fluid bottles, realized they weren't hers, and threw them to the side.

http://www.flotrack.org/coverage/249774-2012-Chicago-Marathon/video/657458-Chicago-Marathon-Press-Conference-Renee-Baillie-and-Dot-McMahon

Now, it doesn't seem she did this intentionally. But still, shouldn't there be some repercussion for messing with your competitors' races? According to the Letsrun thread (so as always, take with more than one grain of salt), there were elite women who didn't get to drink at numerous stations and faded badly.

So, what do we think? DQ?
Dave-O

View user profile http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Should she be DQ'd?

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:56 pm

Not sure about a "DQ" as I don' think there is a rule for that; however, it is/was just plain rude and shows poor sportsmanship and judgement. After working the water table in Houston, those elite athletes know which bottles are theirs (they decorate or color code them), so I really doubt her "innocence" here.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O on Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:58 pm

@Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Not sure about a "DQ" as I don' think there is a rule for that; however, it is/was just plain rude and shows poor sportsmanship and judgement. After working the water table in Houston, those elite athletes know which bottles are theirs (they decorate or color code them), so I really doubt her "innocence" here.

I also notice now she has issued a statement backtracking (contradicting?) her statements in the interview. She's now saying it only happened once, but I think her statements in the interview are more likely truthful.

I agree there probably are no grounds to DQ her, but wow, that's some poor sportmanship.
Dave-O

View user profile http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry on Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:07 pm

Didn't this happen in London, men or women's marathon? Then they used the coaches to hand the bottle. My first thought was at the time elites should not use their own or use at your own risk including your rivals stealing them. lol! Or just carry gels like us.

Why do you need better treatment than me? Is that fair if I come in short of 2 seconds in Chicago to the men's winner? Ok, that wouldn't happen.
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  EugeneGreenie on Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:25 pm

@Jerry wrote:Didn't this happen in London, men or women's marathon? Then they used the coaches to hand the bottle. My first thought was at the time elites should not use their own or use at your own risk including your rivals stealing them. lol! Or just carry gels like us.

Why do you need better treatment than me? Is that fair if I come in short of 2 seconds in Chicago to the men's winner? Ok, that wouldn't happen.

Right Jerry, as someone suggested on Flotrack, just take the regular water/ER like everyone else....why do they have to have special bottles?...That is why I like Michele's post about the guy who still has the record for TCM...it has held through all the years of "technological advancements".

I agree, totally bad form...to do it, and then to offer no apology.

E Greenie
EugeneGreenie
Poster
Poster

View user profile http://traniningup.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:24 pm

I agree with all of the comments above. Should she be disqualified? Probably not. Is it bad form? Definitely. This is why all of the elites should have to use the same nutrition as the rest of the runners. Things like this would not happen and actually all of the elements would be "more" equal.
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. on Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:38 pm

My thought is they should use their "designated" water bottles as a back-up to the regular aid stations.

Still not sure why the elite runners get a "special" bottle why everyone else gets a cup of water half filled. Are we all not in the same race and better yet are we not paying more to race then the elites.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP on Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:17 pm

It really does seem wrong. I am wondering why the women/runners who found their bottles missing didn't just go to the aid station to grab a cup of Gatorade. They have them pretty often and would have only shaved a few seconds per stop from their times.
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ed on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:03 am

Once, shame on her but it happens. Twice, I think you DQ her. I do believe the elite runners should have the opportunity to have their personal bottles and yes, it's an advantage. Seems like the race directors do well in making this luxury available to everyone that could finish in the top 20.
Ed

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:35 pm

Agree 100% with Ed.

They SHOULD get special nutrition. They're elite. And there's no way you "accidentally" take the wrong one more than once.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum