365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

How Dumb would this be?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How Dumb would this be?

Post  Alex Kubacki on Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:33 pm

I'm thinking of doing a Fat Ass 50K locally here on 12/15 just for fun. It's a 5K looped course. Now I just spent 4 weeks recovering from Hartford. I'm currently starting my base building. So I really won't have the big runs under my belt at that point. If I did it I'd probably do some sort of run/walk ratio thing. So how dumb would this be?
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How Dumb would this be?

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:38 pm

I'm assuming it is a trail course and that you can run any distance that you wish? That is the way most Fat Ass races are set up. I don't think it is dumb if you listen to your body and are prepared to drop at any point. Don't run the 50K distance if your body says it isn't ready. I used to run half of our local Fat Ass 50K in Atlanta most January's as a training run. Even though unofficial races, they are quite fun and the camaraderie is great.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff F on Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:03 pm

Go for it. We have a local 50K Fat Ass every January in the snow, I have never gone the full distance but say I am going to the next year. I go mostly for the bonfire and cold beer at the end.
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. on Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:15 pm

Depends on how you are recovering. Back to back marathon after a few weeks no issue IMO. Done them even 2 weeks apart shit 7 in 9 months is my small claim to fame. So to add an extra few miles works for me. However, if your recovering and mileage is low right now and your just going to show up at the race and thrown down 50k I'd be cautious.

Whats your mileage like now can you build up and get in a 20 in time for the race maybe 3 weeks before even 2 weeks? If so, I see no issues.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:21 pm

You should be fine, just listen to your body. I ran marathons 20 days apart and it wasn't bad, just I couldn't mentally get excited for the 2nd marathon. I just met a woman who ran the marathon I did on Sat a week after running the Chicago Lakefront 50 miler. She seemed fine.
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:08 pm

I'm not really looking at this as a multiple marathon thing as I've done that. It's more of I did little recovery runs the past 4 weeks after Hartford, and now I'm beginning base building. I have no intention of ramping up the mileage quickly to get some long runs. I doubt I'll have a long run longer than 12M prior.

The race is not on trails. You can drop at any time. I am just going by feel. I'd be shocked if I did the whole thing. If I'm at a point that I'm walking as much as running then I'll call it a day. Should be fun.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:59 pm

@Alex Kubacki wrote:I'm not really looking at this as a multiple marathon thing as I've done that. It's more of I did little recovery runs the past 4 weeks after Hartford, and now I'm beginning base building. I have no intention of ramping up the mileage quickly to get some long runs. I doubt I'll have a long run longer than 12M prior.

The race is not on trails. You can drop at any time. I am just going by feel. I'd be shocked if I did the whole thing. If I'm at a point that I'm walking as much as running then I'll call it a day. Should be fun.

Sounds good. Have fun with it and do what you can.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top