365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Run through knee pain

5 posters

Go down

Run through knee pain Empty Run through knee pain

Post  Jerry Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:59 pm

No worries, Jerry has no injury except some PF. This is a question for a friend.

My friend has some knee pain and typically the pain goes away after warming up. Doctor says it is minor with inflammation in meniscus. My friend intends to run through it.

The question is would speed work and hill running(repeats,sprint or hilly runs in general) be bad idea in particular?
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Run through knee pain Empty Re: Run through knee pain

Post  KBFitz Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:15 pm

yes
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:27 pm

definitely
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:59 pm

Ok, so how bad is the idea to run through it, via slow pace and not high mileage? Would it even beneficial to the knee recovery? lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:22 pm

If it goes away as he runs I wouldn't really worry about continuing to run on it, but from personal experience, speed work and hills are horribly hard on already-near-injury knees and I'd just take it easy and run the miles but not push it with hills or speed. I have run with sore meniscus areas and have completed marathons with them but sometimes it hurts more than others and I think sometimes I would be better off taking more time off to heal.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:36 pm

Julie wrote:If it goes away as he runs I wouldn't really worry about continuing to run on it, but from personal experience, speed work and hills are horribly hard on already-near-injury knees and I'd just take it easy and run the miles but not push it with hills or speed. I have run with sore meniscus areas and have completed marathons with them but sometimes it hurts more than others and I think sometimes I would be better off taking more time off to heal.

Thanks Julie. That's helpful.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:05 pm

I've had a torn meniscus repaired and 2 other cartilage removal surgeries, so I can tell you all about running with a sore knee. For the most part, my knee feels better after the first 1/4 mile or so, so unless it really hurts, running easy on it is pretty much ok. I do little speed work, but I do run hills a fair amount. Not too much of an issue running up hill, but I am VERY careful running downhill.

I try to avoid running downhill on pavement as much as possible. I'm very fortunate in that most of my running is on dirt paths so I run on softer surfaces whenever I can.

I pass a lot of people running uphill, and am passed by the very same people running back down the other side. Ah well... Very Happy
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:25 pm

Tim C wrote:I've had a torn meniscus repaired and 2 other cartilage removal surgeries, so I can tell you all about running with a sore knee. For the most part, my knee feels better after the first 1/4 mile or so, so unless it really hurts, running easy on it is pretty much ok. I do little speed work, but I do run hills a fair amount. Not too much of an issue running up hill, but I am VERY careful running downhill.

I try to avoid running downhill on pavement as much as possible. I'm very fortunate in that most of my running is on dirt paths so I run on softer surfaces whenever I can.

I pass a lot of people running uphill, and am passed by the very same people running back down the other side. Ah well... Very Happy

Thanks Tim.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  wrichman Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:23 pm

I'm in the camp that if it hurts to run, stop. If it doesn't, then run. Each person is different though.
I've been dealing with some knee cap pain for about 2 months, but it's only when I walk up and down stairs. More up. And single leg squats hurt. Other than that I'm fine, so I keep running.
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down