365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Come Back to Boston

+31
Chris M
Ken Cushing
Matt W
Nick Morris
KBFitz
Michael Mitchell
Dave Bussard
carleenp
nkrichards
ounce
Diego
T Miller
Gobbles
Seth Harrison
Dave Wolfe
Alex Kubacki
KathyK
Liz R
JohnP
Mike MacLellan
Kenny B.
John Kilpatrick
kath
fostever
mountandog
Dave-O
Julie
dot520
mul21
Mark B
Michele "1L" Keane
35 posters

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Come Back to Boston - Page 7 Empty Re: Come Back to Boston

Post  Chris M Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:56 pm

So glad you are OK and scary how close you were to everything that happened.
HEY, WHY CLEVELAND? I mean run it, but why push for BQ there?
Instead....Erie. I just signed up. Get fully healthy, do a normal training cycle over the Summer, easy BQ. YOU IN?
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:46 am

Chris M wrote:So glad you are OK and scary how close you were to everything that happened.
HEY, WHY CLEVELAND? I mean run it, but why push for BQ there?
Instead....Erie. I just signed up. Get fully healthy, do a normal training cycle over the Summer, easy BQ. YOU IN?

Because my mind says do it now, and I can't run Erie and cheer for you (and carry water on the course with my bike). It is not out of the realm of possibility though as I know the Erie course so well. Cleveland is just there for the taking, but not if the weather or the body are not cooperating yet.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:26 am

Got an email from Boston that official times will all be recorded by Friday, April 26th? How can that be, will they just estimate for those of us who were almost there? I also find it interesting that there are times posted for people (who were obviously in the 2nd wave) of 4:40 and 4:45. Makes me feel better (in a way) to know that I would have finished in another min or so and been around 4:11 (guess I should not have stopped at 25 miles to see my daughter -hehehe). It is funny, but she seems to be a bit more affected than me - maybe because she is actually in Boston and knew (in a way) Lingzu Lu as she was a Calculus TA for the class my daughter takes this semester.

Life needs to move on, but we will never forget.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:40 am

There are really many things that we will never forget and really shouldn't. I hope your daughter finds healing in the coming weeks and months. So they are estimating times based on pace?

When is your next marathon? Isn't it pretty soon? I know you said it...how are your legs feeling?
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:41 am

Julie wrote:There are really many things that we will never forget and really shouldn't. I hope your daughter finds healing in the coming weeks and months. So they are estimating times based on pace?

When is your next marathon? Isn't it pretty soon? I know you said it...how are your legs feeling?

I'm hoping Cleveland now but we will see. I feel good, but I of course have not run hard or long yet.

I also received an email from the BAA that we will be given instructions as to where they can mail our medals if we cannot pick them up. How wonderful as I would love mine to keep with my number, etc from the race.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:51 am

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:
I'm hoping Cleveland now but we will see. I feel good, but I of course have not run hard or long yet.

I also received an email from the BAA that we will be given instructions as to where they can mail our medals if we cannot pick them up. How wonderful as I would love mine to keep with my number, etc from the race.
Glad to hear that BAA is going to give you...and others...your medal and finish time. It will be a special momento in so many ways.

Hope preparations for Cleveland go well and you're able to keep injuries at bay.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:29 am

Glad you are hanging in Michele - lot of emotions there no doubt. Are your legs back to (sort of) normal yet? With as many marathons as you've ran I wonder how long until you feel normal after 26.2...

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:00 am

I feel pretty normal now, John; however, I've been very tired. Not sure if it is the run, the stress/anxiety or simply allergies. Others were complaining last night about allergies tiring them out - so I might go with that. I am definitely allergic to something here that is not in Atlanta, and I remember that from before. At least it hasn't snowed here since Saturday.

Running friends are certainly special. During our group run last night we decided that we are all a bit weird, but when the going gets tough the weird turn pro, and the group also concluded that they are staying away from any marathons that I run - after all look at my track record - Boston, 2012 - 89F, NYC, 2012 - cancelled by a hurricane, and Boston, 2013. Hmm, maybe they have a point Wink So those of you who are thinking Monumental might want to change races. Of course, I did run Houston with the Millers and only Wendy had shoe issues, all else was fine.

My summer running friend tried to entice me to come to DC this weekend as they had an extra bib for the Inauguaral Nike Woman's DC Half. If flights were not $950, I would have taken her up on it. I'm not into banditing any more (been there, run that in the 80s), but I guess you can transfer bibs (whihc IMHO more races should do). Would have been a great bonding time. As it is she talked me into Tucson which I had to cancel on this past winter, so I'll get in a lot of marathons this year - good or bad.

Miles of smiles.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:20 am

Hm, so maybe inviting you to a marathon in the Pacific Northwest isn't such a great idea after all? We are a few decades overdue for a 9.0-magnitude subduction zone earthquake in these parts... Wink

Glad you're working through all the emotions out of Boston and looking forward. Allergies stink, though. With all those hardwoods around you, there's no way you can't be exposed to all sorts of new and exciting allergens! You might want to pick up some over-the-counter Claritin or equivalent and see if it helps. Can't hurt to try.

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:18 pm

You're always welcome to return to Houston, 1L. They're changing the start of the half and full because the bridge/overpass over I-10 is being demolished. No word yet as to the re-route, but it will alter the first 3 miles, I would imagine.

If you need some info, let me know, but I imagine you're on their mailing list.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:12 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:So those of you who are thinking Monumental might want to change races.
Miles of smiles.

Hmmm...I need to make a decision and was considering Monumental...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:43 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Michele "1L" Keane wrote:So those of you who are thinking Monumental might want to change races.
Miles of smiles.

Hmmm...I need to make a decision and was considering Monumental...

I have been reminded that things always come in threes - so you are safe from my jinx.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:35 pm

What I received from the BAA today:

Dear Michele:

Thank you for your patience over the past 11 days as we have dealt with the aftermath of the tragic events at the Boston Marathon. We have received many questions, and we are working towards a resolution to the issues. We do not have all of the answers at this time. We are particularly sensitive to the questions relating to runners who did not have the opportunity to cross the finish line on Boylston Street on Monday, April 15.

We have included your split times below from the 117th Boston Marathon.
5K: 0:28:17
10K: 0:55:43
15K: 1:23:10
20K: 1:50:42
Half: 1:56:35
25K: 2:18:07
30K: 2:49:03
35K: 3:21:07
40K: 3:55:03
FINISH: NOT RECORDED

As a participant who was not able to cross the finish line, we know that you have questions relating to:
• whether or not you will be considered an official finisher;
• if you are provided with an estimated finishing time, whether or not that time will be considered official and if this time will be printed in the Record Book, posted online, or can be used for other purposes (for example, qualifying for next year's Boston Marathon or to preserve a streak of consecutive races);
• whether or not you will be able to run the 2014 Boston Marathon.
You will receive a finisher's medallion and certificate. We know that some have received a medal and others did not. As we reconcile our records of those who received medals in the days following the marathon, we ask for your patience as we work through the process to determine the best method of distribution for those who did not receive a medallion. Certificates will be mailed during the Summer.

Also, we know many of you have individual questions that you have been waiting to ask the B.A.A. We appreciate you holding these questions during this time and until we provide answers to the questions above. Please know that all questions, answers, situations and issues are receiving careful attention by the B.A.A. and we have been fully engaged in matters relating to participants and also the general public.

These discussions are underway and as we decide on the answers we will communicate our decisions to you. At this time, we must continue to ask for your patience.

We also thank you for your kind messages of support and your demonstrations of resiliency.

Sincerely,
The Boston Athletic Association

However, they figure out what they figure out, I still appreciate it all. (Just don't look at how I fell apart after 20 miles - it was anticipated and expected. I was shooting for 3 hrs at 20 miles and that is exactly where I was.)
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:03 pm

I was tracking the eleven 365ers running the race and you were the only one that didn't finish. But since you were running in the same general time as Vivian and Kath AND that one of the others didn't have a time crossing one of the earlier timing mats, that I just figured you finished and it hasn't been recorded yet.

Then. Michael posted in our tracking thread about the explosion about 20 after the explosion happened, and I thought about your lack of a finish time and said, "Oh, shit." Additionally, I didn't know what the time difference was between the gun and the chip for y'all. So, I was a little concerned.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:07 pm

Thanks for sharing the letter. I can't imagine the hairball the BAA is working through right now trying to figure out how to handle those left on the course like you. That's going to be a huge challenge, but possibly not as overwhelming as how they're going to handle the flood of runners who have committed to running Boston 2014. I wonder what they'll do?
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:04 pm

So glad they're communicating with you all. It sounds like the BAA is working very hard and I can't imagine all the work they have to do.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:10 pm

All I really want is my medal and certificate. I'll.take a projected with an asterik without any issue st all As for next year, a pass would be nice but I don't expect it. I would like to see them expand the field like they did in 1996.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:49 pm

I think it'd be interesting if they worked it like this:

-Anybody who couldn't finish this year is automatically qualified for 2014 (still have to pay entry fee).

-Invited elites automatically in, of course. It is still a race, after all.

-Everybody else applies - with no qualifying times - and the remaining positions (hopefully more of them) are distributed by lottery.

That probably sounds like heresy, and it'll probably never happen. But it'd say a lot if Boston 2014 was as open as possible -- as a celebration of the indomitable spirit of Boston, as well as runners of all shapes, sizes and speeds.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:20 pm

Definitely think that those who couldn't finish should get their medal, certificate and a spot in 2014.

It would be nice to open up a few more spots but I hope they don't just open it up to everyone. I like the idea of it being a race you have to qualify for. Yes, I know there are charity runners but let's not water it down any more than that.

Oddly enough I'm more determined than ever to qualify...still not sure if I actually want to run it...but I'm leaning towards trying for 2015 or beyond in order to leave openings for others who have been impacted more than I.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:37 am

Ran a 10 mile race this morning in Cleveland - beautiful morning about 50F at the start with sunshine and a light wind! Not sure how I felt or what I would do, but I'll take the 1:19:12 (chip) and 5th in my AG, especially when I'm the only one who ran a NEGATIVE SPLIT RACE!!!!!!!!! 8th at halfway, 2nd fastest for the last 5!!!!!!

1 151 Patti Sparks 5938 50 1 37:30.14 7:30/M 1 38:05.58 7:37/M 1:15:35.72 1:15:42.63
2 211 Susan Beck 5050 54 2 38:24.88 7:41/M 6 39:48.90 7:58/M 1:18:13.78 1:18:36.94
3 230 Sue Sullivan 6631 50 3 39:21.56 7:52/M 3 39:22.04 7:52/M 1:18:43.60 1:20:40.39
4 241 Denise Vanek 6030 50 4 39:31.82 7:54/M 4 39:29.63 7:54/M 1:19:01.45 1:19:14.19
5 247 Michele Keane 5456 51 8 39:55.48 7:59/M 2 39:16.99 7:51/M 1:19:12.47 1:19:41.38

I'm not sure where that came from as the hip thing bothered me from about mile 6 on (I think it is actually piriformis syndrome), but I just stayed strong, kept my heart rate in check and ran a 7:37 final mile. Mile 6 was my slowest as I took a gel and made sure to get water, but damn, I'll take it!!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:35 pm

Nicely done - especially so soon after a tough marathon.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:06 pm

Mark B wrote:I think it'd be interesting if they worked it like this:

-Anybody who couldn't finish this year is automatically qualified for 2014 (still have to pay entry fee).

-Invited elites automatically in, of course. It is still a race, after all.

-Everybody else applies - with no qualifying times - and the remaining positions (hopefully more of them) are distributed by lottery.

That probably sounds like heresy, and it'll probably never happen. But it'd say a lot if Boston 2014 was as open as possible -- as a celebration of the indomitable spirit of Boston, as well as runners of all shapes, sizes and speeds.

That's a tough issue and I'll be interested in Michele's thoughts on it. The vast overwhelming majority of the runners who were not able to finish in 2013 were not on pace to get a BQ for 2014 so I think the number of people denied a finish that would have qualified them for next year is very small. Plus if they just do something like take anyone's time who didn't finish in 2013 and project it at the same pace from the last mat they crossed and make that their official 2013 time, well, that's being pretty generous because we all know the end of marathons rarely don't feature big time slowdowns. So you get everyone who didn't finish an official 2013 time and some tiny number of them then got a 2014 BQ out of that. To open up 2014 to EVERYONE who didn't finish creates a whole bunch of problems, including the fact that a lot of the Wave 3 runners were in via the charity route and raised a ton of money for the BAA charity programs. If all of those runners are back in without the charity fundraising obligations, BAA charities take a huge hit in 2014 assuming the field size remains the same. Create a 4th wave? More runners on the course? Maybe around the edges that helps but I doubt they can just expand the total field by say 10,000 without huge problems. I don't think they can do something as big as they did for the 100th anniversary anymore. The budget strains that places on all of the towns along the route and the BAA itself would get too big to handle.
I think they credit every runner who wasn't able to finish in 2013 with an official finishing time (off a projection), a medal and keeping things like the Boston streak of finishing alive. But beyond that, I don't think they really can start guaranteeing thousands of non-BQ runners spots in the 2014 race without seriously impacting their charity raising efforts or crowding out a huge portion of 2014 runners with BQ times, including those who did finish in 2013 with a BQ for 2014. Tough call. But as we saw with NYC last Fall, it isn't really feasible to just tell all the runners "come back next year, no problem" due to the economics involved. Even if you are charging the runners who didn't finish 2013 the normal race fee - and they surely will - you have to address the hundredss of thousands the 2013 runners raised for charity that would disappear if 2013 charity runners take 2014 charity spots.
I don't know - its a tough issue and one I'm sure BAA is having a hard time with now.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:43 pm

Interesting points, Chris. I'd forgotten to take the charity runner factor into account. Glad I don't have to figure this one out.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:44 pm

I agree with Chris that this is a tough issue. I don't think you can just grant the non finishers entry into 2014 because of the issues Chris mentioned. Extrapolating finishing times is possibly not fair to those who finally qualified for their one and only Boston and wanted to enjoy the experience so they weren't trying for a BQ. Perhaps let them re-use their 2013 BQ time for the 2014 race. If I was just throwing out ideas, maybe grant them free entry into the Sunday 5K in 2014 with a special bib so they could receive their finisher's medal after crossing the line. I'm not sure if that's insulting to the effort it takes to get to Boston to receive a marathon medal after a 5K. In any case, it will be interesting to see what the BAA comes up with. Michele, for passing on what they are communicating.

Oh, and nice job on your 10 miler today. It sounded like it was a good day to run and you took advantage of it. Keep up the good running.
Matt W
Matt W
Poster
Poster

http://www.redrockrunningcompany.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:51 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Ran a 10 mile race this morning in Cleveland - beautiful morning about 50F at the start with sunshine and a light wind! Not sure how I felt or what I would do, but I'll take the 1:19:12 (chip) and 5th in my AG, especially when I'm the only one who ran a NEGATIVE SPLIT RACE!!!!!!!!! 8th at halfway, 2nd fastest for the last 5!!!!!!
Impressive showing under any conditions and especially coming so soon after Boston! Looks like you're on the way to a good marathon this spring if you choose to.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next