365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Running as a Bandit

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Running as a Bandit

Post  Natalie on Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:00 pm

I usually don't even read these articles posted by Active.com, but this one caught my attention. It analogizes running as a bandit to thievery and suggests entering a closed race as a charity runner as an alternative.

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Why-Run-for-Charity-Not-as-a-Running-Bandit.htm?cmp=17-1-825
Natalie
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Running as a Bandit

Post  Julie on Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:10 pm

makes sense to me. Everyone else is paying for the support, pay for the police control, ambulance, gatorade/powerade/water/whatever. One of my acquaintances wanted to run a full marathon and ended up finding a charity with a runner who had an injury who was also friends with the race director. He got his bib switched legitimately and got his time to count. Yeah it was a little more trouble but at least it was honest.
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:18 pm

Julie wrote:makes sense to me. Everyone else is paying for the support, pay for the police control, ambulance, gatorade/powerade/water/whatever. One of my acquaintances wanted to run a full marathon and ended up finding a charity with a runner who had an injury who was also friends with the race director. He got his bib switched legitimately and got his time to count. Yeah it was a little more trouble but at least it was honest.

I agree...I have never ran a race bandit, but know others who have. I have strongly encouraged them to not do so, but to no avail. Maybe the charity angle would work.
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:24 pm

Just don't kick me out as I ran Boston as a bandit 3x in college. Of course, that was back in the early 1980s when the race was smaller and there were no real supported water stops except for the true elite. I actually got water from my family in natick and Newton. I think that many Boston area college students still jump in after the last wave goes, but I'm not sure about that.

As for today, I would never do it because races have grown so much and I know that every runner is supported by the race, etc. I have only run 20 miles in a marathon as a training run, but I made sure to pay for the privilege by getting a number. The article makes perfect sense 25+ yrs later, but that was not an option then.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:46 pm

I ran MCM as a bandit in 2008. the funny thing is I didn't plan on running the race. It was 2 weeks after Chicago. the plan was to run the last 10 miles with Lisa but since training didn't go very well for her I didn't want her running by herself so I ended up running the whole race with her. My only bandit race so far!
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W on Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:09 am

I'll admit to banditting a 5K to pace a former student, but I didn't take any water and stepped off the course before the finish.

I can't think of anything that would make me want to bandit a marathon though. Those are just too big of events to have extra people taking resources away from the registered runners.
Matt W
Poster
Poster

View user profile http://www.redrockrunningcompany.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:31 am

I admittedly bandit-ed 15 miles of a marathon. But I was pacing my friend to her BQ, and I could've gotten a free bib, had I wanted to run the full. I took waters but brought my own gels.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie on Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:29 pm

I guess this also leads to the question of running Boston for a charity. As for myself, I will most likely never qualify, but that is the one race I don't think I'd ever run for a charity. I wouldn't run as a bandit either.
Natalie
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry on Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:41 am

Bandit is ok. It becomes not when you tell others. lol!
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:21 am

So what if you qualified for Boston and didn't get in with the new reg. standards? Would you consider banditing it then? (General open question to everyone)
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete B on Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:55 am

Mike MacLellan wrote:So what if you qualified for Boston and didn't get in with the new reg. standards? Would you consider banditing it then? (General open question to everyone)

If/when I qualify, I know it will be by the skin on my teeth, so there's a good chance I wouldn't make the cut during registration. That's the one time I would consider running as a charity runner, not as a bandit.
Pete B
Poster
Poster

View user profile http://www.ahouseinthewoods.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim M on Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:59 am

Pete B wrote:
Mike MacLellan wrote:So what if you qualified for Boston and didn't get in with the new reg. standards? Would you consider banditing it then? (General open question to everyone)

If/when I qualify, I know it will be by the skin on my teeth, so there's a good chance I wouldn't make the cut during registration. That's the one time I would consider running as a charity runner, not as a bandit.

I agree completely. If you meet the registration requirements but aren't fast enough to actually get in, then running as a charity runner is fine. I wouldn't run as a charity runner at Boston if I didn't meet the standard.
Tim M
Poster
Poster

View user profile http://runhappyrunmore.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Dozer raised nearly $16,000 for charity!

Post  Natalie on Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:10 pm

Wow! Dozer the dog ran as a bandit, but then made good by raising money for the charity the race supports. And boy did he ever! He's raised almost $16,000 since banditing the Maryland 1/2 Marathon in May. Yay Dozer!

Dozer's Charity Page
Natalie
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey on Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:31 pm

Natalie Wolf wrote:Wow! Dozer the dog ran as a bandit, but then made good by raising money for the charity the race supports. And boy did he ever! He's raised almost $16,000 since banditing the Maryland 1/2 Marathon in May. Yay Dozer!

Dozer's Charity Page

WOW! $16,000.00?! Go Dozer!!!!!
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top