365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Running To Sanity -- Starting Over

+15
Schuey
T Miller
Dave P
Kenny B.
JohnP
Seth Harrison
KathyK
dot520
Mike MacLellan
John Kilpatrick
mul21
Mark B
Michele "1L" Keane
KBFitz
Dave Wolfe
19 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Running To Sanity -- Starting Over - Page 3 Empty Re: Running To Sanity -- Starting Over

Post  Nick Morris Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:11 pm

Dave Wolfe wrote:Space Coast Marathon 12/1.  Good to have a goal race.

True story...It gives you a little more motivation, know that there is a goal at the end.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Running To Sanity -- Starting Over - Page 3 Empty Re: Running To Sanity -- Starting Over

Post  mul21 Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:59 pm

Agreed.  I've had NYC on the schedule for a bit now but hadn't been able to muster the motivation to really dig in until this week when I finally put a training plan together on paper.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Lobo Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:07 pm

So It has been so long I forgot my log-in formation  and I no longer use the backup email address hence the "Lobo"

Interestingly, although I screwed up the registration for the NYC Marathon last year they have given me guaranteed entry to this year's race.  I found this out out shortly after I've started consistently running. So we'll see if I actually sign up but I do love that race.

Just a short note as to where I am.  I have certainly lost a couple of steps since getting pneumonia about 18 months ago. On top of that I had an undiagnosed thyroid problem. For those of you who don't know an under active thyroid is like over-training with out the training.  But I am running consistently enough to justify a return to this blog. 

Dave Wolfe

Last edited by Lobo on Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Lobo

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:12 pm

Sweet the return of Lobo!!!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Lobo Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:29 pm

Thanks Schuey 

Found out the divorce is final.  Bittersweet. 

Very sloppy running conditions this week  (and cold feet).

Lobo

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:04 pm

Glad you're back, and glad that you at least have closure.

Stay warm!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:06 pm

Life continues on.  Running can help to either remind you too much of it or forget it altogether.  welcome back.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:15 pm

Thanks Oz, in this case the divorce was a very good thing. 

A short 3.25 run this morning the route I chose was too snowy and icey to run on. So I changed it up and ran along the Hudson. The ice was cracking and flowing down river which was cool to watch and listen to.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:15 pm

A short and slow 3 miles after dropping the kids off this evening. I had to take a week off with tweaked back muscles.  Although we are expecting more snow this evening/tomorrow I think good running conditions will be here in a week or two.

On a separate note I'm going to focus on relocating to Florida assuming this 52 yo can find a new job. While I understand every parent that keeps the co-parenting thing going I need to make a change for personal reasons.  Strangely I have a better relationship with the kids than I did a year ago. Makes it both easier and harder.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:38 pm

4.5 easy  miles. Only my third run in 2 weeks (sore back). Lack of consistency is killing me. I plan to just do a number of very easy runs. We'll see.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:51 pm

Just keep trying, Dave, and you'll eventually fall into a rhythm that works for you.

If running is causing problems, you may want to start back with some walking. I found that helps get your body reacquainted with the routine, which makes it much easier when you start turning those walks into runs.

Florida, eh? That'll be a big change from NYC.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:41 am

So I have entered the NYC Marathon again (I love it). I am running somewhat consistently although short runs. More later.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:18 pm

All right! Good to see you signed up for NYC. And especially at this stage, consistency is better than distance. Keep it up!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:29 pm

Yeah.  I hear the Sara Jane did as well and so did I.  I technically have guaranteed time (for both a half and a marathon which I submitted), but I don't really get how that is going to work now.  Hopefully we will get in as I love the race as well.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:00 pm

Dave Wolfe wrote:A short and slow 3 miles after dropping the kids off this evening. I had to take a week off with tweaked back muscles.  Although we are expecting more snow this evening/tomorrow I think good running conditions will be here in a week or two.

On a separate note I'm going to focus on relocating to Florida assuming this 52 yo can find a new job. While I understand every parent that keeps the co-parenting thing going I need to make a change for personal reasons.  Strangely I have a better relationship with the kids than I did a year ago. Makes it both easier and harder.

Maybe you're not as much of an asshole as you have been advertised?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:52 pm

Dave...good to see you back running again...and getting on with life.

I also took some time off this winter to deal with some family stuff and really struggled to get back into a running routine.  It takes time so be patient.  Good to see you signed up for NYC...I know setting goals has always been a big motivator for me.

One day at a time...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:55 am

nkrichards wrote:Dave...good to see you back running again...and getting on with life.

I also took some time off this winter to deal with some family stuff and really struggled to get back into a running routine.  It takes time so be patient.  Good to see you signed up for NYC...I know setting goals has always been a big motivator for me.

One day at a time...

Thanks Nancy -- First decent run in weeks. Maybe the little bit of consistency I've manged will pay dividends.  Very Happy
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:34 pm

10 tough miles in the rain today. About 4 miles longer than my usual weekend run at this point but wanted to go double digits as people ran for Charles.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:54 pm

So I've decided to take this marathon training seriously.  So to determine some kind of baseline (I no longer have a heart rate monitor) I ran another 10 miler -- the exact same route as Sunday.  Sunday's run was 2:04 and today was 1:44:26. I may run it again this weekend and average the times. 

In any case it's time to find out how much of my drop off in fitness is from lack of consistency and how much from aging etc. (I've never run the same since my bout with pneumonia two summers ago). So determine the baseline and use the Daniel's paces and VDOT chart. It generally takes 6-8 weeks to move up a level.  With some consistency I might be able to run @4:15 -- but it's a very long time until race day.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:29 pm

A nice very easy 4.5 miler.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:24 pm

Today I ran my first NY Road Runners race of the year. A 4 miler which I didn't run particularly hard. Left the Garmin at home and surprised myself by running a quicker pace than I thought while I was out on the course.  So what is the point of this post? I got to thinking (beginners luck?) and downloaded all of my NYRR race times from winter 2007 to now.  What did I learn? Except for a couple of 5Ks my fastest mile pace over a distance is the half-marathon -- much faster than the marathon, 18 miles, and 10Ks. I love the NYC Marathon but apparently my body likes the half.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:26 pm

The half really is a sweet distance!
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:33 am

I totally get that Dave.  I call myself a "middle" distance long distance runner as my best times are in the 15K to half marathon range - still.  Some of us just need to specialize in different things, and I just need to get in the mode that I can travel and only run a "half".  Keep up the good work and continues good luck on the job/moving front.  I do hope to see you in NY though at the marathon.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:33 pm

Thanks Michelle --

Ran 10 very easy times today.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:43 pm

The half is a great distance for racing. I can see why your body likes it.

Me, I'm still trying to figure out my best distance... with my luck, I'll eventually discover it's the 800 meter dash, not ultras. Wink

Nice work on the 10!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next