365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Cubs vs. White Sox Smack Talk

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Cubs vs. White Sox Smack Talk

Post  Schuey on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:24 pm

@Nick Morris wrote:
@mul21 wrote:
@Schuey wrote:
@mul21 wrote:
@Dave-O wrote:For the first time in my life, I don't have it in me to defend my Cubbies this year. The team is in serious trouble for a few years, I fear.

Thankfully the Sox aren't much better. Twisted Evil

They're not in as bad of shape as it might seem. There's a bunch of guys in the mid to high minors that are going to be in the bigs and contributing by 2013 at the latest. My one worry is the rotation. They need to sign Fielder and I think the offense will be okay. I just have enjoyed the last week and a half where they haven't looked like a little league team.

Jim really, when have the Cubs every been in good shape. HaHa You guys have to wake-up for dream land. Oh what Dave is finally waking up. Hello Jim Hello Jim the alarm clock is going off.

They were in great shape in Game 6 October 2003 until the idiot shortstop booted a routine ground ball that he fields and turns 2 on 999 times out of 1,000. He just picked the shittiest possible time to completely crap his pants.

That was a great series...I love how they folded under the pressure and then blame it on Bartman bounce bounce

Approval I wasn't going to go there but you did Nick!
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:27 pm

@mul21 wrote:Honestly, I'm pretty high on Lemahieu, I think he can be a very solid 2B for a bunch of years. He's going to develop more power as he fills out. Another guy is Ryan Flaherty, who probably should have been called up instead of Lemahieu at this point.

Also, Archer went to TB in the Garza trade and is kind of sucking right now because he's really struggling to throw strikes. The guy that hurt in that deal was Hak-Ju Lee, who's hitting like .350 and has stolen a bunch of bases in AA. Guyer also went in that deal, but between Szczur, B Jackson, and Jae Hoon Ha, I think the OF is going to be fine. I just hope Vitters continues to figure it out and finds a little patience, because if he can do that, he has the potential to be a .300/25/100 guy, whether he's at 1st, 3rd or the OF.

In 2013, Garza will still be around but Z is likely gone, McNutt, Wells, and Cash will be there. There's a kid who just blew out his elbow and had TJS, Robert Whitenack who has a chance to be a top end guy, but we'll see how he comes back from the Tommy John.

Ah yes, I forgot Archer and Guyer were in that deal. However, I'm not sold on Hak-Ju. Too light hitting for my preference. And with Castro, Barney, Lake, and Lemahieu as middle infielders, I think Hak-Ju was expendable.

Regardless, I guess I'm just not sold on the Cubs farm system. Its ranked in the bottom half for a reason.
Dave-O

View user profile http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:33 pm

If anybody other than Dusty Baker is managing that team down the stretch, Prior and wood's arms may not have been on the verge of falling off at that point. Also, one guy made a bad play, not the whole team. And no self respecting Cub fan with half a brain even remotely blames Bartman, he was just a guy in the wrong place at the wrong time. Like I said, the botched double play ball was the back breaker in that game.
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:39 pm

@Dave-O wrote:
@mul21 wrote:Honestly, I'm pretty high on Lemahieu, I think he can be a very solid 2B for a bunch of years. He's going to develop more power as he fills out. Another guy is Ryan Flaherty, who probably should have been called up instead of Lemahieu at this point.

Also, Archer went to TB in the Garza trade and is kind of sucking right now because he's really struggling to throw strikes. The guy that hurt in that deal was Hak-Ju Lee, who's hitting like .350 and has stolen a bunch of bases in AA. Guyer also went in that deal, but between Szczur, B Jackson, and Jae Hoon Ha, I think the OF is going to be fine. I just hope Vitters continues to figure it out and finds a little patience, because if he can do that, he has the potential to be a .300/25/100 guy, whether he's at 1st, 3rd or the OF.

In 2013, Garza will still be around but Z is likely gone, McNutt, Wells, and Cash will be there. There's a kid who just blew out his elbow and had TJS, Robert Whitenack who has a chance to be a top end guy, but we'll see how he comes back from the Tommy John.

Ah yes, I forgot Archer and Guyer were in that deal. However, I'm not sold on Hak-Ju. Too light hitting for my preference. And with Castro, Barney, Lake, and Lemahieu as middle infielders, I think Hak-Ju was expendable.

Regardless, I guess I'm just not sold on the Cubs farm system. Its ranked in the bottom half for a reason.

In all seriousness I don't know much about the Cubs farm system but the Sox farm system is not much better either. There is no doubt that they are at the bottom. And that is a shame because the is how you build not only good times but great teams a problem both of our teams have. I mean this years Sox are another great example that you can put all these good to so call great players together and they can't win for shit. Why? Well I think it comes down to chemistry something guys learn by playing together in the farm system and also from spending time playing together in the bigs. I think the Dodgers tried the same thing back a few years and it was just horrible and I believe they either finished last or darn close to last in the West.
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:43 pm

@mul21 wrote:If anybody other than Dusty Baker is managing that team down the stretch, Prior and wood's arms may not have been on the verge of falling off at that point. Also, one guy made a bad play, not the whole team. And no self respecting Cub fan with half a brain even remotely blames Bartman, he was just a guy in the wrong place at the wrong time. Like I said, the botched double play ball was the back breaker in that game.

True, but we've seen what Buckner went through and his play did not cost the Red Sox the series.
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:45 pm

@Nick Morris wrote:
@mul21 wrote:If anybody other than Dusty Baker is managing that team down the stretch, Prior and wood's arms may not have been on the verge of falling off at that point. Also, one guy made a bad play, not the whole team. And no self respecting Cub fan with half a brain even remotely blames Bartman, he was just a guy in the wrong place at the wrong time. Like I said, the botched double play ball was the back breaker in that game.

True, but we've seen what Buckner went through and his play did not cost the Red Sox the series.

Disagree, he fields that ball and steps on 1st, the Red Sox Likely win the game and break the curse 18 years earlier.
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:46 pm

Is there a typo here? I only know red sox. Sleep
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:50 pm

@mul21 wrote:
@Nick Morris wrote:

Disagree, he fields that ball and steps on 1st, the Red Sox Likely win the game and break the curse 18 years earlier.

But that was Game 6...The Sox could have won the series in Game 7.
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:51 pm

@Jerry wrote:Is there a typo here? I only know red sox. Sleep

There is only one pair of Sox...and they happen to be white Razz
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:00 pm

As for Wood's and Prior's arms and what Dusty did I disagree. If I remember right the Cubs bullpen was not all that great that year. So I think it was the starting pitching that got them there and Dusty didn't have confidence in the pen in that series so he went with his go to guys and well they just ran out of gas.

I feel that is were the Sox got lucky in 05 were the bullpen was solid and the starting pitching was good but because of the great job the pen did during the year the arms of the starters were well rested and it showed in the playoffs. Plus the pen came up big in game 3 in Boston against the Red Sox.

Either way you touched on a great point that if you want to win the Series you have to have good pitching during the playoffs. Sure you need timely hitting and good defense but Pitching in my mind is the KEY!

As for Bartman I agree with you but that must mean there really aren't many real Cub fans because again if my memory is correct there sure were a lot of people point the finger at the guy. Hell he had to move out of the state.
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry on Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:05 pm

@Mrs. Schuey wrote:
@Jerry wrote:Is there a typo here? I only know red sox. Sleep

There is only one pair of Sox...and they happen to be white Razz

You know I don't know those games, but I heard once upon a time, white sox got stabbed by Yankee and became red sox. Very Happy
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:06 pm

There were several games late in the year where Dusty left Prior in particular in the game to throw 120+ pitches when the Cubs had a 4-5+ run lead. Just pure stupidity. If you looked up all the guys who have blown out elbows or shoulders pitching for Dusty, it might make you cry. And you'll never convince me otherwise.
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O on Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:21 pm

I am dead serious when I say this: I have a better arm than Juan Pierre. He barely made it to the cut off man!!!
Dave-O

View user profile http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey on Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:22 pm

@Dave-O wrote:I am dead serious when I say this: I have a better arm than Juan Pierre. He barely made it to the cut off man!!!

I can't stand Juan Pierre!
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:24 pm

@Dave-O wrote:I am dead serious when I say this: I have a better arm than Juan Pierre. He barely made it to the cut off man!!!

Dude, I have a twice surgically repaired shoulder and I'm pretty sure I have a better arm than he does!
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:29 pm

Pierre throws like a girl oh wait I'm sure some girls can throw better then Pierre.
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:29 pm

The Sox should cut Pierre and call up Viciedo to play left field...
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:31 pm

@Nick Morris wrote:

I like him but the problem he had earlier in the year was he couldn't catch a fly ball or hit. He just got off to a rough start.
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:32 pm

@Schuey wrote:
@Nick Morris wrote:

I like him but the problem he had earlier in the year was he couldn't catch a fly ball or hit. Do like him thought he just got off to a rough start.

The kid can rake, but the injury late in Spring Training really cost him any chance of making the opening day roster...
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete B on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:56 am

Okay - I'm not going to comment on this past thread or past history - but that was the worst ninth inning performance I can recollect by any team - To quote the great Casey Stengal "Does anyone here know how to play this game?"
Pete B
Poster
Poster

View user profile http://www.ahouseinthewoods.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:24 am

@Pete B wrote:Okay - I'm not going to comment on this past thread or past history - but that was the worst ninth inning performance I can recollect by any team - To quote the great Casey Stengal "Does anyone here know how to play this game?"

You gotta remember that it was the Cubs and the White Sox.
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete B on Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:43 am

@Nick Morris wrote:
@Pete B wrote:Okay - I'm not going to comment on this past thread or past history - but that was the worst ninth inning performance I can recollect by any team - To quote the great Casey Stengal "Does anyone here know how to play this game?"

Point taken.
Pete B
Poster
Poster

View user profile http://www.ahouseinthewoods.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:42 am

@Pete B wrote:
@Nick Morris wrote:

Point taken.

Exactly...crappy teams = crappy play
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego on Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:15 am

Wow, I can't believe y'all are still talking Cubs and Sox. Hadn't you heard that both teams are scheduled for contraction in 2013?
Donald Trump is planning on renovating Wrigley for his new football league and the city is turning U.S. Cellular into a monstrous homeless shelter.

From the smell from the Southside, maybe they have already started.
Diego
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:12 am

jimd wrote:Wow, I can't believe y'all are still talking Cubs and Sox. Hadn't you heard that both teams are scheduled for contraction in 2013?
Donald Trump is planning on renovating Wrigley for his new football league and the city is turning U.S. Cellular into a monstrous homeless shelter.

From the smell from the Southside, maybe they have already started.

Isn't US Cellular Field already a homeless shelter??? scratch
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top