365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Weight Training + Running

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Weight Training + Running

Post  Mike MacLellan on Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:29 pm

I may have asked this a long time ago, but I don't remember the response.

I've been on a sort of hiatus from anything steady since Thanksgiving. Basically, I'm trying to hit the gym, run, and ride at least 2x/week each. Sometimes that works out differently, but overall, I'd say that's what I've been averaging.

I find that most of the time I get to the gym, I don't want to work my legs too hard in fear of killing the next day's ride/run. So, I skip leg day. Which is kind of dumb, because my legs lack explosive strength/power. Sure, they go on for days and days, but that top-end push just isn't there.

So I ask you all; if you are/were/can imagine training for a race (ie consistently), when would you try to squeeze in a good leg workout? The day before a rest day? On an otherwise hard day? On a recovery day?
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Re: Weight Training + Running

Post  mul21 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:15 pm

Honestly, if you're training for a race, doing something other than maintenance type leg lifting probably isn't a good idea. You'll be sending your muscles mixed messages and probably not be getting the most out of your training that you can. If you're not really training for a race, I'd try to schedule it on a day off of running that was followed by an easy day. I've found that an easy 20 minute warm up on a stationary bike has really helped reduce soreness the next day as well, and any residual soreness you do have can be worked out on the easy run that next day.

Also, to add some of that power you're looking for, you can do calves just about every other day. When I was lifting a lot in college, my buddy and I would throw in calves and abs at the end of just about every workout.
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:00 pm

Because I'm old and a girl, my approach to weight lifting is more for strength than anything else. However, I have found that strengthening my hamstrings, quads, and calves is necessary and I'm sure that my ITB issues this past weekend were a result of my slacking off some. I usually go to the gym on my easy days and make my day off a true day off (sometimes I swim that day, but that is because it is completely different). Believe it or not, I have and do actually do some power/agility drills (again on an easy day), and they have helped me as well.

I never did anything in the gym when I was your age because that was only for the meathead guys. lol!
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever on Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:17 am

I do strength training twice a week on recovery days. Usually I run an easy 5mi on the treadmill then do a series of 45-90 min strength which includes many lunges with an 8 pound medicine ball some onto a bosu ball inverted. It also involves a barbell lunges and squats. The rest is core work as well as balance type maneuvers to improve balance. The objective is to maintain overall body and core strength to minimize muscle imbalances as well as improve running efficiency. I'd say you probably don't want to do any serious weight training on your leg muscles during a running cycle since the act of running itself will over time build those muscles. The repetitive nature of distance running tends to build those muscles naturally so I'd say focus on keeping opposing muscles strengthened to avoid imbalances that lead to injury.
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:36 am

@fostever wrote:The repetitive nature of distance running tends to build those muscles naturally so I'd say focus on keeping opposing muscles strengthened to avoid imbalances that lead to injury.

This is more or less what I'm going for, in the long run (no pun intended).

I'd like to work on my plyometrics/overall strength in my legs for the time being, since I'm not training for anything, for now. But once I get back into a schedule, maintenance is what it'll be about.

Still not positive when or how I'll fit it all in, but I guess I'll experiment a bit. Found some good cycling drills that I could use on my group rides, too.

Thanks for the responses, folks!
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O on Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:46 pm

I would focus instead on a functional strength routine that will more readily translate to running improvements. Off the top of my head: Lunges onto a bosu ball, side lunges, single leg squats, medicine ball hamstring curls, and monster walks with a resistence band are all great for leg and core strength.

Right now I am doing two different routines twice per week. They take 20-30 minutes so perfect for after easy runs, and they provide all the strength work that's needed for running, imo. I also do lunges and body weight squats before every run.

Functional Strength Routine 1 (at the gym)
• pullups
• pushups
• bicycles
• hamstring curls w/ Swiss ball
• russians w/ med ball
• single leg squats
• lower ab hold
• reverse leg lifts w/ swiss ball
• eccentric calves
• shin lifts w/ resistance band

Functional Strength Routine 2 (at home)
• side-to-side walks w/ resistance band
• monster walks
• knee crunches
• hip ups
• side crunches
• hip raises (for your glutes/hamstring)
• front planks w/ leg raises
• side planks w/ leg raises
• supermen
• Rockys
Dave-O

View user profile http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:21 pm

I just hired a strength coach and I will fill you in on what he has me doing. Everything we will be doing is based for endurance running.

Sterling is assistant coach at Loyola and at once coached at Lewis. He has also coached runners at 3 Olympic games between 2004 and 2012.

So what I'm with with his knowledge base and help I'm going to strength my body and correct my weaknesses and hope this will help make the difference in my push to complete at a high level in the Ultra scene. It sure is going to be interesting.
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:56 pm

I try to get in my leg workouts twice a week (normally tuesdays and thursdays). Those are the days when I am running my mid distance runs. That way I avoid taxing my legs when I need them for the longer distances.
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP on Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:15 pm

I try to do the leg workouts the day after a hard run (after a tempo, speed or long run). I think just as important as the legs are strengthening the hips and glutes, don't forget those.
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Coleman on Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:00 am

@JohnP wrote:I try to do the leg workouts the day after a hard run (after a tempo, speed or long run). I think just as important as the legs are strengthening the hips and glutes, don't forget those.
Absolutely! I suffered two months off running last year, just because I neglected these.
Chris Coleman
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:02 pm

@Chris Coleman wrote:
@JohnP wrote:I try to do the leg workouts the day after a hard run (after a tempo, speed or long run). I think just as important as the legs are strengthening the hips and glutes, don't forget those.
Absolutely! I suffered two months off running last year, just because I neglected these.
Yup, I have worked on the glutes ever since I blew mine out at Chicago in 2010. I have found that squats and lunges work the best.
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz on Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:42 am

Do you do strides at all?
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile