365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boston Marathon Discussion Thread

+28
Seth Harrison
Bob
StevenT42
Alex Kubacki
John Kilpatrick
fostever
nkrichards
mountandog
kath
Mark B
carleenp
Penelope
Mike MacLellan
Julio
dot520
Dave Wolfe
Ben Z
ssilvert
Dave-O
Martin VW
healdgator
Scott C
Julie
Michael Mitchell
mul21
ounce
Jerry
Nick Morris
32 posters

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Boston Marathon Discussion Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Boston Marathon Discussion Thread

Post  ounce Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:17 pm

Martin VW wrote:So, explosion was at 2:45, or 4:45 after Wave 1 started and 4:25 after Wave 2.

David says Vivian started at 10:30, and finished in 4:09:xx so she would have finished just before.

Michele's projected finishing time was to occur at 2:48:45 ET. Michele was a little faster than Vivian today. That was as of the 40K timing mat. No finishing time for Michele, yet.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Boston Marathon Discussion Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Boston Marathon Discussion Thread

Post  Martin VW Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:20 pm

The Forum Restaurant is at 755 Boylston, explosion was closer to Marathon Sports, 671 Boylston. About a block further up.
Martin VW
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:21 pm

ounce wrote:
Martin VW wrote:So, explosion was at 2:45, or 4:45 after Wave 1 started and 4:25 after Wave 2.

David says Vivian started at 10:30, and finished in 4:09:xx so she would have finished just before.

Michele's projected finishing time was to occur at 2:48:45 ET. Michele was a little faster than Vivian today. That was as of the 40K timing mat. No finishing time for Michele, yet.

Based on the first 5K split, Michele would have started around 10:40, so she would have been finishing right as the explosions happened if it was 2:50 and she was finishing around 4:10. I'm really concerned we haven't heard from her and really hope she didn't have any family in the area of the explosion.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:22 pm

Martin VW wrote:The Forum Restaurant is at 755 Boylston, explosion was closer to Marathon Sports, 671 Boylston. About a block further up.

This is where the explosions occurred according to the Boston Globe

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/packages/images/newsgraphics/2013/0415-boston-explosion/boston-explosion-1.png
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin VW Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:22 pm

ounce wrote:

So, Michele would have been among the first runners rerouted. I'm sure they didn't have timing mats.

If she finished, as opposed to stopping 3 minutes form the finish. Which is what I probably would have done of I were told not to turn onto Hereford.
Martin VW
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:23 pm

mul21 wrote:
ounce wrote:

Based on the first 5K split, Michele would have started around 10:40, so she would have been finishing right as the explosions happened if it was 2:50 and she was finishing around 4:10. I'm really concerned we haven't heard from her and really hope she didn't have any family in the area of the explosion.

Never hoped somebody crashed in a marathon before (and came alone), but I'm sure we all are here.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:24 pm

Martin VW wrote:The Forum Restaurant is at 755 Boylston, explosion was closer to Marathon Sports, 671 Boylston. About a block further up.

Maybe each location is the location for the two bombs. I believe The Forum is at the finish line?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:24 pm

ounce wrote:

Man I hope she finished ahead of Vivian...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin VW Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:25 pm

ounce wrote:

Maybe each location is the location for the two bombs. I believe The Forum is at the finish line?

Marathon Sports is. So, it was two explosions a block apart. That rules out a gas main, in my mind.
Martin VW
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:26 pm

Martin VW wrote:
ounce wrote:

Marathon Sports is. So, it was two explosions a block apart. That rules out a gas main, in my mind.

Boston Globe saying two more bombs were found near the finish and dismantled.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:28 pm

Dave-O wrote:
Martin VW wrote:
ounce wrote:

Definitely rules out accident for me...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin VW Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:28 pm

Dave-O wrote:
Martin VW wrote:
ounce wrote:

Just heard a third explosion may have been intentinal detonation.
Martin VW
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:29 pm

So I just heard that the Newtown families were in the VIP section near where the bombs went off. Not confirmed, but I really hope this isn't related to that.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin VW Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:30 pm

Martin VW wrote:
Dave-O wrote:
Martin VW wrote:
ounce wrote:

Just heard a third explosion may have been intentinal detonation.

Yup, confirmed, third explosion was a controlled detonation.
Martin VW
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Julio Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:30 pm

The bomb squad did a controlled detonation of a third bomb that didn't go off automatically...
Julio
Julio

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:31 pm

CBS reporting that Mass General has 19 injured, of which 6 are critical. CBS' doctor/reporter got the info from a doctor at Mass General.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin VW Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:32 pm

mul21 wrote:So I just heard that the Newtown families were in the VIP section near where the bombs went off. Not confirmed, but I really hope this isn't related to that.

Was on the opposite side of the street of the stands.

Deb was in the VIP Section last year, she says there was no screening of any kind. But you have to have a ticket and they aren't easy to come by. There were left on the street in bags.
Martin VW
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin VW Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:33 pm

ounce wrote:CBS reporting that Mass General has 19 injured, of which 6 are critical. CBS' doctor/reporter got the info from a doctor at Mass General.

Schuey said he saw a guy with both legs gone.
Martin VW
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:33 pm

mul21 wrote:So I just heard that the Newtown families were in the VIP section near where the bombs went off. Not confirmed, but I really hope this isn't related to that.

In honor of the Newtown families, BAA had the town's City Seal at mile 26 on the mile 26 flag. Not sure if that's where they were or not.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:34 pm

Martin VW wrote:
ounce wrote:CBS reporting that Mass General has 19 injured, of which 6 are critical. CBS' doctor/reporter got the info from a doctor at Mass General.

Sad...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:35 pm

Take this for what it is worth, b/c it's the NYPost and isn't worth your trust, but here it is anyway:

12 dead, nearly 50 injured after 2 explosions rock Boston Marathon, suspect identified and being guarded in hospital

• From POST STAFF REPORT
  • Last Updated: 4:28 PM, April 15, 2013

• Posted: 3:04 PM, April 15, 2013

BOSTON — Two explosions shattered the euphoria of the
Boston Marathon finish line on Monday, sending authorities out on the
course to carry off the injured while the stragglers in the 26.2-mile
trek from Hopkinton were rerouted away from the smoking site of the
blasts.
A federal law-enforcement source confirmed to The Post
there are at least 12 dead and nearly 50 injured. Fox News reported that
Massachusetts General Hospital was treating 10 people with amputated
limbs and all operating rooms were on hold.
Authorities have a identified a suspect, who is currently being guarded in a Boston hospital with shrapnel wounds.

Law-enforcement sources said at least the first explosion occurred in the lobby of the Fairmont Hotel.
PHOTOS: EXPLOSIONS ROCK BOSTON MARATHON

"There were two bombs that exploded near the finish line in
today's Boston Marathon," The Boston Marathon's official Facebook page
read. "We are working with law enforcement to understand what exactly
has happened."
According to reports, authorities in Boston found
two more explosive devices that had not gone off and police were
dismantling them.
The airspace above the city was ordered cleared as well.
President Obama was briefed about the incident shortly after the explosions occured.
Obama
called Boston mayor Tom Menino and Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick
to express his concern fot those that were injured and make clear that
his administration is ready to provide needed support as they respond to
this incident.
“This changes everything [in New York],’’ one
source told The Post. “Everyone’s on high alert. Our marathon was
canceled in November. Who knows if that changed someone’s plans?’’
Boston Marathon Discussion Thread - Page 6 BostonMarathonExplosions161616--520x415

AP

In New York, the NYPD has ramped up its anti-terror efforts at
landmarks and other potential terrorist targets “to make sure there’s
no nonsense going on here,’’ a law-enforcement source said.
Officers are scouring live feed from surveillance videos throughout the city to monitor possible events, the source said.
NYPD
Deputy Commissioner Paul Browne said that the NYPD has deployed its
Critical Response Vehicles as well until more about the explosion is
learned.
The FDNY says their units have also been advised to use elevated caution due to the explosions.

Relatives of the victims of December’s school massacre in
Newtown, Conn. were among those attending the race finish at a VIP area.
It was not known of any of the relatives were among the casualties.
A White House official said President Obama was getting updates on the apparent bombing.
Competitors
and race organizers were crying as they fled the chaos. Bloody
spectators were being carried to the medical tent that had been set up
to care for fatigued runners.
Boston Marathon Discussion Thread - Page 6 BostonMarathon-Explosions161628--520x415

AP

"There are a lot of people down," said one man, whose bib No.
17528 identified him as Frank Deruyter of North Carolina. He was not
injured, but marathon workers were carrying one woman, who did not
appear to be a runner, to the medical area as blood gushed from her leg.
A Boston police officer was wheeled from the course with a leg injury
that was bleeding.
About three hours after the winners crossed the
line, there was a loud explosion on the north side of Boylston Street,
just before the photo bridge that marks the finish line. Another
thunderous explosion could be heard a few seconds later.
Runner Laura McLean of Toronto said she heard two explosions outside the medical tent.

Cherie Falgoust was waiting for her husband, who was running the race.
''I
was expecting my husband any minute," she said. "I don't know what this
building is ... it just blew. Just a big bomb, a loud boom, and then
glass everywhere. Something hit my head. I don't know what it was. I
just ducked."
About half of the runners -- virutally all the elite competitors -- had completed the course when the twin explosions went off.
It
created a mad rush of bystanders, who frantically dashed away from the
scene. Moments later, first reporters ran to the wounded, as their blood
stained the Boston pavement.
Smoke filled the previously crystal-clear sky and the sounds of sirens rang for blocks.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin VW Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:35 pm

Martin VW wrote:

Sorry, I should clarify, a spectator, not a runner. No reports on any runners being injured yet.
Martin VW
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:40 pm

This is horrible. So sad to read this update. And if it did have something to do with Newtown that is just beyond terrible. Like losing your kid isn't enough.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:41 pm

OK -- friends have heard that Michele is ok per FB.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:42 pm

Posts on Michele's FB wall indicate she's okay.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next