365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where To From Here...

+5
Michele "1L" Keane
Julie
ounce
Mark B
Paula Sue
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Where To From Here... - Page 2 Empty Re: Where To From Here...

Post  Paula Sue Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:41 pm

And the day FINALLY comes when the doctor says,"Sure, you can run."  It's nice that he no longer looks at me like I have 3 eyes when I ask that question.

Today I took those first steps...a little hesitant, worried the shoulder would complain.  I decided to go at it again as I did back in...what was it...February?  I'm running 1 minute, walking 1 minute.  It gives my shoulder some 'swing time' to take the up/down force from running out of the picture.  I took Charlie with me...you know...that lazy Golden of mine.  Figured he'd keep me from going too far.  We managed 2 miles in 30 minutes.  It felt great and I wanted more...but Charlie did as I figured he would...gave me the,"We're done" stop dead in his tracks routine at the 1.5 mile mark.  So I promised him we were almost done if he'd just keep up.  He did and we did.

I'm excited.  So much so I started planning my training once again.  I'm almost afraid to do that.  Seems like every time I do, something happens to stop me.  However, I can't let fate rule my life.  So I now have the Ft. Myers Half Marathon (Nov. 10th) on my schedule.  And I've turned Todd on to the Gasparilla Half in Tampa (Feb.23rd)...sweetening the idea that it would be his first half in his new age group.  His birthday is that day!  I think I have him in on that.

Where to after that?  I'm not sure.  I want to sprinkle in what ever races I can find to keep me working.  I do feel a bit melancholy that I won't be running Boston 2014...but you know where my sights are for 2015.  I just have to keep upright and trained for the Columbus Marathon 2014.
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

http://oceanbreeze-lake-erie.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:47 pm

Woohoo!!!!  Glad to see you are back - maybe you will make it over here to run the Cleveland Half or 10K in May.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:36 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Woohoo!!!!  Glad to see you are back - maybe you will make it over here to run the Cleveland Half or 10K in May.
There's a definite chance of that, Michele.  I'm already making out my race calendar for 2014 alien
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:01 am

Gasparilla for the half has been in my sights for years now.  Probably 2015 because I might stick to freezing Ohio for the February one (Last chance for Boston, Dublin).  Good to see you back at it!
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:32 pm

dot520 wrote:Gasparilla for the half has been in my sights for years now.  Probably 2015 because I might stick to freezing Ohio for the February one (Last chance for Boston, Dublin).  Good to see you back at it!
Gasparilla is a really neat race.  Someday I'd like to do the whole distance classic and get the jacket.  Maybe in 2015...of course Todd would think I lost my mind if I told him that was on my bucket list for 'someday'.

Good luck at Last Chance for Boston...we've had some Striders do well with it.
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:34 pm

I'm late to your blog, but saw you're back after surgery, so congrats!! Isn't it the greatest feeling in the world when you get the go-ahead to start running again--even though the first miles are slow and out of shape, just the joy of being out there is awesome.  I had to laugh about Charlie stopping dead at 1.5 miles.  Sounds like he can be a useful tool to help you not do too much too soon if you take him with you. Smile  Keep up the running and you'll have your BQ for 2015 soon.
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:32 am

The going is slow...and the 1 mile doggie is back to his sedentary habits (watching me from the front room window).  Running is feeling good even though I'm still running 1 minute, walking 1 minute.  Last week I stuck to 2 miles every other day.  I ended the week with our favorite trail race in Hocking Hills State Park...the Indian Run.

Almost every fall we have gone to Hocking Hills with our running club to run the Indian Run.  The distances are 5K, 10K, 20K, 40K and 60K.  I usually run the 20K however this year I knew I wouldn't be ready for the distance.  For a moment, I considered the 10K...but only for a moment.  I settled on the 5K knowing I'd be walking a lot of that.  The trail course at Hocking Hills is tough with roots, rocks, tree stumps as well as fallen trees mixed in with steep inclines and declines.

Todd and I along with one other couple decided to go to Hocking Hills on Thursday (the race was Saturday).  We usually tent camp with the club.  We decided to rent one of the three 'camper cabins' in the same area our club chooses to camp in.  The 'camper cabins' are nothing more than a shed on a concrete floor with a porch.  Not much to write home about.

In the end, we were more comfortable than our fellow tent campers.  When we arrived Thursday afternoon, the skies opened up and gave us a considerable amount of rain until dark.  We were nice and dry in our 'shed'.  Friday the sun came out and life was good.  We stayed in the campground area as the club members arrived and set up their tents.  Everyone was excited about the race and planning strategies around the campfire.

Saturday morning the rain set back in around 3:30AM and never quit.  We went to the campground around 9AM to see what our tent campers plans were.  After some deliberation most of us who had planned to run, decided to get with the program.  In the Indian Run, 5, 10, and 20K runners could start and time between 9 and 11AM.  We arrived at the start point at 10:30AM...and it was raining...still.

It was a muddy, slippery, uncomfortable run...but it was fun.  I'm just glad to be out there.  It gives me a reason to keep going...to work harder each day.  Parts of the trail were ankle deep in shoe sucking mud.  I will remember to take duct tape in future years, although I didn't lose a shoe.  Had I been running my normal pace in this race, I'd have lost a shoe for sure!

The rest of the story: I did come away with my slowest 5K ever.  I walked more than I ran.  I was the only woman in my age group.  Sad way to back up to a 1st place AG finish.  Hopefully next year I will be healthy and back in the 20K where I have a little competition.
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:05 pm

Sounds like a fun race, and who cares that you were the only one in your AG - you were there and you finished which is all that matters.  Glad to see things are coming around and no matter how fast or slow.

You will need to remind me about those Hocking Hills races next fall as they sound like fun.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:43 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:You will need to remind me about those Hocking Hills races next fall as they sound like fun.
It is a lot of fun there...especially when it DOESN'T RAIN ;-)  The website is: http://www.explorehockinghills.com/activities/indian-run.aspx.  There is a Baymont Inn in Logan which is a good alternative to camping.  There are some nice privately owned cabins and cottages in the area, too.  It's a good idea to research on Tripadvisor.  The camping cabins we stayed in had a lot to be desired.  It was a good alternative to camping with my shoulder problem.

There is a lot to see in the area.  The Old Man's Cave area, Conkle's Hollow, Ash Cave and Cantwell Cliffs are awesome hiking areas.  It's a very popular area to visit.
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:18 am

That does sound fun, especially the camping part. The ankle-deep mud, not so much, but I guess you learn to bring old shoes for that type of thing.  And duck tape!! Agree with Michelle, doesn't matter if you were the only one in your age group.  Celebrate yourself being out there and being able to run now that your healed.
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:26 am

Just a quick update...getting back into a routine of running is coming along.  There is a bit of life interference right now (getting Ocean Breeze winterized and out of the water for her winter sleep, getting us ready to head south for our winter of fun, etc.).  I'm finishing up physical therapy with just two more sessions this coming week...and soon to have a list of exercises to do at home.  I think I'm going to plan those for my 'days off'...kind of like cross training.  I still have intermittent pain from the shoulder and my therapist says that will continue yet for a while since it takes so long for tendons to heal.  I look forward to having no reminders of June 8th, 2013.

I'm anxious, too, to have time to get into longer weekend runs.  I really, really, really want to run the HM at Fort Myers Beach mid-November.  Only time will tell if I can get back up to 10 miles before that.  Not looking for anything glorious...just keep increasing the desire.  I'm hesitant to start putting marathons back on my schedule...but you know that's where I'm headed.  It's been way too long and it's always burning inside me!
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:28 pm

Sounds like life is happening!  You know I thought it was just plain weird that I had posted in the Health forum about my shoulder and the fact that it was some impingement of the rotator cuff and then bam!  You end up in surgery.  Very odd!  Yes, glad that is all behind you now.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:18 pm

dot520 wrote:You know I thought it was just plain weird that I had posted in the Health forum about my shoulder and the fact that it was some impingement of the rotator cuff and then bam!  You end up in surgery.  Very odd!

I had no choice after the accident but I will say, Todd's brother let his shoulder problems go for many, many years.  He finally went to see my doctor after I had my surgery.  Because he waited so long, some of his problems cannot be rectified.  However, there are somethings that can be done to help relieve his pain.  He is having Rotator Cuff surgery along with removal of spurs and arthritic damage next week.  If you are having problems, don't put off anything that should be done.  Take care Dot...look forward to running into you at another race Smile 
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:25 am

Good to see you back at it.  Hopefully the both of us can return successfully.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:39 am

Alex Kubacki wrote:Good to see you back at it.  Hopefully the both of us can return successfully.
Amen, Alex...I'm tired of 3 steps forward 5 steps back as I'm sure you are.  Never know what lies ahead...just keeping my fingers crossed and trying to be conservative in my progress.  Take care and hope to see you on the roads one of these days.
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:27 pm

So far, so good.  I've been running (well, run/walking) for the last 5 weeks and maintaining a schedule.  This is my first week of running 4 days instead of 3.  Life is good!

My formal physical therapy for the shoulder is done.  I have home exercises that I'm supposed to do everyday.  I'm managing 2 to 3 times a week.  My thought is to do them on days I don't run and call it cross training...seems fair to me.

We head south in a little over a week.  I'm looking forward to running in warmer weather, although it hasn't been too bad here yet.  I'm still managing to run in shorts with a long sleeved shirt or heavier pullover at times...like today.  It was 47* when I ran this morning Mad 

I still have my eyes on the Ft. Myers Beach HM.  If I do run it, it will be more for fun and motivation rather than speed and time.  Doubt I will be much faster than I am now...and I'm certainly far from my norm right now.  Doesn't matter...I'm happy with my progress.
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:01 pm

Good work, Paula Sue.  Also making sure that you and Kelly connect.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:38 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Good work, Paula Sue.  Also making sure that you and Kelly connect.
Have her email me and put 'Skin Cancer Research' in the subject line.  Hope I can be of some help to her.
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:37 pm

I wish I was snow-birding with you! It's cold here, too.  Florida will be a nice change! Glad to see the running has been coming along nicely.
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:34 am

Penelope wrote:I wish I was snow-birding with you! It's cold here, too.  Florida will be a nice change! Glad to see the running has been coming along nicely.
It was 36* when I finished my run this morning...at 10:30AM Rolling Eyes   Gees!  At least the wind wasn't blowing.
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:38 pm

Paula Sue wrote:
Penelope wrote:I wish I was snow-birding with you! It's cold here, too.  Florida will be a nice change! Glad to see the running has been coming along nicely.
It was 36* when I finished my run this morning...at 10:30AM Rolling Eyes   Gees!  At least the wind wasn't blowing.
Not quite as cold here, but I might be a bit closer to the lake (like directly on it), but it was raining and windy - pretty yucky if you ask me.  Glad I only had 30 min to run.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:53 pm

What the H*LL !!!  We've been in FL for almost 6 months...and I'm still taking 2 steps forward and 5 steps back.  Watching the Boston Marathon this morning brought a lot of emotion.  Still watching friends and V-friends as they either are finished (hey there Jerry Young!  You got some legs there, man!) or are making their way along the course.  God bless you all for sticking with training and making today a great day.

I don't even want to think about where my next race will be, if I'll be ready for it and when my long run will go past 6 miles.  Nope, I'm not injured...just not motivated.  It's something I have a hard time understanding when I once was so dedicated to my training.  I'm old but I don't think I'm old.  I've healed well from the throng of injuries that seemed to follow me for a few years.  I just can't seem to get that desire back...that want to work hard enough to race well.  So I'm puddling along.

I just wanted to let you all know I'm still out here...still upright, breathing and doing some running.
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum