365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Back, in the Ring

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Back, in the Ring

Post  Matt W on Tue May 21, 2013 9:44 am

Kenny B. wrote:Matt,

Good to see you BIA (back in action). Not easy to make the transition back from life (the external world) to running which I like to think is my internal world. But, you did it and you are here making progress. I hope to join you in the spirit of blogging soon.

Thanks, Kenny. It's good to see you back posting here. I just need to get back into the spirit of blogging more often. It's one of the many things that I haven't quite gotten into the routine of doing again.

Schuey wrote:Hey stud hang in there it will all come together! Trust me I have been going through the same thing. I think the hardest part is knowing were we have been in the past and wanting to be there. Plus you have to admit like myself there have been some changes in your life over the last year and that plays a big role.

It really takes time to find that balance and manage the time and again on top of that getting back into peak racing shape stinks! Believe me brother it will come and before you know it you will be back to were you want and need to be. Just keep believe and keep on putting in the miles no matter how many they are and most important Matt ENJOY THE RUN!! The more you enjoy it the easier it is to do it!!

And by the way your darn easy half time is just a little slower then my overall half PR, I really dislike you at times!!!! Smile Surprised Very Happy

Thanks, buddy! I totally agree about knowing where you've been and trying to get there again. Sometimes I think I've forgotten what it's like to be the me I once was. Getting that mental mindset during runs of cranking out faster paces or wanting to go longer has been tough to recapture. Every now and then I get glimpses that I still have some potential, but it's also humbling to go through this. There are times when I don't think I have enough time to get in shape for a fall marathon, let alone the one I'm doing on Sunday. It will probably be my most challenging marathon because I'll really need to be on my game to pace it well and tough it out at the end because of my lack of fitness. The temps look okay for a Memorial Day marathon, but the humidity will a bit high for my taste.

Oh well, no matter what, I'll have the story of the time I tried to run a marathon on one month's training.
Matt W
Poster
Poster

View user profile http://www.redrockrunningcompany.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O on Tue May 21, 2013 9:59 am

Great to see you training again Matt! I too was wondering if I'd ever make it back to Boston, and now I can't wait for the spring.

1:21 half, huh? See, the talent is still there. It won't take long to really uncover it!
Dave-O

View user profile http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W on Fri May 24, 2013 10:05 pm

Dave-O wrote:Great to see you training again Matt! I too was wondering if I'd ever make it back to Boston, and now I can't wait for the spring.

1:21 half, huh? See, the talent is still there. It won't take long to really uncover it!

Thanks Dave. It's a lot easier to fake a 1/2 than a full, so I'm hoping I make it through the last 10K without it getting Ugly with a capital U. Hopefully, I can get the BQ necessary to see you again next spring. I haven't run a marathon with this little hay in the barn before, so it could get interesting and take a good day to survive.
Matt W
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W on Sun May 26, 2013 1:18 pm

I was pretty nervous about the race, but it went better than I expected. Downhills help. I ran 2:55:52 or so, but my time showed 2:57:13 on the board. I think that was my gun time from when the half marathon started. I will post a full race report when I have time, but wanted to give a quick update.
Matt W
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W on Mon May 27, 2013 11:48 pm

I've made it back home, and posted the race report. Now, I'm going to take a few days off to recover and figure out my plan going forward. I definitely don't want to be undertrained like that again for a marathon. I'll probably ride my bike a little bit this week too.

Training for a fall marathon is always tricky around here with the heat. To complicate matters more, I'll be taking a 2 1/2 week trip to Europe in July. I will definitely need to get in some runs while I'm there, but I'm not sure how consistent I'll get to be.

Now I have a good idea of where my fitness is, and can build on it. I was pretty much in the dark about what I could do a month or so ago, so I've got that going for me. I'm just looking forward to getting done with this school year and then turning my focus on St. George.
Matt W
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Tue May 28, 2013 3:03 pm

I'm going to Europe for 2 1/2 weeks in June, and I figure with all the walking that you do there (whether business or pleasure) that getting is a run can be tough. Most of the big cities (London, Paris) are fun to run in, but don't sweat it if it doesn't happen. For me, the timing is good as I need the downtime after three marathons (last one this coming Sunday). Have fun when you are there!
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:49 pm

Matt W wrote:
Schuey wrote:Hey stud hang in there it will all come together! Trust me I have been going through the same thing. I think the hardest part is knowing were we have been in the past and wanting to be there. Plus you have to admit like myself there have been some changes in your life over the last year and that plays a big role.

It really takes time to find that balance and manage the time and again on top of that getting back into peak racing shape stinks! Believe me brother it will come and before you know it you will be back to were you want and need to be. Just keep believe and keep on putting in the miles no matter how many they are and most important Matt ENJOY THE RUN!! The more you enjoy it the easier it is to do it!!

And by the way your darn easy half time is just a little slower then my overall half PR, I really dislike you at times!!!! Smile Surprised Very Happy

Thanks, buddy! I totally agree about knowing where you've been and trying to get there again. Sometimes I think I've forgotten what it's like to be the me I once was. Getting that mental mindset during runs of cranking out faster paces or wanting to go longer has been tough to recapture. Every now and then I get glimpses that I still have some potential, but it's also humbling to go through this. There are times when I don't think I have enough time to get in shape for a fall marathon, let alone the one I'm doing on Sunday. It will probably be my most challenging marathon because I'll really need to be on my game to pace it well and tough it out at the end because of my lack of fitness. The temps look okay for a Memorial Day marathon, but the humidity will a bit high for my taste.

Oh well, no matter what, I'll have the story of the time I tried to run a marathon on one month's training.

I could not agree more with your responds above. I still find it hard at times to crank out faster paces or wanting to go out and do the longer training runs. It's funny how it becomes such a much harder mental game then when you are in shape and doing the tempo/long runs. I'm finding that the more that I just ease myself into it and build on things slowly the less I feel the pressure of doing the fast runs and long runs. I guess I'm just going at it with the attitude of go out and work hard but also enjoy yourself. Hopefully this attitude will get me back to where I need to be and those longer/tougher runs will just become second nature to me again. Yes, very humbling experience!

Oh I can't stop laughing about the comment of running a marathon on lack of fitness! I could not believe how much harder Boston was this past year running it very unfit! After doing that I made a promise to myself to never to that to myself again. The funny thing is I know it will happen again someday! HaHa

Matt W wrote:
I was pretty nervous about the race, but it went better than I expected. Downhills help. I ran 2:55:52 or so, but my time showed 2:57:13 on the board. I think that was my gun time from when the half marathon started. I will post a full race report when I have time, but wanted to give a quick update.

Matt W wrote:

I've made it back home, and posted the race report. Now, I'm going to take a few days off to recover and figure out my plan going forward. I definitely don't want to be undertrained like that again for a marathon. I'll probably ride my bike a little bit this week too.

Training for a fall marathon is always tricky around here with the heat. To complicate matters more, I'll be taking a 2 1/2 week trip to Europe in July. I will definitely need to get in some runs while I'm there, but I'm not sure how consistent I'll get to be.

Now I have a good idea of where my fitness is, and can build on it. I was pretty much in the dark about what I could do a month or so ago, so I've got that going for me. I'm just looking forward to getting done with this school year and then turning my focus on St. George.

Dude like I said before you are a STUD!!!! I know it is way off your PR but this marathon really shows the talent and mental toughness you have. There is no doubt that it gave you a good idea of where your fitness is at and something that can be built on. I take it all back now about you keeping up with me in Boston!! The way things are shaping up I will see you at the start and then being staring at your back and seeing you pull away from in the early miles!!

Have to be honest I will love and enjoy seeing that and will look forward to meeting up with at the finish again hopefully within minutes!
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W on Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:28 pm

I think I've survived the end of the school year (we just have meeting/cleanup left) so hopefully I will get back in the posting habit. Recovery from the marathon went pretty well, but I decided to take it a little extra easy last week as I had a mystery pain in my shin. I figured holding back to see if it got worse was better than plowing ahead and really getting hurt.

The temps are really cranking up here, so that means I will likely become a morning runner again. I think it's supposed to be around 110 today, and our lows have been right around 80, so it's impossible to avoid the heat. That's one of the reasons that I am tinkering with a Hanson program--doing really long runs in the desert heat usually takes me past my breaking point. I think it's worth it to try this type of training as I get ready for St. George. Then I can see how I liked it as I get ready for whatever comes next. The Pfitz programs have worked really well for me in the past, and ideally, I would like to be ready to train for Boston/Lincoln with the 18/70+ program. However, there are major shakeups at work so I don't know how they will affect my responsibilities and how much time/energy I'll have dedicated to training next school year. It will be interesting to say the least.
Matt W
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:03 pm

You're running Lincoln next year? I think my family will be out there cheering.
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:13 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:I'm going to Europe for 2 1/2 weeks in June, and I figure with all the walking that you do there (whether business or pleasure) that getting is a run can be tough.  Most of the big cities (London, Paris) are fun to run in, but don't sweat it if it doesn't happen.  For me, the timing is good as I need the downtime after three marathons (last one this coming Sunday).  Have fun when you are there!

Thanks Michele!  Right now we are in the fine tuning (figuring out our original plans might not work Smile ) stage of the trip planning.  I'm sure it will be an adventure and I'm looking forward to it.  I hope you enjoy your trip as well, especially after all the marathons you've run lately--you've earned it!
Matt W
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:18 am

Well, I don't know for sure if I'll be in Lincoln next spring.  As of right now, Plan A is going back to Boston, and Lincoln is Plan B.  Next school year is shaping up to be interesting, so I'll have to see how that impacts my running.  

FWIW, I'll be in Lincoln next Tuesday.  I don't think your family will be out there cheering though.  Smile 

Julie wrote:You're running Lincoln next year? I think my family will be out there cheering.
Matt W
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:55 am

Matt W wrote:Well, I don't know for sure if I'll be in Lincoln next spring.  As of right now, Plan A is going back to Boston, and Lincoln is Plan B.  Next school year is shaping up to be interesting, so I'll have to see how that impacts my running.  

FWIW, I'll be in Lincoln next Tuesday.  I don't think your family will be out there cheering though.  Smile 

Julie wrote:You're running Lincoln next year? I think my family will be out there cheering.

we could be! And handing out homemade cookies.
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W on Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:40 pm

Well, if they are handing out cookies at Jazz in June, I'll be glad to take one or two.  Smile

Julie wrote:

Matt W wrote:Well, I don't know for sure if I'll be in Lincoln next spring.  As of right now, Plan A is going back to Boston, and Lincoln is Plan B.  Next school year is shaping up to be interesting, so I'll have to see how that impacts my running.  

we could be! And handing out homemade cookies.
Matt W
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:16 pm

Jazz in June is past our bedtime Smile
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W on Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:12 am

I am back from a 2 1/2 week trip to Europe, which was fantastic, but kept me from getting quite the number of miles I planned on running.  Oh well.  I did get a number of runs in and walked quite a bit (and also climbed a few miles worth of stairs).  If I had realized that there was a marathon in Fussen, Germany, while I was there, I would have run it as a training run, but I probably would have been limping around for the rest of the week.  

Now, I'm getting my training going in earnest, even though I'm not really worried about training paces or distances.  I just want to put in time on my feet this next month and then sharpen up in September for St. George.  It's not going to be a PR attempt; I just want to feel somewhat fit and be within 10-15 minutes of my best time.  I will hopefully be able to gear up for a faster marathon in the spring.  Right now, I just want to get over jet lag and get on the right track in terms of base building.
Matt W
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top