365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Runners for Boston

+3
Mrs. Schuey
Nick Morris
nkrichards
7 posters

Go down

Runners for Boston Empty Runners for Boston

Post  nkrichards Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:52 am

I participated in a Runners for Boston event last night. It was very moving. It was an hour away but I really wanted to go. My daughter-in-law offered to go with me so we had a stroller and we offered to take my 9 year old granddaughter as well. They had 460 people sign up but estimated well over 500 participants...a huge turnout for a community this size. They had everyone kneel at the beginning of the race and then asked the Boston marathon participants and spectators to stand. After the cheering died down they had a group play Amazing Grace on bag pipes as we slowly moved across the park. We wound our way through the park and across the river and back. It was a very moving experience. I can't say enough good things about the running community.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Runners for Boston Empty Re: Runners for Boston

Post  Nick Morris Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:03 pm

nkrichards wrote:I participated in a Runners for Boston event last night. It was very moving. It was an hour away but I really wanted to go. My daughter-in-law offered to go with me so we had a stroller and we offered to take my 9 year old granddaughter as well. They had 460 people sign up but estimated well over 500 participants...a huge turnout for a community this size. They had everyone kneel at the beginning of the race and then asked the Boston marathon participants and spectators to stand. After the cheering died down they had a group play Amazing Grace on bag pipes as we slowly moved across the park. We wound our way through the park and across the river and back. It was a very moving experience. I can't say enough good things about the running community.

We had one last night here in Madison, as well. I was unable to attend though, as I had a conflicting schedule. I know that they did have a good turn out. And you hit the nail on the head with your comment about running communities.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:54 pm

What a wonderful way to honor the victims of the Boston Marathon bombings. I love the song, Amazing Grace, and it's very appropriate for the beginning of such a run. Excellent turn out too! Thanks for sharing Very Happy
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:01 pm

Our city had a very good turn out too, in spite of sleet and cold rain!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:22 pm

We had them here in 4 locations of Indy for our Blue Mile training group. Our south side group had about 50 folks and one of the north groups had over 100 participants. We ran for 26.2 minutes.....perfect weather for the dedication.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:20 am

nkrichards wrote:... I can't say enough good things about the running community.
Amen!
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:17 pm

Dave P wrote:
nkrichards wrote:... I can't say enough good things about the running community.
Amen!

+1
What a great event. Thanks for doing it and sharing the experience.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down