365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weak hips = running injuries?

+5
Michele "1L" Keane
Chris Coleman
ounce
Jerry
JohnP
9 posters

Go down

Weak hips = running injuries? Empty Weak hips = running injuries?

Post  JohnP Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:32 pm

I saw a physical therapist early this year due to a knee injury, and he mentioned how weak my hips were, and that one side was fairly weaker than the other side (hips). Most of the exercises he had me do were to strengthen the hips. I dug up a gait analysis I had done 3-4 years ago and saw in there that it mentioned that weak hips were the leading cause of running injuries. I did a little Internet research and see that this is a common statement. I know I've been strengthening my hips and glutes most of this year and feel it has made a big difference. Anyway, just FYI, here are some good articles on this in case you are experiencing any running injuries:

http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/more-evidence-linking-runners-knee-and-weak-hips

"More Evidence Linking Runner's Knee and Weak Hips"

http://runnersconnect.net/running-injury-prevention/the-relationship-between-hip-strength-and-running-injuries-the-latest-research/

“Weak hips can often be the cause of IT band pain, patella tendonitis (runner’s knee), piriformis issues, sciatica, and a myriad of other common running injuries.”

http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-treatment/do-weak-hips-cause-pronation?page=single

New research suggests weak hips are behind injuries throughout the body”

http://www.livestrong.com/article/554834-how-does-having-weak-hips-affect-running/

The first indication of weak hips is likely to be a pain, sharp or dull, in your knee, ankle or the arch of your foot on one leg. Many runners take this as a sign that they need new or better running shoes.”

http://www.reuters.com/article/2009/05/04/us-leg-injuries-idUSTRE54342G20090504

The new study, a review of previous research findings published since 1980, found that weakness in the hip muscles may translate into a higher risk of these lower-leg injuries.

http://running.competitor.com/2012/06/injury-prevention/weak-in-the-knees-strengthen-your-hips_22950

It now appears that the most common cause of PFPS is a genu valgum, or “knock knee” effect that is linked to weakness in the hip musculature.

http://www.limrunner.com/whats-the-number-one-cause-of-running-injuries-weak-hips/

What’s The Number One Cause of Running Injuries? Weak Hips

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/oregon-project-stability-routine?page=single

All of the major leg injuries, from stress fractures to iliotibial band syndrome to Achilles tendinitis, can be traced back to instability in the hips, McHenry says.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Weak hips = running injuries? Empty Re: Weak hips = running injuries?

Post  Jerry Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:29 am

I think I will need those. Thanks John!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:48 am

Two years ago, I was amazed at how the core muscles plus all the other non-running specific muscles help make running easier and healthier. It's one of the reasons that I like yoga.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Coleman Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:09 am

Yes. Last year I pulled (weak) hip flexors on both sides and went to see a physio. He gave me suitable exercises, as you'd expect, but it was the likelihood of knee injuries in particular that really worried him.
Chris Coleman
Chris Coleman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:55 am

I'm with you on this one John. I noticed that my issues this Spring have come from my recovery from surgery and injury (achilles) and my hips and core took the brunt of the downtime. I have slowly been regaining my form and strength in the area, and I totally agree. I know that my ITB issues leading up to Boston were related to this area still being weak. I found a trainer that I like (finally) and I have added working with him 2x per week to my core classes to regain strength and work on the imbalances in the area.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  wrichman Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:14 pm

I could have told you that Wink
It's one of the most important things new runners aren't doing (IMO).
Not all running injuries are the result of weak hips (like when you're an overzealous idiot like me), but many running injuries can be prevented by keeping the hips and butt strong. I highly doubt I would have been able to train so much and execute a successful 100 without hip exercises I did 3x/week.
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Wed May 01, 2013 7:18 pm

wrichman wrote:I could have told you that Wink
Not all running injuries are the result of weak hips (like when you're an overzealous idiot like me), but many running injuries can be prevented by keeping the hips and butt strong. I highly doubt I would have been able to train so much and execute a successful 100 without hip exercises I did 3x/week.

Completely agree.

I'm getting form tips/cues from a new running buddy (who just might finish top 10 at Western States this year his first time out!) up here in NorCal and he always talks about how much 'power' there is back in that region of your body when it comes to running. One form tip he gave for uphill/downhill running is to imagine if you had no legs when you ran. How would you do it? It's taking me some time to figure out what he means but the point is to engage your core, pump your arms, stay somewhat more upright, etc. By doing all these things you start to rely more on your glutes I'm realizing. Then we have to continually strengthen them as well to maintain and/or increase the load we put on the muscles.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Wed May 01, 2013 10:34 pm

This is great, thank you for sharing John!
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun May 05, 2013 8:13 pm

wrichman wrote:I could have told you that Wink

I also agree...I neglected my hips and glutes in 2010 and got injured during my goal race. Very important areas to focus on. Thanks John!!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down