365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grade %

+5
Mark B
carleenp
Kenny B.
Michele "1L" Keane
Sara Jane
9 posters

Go down

Grade % Empty Grade %

Post  Sara Jane Thu May 16, 2013 11:46 am

Is there way to look at the data from my 610 to find out what the average grade was on a hill? It was in the middle of a run...and I know where it was mileage wise. And I can see the elevation. But I wanted to figure out the grade, if possible. I looked in both RunningAhead (which I use daily) and in the Garmin Connect...but can't figure it out.
Sara Jane
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Grade % Empty Re: Grade %

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu May 16, 2013 11:55 am

There is geometry you can use, you know. Wink (and I have no idea if the data is there, but I think it is somewhere)
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Jane Thu May 16, 2013 11:59 am

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:There is geometry you can use, you know. Wink (and I have no idea if the data is there, but I think it is somewhere)

Dude I'm an arts major.

OK, next suggestion... Razz

Sara Jane
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Thu May 16, 2013 12:16 pm

No idea what Michele said, but I have not seen anything that shows grade. You would have to calculate it yourself I believe after downloading the data onto Garmin and using distance and elevation.

There is a formula out there somewhere but I stopped figuring out my grade as I was always a "C" student anyway. Razz
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Thu May 16, 2013 12:37 pm

I have used this and other similar calculators before: http://veloroutes.org/tools/ Simply plug in your info from the Garmin.

The Garmin isn't the best at getting real accurate on elevation, but I figure it is often close enough.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Jane Thu May 16, 2013 12:45 pm

carleenp wrote:I have used this and other similar calculators before: http://veloroutes.org/tools/ Simply plug in your info from the Garmin.

The Garmin isn't the best at getting real accurate on elevation, but I figure it is often close enough.

Thanks dude! Perfect! Very Happy
Sara Jane
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu May 16, 2013 12:49 pm

If you ran that hill on a road, you can also map it using MapMyRun.com. It shows elevation profiles with grade percentages.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Jane Thu May 16, 2013 2:01 pm

Mark B wrote:If you ran that hill on a road, you can also map it using MapMyRun.com. It shows elevation profiles with grade percentages.

But isn't the mapmyrun app notoriously inaccurate. Like, even more inaccurate than Garmins, etc.? I've heard tell.
Sara Jane
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Thu May 16, 2013 2:03 pm

Well if you still have the Garmin Training Center program you can download your run into that and do split screens that show elevation and Grade %. The link below goes to a screenshot I put in blog of this. You can't do it in the new Garmin Connect program.

http://www.365runners.com/viewimage.forum?u=https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img41/2996/pulaskiwoodspalospark.png
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Thu May 16, 2013 2:04 pm

You can also mess with the settings to smooth the data more or less if you want.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Jane Thu May 16, 2013 2:08 pm

Schuey wrote:Well if you still have the Garmin Training Center program you can download your run into that and do split screens that show elevation and Grade %. The link below goes to a screenshot I put in blog of this. You can't do it in the new Garmin Connect program.

http://www.365runners.com/viewimage.forum?u=https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img41/2996/pulaskiwoodspalospark.png

I got a new computer and I didn't download that just because I had stopped using it. Strange, though, that the online version (GarminConnect) wouldn't have something similar. Or maybe I am just missing it...
Sara Jane
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Thu May 16, 2013 2:26 pm

Sara Jane wrote:
Schuey wrote:Well if you still have the Garmin Training Center program you can download your run into that and do split screens that show elevation and Grade %. The link below goes to a screenshot I put in blog of this. You can't do it in the new Garmin Connect program.

I got a new computer and I didn't download that just because I had stopped using it. Strange, though, that the online version (GarminConnect) wouldn't have something similar. Or maybe I am just missing it...

No your not missing it. The Garmin Connect doesn't have it. Actually Installed Training Center on my new mac due to the fact that you can do a lot more with the charting in it then Connect. So I will use both programs, but I'm slowly moving away from Garmin. I just bought a Suunto Ambit which is pretty darn kick butt but still learning the watch and the their online software Movescount.

Also if you go to the garmin website you can download Training center from there.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu May 16, 2013 4:11 pm

Sara Jane wrote:
Mark B wrote:If you ran that hill on a road, you can also map it using MapMyRun.com. It shows elevation profiles with grade percentages.

But isn't the mapmyrun app notoriously inaccurate. Like, even more inaccurate than Garmins, etc.? I've heard tell.

Really? Didn't know that. I don't use mapmyrun much, actually; I usually just track approximate elevation gain/loss using my Garmin and GPS elevation corrections in the RunningAHEAD web application. It's close enough for my purposes.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Thu May 16, 2013 4:40 pm

Slope equals rise over run dude.

T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Thu May 16, 2013 5:54 pm

Sara Jane wrote:Is there way to look at the data from my 610 to find out what the average grade was on a hill? It was in the middle of a run...and I know where it was mileage wise. And I can see the elevation. But I wanted to figure out the grade, if possible. I looked in both RunningAhead (which I use daily) and in the Garmin Connect...but can't figure it out.

Yeah, as Tim says, rise over run. So if you went up 200 feet over a mile (5,280 ft) you go 200/5280= 3.8% grade approximately. Or if it's a decimal of a mile, it would be 200/ (.6)(5280)= 6.3% grade.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Thu May 16, 2013 7:08 pm

The Garmin elevation calculations via their satellites are actually pretty accurate. Sometimes even more so than a barometric altimeter. Read the Guru's review of the new Ambit 2 vs. the Garmin 910 in terms of accurately measuring elevation.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/04/suunto-ambit2-review.html
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Thu May 16, 2013 7:31 pm

Hey Ben yeah that is a great review and something I did read.

Two of the major reasons I bought the Ambit is 1. The 30 hour battery life which to me is huge for longer races. 2. This must have put in the the technology to we're you can use it on a TM without a foot pod. I have down a few runs on the mill with it and it has calculated my distance. That was something he talked about in his review of the Ambit. Can't remember what it was called. At the time of his writing the technology was in place but wasn't working yet but it seems to be now since I did the updates on the watch.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu May 16, 2013 7:56 pm

mul21 wrote:
Sara Jane wrote:Is there way to look at the data from my 610 to find out what the average grade was on a hill? It was in the middle of a run...and I know where it was mileage wise. And I can see the elevation. But I wanted to figure out the grade, if possible. I looked in both RunningAhead (which I use daily) and in the Garmin Connect...but can't figure it out.

Yeah, as Tim says, rise over run. So if you went up 200 feet over a mile (5,280 ft) you go 200/5280= 3.8% grade approximately. Or if it's a decimal of a mile, it would be 200/ (.6)(5280)= 6.3% grade.

Like I said, dude, geometry.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Fri May 17, 2013 12:04 pm

Schuey wrote:Hey Ben yeah that is a great review and something I did read.

Two of the major reasons I bought the Ambit is 1. The 30 hour battery life which to me is huge for longer races. 2. This must have put in the the technology to we're you can use it on a TM without a foot pod. I have down a few runs on the mill with it and it has calculated my distance. That was something he talked about in his review of the Ambit. Can't remember what it was called. At the time of his writing the technology was in place but wasn't working yet but it seems to be now since I did the updates on the watch.

You'll have to let me know how accurate you think the 30 hour battery life is because I think it only records data every 60 seconds in that mode? So on trails, switchbacks, etc. it's going to have a pretty large margin of error I would guess. I know that was a big knock on the advertised 30 hour battery life according to DC Rainmaker. But at least it will keep working past 8-10 hours unlike the others.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Jane Fri May 17, 2013 1:46 pm

T Miller wrote:Slope equals rise over run dude.

I'm a music major currently in law school dude.
We (musicians and lawyers) don't do numbers.
It's 2013. There is no reason the interweb can't do this work for me.

Now, you compose me a song, dude. It's really easy. Just do in I-IV-V-I basic harmonic form.
Sara Jane
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Fri May 17, 2013 3:27 pm

Sara Jane wrote:

Now, you compose me a song, dude. It's really easy. Just do in I-IV-V-I basic harmonic form.

You better start learning numbers dude! Like how to charge $1000/hour. That's a 'grade' of $16.67/1 minute Wink
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Jane Fri May 17, 2013 4:44 pm

Ben Z wrote:
Sara Jane wrote:

You better start learning numbers dude! Like how to charge $1000/hour. That's a 'grade' of $16.67/1 minute Wink

Unfortunately I am planning to be a save the world type of lawyer. Still should learn some numbers I 'spose. To figure out stuff like how to pay my race entry fees as a public interest lawyer...alas.
Sara Jane
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Fri May 17, 2013 6:09 pm

Sara Jane wrote:

I'm an attorney. That is why I gave a link to a calculator instead of providing the formula. Cool
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Jane Sat May 18, 2013 4:26 pm

carleenp wrote:
Sara Jane wrote:

I'm an attorney. That is why I gave a link to a calculator instead of providing the formula. Cool

And I SO appreciated your very useful link over Miller's snideness. Razz

I had a professor who was figuring out damages. And it came time for some subtraction. And he said: "So you would earn whatever that is, subject to mathematical determination." (Subtraction)

We legal mind types have many other fine qualities. Like a way too thorough knowledge of the Erie Doctrine and how it came to be.
Sara Jane
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down