365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossing My Training And Crossing My Fingers

+16
Jim Lentz
Schuey
Dave P
Tom H
Chris M
John Kilpatrick
Ken Mello
JohnP
Natalie
Alex Kubacki
Jerry
mul21
Kenny B.
Mike MacLellan
Seth Harrison
Michael Enright
20 posters

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Crossing My Training And Crossing My Fingers - Page 6 Empty Re: Crossing My Training And Crossing My Fingers

Post  Michael Enright Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:15 pm

The weather was a lot nicer for my 17 miler today than it was for my 16 miler last Sunday.
I headed out about 9 a.m. and it was nice and dry (no rain - low humidity) and probably in the 70s. If it got to 80 during this run, I don't think it got past it. Very nice.
I headed out just a touch faster than I was thinking, and ended up mostly just hanging onto that. My pace usually varies a fair amount on this route depending on the uphill/downhill. It is always gradual, but usually noticeable, so I was surprised when I reviewed the splits how close they were. The split for mile 8 is out of whack because I stopped there for a minute at the car, opened it up, got out some water and walked around drinking it, then grabbed a bottle and headed back out. And then at the end, I was feeling strong, so did the 16th mile a little faster, and really picked it up for the 17th. Felt good. My foot was a bit more sore at the end than optimal, but still within the range I've been experiencing. This one was a confidence builder. Now, on to the stepback...

Crossing My Training And Crossing My Fingers - Page 6 17_mil12
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Crossing My Training And Crossing My Fingers - Page 6 Empty Re: Crossing My Training And Crossing My Fingers

Post  Michael Enright Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:24 am

5 miles this morning - that was the shortest training run since my last 5 miler on July 5, and part of my planned transition back to four days of running per week. I decided to do that during this stepback week. The 5 was real nice. After a warmup of a little over 9:30 on the uphill start, I settled into a pace that ranged from high 8:30s to low 8:50s, depending on the uphill/downhill. All good.

I tried out a new pair of Brooks Ghost 4, and I liked them. Felt firmer in the heel than the Triumphs, but good.

Pretty nice morning, too. The rain let up last night and it was a little cooler. Pretty enjoyable.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:12 am

Felt a bit cool this morning, which was very welcome. Headed out for my 8 miler, and decided I really wanted to keep it less hilly than last week's 8 miler, which was a bear. It still was pretty hilly, but flattened out quite a bit at the end. All went well. Was in no hurry on this run. Averaged 9:13, and that included the slow uphill warmup. Details below (assuming I post the images correctly - seems like I do it a bit differently each time).

Crossing My Training And Crossing My Fingers - Page 6 8_mile10

Crossing My Training And Crossing My Fingers - Page 6 New_8_10

Last edited by Michael Enright on Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:16 am; edited 2 times in total
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:13 am

That is a hilly run, Michael.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:14 am

Jim Lentz wrote:That is a hilly run, Michael.

Thanks Jim. It didn't feel hilly after those first three!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:38 am

Nice 5 miles this morning. Couldn't run yesterday because I had my annual physical, which went well, with one test I have to have that I don't want to have (its a guy thing!) - has to do with an incident I experienced about six months ago with some blood in my urine after a long dehydrated treadmill run. Never happened again. I guess I'm glad I told the doc, but now I have to go to the urologist. Look up cystoscopy if you must. Ugh. I get to think about that for at least a couple of weeks until I see the urologist.

Anyway, stats below. Not sure where that 8:16 came from. All felt good.

Crossing My Training And Crossing My Fingers - Page 6 81610

Crossing My Training And Crossing My Fingers - Page 6 816ele10
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:07 pm

Well, the good news is that I've been doing this long enough to know that one bad run doesn't spell doom for a training cycle!
The bad news is I had a bad run today.
Well, it was only bad for the last couple of miles. Up to that point, it seemed just fine.
This was my fourth run of the week, which is good, because I'm transitioning to four times running and one time biking, as I edge closer to a fall marathon. And I ran two days in a row twice this week. It was good to be able to do that, but I wonder if doing that today contributed to my bad run. I don't think so. Major issue seemed to be hydration, which is always giving me problems, and I should know better, really.
Was doing 13.1 today to cap off the stepback week. I had thoughts of running the first 10 at training pace (around 9:30) and then (assuming I felt up for it) seeing if I could hold HM pace (about 8:05) for the last 3.1. I headed out at 9:00 a.m. It felt quite humid, but the temp didn't seem that bad. Forecast was for quite hot and humid.
I kept on the plan pretty well. My Garmin seemed to be acting up - when I got to 3.0 it said I was at 2.9. I've run this course a hundred times, and I knew it was 3.0, but whatever. It kept doing funny things like that. Dunno why. Solar flares? I had a few faster miles for the downhill miles, but nothing crazy. Key error was when I was back at the car at 7.0. I had taken in a bunch of water before I started. I grabbed a bottle at 7.0 and headed out the other way. I should have stopped and taken in a bunch of water AND taken a bottle with. But I didn't think I'd need it. Big mistake.
About the time I got to the 8 mile point I was feeling a bit more tired than I'd expected. I knew then that there was no point trying to do a fast finish. I figured I'd just slug out the final miles. I was happy to see a couple ahead of me who I frequently see running on this trail, because they were running a bit slower than me, and it was the perfect pace, so I slowed down for that from about 8 to the 9 mile mark. Then I did the next mile plus slow, as it is slightly uphill, and the trail is choppy and sandy. I turned and headed back for the final 3.05.
Things were still manageable. I was starting, though, to have real signs of dehydration. I have this funny one - my ears get blocked up. Usually just one, unless its really bad. Well, both were blocked up. When I got to 11.0, I realized my nipguards were coming off. That has only happened to me once or twice, in extremely sweaty conditions (once during the Chicago marathon in '08). I stopped to take my shirt off, and carried it, and that slowed me down for that mile a bit. As I approached 12 miles, I started bargaining with myself. I wanted to stop and walk. I figured I could hold out until 12.0, and then I decided I'd hang on until 12.1 and stop. I managed to get to 12.1 that way, and just had to stop and walk. After about a quarter mile, I decided it was time to go again, and figured I'd end in a slow jog. But I immediately started to cramp in my left calf, so I called it a day, and walked in the full last mile.
As I was walking, I decided to wring out my shirt. I was amazed how much water came out of a sleeveless tech t when I wrung it! Amazing! Of course, my shorts, socks, shoes and hat were dripping, too. Ugh. The bugs love the sweat, and they were all over me, swarming my head for that last mile. Hellish.
I got back to the car, stretched and chugged water, and drank plenty of water on the 20 minute ride home. Even with the few pounds of water I drank along the way and on the way back, I lost more than 4 pounds on this run, which surprises me for a run of this distance.
Oh, well, put that one behind me and move on...

Crossing My Training And Crossing My Fingers - Page 6 820spl10

Crossing My Training And Crossing My Fingers - Page 6 820ele10
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:46 pm

I hear you about a bad run in the humidity. I had blood in the urine once after helping my dad build a deck with a high around 100 degrees and then ran 10K that night. I read in the book The Lore of Running that a single occurrence is no need for concern. Two in a row is another story.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:19 pm

Thanks Jim. On the blood in the urine issue, the test results (ultrasound and urine tests) all came back normal. Maybe I can talk the urologist in leaving me be!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:28 pm

Michael, a bad run is all that it was (and it was a pretty bad one, wasnt' it Crying or Very sad)
Runs like this are inevitable, so it's almost good to just get it out of the way.
All those bugs lapping up your sweat sounds pretty damned unpleasant!
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:34 pm

Seth Harrison wrote:Michael, a bad run is all that it was (and it was a pretty bad one, wasnt' it Crying or Very sad)
Runs like this are inevitable, so it's almost good to just get it out of the way.
All those bugs lapping up your sweat sounds pretty damned unpleasant!

I fully expect you are right about that, Seth, and I sure hope so!

The gnats have been awful this year - much worse than any year I can remember. Usually, we don't have them "bugging" us at all at this point in the summer, but they are still around. They are the worst...
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:05 pm

Hope you recover quickly, sounded like a rough one. My wife and I had some major deer flies buzzing us on a Wisconsin hike a few weeks ago so I can relate to that part. Just wondering if you do any Gatorade or Gu along with the water? The electrolites can help a lot in the heat.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:46 pm

fostever wrote:Hope you recover quickly, sounded like a rough one. My wife and I had some major deer flies buzzing us on a Wisconsin hike a few weeks ago so I can relate to that part. Just wondering if you do any Gatorade or Gu along with the water? The electrolites can help a lot in the heat.

Good question - the last couple of years (so probably three marathon training cycles) I've relied solely on water, and done fine. But having said that - after the run yesterday, I was rethinking that! Two weeks ago, I brought along a gu, and never used it. I think I'm ready to go back to gatorade and gu....
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:08 pm

Michael Enright wrote:Thanks Jim. On the blood in the urine issue, the test results (ultrasound and urine tests) all came back normal. Maybe I can talk the urologist in leaving me be!

Good to hear the test results came back normal. It is called runner's hematuria and common in longer races like, the Comrades Marathon. The bladder is empty and the walls of the bladder rub each other during the run/race causing the blood. Unless it recurs without exercise, along with pain in the back or along with an infection the book says it is probably not a concern, but to check with a doctor to be safe.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:50 pm

Jim Lentz wrote:
Michael Enright wrote:Thanks Jim. On the blood in the urine issue, the test results (ultrasound and urine tests) all came back normal. Maybe I can talk the urologist in leaving me be!

Good to hear the test results came back normal. It is called runner's hematuria and common in longer races like, the Comrades Marathon. The bladder is empty and the walls of the bladder rub each other during the run/race causing the blood. Unless it recurs without exercise, along with pain in the back or along with an infection the book says it is probably not a concern, but to check with a doctor to be safe.

That's helpful Jim. I read about that on line when it happened (which was very reassuring when I was very freaked out - thank goodness for google!), but I couldn't remember the details, and now I don't have to.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:15 am

Sometimes I see homeowners put up a sign to name their residence, like its an estate - maybe "Winding Trails" or something like that.

I would call mine "Falling Timbers"! See photo below for the latest.

For the third time in about 6 weeks, last night a major limb came off of one of our stately old maples, again without a storm or significant breeze, and this time took out the power, phone, internet and cable. Fortunately, it did not hit the house. This has been an unbelievable summer for this! Last summer we were in the middle of a micro-burst, and lost a bunch of trees. Our tree guy (we pretty much have him on retainer) is going to have all my money soon. He'll send his kids to college, and mine will end up working for him (if they're lucky).

Anyway, it was a lovely morning for an unremarkable 5 miles on the road. 44:32. Not bad.

Crossing My Training And Crossing My Fingers - Page 6 Fallen10
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:31 am

Another nice morning, though a bit foggy in spots - I didn't see this coming, and unfortunately dressed in white and grey, so not the best for high viz, that's for sure. Happily, the places with the fog had very little traffic flow, so it was a nonissue.

I ran the scheduled 8 miles without a glance at my watch (until the end, so I knew when exactly I could stop), and averaged 9:01, so was pleased with that. It was a nice, easy run.

Funny moment this morning. In the aftermath of the tree limb catastrophe this week, we were expecting a relatively early visit from the electrician this morning, as he has to come out and fix the incoming wire from the point it hits the house down to the meter, which is pulled loose from the exterior wall. He arrived as I was getting dressed after my shower, and my wife was still in bed in her jammies. My daughter appeared at our door and told my wife (who was closer to the door and knows the electrician pretty well) that he had arrived and could my wife please go talk with him. Obviously thinking that she didn't want to hop out of bed in her PJs and go talk to him, she turned to me and asked if I could go talk to him. I gestured to myself, because at that point I was wearing only my underpants and my socks, and simply said "No." Maybe I should have just gone to talk to him that way. He's probably seen worse...
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:14 am

Humid this morning. Left hammy felt sore/tired. Must be the hills.

Nice easy 5 miler in just under 45 minutes. Good run. Now a day off and then a long run, probably Saturday.

Hurricane Irene and my son's need to move back into the UConn dorm this weekend have complicated my life...
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:25 pm

UConn announced yesterday that upperclassmen could return as soon as 7 p.m. last night, or today - moving it up a day, in effect, so we packed up and got him squared away last night.
I took him out there - oh, to be 19 and loose on a big college campus! Of course, the dorm looks like a prison, but there sure are a lot of guys and girls hanging around, getting to know each other, and soon they will be huddled together in a big windy rainstorm. Ought to be fun!
I headed out for my 18 miler this morning. After the bad 13.1 last weekend, I decided to be very conservative on this run, and it worked well.
It was cloudy (the first clouds from the hurricane), a little cool and humid (the air off the ocean being pushed in by the storm. Man, was I soaked after this run!
I was glad I aggressively hydrated. I was "topped off" before I started - I had to stop to pee twice in the first four miles. I took in 24 oz. of gatorade by mile 7, then took a half liter of water with me, which I consumed on the next loop, before getting to 13. At that point I ate a gel, drank a bunch of water, and headed back out for the final 5 with another half liter of water.
I took the last 5 nice and easy, but as I was getting to the last mile, I could see that if I picked it up a bit I could finish under three hours, so I went ahead and did that. 2:59:55. I love that.
Felt tired for that last 5, and a bit crampy in the calves (though I never actually cramped, which is good). So I averaged just under 10:00 min/mile "all in", which is about right, given that I am thinking I'm going to run this marathon at about 9:00.
Got home a bit after noon and started in on more hurricane prep. All the lawn furniture and garden items are inside somewhere, or otherwise secured. I'm still hoping it weakens more and heads off in a different direction!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:33 pm

I'm glad you were able to get your run in before the rain started Michael. I just barely made it also. I don't how close you are to the water, but I hope you don't get hit too hard. All our deck furniture is in our living room, and the patio furniture is in the garage (as per my wife's instructions...if it were up to me, it would all still be out there).
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:20 pm

Seth Harrison wrote:I'm glad you were able to get your run in before the rain started Michael. I just barely made it also. I don't how close you are to the water, but I hope you don't get hit too hard. All our deck furniture is in our living room, and the patio furniture is in the garage (as per my wife's instructions...if it were up to me, it would all still be out there).

We are inland (halfway between Hartford and the Sound) and well above the Connecticut River, which is probably less than a mile away (it would take a flood of biblical proportions to get to us). I think we are OK flash flood-wise. Mostly, I'm worried about trees falling and hitting the house or the outbuildings, and wind-driven rain infiltrating the house. We'll see!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:53 pm

So the hurricane wasn't as bad as it might have been, but it was pretty ugly. A big old maple at the top of our driveway came down about 7:30 this morning, and brushed the garage on the way down, trashing the gutter and slightly damaging the clapboard siding. That's not too bad, but the '97 Civic that the kids drive was parked right under there, and is now buried in the tree limbs. Not sure how bad it is - there is certainly some sheet metal damage, and I could see that the tail light is broken. My daughter says the rear side window is also smashed, though I couldn't see that. There is a live power line buried in that mess, so I can't even try to clear it. To top it off, my car is in the garage, and I can't get it out, and my wife's minivan is next to the garage, trapped in by the tree. Of course, my chainsaw, etc. is in the garage, so I can't get to that until the power company comes and shuts down the power line. Even when they do come, I'm not sure the saw will start - I couldn't start it last time I tried. And who knows when the tree guy will show up - he's got his hands full, along with the power company. Although its not good news on the car, it could be worse. Before I moved it there last night, it was in a spot where the main trunk of the tree would have completely caved in its roof! I will try to post a picture below.

Anyway, I was wired but unable to do anything about all of this, and couldn't get out on the bike to x-train, so did a 6 mile easy run on the treadmill, which was great. That's my first 5-run week in months, yesterday was my first 18 miler since early March, and today was my first run on the mill since April. And I don't know how long its been since I did 42 miles in a week - probably February, maybe longer ago.

So at least the running news is good! Of course, this week school starts, and I have to shift to evening training mid-week, which will be challenging given the conflicts.

Crossing My Training And Crossing My Fingers - Page 6 97civi10
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:23 pm

You really do need that tree guy on retainer! Glad everyone was ok as it looks like it missed the house.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:30 pm

Thanks Michele! I just wish the power company would show up. Until then we are stranded. Even the tree guy can't help us before the turn the line off. I called them to follow up and they said that their log showed it had been fixed. I wish! In the meantime, internet, phone and cable are out. Good time to have an iPhone...
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:47 am

Unfortunately, when I managed to get most of the tree off of the old Civic, I could see that its days are over (picture below, hopefully). The live power line is still down and directly behind the vehicle, so I can't move it, and my newer Civic is trapped in the garage. We did manage to free the minivan yesterday. I might try to run on the track tonight. Our town is still a patchwork of closed roads, downed trees and wires, so I didn't feel much like trying to run on the roads this morning, plus was tired and sore from all the tree removal work yesterday. Serious cross-training!

Crossing My Training And Crossing My Fingers - Page 6 Crushe10
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next