365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Crossing My Training And Crossing My Fingers

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Crossing My Training And Crossing My Fingers

Post  Mike MacLellan on Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:03 am

Ouch. That car looks like something out of the movies now. Never seen a roof buckle like that in real life before... Hope the expenses aren't too much of a burden, but glad to see that you made it through in one piece.

Hope your son's enjoying college so far (if he hasn't called to let you know that he is, it means he is); I'm in a vaguely similar situation watching the whole rollercoaster first week(s) with my girlfriend - she just transferred to a 4-year and is living in the dorms. Fun stuff, right?
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:07 pm

Mike - transitioning into any new dorm or roommate situation is always stressful, for sure. The good news is that almost everyone gets through it happily in the end!

We'll get by on the car and tree removal front, though I would love to stop paying money for the summer of the "attack of the trees"!

I'd rather spend it on running stuff!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz on Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:39 pm

Wow, that Civic is really crushed.
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:32 pm

@Jim Lentz wrote:Wow, that Civic is really crushed.

And the tree was barely scratched!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:21 pm

Good news - internet/cable/phone is back on at the house, a definite move in the right direction. Now, if only the power company would come and remove the live wire that is on the ground in my driveway, maybe I could finish pulling the parts of the fallen tree off the Civic and move it so I can get my car out of the garage. Ahhh, someday....

Back to evening training today, as the school year begins and makes morning runs midweek impossible. Left work early, because I could and that made it easier to get home (traffic lights are out in some places and that clogs things up as soon as the rush starts). Since I was home early, I headed up to the track for an easy 5 miles.

My daughter's XC team was still up there finishing practice, so that was fun. They weren't officially using the track, so I was free to go on it, and as they straggled in from their run around town, they were doing strides on the track. I got a lot of high fives while I was doing my 20 laps - that was pretty cute.

The sun was still up pretty high, and it was a little warmer than the last few days, and frankly I'm not used to that, but it was all good. I love the track. A nice-feeling 8:39 average pace, and I was done.
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:40 pm

8 more miles at the track to close out August. Averaged just a hair under 9:00 miles, which is solid.

I've made the switch over to evening training successfully so far. But my first conflict, which is so common at night, is tomorrow. I will probably push that to Friday. I'm planning on running a 20K race on Monday, so have turned it into a stepback week with that being the long run. I will probably run 5 or 6 on Friday, and ride the bike if the weather's nice on Saturday. Then, rest up Sunday and race Monday.

Not sure what pace I'll try for for the race. Best I could hope for would be about HM PR pace (just a shade slower than 8:00 per), but I expect to go out at 8:30 or so.

We'll see.
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:14 pm

Office closed at 3, so I was out by 3:30, and on the trail for a run by 4:30. Beautiful day for it. I was surprised that the three miles of trail I did the first out and back on were cleared of fallen trees from Irene. Heck, the power company can't get a live power line that is down and loose on my driveway fixed (or at least shut it off!), but somehow someone had the chance to clear the fallen trees off of the rail trail??? I guess I shouldn't complain, because it was nice to be able to run 6 miles unimpeded that way. When I finished the out and back, I decided to stretch the run to 7 miles by heading out the half mile in the other direction. On that little stretch I came across several trees fallen across the trail, and had to stop and climb over them. I also saw a young family out cleaning up part of the trail. I guess there house is one of the nearby ones - it was hard to tell. I was impressed that they were out doing this, and expressed my gratitude. When I go to the end of that little "out" stretch, I decided to run back on the roads and avoid the fallen timber. I got a bit lost doing this, as the roads don't all go through, so ended up at 7.4 miles total. Nice and easy on a beautiful day. Tomorrow I'll probably get out on the bike for somewhere between an hour or two. Should be a good way to get a close up view of some of the storm damage cleanup. Then I rest on Sunday, and Monday is the 20K. Still not sure how fast to go out. Part of me wants to go out pretty fast. Also went to the urologist today, hoping I could get him to say the cystoscopy was not necessary, but although he hedged it a little, he said it should be done. Dang. That is scheduled for early October. Before that, I have a colonoscopy scheduled. The next month or so sounds like a lot of medical procedure fun!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:31 pm

Road the bike for 20+ miles on Saturday, nice and easy (beautiful morning for it), then did Irene clean up work in the yard for a few hours, though not too strenuously. Sunday was an off day, resting up for the race, and I did a good job of resting up!

Then the race today, which was great, and the report is up. I finished with about a third of the field ahead of me, and two-thirds behind, which is very typical for me, also with 40% of my age group ahead of me and 60% behind. Also very typical for me.

Not sure of my schedule this week after a Monday race, may take it easy mid-week, and then I have a 19 or 20 miler this weekend. Its always hard for me to run 19 - I always want to just jump to 20.

Good news - all the Irene mess is cleaned up around my house (thanks to many people, including some who were paid). Now I just have to dispose of the wrecked car and find something new (well, really old, probably) for the kids to drive...
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz on Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:49 pm

Nice job on the race!
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:08 am

@Jim Lentz wrote:Nice job on the race!

Thanks Jim!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:11 am

I mentioned somewhere that pretty late in the 20K yesterday, I saw a man a bit ahead of me who looked quite old. But he was beating me, and we were probably around 10 miles into the race. I had to pass this guy, and it ended up not being an issue, because I finished so fast. When I looked him up, he was listed as being 89. As it turns out, he's "only" 82. But I did find this story about him, from one year ago, and I just thought I'd share it with anyone who is interested, because its pretty interesting to see someone this age continuing at these paces:

http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2010/09/07/sports/doc4c85bc07ada9d051641038.txt?viewmode=fullstory
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:49 pm

Rain, rain, go away!
Enough with the tropical storm remnants - we've had enough rain between Irene and whatever this thing was named to supply us with water for the rest of eternity!
8 miles on the treadmill tonight, at right about 9:00 per. Rested yesterday, after the race on Monday. Just keep on keepin' on...
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:38 pm

Didn't get home until almost 8:30, and then had to compete for the treadmill! My youngest, Lucas, who is starting 8th grade, has decided to do middle school XC. He has never run much, other than in soccer practice, and he quit soccer a couple of years ago. He's in reasonably good shape, but spent the summer playing violent video games, with brief interludes in the pool. And he has asthma. He also likes to worry a lot, so he was thinking he would do some running before his first practice tomorrow. Of course, he's a 13 year old boy, so he put that off until the last possible minute - like right when I got home. I dissuaded him, told him it was not a good idea to run the day before the first practice when he hadn't been running regularly, and to just take it real slow tomorrow. I hope he follows that advice. He could be a good runner if he gives it time.
So I got my 5 miles in on the treadmill, with the first a little over 9 minutes, and the rest at about 8:30. Watched the Red Sox on the tube for a while, which was not too interesting. I sure would like to spend less time on the TM for these evening runs. Between the weather and my various conflicts, that could be an issue for me this Fall.
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:46 pm

Nice 20 miler today. When I set up this schedule, I slotted it for 19 today. However, I've never managed to run a 19 mile run. If I had a 19 on the schedule, I've always run 20 instead. It just doesn't make much sense to me to not go ahead and run that last mile! Just goes to show that I lack patience, I think.

I set out to run this first 20 at a very easy, steady pace. Only goal was to try to keep the splits relatively even and easy, and to stay very well hydrated. The weather cooperated. I started at 9 a.m., and it was probably in the mid 60s, not very humid (just a little, as another runner who was finishing his run noted), and sunny (but I get mostly shade on the rail trail). By the time I was done, it was well into the 70s, but still pretty nice.

In prior years, I would have done some driving to stash hydration and/or gels further down the course, but I just decided this year to not do that, and just run loops instead that keep me closer to the car, which is then "hydration central."

Before I left the house, I had a glass of water. Just before I started running, I had another 6 to 8 oz. I carried a 12 oz gatorade with me, and drank that at the first turn (at 4 miles). I stopped at the car at 8 miles and ate a gel and chugged half a liter of water. I took half a liter with me, and headed out in the other direction, finishing the water along the way, mostly at the turn (11.5 miles). I was back at the car at 15, and ate another gel, drank most of a half liter of water, and took a half liter with me, which I polished off in the final 5 mile loop. Not surprisingly, given that I was not getting as drenched in light of the nicer weather, I had to stop and pee three times along the way, including as late as during mile 15, which surprised me. By that point, I've usually managed to drain my fluids pretty well. So I felt good about that.

I also enjoyed the crowd on the trail today. There were lots of people doing their long runs, including several groups that I believe are part of the organized training runs for the Hartford marathon, which is coming up in mid-October. And there were the assorted runners who were just out for a run, bicyclists and walkers (with and without pooches). And a guy running, with his kid in a stroller. All good.

Even with all the water, I managed to drop close to 3 lbs on the run.

As I was driving home, my wife buzzed me to ask me to bring her lunch - she was at a local event, and had a table where she was selling her book, but had no lunch and no money for lunch. I stopped home, showered, changed and drove my daughter and her friend to her friend's house in the next town, then doubled back and bought us lunch and brought it to her and ate it with her. Very nice. Got home and was tired! But then had to help her fix an animal cage she is assembling out behind the outbuildings. That was a puzzle and a pain, but I think we got it done correctly.

Oh, and Lucas did his first XC practice for middle school yesterday. Most of the way through the course, he needed his inhaler - by the time he retrieved it, they were done! But he didn't seem discouraged, and I think is ready to rock and roll again on Monday. I need to get him something better in the way of shoes to run in tomorrow.

Splits and elevation chart below. The longer splits are either due to pee stops or to stops at the car, where I took a break long enough to chugalug and/or jam gu down my gullet.

Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:44 pm

Took a day off from running yesterday, after the 20 on Saturday, and took the time to do a bunch of other things that needed doing. Can't run tomorrow night, and want to ramp up the mileage this week, and got home early enough tonight to head out to the track before dark and get in an easy 5 miles (44 minutes flat). Nice run.

I got to watch the sun go down in the west while the full Harvest Moon came up in the east. Beautiful. Very peaceful way to end the day.
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick on Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:22 pm

@Michael Enright wrote:Nice 20 miler today. When I set up this schedule, I slotted it for 19 today. However, I've never managed to run a 19 mile run. If I had a 19 on the schedule, I've always run 20 instead. It just doesn't make much sense to me to not go ahead and run that last mile! Just goes to show that I lack patience, I think.

Another dose of insanity out there Laughing. That was a really nice looking long run. That was a neat story about the 80+ runner. He didn't even start until later in life I see, so he should be a good inspiration to later-starters such as myself!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:43 am

@John Kilpatrick wrote:
@Michael Enright wrote:Nice 20 miler today. When I set up this schedule, I slotted it for 19 today. However, I've never managed to run a 19 mile run. If I had a 19 on the schedule, I've always run 20 instead. It just doesn't make much sense to me to not go ahead and run that last mile! Just goes to show that I lack patience, I think.

Another dose of insanity out there Laughing. That was a really nice looking long run. That was a neat story about the 80+ runner. He didn't even start until later in life I see, so he should be a good inspiration to later-starters such as myself!

Thanks John. Yes, I thought his story was plain cool. And he was really clicking away out there!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. on Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:34 am

One heaven of a 20 mile run. Some nice elevation I can now respect the hills people run on.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:14 pm

@Kenny B. wrote:One heaven of a 20 mile run. Some nice elevation I can now respect the hills people run on.

Hi Kenny!

Looks worse than it is - many of those little nooks and crannies are errors caused by running on the rail trail. This RR wound through a hilly region. There are portions of the trail that are quite elevated above grade. I think the trail is narrow enough in many places that the garmin's tendency to stray off the path as much as 25 feet is sufficient to locate me off the trail and down a steep embankment! For the most part, a fairer depiction of the elevation changes would pretty much average out those little dips, so you would mostly just follow the overall trend of that curve. But some of them are real, too. The good news is, most of the up and down is quite gradual. It almost always shows up on the pace per mile, though!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:32 pm

I wanted to do a hilly midweek kinda long run tonight, and figured the best way to do that would be to head out to the reservoir in West Hartford after work. The logistics are tricky. I have to be done before dark, because they shut down then, and if I'm going to run for about an hour and a half to go ten miles and it gets dark sometime between 7 and 7:30, I'm pretty time constrained. The good news is that I've been getting into work by about 7:20 a.m., so I don't feel too bad about leaving early! Headed out before it even got to 5:00 p.m., which is odd, and was running before 5:30, so that was great.

I wanted to get the hilly run in because in the fall, after school starts, my terrain tends to flatten out. My treadmill miles are flat (long story, but no incline to work with), the track is flat, and even the long runs on the rail trail are real gradual inclines, not the up and down I'm looking for. And the problem is that the marathon I'm running on Cape Cod has lots of up and down in the second half, and I want to be ready for that, and I've done alot of that this summer. Anyway, this was perfect. It was quite warm and humid, and I sweated a ton. Went out a little too fast in miles 2, 3 and 4, then settled down. I was tired at the end through the hills, and that's the feeling I wanted! I also was pretty dehydrated by then, but that was okay - I was done!

Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison on Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:13 am

Strong last few workout Michael. I'm glad to see your training for Cape Cod is proceeding along nicely.
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:20 am

@Seth Harrison wrote:Strong last few workout Michael. I'm glad to see your training for Cape Cod is proceeding along nicely.

Thanks Seth. I am feeling much more able to withstand the mileage, and that is happening at just the right time. Now I just have to be careful not to get overconfident and f it up!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:53 am

Are you runnign the Cape Cod marathon that is sponsored by Dunkin Donuts? I've heard it can be windy, so mentally prepare for that as well. I know though that I've run parts of the course over the years (when I ran the old "Plymouth to Provincetown Relay" back in the 1980s - like a shorter version of HTC with teams of 6 runners each running 6-10 miles), and it is quite beautiful as you know. Keep up the good work as the runs are looking good.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:12 pm

Hi Michele!

That's the right marathon (though DD is no longer the name sponsor). I've read the history that they post on line, which talks about every race they've run over the years, the weather conditions, etc., so I've learned a good deal about wind, rain, heat, cold, hills, hills, hills for this marathon (and I was fairly warned going in), but thanks for the additional warning!

Although I've lived close by for nearly 20 years and have been to many other points in that direction, I actually have never been to Cape Cod, so am looking forward to it. I've heard that the course is very pretty, as you describe.
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P on Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:48 pm

Hey Michael! Did I know that you were doing Cape Cod? I don't remember, but then again, I haven't been on here much lately. The hills during the 2nd half are unrelenting - one after another - they seem to never end. However, that is still my current marathon PR of 3:15 from two years ago. Only during a portion of the beginning & end do you get a great view of the coast, so be sure to enjoy those scenes while they last.
Dave P
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top