365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Crossing My Training And Crossing My Fingers

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Crossing My Training And Crossing My Fingers

Post  Alex Kubacki on Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:33 pm

Michael, the hills you're throwing into your runs will definitely help you down the Cape.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:56 pm

Thanks Alex - I sure hoping so!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:05 am

Banged out another 5 on the mill last night right at around 9:00 per. I tend to turn on the tv to some sports and leave the remote out of reach (hard to find a place to put it that is easily within reach) and just let the show go on. Not a big deal with a relatively short run. For a long run on the mill I would make sure I had the remote as well as water within reach - the remote probably being more important!!!

At the start, as we were approaching 8 pm, there was a college football preview show on ESPN, with Holtz and that other guy jawing about the games coming up. I thought this was the prelude to an 8 pm game, so left it there. Dumb. At 8 pm on comes some MLS soccer. Now, I'll watch soccer sometimes, but unless its one of those big events like world cup, tend to only watch either Premier League or other international play, which seems like its at the highest level. This wasn't as good. Still, that Le Toux can frickin' play!!!

Another 10/20 weekend coming up. Then I scheduled the next week as a peak week, too, so I have two in a row, then the taper. That'll chew up some time this weekend, and keep me on my toes! The forecast is for cooler and less humid, which is great, but they keep increasing the chance of rain, which is too bad. Oh, well, I may get wet.
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:15 pm

A really solid 20 miler today. Splits and elevation below (take the elevation chart with a grain of salt - just pay attention to the general trend up and down, which is accurate, but all those sharp little hills are gps error).
Good day for a long run. I waited until the rain stopped. It was cool and cloudy, if a bit damp. Some puddles, but not bad.
I decided to just run the same out and back over and over. The out leg is uphill, so its 3.5 up, 3.5 down, 3.5 up, 3.5 down, 3 up and 3 down.
Started nice and easy on the uphill, then naturally picked up a bit on the downhill leg back, etc. The two longer splits are for stops at the car to grab water and eat gu.
Felt good at 15, so picked it up for the final 5. Miles 16 and 17 are uphill, and then I burned it downhill for the final three - perhaps a bit too much in the final two miles, but it sure was fun!
Feeling good...

Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:31 am

After the 20 yesterday, I wasn't sure how much I'd have left for a hilly 10 miles today. When I got up, it was pouring rain, but after a couple of cups of coffee and some breakfast, it cleared out and was beautiful - sunny and cool! Perfect.

I road-tested the Glycerins today for their first run on the pavement, and they were perfect for my beat-up tired feet - I like these for this type of run!

Headed east down the road for the first 2.5, and then back, which is a very hill 5 miles, then took a pit stop in my bushes (hence the slower split on mile 6), grabbed a water I had planted by the old maple tree, and out the other direction for a flatter 5 miles, though there are a lot of little hills in there. A carbon copy of my run from two weeks ago.

The result was just what I was looking for, and so I have another peak week in the books. One more to go, which is this week, then I'm on a three week taper, if all goes according to plan. This week could be challenging schedule-wise, but I feel like whatever happens, I should be in good shape for four weeks from today on Cape Cod.

Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison on Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:48 pm

A great, tough weekend of running Michael. You're peaking perfectly and you'll be looking great once taper comes.
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:07 pm

Thanks Seth. Feeling pretty upbeat about it all right now!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:04 pm

Looking good Michael for another strong week. The weather's been all over the place. Hopefully we get something good that weekend.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:58 pm

Thanks Alex.

You know, all I've ever had to worry about is one day of weather for these things.

On the other hand, you have to worry about TWO!

I read the race history on line, and it sounds like we could get just about any kind of weather imaginable, so let's just hope for the best.

I assume you're staying somewhere on the Cape (can't imagine you are driving back and forth both days). I am in some fleabag sounding motel that would take me for just one night. Hopefully, we will get together at some point before the gun...
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:30 pm

Kicked off the last peak week with an easy 5 miler at the track, averaging 8:43 per.

Damp and cool, with a little bit of drizzle, but not much.

Got a somewhat later start than I wanted - had to take my 13 year old over to his friend's house to pick up a work sheet he forgot at school, right as I was getting ready to go. My angst over this reminds me to keep the whole thing in perspective - when I get wound up about my run getting delayed, I'm losing it! Not a big deal, but a good reminder.

And I'll need that this weekend (my aging father is driving out to visit, but I have a 20 and a 10 to get in while he's here) and then next week, in the first week of taper, my calendar will be thrown into chaos by multiple travel and other demands on my time.

Take a deep breath - I'm almost there!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:25 pm

Did the last of the midweek 10 milers tonight. Beautiful evening for it. Left work a little after 4, which is a luxury I can't really keep up, so its a good thing its done. Clear sky, a little chilly, dry air, a little breezy. Awesome.

I never looked at my watch during this run, just tried to keep the pace comfortable and manage the hills. You can pretty much compare my pace to the elevation chart and figure out where I was for any given split!

Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:36 pm

5 more miles on the mill tonight, right at 9:00/mile.
Two runs until the taper!
Ought to be a crazy weekend - my dad is driving out tomorrow. 84 years old, but still wants to drive here nonstop from Chicago. Yikes. Hope he makes it. Say a prayer for him...
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:32 pm

Ran the final 20 (the fourth 20 of this cycle) this morning. The first loop of this three-loop run was complicated by a problematic GI issue - I would call it a "crap-tastrophe". I should have known better - I ate something yesterday that I know has an impact on me, and I started this run earlier than usual because I wanted to get done earlier in order to spend some time with my Dad, and to avoid the warmth that was coming later in the day. The combination of the earliness and the bad food choice added up to trouble - I had to go, and I had to go now, and there was nowhere to go! Let's just say I returned to nature, and its a good thing there are secluded woods near the rail trail. Anyway, this caused some messed up splits (I didn't stop my watch at all). I also have a longer split later due to stopping at the car to hydrate and refuel. But overall, despite running on pretty tired legs with the two peak weeks right in a row, I felt decent and kept the pace (while moving!) right where I wanted it, and then had enough left to finish the last 5 strong again, which was a real plus.
Splits below. Planning on 10 tomorrow, and then on to the first week of taper, which should be erratic.
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe on Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:39 am

Dedication. Michael don't let it get to you -- we all have crappy runs at least every once in a while.
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:35 am

@Dave Wolfe wrote:Dedication. Michael don't let it get to you -- we all have crappy runs at least every once in a while.

Thanks Dave. This one was LITERALLY a "crappy run"!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:38 am

Taper time!
I ran a 10 miler this morning, that wraps up two peak weeks in a row. Nice morning for it. Ran it at a comfortable pace, never looking at my watch. Came out well, and felt good. Stopped in mile 8 to help someone figure out how to get where they were driving. My good deed for the day.
Hard to believe that this training cycle has ended so well after the first half of the year and the way this cycle started. The first week of taper will be a hash, but all I'm going to focus on is to get some runs in and take it easy.

Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:56 am

As expected, life has been getting in the way of my first week of taper. My first run since Sunday was this morning. I am in Tampa, and it is warm and quite humid. Did 8 miles on beautiful Bayshore and just took it easy, but not easy enough! Was woozy when I stopped. Feel good now, but crazy taper runs like that always erode my confidence. Busy day ahead, so no time to dwell on it anyway.
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:29 am

Another run on Bayshore as the sun rose over Tampa this morning. Still warm/humid, but a little better than yesterday. 6 easy miles, and it felt good. Back to Connecticut later today, and up too early to go to Newport in the morning tomorrow for work function. I doubt I'll get to run tomorrow - hopefully I will on Sunday, and then maybe I can get the last two weeks of the cycle on schedule!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:10 am

12 easy miles early in the morning in Newport today. Felt like I was ready to run a marathon today! And there is one here today - but I'll be patient and wait two more weeks. This one made me feel very positive about this taper. And beautiful scenery. Up the Cliff Walk at sunrise, past the mansions, and along the water. Just nice.
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:14 am

And a minute after my last post, I checked my emails and they just sent me my bib # for Cape Cod. I guess they must think I'm ready to run a marathon, too!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:28 pm

Michael, what's your number? I'm 901.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:31 pm

@Alex Kubacki wrote:Michael, what's your number? I'm 901.

I am 458.

Do you get the same number for both races in your challenge??
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison on Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:47 am

@Michael Enright wrote:12 easy miles early in the morning in Newport today. Felt like I was ready to run a marathon today!

Then you'll feel even better in two weeks!
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:51 am

@Michael Enright wrote:I am 458.

Do you get the same number for both races in your challenge??

I have the same number but two different bibs as the Half has a "H" in front of the number and the full has a "M".
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:21 am

@Seth Harrison wrote:
@Michael Enright wrote:12 easy miles early in the morning in Newport today. Felt like I was ready to run a marathon today!

Then you'll feel even better in two weeks!

That's what I'm hoping!!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top