365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Crossing My Training And Crossing My Fingers

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Crossing My Training And Crossing My Fingers

Post  Michael Enright on Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:24 am

@Alex Kubacki wrote:
@Michael Enright wrote:I am 458.

Do you get the same number for both races in your challenge??

I have the same number but two different bibs as the Half has a "H" in front of the number and the full has a "M".

Very cool. I've never been at a race that was part of a challenge like this one, so was curious. Alex, I'm sure we'll see each other at the race. If you read this reply and know your travel plans, let me know what they are. I expect to get up to Falmouth on that Saturday during the afternoon (so after your half), early enough for packet pickup. It would be great to get together, at least long enough to say hi before the craziness of race morning, if that's possible.
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:15 pm

Hmmm, taper madness emerging from its latent stages - I'm sitting here wishing there was a 13 day forecast for Cape Cod (of course, if there was one, its reliability would be ridiculously bad)!

I have some vague recollection that Accu Weather or Weather Underground does something like that - I'll have to check it out, so I have something unreliable to obsess about...
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:48 am

Michael, Saturday afternoon is kind of difficult for me as I have someone coming down in the afternoon. Where the expo and number pickup is where I hang prior to the race. I plan to get there early so I can get a decent parking spot.

The weather is looking pretty good for Sunday. Saturday however looks to be pretty crappy. Oh well. I'd much rather have better weather on Sunday especially when I'm reduced to a crawl.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:53 am

@Alex Kubacki wrote:Michael, Saturday afternoon is kind of difficult for me as I have someone coming down in the afternoon. Where the expo and number pickup is where I hang prior to the race. I plan to get there early so I can get a decent parking spot.

The weather is looking pretty good for Sunday. Saturday however looks to be pretty crappy. Oh well. I'd much rather have better weather on Sunday especially when I'm reduced to a crawl.
Understood - I will look for you on race morning - I'm pretty good at that. I did check the crazy long range forecast, but won't give it any credit until a couple of days prior.
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:03 pm

A nice 4 miles today. This one really felt like the taper. That's the shortest distance I've run since June 23! Averaged 8:39 per mile. Beautiful night for it, too.
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:28 pm

And the taper goes on...

6 miles tonight on the mill, right at 9:09. Watched a little bit of the World Series, which I enjoyed.

Planning on getting 4 miles into tomorrow night in downtown Hartford, and then into the final weekend of training. Almost can't believe I just wrote that!!!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:27 pm

4 easy taper miles in downtown Hartford tonight, and now I'm waiting to pick up my 15 year old from her school. Seems an odd way to spend my 20th wedding anniversary! But don't worry - all is well! Ah, the subtle joys of parenthood!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:31 am

Looks like a tale of two weather forecasts so far. Accuweather actually has freezing rain with temps in the low 30's for Saturday and sunny and 40's for Sunday. Weather.com has mid to high 50's and sunny for both days.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:47 am

@Alex Kubacki wrote:Looks like a tale of two weather forecasts so far. Accuweather actually has freezing rain with temps in the low 30's for Saturday and sunny and 40's for Sunday. Weather.com has mid to high 50's and sunny for both days.

I'm fond of posting to other people's blogs (when they are in taper and fretting about the weather) that it is insane to look at the weather forecast until a couple of days before the race, because they are so unreliable.

But I check the long-range forecast and fret about it myself anyway - so I sure hope its more like weather.com than it is like accuweather has for saturday! How would you run a half in freezing rain?!

I'm sure someone has studied the accuracy of 5, 7 and 10 day forecasts. I bet they aren't good! When I'm watching them day-to-day and focused on one day in particular because the weather will matter that day (race, outdoor party, travel, etc.), I'm amazed at how much they change day-to-day!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:16 pm

It was a beautiful morning for my last "long" run of this cycle. I'm doing a Hal-type three week taper (it's the taper from Int. II) to give myself a really good rest and heal-up period after this goofy training cycle, and this run is only 8 miles. Felt really good. Splits below. I just went out at a comfortable pace and never looked at my watch until I was about done, so I'd know when to stop. It included two brief pee breaks (what is it with me lately - too much pre-run coffee, I guess??), so go figure. Those should be miles 2 and 5.

Felt great.

Taper is so screwy. I had plenty of time this afternoon to swap the radio out of the kids car and put in a new one that will actually play a cd or let them plug in an ipod. I don't think they even remembered our cars having cassette players in the dash!

I really should do another chore, but I don't feel like it.

Sunday's run is 4 miles. Imagine that.

Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:03 am

The short runs in taper are usually fun. I like to hit the gas a little more, since I can, without overdoing it. It feels good to run pretty fast and not feel like I'm working all that hard, so long as I don't go crazy.

Nice morning here for a run - cloudy & chilly! I just headed out for the prescribed 4 miles on the hilly terrain outside my door. I have probably done this run more in the past 5 years than any other route. I have every nook and cranny, every hill and curve, engrained on my frontal lobes!

I didn't look at my watch until I was closing in on the end of the uphill warmup mile, and I could see I was going a fair bit faster than normal. The next mile is equally up and down hill, then the third mile is all back downhill, so I'm not surprised that was fast. What surprised me was the last mile - I wasn't paying attention to my speed on the flat, and I effortlessly maintained the downhill pace.

Felt good!

Just a couple of real shorties left. Wow.

Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:30 am

That's pretty fast on that route. Good job. Almost there.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:46 pm

Shortest run of the year tonight - 3 miles @ 9:00 per - just taking it easy in this final week of taper. I wanted to run this at the track, but they are playing soccer up there tonight, so I was stuck on the treadmill.
Weather for Sunday is looking perfect - it's getting close enough that I'm now giving some weight to the forecast. Trend looks good - probably 50s, not too windy, maybe some sun.
I've never run a marathon in weather like that - sounds nice!
I'm starting to think this is actually going to happen...
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:20 am

Saturday's looking crappy with rain and wind but better Saturday than Sunday.

One stupid thing I found out is while I can pick up my race numbers on Friday I can't pick up the actual race packet and tshirts until Saturday. I can't figure out that one at all.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:26 am

@Alex Kubacki wrote:Saturday's looking crappy with rain and wind but better Saturday than Sunday.

One stupid thing I found out is while I can pick up my race numbers on Friday I can't pick up the actual race packet and tshirts until Saturday. I can't figure out that one at all.

I'm still hoping the weather improves for you on Saturday. Based on this morning's forecast, they seemed concerned about a storm tracking up the east coast that could change the forecast, which (of course) doesn't sound good. But maybe somehow it'll get better. All you need Saturday is a couple of hours where it doesn't rain or blow too much, and maybe you'll get lucky on that.

The thing with packet pick up for the half makes no sense to me!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison on Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:01 pm

It looks like taper's gone well and now it looks like the weather may cooperate. All systems are go Michael. Have a good rest of the week.
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:31 pm

@Seth Harrison wrote:It looks like taper's gone well and now it looks like the weather may cooperate. All systems are go Michael. Have a good rest of the week.

Thanks Seth! When you say "rest of the week" that sounds about right! Well, maybe "week of the rest" - except for the final 4 miles tonight...
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:29 pm

OK, I am there.

Did the last run on the training schedule, other than the mile or two I'll probably run on Saturday morning, just to shake out the cobwebs.

4 miles @ 9:00 per on the mill. Planned to run this at the track, but got pressed for time. That's fine. Though the mill seemed an odd way to end the cycle - I do like to finish at the track, so I get that "last lap" in. Whatever!

I feel good. The weather looks good. So what could go wrong? Anything!!

But then again, nothing could go wrong...

I'm a little surprised I managed to get here - effectively to the start line - in one piece.
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:30 am

I think the key to getting through the 15-23 stretch of hills is just to stay positive during it. Hopefully we get some good weather.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:12 pm

@Alex Kubacki wrote:I think the key to getting through the 15-23 stretch of hills is just to stay positive during it. Hopefully we get some good weather.

I will embrace the hills and reaffirm the goodness of hilliness in the world.

uh-oh, now I'm sounding like Kenny!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:38 am

Wow, the current forecast for Sunday certainly has deteriorated! Here's the national weather service's take on it:

Sunday: Rain likely, mainly before noon. Mostly sunny, with a high near 47. Breezy, with a northwest wind around 21 mph, with gusts as high as 44 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Glad my goals have been modest! Maybe a 44 mph gust will blow me over the finish line in PR time...
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:35 am

The rain is going to be a timing thing as to when it ends. Accuweather has it ending pretty close to race time. I hope so. 30's and rain isn't exactly comfortable weather.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:03 am

Well, time to shut down this blog, as the race report is up. I'm in the middle of a week off, and feel great. I signed up for Burlington (Memorial Day) yesterday, and I run the Manchester Road Race (a circus) with my daughter on Thanksgiving.

Thanks to everyone for your words of encouragement, humor and camaraderie - it really helped, as usual!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

View previous topic View next topic Back to top