365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

MCM or Bust (seriously, dude, it may bust!)

Page 9 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: MCM or Bust (seriously, dude, it may bust!)

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:56 am

Not a true Indians fan - since I am really a Sox and Braves fan, but it was a good game in spite of leaving way too many men on base and just not being able to capitalize on opportunities.  Thanks for rooting for the Tribe as Cleveland needs the boost. Hopefully it will be a good game tonight and the Browns will win.  Their latest QB is a local Cleveland product that went to the local high school FB powerhouse and backed up Brady for the last couple of years.

Good luck with the last few weeks and I hope that MCM is not affected by the idjits in Congress.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:04 pm

Whew! That sounds like a busy week. Maybe you can plan your 20-miler to run loops around your golfing colleagues, just to make 'em feel like slugs for trolling the fairways in their golf carts. Smile

A three week taper sounds right. You've done the work. Get that last big run done, and enjoy the mental slip-n-slide until race day.
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:50 pm

Just got back from Tarrytown.
Took off early on Friday to do the 20. Did not go as planned! I was feeling great, but it was a bit warm/humid and I was probably going too fast, and I tried to stretch the middle leg out too long without water/gu, and four days of running in a row probably got to me, and I just don't do well on long runs in the afternoon, and, and, and...
Whatever! I felt great until about 13, started to feel like the wheels were going to come off, was still two miles from the car, ran until just past 14, and then just walked in the last mile, having totally bonked. Out of water, out of energy, out of everything. A few years ago, this would have really bothered me. It didn't really get to me.
I might do another 20 next weekend. Maybe not. The first week of taper doesn't look much different than last week (Wednesday run is a bit shorter), except for next weekend. I think I'll decide then! I've done plenty of two week tapers before. It's pretty much all about the psychology of it.
No run yesterday, as expected.
This morning, I headed out from the conference center, which is only about half a mile from the Old Croton Aqueduct Trail, which runs parallel to the Hudson. I found it, no problem, and headed south on it, for a nice easy run. Managed to get in 8 miles at about 9:35 pace. Nice run, though a sweat fest. Not hot, just real humid.
Then a nice brunch and drove back.
So, maybe I'm tapering. But maybe not!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:32 pm

Enjoy Tarrytown!  I lived in Hastings (just south) and worked in Tarrytown right after I graduated in 1983.  I ran to/from work then on the Aqueduct.  Have fun!
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:33 pm

Enjoy Tarrytown!  I lived in Hastings (just south) and worked in Tarrytown right after I graduated in 1983.  I ran to/from work then on the Aqueduct.  Have fun!

(By the way, Tarrytown is where the Sleepy Hollow TV show is taking place.)
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:20 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Enjoy Tarrytown!  I lived in Hastings (just south) and worked in Tarrytown right after I graduated in 1983.  I ran to/from work then on the Aqueduct.  Have fun!

Yes, I was bragging to my wife that I was in Sleepy Hollow! The road where I accessed the trail is also where Washington Irving's estate (Sunnyside) is located. I think I was in Hastings at one point during the run. Is there any place you HAVEN'T lived? Smile
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:07 pm

@Michael Enright wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Enjoy Tarrytown!  I lived in Hastings (just south) and worked in Tarrytown right after I graduated in 1983.  I ran to/from work then on the Aqueduct.  Have fun!

Yes, I was bragging to my wife that I was in Sleepy Hollow! The road where I accessed the trail is also where Washington Irving's estate (Sunnyside) is located. I think I was in Hastings at one point during the run. Is there any place you HAVEN'T lived? Smile
Smile  I worked for General Foods after college and they moved me quite a bit over the first two years (before they were bought by Kraft and then RJR Nabisco), so I lived in NY and worked in Tarrytown and Hoboken, NJ, Dover, DE (for 6 mos), Houston (for 3 mons) and Jacksonville.  Then I got married and moved back to NE and lived in NH after which we were transferred to GA and then OH.  So I haven't really spent anytime west of the Mississippi Wink

Any if you went south along the Aqueduct, you indeed went into Hastings.  Beautiful place to run!
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:18 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:
@Michael Enright wrote:

Smile I worked for General Foods after college and they moved me quite a bit over the first two years (before they were bought by Kraft and then RJR Nabisco), so I lived in NY and worked in Tarrytown and Hoboken, NJ, Dover, DE (for 6 mos), Houston (for 3 mons) and Jacksonville.  Then I got married and moved back to NE and lived in NH after which we were transferred to GA and then OH.  So I haven't really spent anytime west of the Mississippi Wink

Any if you went south along the Aqueduct, you indeed went into Hastings.  Beautiful place to run!
It was very nice!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:05 pm

Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 on Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:16 pm

I must be geographically impaired...I'm good west of the Mississippi, but east throws me occasionally.  I don't know which state Tarrytown is even in.

So, what the decision...tapering or not?
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:38 pm

@dot520 wrote:I must be geographically impaired...I'm good west of the Mississippi, but east throws me occasionally.  I don't know which state Tarrytown is even in.

So, what the decision...tapering or not?
New York, Dot. Just north of NYC, on the Hudson. Very pretty area.

Taper or not, that is the question.

Not sure!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:22 am

Michael,
The work is done.  I would just go by feel this weekend for your mileage. 

What are you running for the spring?
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:56 am

@Alex Kubacki wrote:Michael,
The work is done.  I would just go by feel this weekend for your mileage. 

What are you running for the spring?
Hey Alex, good to hear from you!

I don't know about the spring yet. I'm sure post-MCM I will be laser-focused on it, though!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:29 am

Way to not let the bonk bother you.  You are more than ready to run your planned race at MCM.  Welcome to Taper Madness Smile
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:45 pm

Oof! Nothing like a bonk, is there? I hope you restocked your body once you got home.

Enjoy the taper!
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:47 pm

@Nick Morris wrote:Way to not let the bonk bother you.  You are more than ready to run your planned race at MCM.  Welcome to Taper Madness Smile
Thanks Nick. Taper Madness is one of my favorite places to be. Just this morning, I was walking past my desk and tripped on a file I shouldn't have left next to it, and all I could think about was not injuring myself pre-race!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:48 pm

@Mark B wrote:Oof! Nothing like a bonk, is there? I hope you restocked your body once you got home.

Enjoy the taper!
We had a weekend of relative gluttony, so that was good timing!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:54 pm

@Michael Enright wrote:
@Nick Morris wrote:Way to not let the bonk bother you.  You are more than ready to run your planned race at MCM.  Welcome to Taper Madness Smile
Thanks Nick. Taper Madness is one of my favorite places to be. Just this morning, I was walking past my desk and tripped on a file I shouldn't have left next to it, and all I could think about was not injuring myself pre-race!
Hand sanitizer will be your new best friend Smile
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:19 pm

@Nick Morris wrote:
@Michael Enright wrote:
Suddenly, I notice that everyone around me is sneezing or coughing!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:25 pm

@Michael Enright wrote:
@Nick Morris wrote:
@Michael Enright wrote:
Suddenly, I notice that everyone around me is sneezing or coughing!
Emergen-C stat!!!!
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:54 am

I forgot to mention that I had a taper dream the other night.
I can't remember the details too well, but it was a classic.
Somehow, I was home, I believe, or sitting at a table somewhere else, like having a cup of coffee. Suddenly, I realized that I had been in the middle of running a marathon, and that it was still going on, and that my time at about 20 miles was a PR pace, but for some reason I had become distracted and was now sitting somewhere else.
But there was still time to finish it and at least have a good result. And I felt great and there was no reason not to finish. Unfortunately, I was having a really hard time finding the rest of the course, and went running around where I thought it was, and couldn't get back to it.
Then I woke up.
Taper is a great thing.
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:27 am

5 miles on the mill at the Y last night, jammed in between the end of a work day and the beginning of an evening board meeting. It felt great, though. I watched ESPN and it's amazing how the news cycle works. In the 47 minutes I was on the mill, between the run and the cool down, I heard more about the Clowney and Spurrier than could possibly be useful, and also saw umpteen replays of an NHL goalie in a preseason game deflecting the puck into his own goal. Really? Nothing else going on? Very Happy 
I feel pretty good in general.
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:46 am

I had a great 8 mile run at the track last night, which was very encouraging. I got up there just as the sun was finishing a beautiful sunset. Gorgeous. Then it was just a matter of knocking off the 32 laps!
I had some company. A couple who I've seen up there frequently this fall were up there, as usual, walking around the track, and they sometimes have their grandkids with them, and did this time. One is a boy. I'd guess he's 8 or so. He saw me running and decided to do the same, and he held his own for at least 1.5 miles. He was both annoying and pretty impressive. Annoying because he insisted on staying in front of me, and would slide back and forth among the lanes, sometimes blocking me a just a bit, and his pace was a bit erratic (I think because he would sense me about to pass him, and he needed in his own mind to stay ahead of me). Impressive because I thought for sure he'd fade after a lap or two, but he kept right at it until the adults told him to walk with them (as it got quite dark - I think they were worried because at that point they couldn't see him across the track).
There was also a crossfit training group of some kind who I've seen up there this fall. They occasionally take a lap or two around the track during the workout, and otherwise do batteries of different calisthentics and lunges and things on one corner of the interior of the track. This gets a little annoying only because they sometimes wander out onto the track itself to do some of these things. Mostly, they interfere with lane 1, which I almost never run in, but other times they get out farther than that. It puzzles me why they do this, when they are right next to the large apron where the high jump is sometimes set up (but it's not now, so it's just a big empty area). Why don't they just do all this stuff over there? I assume they just have no sense of track etiquette. I would have expected that as I ran by a couple dozen times in lane 2, they would have figured this out. Oh, well, no matter really.
I paid no attention to my time, felt great throughout, and knocked this off at a few seconds less than a 9:00 pace.
Great run on a beautiful evening!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:40 am

Taper dreams...how fun!!!  It looks like you are ready for MCM.  Enjoy the rest of your taper...I am sure you will have a couple more dreams before race day.
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:00 am

@Nick Morris wrote:Taper dreams...how fun!!!  It looks like you are ready for MCM.  Enjoy the rest of your taper...I am sure you will have a couple more dreams before race day.
Thanks Nick. I'm not so sure about the dreams - I very rarely remember mine.

I banged out 5 miles on the treadmill last night while watching the Tigers beat the As. Wow, that Verlander is a stud.

I feel great.
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top