365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MCM or Bust (seriously, dude, it may bust!)

+12
Paula Sue
Dave P
mul21
dot520
Schuey
ounce
KBFitz
Michele "1L" Keane
Mark B
Chris M
Nick Morris
Michael Enright
16 posters

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

MCM or Bust (seriously, dude, it may bust!) - Page 2 Empty Re: MCM or Bust (seriously, dude, it may bust!)

Post  Michael Enright Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:49 pm

ounce wrote:If you're looking for a place to stay, I stayed at the Virginian Suites, which is a quarter mile from the Iwo Jima Memorial.  It was nice to be so close.

Good luck on the training!

Thanks - my buddy and co-pilot on this one is in the travel biz, so I'm leaving that to him, but will pass that on.

3 easy tm miles tonight. Was surprised it felt hard. I guess 5 weeks off will do that. Had a sorta twinge in the knee, but that passed immediately.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

MCM or Bust (seriously, dude, it may bust!) - Page 2 Empty Re: MCM or Bust (seriously, dude, it may bust!)

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:38 am

It will probably take you a lottle bit of time to get back into the swing of things after your layoff.  Glad to hear that the twinge went away immediatly, as well.  Do you think that you felt the little twinge, because all of your focus is on that knee?  I have noticed that when I am coming back from a niggle or injury that I feel everylittle twinge, because I am so focused on the area I hurt.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:42 am

Nick Morris wrote:It will probably take you a lottle bit of time to get back into the swing of things after your layoff.  Glad to hear that the twinge went away immediatly, as well.  Do you think that you felt the little twinge, because all of your focus is on that knee?  I have noticed that when I am coming back from a niggle or injury that I feel everylittle twinge, because I am so focused on the area I hurt.

I probably gave it more notice because of my concerns about it, for sure. I was on the tm and had fewer distractions than when I'm outside. I also wonder if my footstrike is a tad different on the tm because of the constant speed on the tm, and that may be a factor. Not sure.

I feel good this morning.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:31 pm

Michael Enright wrote:

I feel good this morning.

This is all that matters Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:10 pm

Yes!!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:37 am

4 easy miles through Beverly this morning. Warm morning. Averaged around 9:15 per. Knee is ok!
I think I might take the kids to the Museum of Science and Industry today. Then, a big family pizza night at a local favorite place.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:52 am

Michael Enright wrote:4 easy miles through Beverly this morning. Warm morning. Averaged around 9:15 per. Knee is ok!I think I might take the kids to the Museum of Science and Industry today. Then, a big family pizza night at a local favorite place.

I saw you said "Beverly" and started to think if you were in Chicago and then the MSI gave it a way. Hope you are having a great time in the hometown! Which pizza joint are you going to?
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:26 pm

Schuey wrote:
Michael Enright wrote:4 easy miles through Beverly this morning. Warm morning. Averaged around 9:15 per. Knee is ok!I think I might take the kids to the Museum of Science and Industry today. Then, a big family pizza night at a local favorite place.
I saw you said "Beverly" and started to think if you were in Chicago and then the MSI gave it a way. Hope you are having a great time in the hometown! Which pizza joint are you going to?
We had a gas at MSI. Haven't been there in years, and the kids had the run of the place and are old enough to do what they want (14-20). That was fun. We eat pizza at a traditional Beverly place (Fox's). Nothing fancy, flat, but tasty, and what we grew up with. If I had my way, we'd go to Due's!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:33 am

Another easy 4 miles this morning. Gotta work off a belly full of pizza! Seriously, more interested in getting in at least four runs this week, and getting in some back to back, to get readt for the first week of MCM training. Just ran up Longwood Drive, from 94th to 110th, and back. Nice morning, a little warm, thirsty at the end. 
Sitting here with my 86 year old Dad, who is delighted to have someone to talk to. I love him, but he does test my patience. I try to focus on being grateful to have him around and for all that he has done for me.
Sort of a lazy day until we kick into full wedding-prep mode later in the day. My bride thinks she is going to use my Mom's old iron to touch a few things up, so I'd best head to Walgreen's and buy a cheap new iron. 
The wedding is at the Bridgeport Arts Center, at 35th and Racine, which is the refurbished Spiegel's warehouse. Seems bizaare, but they say the space is really cool.
Ought to be a lot of fun. I rarely get to see all 8 of my siblings at once, plus, all of our kids but one will be there, so that's 16 grandchildren together. Better warn the CPD in advance!!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:33 am

Packing up to head back to Connecticut shortly. Great trip! Another 4 miles, this time over to 107th and Leavitt and back. Felt good this time. Gonna be a hot day im Chicago!
I am declaring myself good to go for MCM training starting this week.
Let's go!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:45 pm

Yahoo!!
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:50 pm

dot520 wrote:Yahoo!!

I like the sound of that, Dot.

Or maybe Google...
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:03 am

I think every time I've run a training cycle using Hal's Int I, I've turned the 3 mile runs into 4 mile runs, because I just never run anything that short, unless it's a 5k race. A 3 miler just seems a little cute. I'm running barely long enough to break a sweat, so it doesn't seem worth it, either from a marathon training perspective or from a general cardio workout perspective.

But, I need to start slow, and I'm coming from next to nothing in recent weeks. So, I headed out the door at about 6:00 am and up the hill, and knocked off a real easy-paced 3 miles. Hot enough this morning that I was dripping at the end. Gotta love that late June southern New England humidity!

Still feels good.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:49 pm

Good idea in taking it slow.  The only time I run three miles is when I am doing a recovery run.

You gotta love how things are going so far, huh?
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:26 am

Nick Morris wrote:Good idea in taking it slow.  The only time I run three miles is when I am doing a recovery run.

You gotta love how things are going so far, huh?

So far, so good!

Thanks.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:35 am

I did the Wednesday slightly longer run today, in week 1 of the cycle, so that was 5 miles.

Man, did it seem hot and humid out there early this a.m.! Plus, it was downright buggy. I think the cold spring we had means the bugs are still out there, where in prior years they tended to not be so overwhelming by late June. I could barely stand in my driveway and get my watch set up, they were swarming me so. It was better once I got started, though I did still kill a couple of some kind of flies that I encounter along the way.

I also startled a young deer just off the roadside in the brush as I ran by, and it sure made a lot of noise freaking out and stumbling through the brush away from me.

All went well, and I continue to take the pace easy.

I weighed myself before, then did the run, chugged half a liter of water, ate some breakfast, and weighed myself again, and despite the intake, I was still down a pound, so I clearly sweated like a pig on this relatively short run. A testament, I suppose, to the conditions. Hope this mass of hot wet air clears out of here soon.

In the meantime, it has blown up some really interesting late afternoon spotty t-storms. I drove home yesterday at a little after 6:00, and I could see it coming in from my view out the 26th floor window just before I left. I decided to beat the storm and get on the highway, but it interrupted my commute, and the wind was really impressive. Then the rain came so it was like driving in a car wash, and then it was gone before I got home, and it hadn't rained there.

When I got home, I could hear it coming, so warned my (almost 21 year old) son to go close his car windows. He thought I was a bit too excited about this, but pulled himself away from the important tasks he was performing on the Xbox just in time, and was grateful I'd lit a fire under him, as it started to pour right after he got them closed.

Knee feels a little bit more sore than I'd like (the other knee doesn't), but not a deterrent, so I'll just keep at it faithfully.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:56 pm

An easy 3 miles this morning. I thought about doing it on the treadmill, just because I didn't want to run up the big hill heading east from our house, but decided that soon enough for some reason (rain, likely), I'll get stuck on the tm anyway, so might as well stay on the road. But I did decide to change it up quite a bit by taking a right turn out of the driveway instead of a left, and running down the state highway, on the shoulder, and on the grass, for an out and back.

The good news is that it's a lot less hilly. Flat, even, by New England standards. The bad news is that there is too much traffic and not enough of a buffer zone. It's not too bad early in the morning, so it worked out pretty well. At the end, I concluded that I ought to head out that way more, especially on those mornings where I am just tired of running up that damn hill over and over again.

I am running slow. I noticed other times when I am coming back from an injury that I just pretty naturally run quite a bit slower for a while, and that has happened over the last two weeks. I'm averaging probably between 9:15 and 9:30 per mile on most runs. Probably better for me. All these years, I've tended to run my training runs too fast. For my best marathon, which is still my first, I was injured mid-cycle for a few weeks and had to start up again very slowly, and just let that happen, yet ran the fastest marathon. So, I think it can't hurt, and probably helps.

We are in the midst of a new project - tearing up the interior of one of our outbuildings and fixing it up as my wife's studio. There's now a giant dumpster where I normally park in the driveway. Fortunately, someone else is doing the work! It is fun to watch them progress, and hopefully it will move pretty quickly. It will be nice to have her happily situated a few steps from our back door.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:53 pm

The schedule has a five mile pace run on it for today. I've never gotten much out of Hal's pace run concept. As I recall, the idea is to get your body used to what race pace feels like, so you can settle into it on race day. That's never really worked for me. Not sure why. So, I always tended to run the pace runs too fast. And for some training cycles, I would just run the pace runs like any other run, because that way I avoided getting overly tired from running overly fast pace runs, which I wasn't feeling any benefit from anyway.

I've run slow the last two weeks, working my way back up from zero. I thought I'd try to pick it up for this run, but not too fast. I headed up to the rail trail with my daughter. I was going to run, and she was going to ride and meet me back at the car when we were done. Hot day, but not as hot as the last few, and humid.

I headed off slightly downhill, and just took it easy and warmed up for the first mile. The next mile is the most downhill stretch, and I picked it up there, and I'm not surprised it turned into my fastest lap. Then another half mile slightly downhill, and turned around and came back. Hit the pace for the last three miles just about right, so that was good. And my daughter arrived back just as I was finishing my cool down walk, so the logistics were good, too.

Then I got home, ate, cleaned up, and took my other daughter to the running specialty store to return the shoes she got a month ago and can't stand (some ASICS stability shoe). She swapped them for a pair of Nike Zoom something or other. I sure hope she is happier with those!

We are gutting one of our outbuildings and turning it into a studio for my wife to work in, so we've got a giant dumpster in the driveway. Let me tell you, once you start tossing other junk in the dumpster, it becomes addictive. It's amazing how much space you can free up. I think every American ought to have a dumpster at least once every three or four years!  That or a yard sale every other week...

19:26.41.009:26
28:36.21.008:36
38:53.61.008:54
48:58.01.008:58
59:00.91.009:03
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:20 am

Good job on the running so far!
I've been threatening to get a 20 yard dumpster delivered so the garage and basement could be overhauled.  We managed to clean out a couple big truck loads full and take them to the dumpster at work but we need the BIG one to really get the job done.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:26 am

As far as dumpsters go - Go Big!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:27 am

I agree and have moved away from do Hal's Saturday pace runs, as there is a better chance of injury, than the benefit physically.  Glad that you were able to get five miles in on the knee.  Just keep taking it slow and, inch by inch, you'll make it back.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:54 pm

Today was the 8 mile "long" run of week 1 of Hal's Int I.

Again, seemed odd that it actually felt like a long run! I checked my log, and with the time I took off, it's been 8 weeks since I've run that far. Plus it was over 80 when I started, with a dew point of 71, which didn't make it nice. But I knew all that, and drank a lot of fluids and just went easy. It was a real sweatfest, and I was beat at the end, but managed to bring it in at a pretty typical long run pace for me when I'm not running them too fast (about 9:40). In the past, I've often run too fast early in the cycle, so I guess coming off the knee thing has kept me honest on that score. And the knee felt pretty good. A little bit of soreness along the way, but I am now hypersensitive to anything at all in that knee.
Feels fine as I type this.

Had my daughter out there at the same time, riding her bike, and our paths crossed enough that it was nice. Plus, good company for the short ride to and from the trail head.

Sure wish the humidity would clear out of here. Muggy as can be and rains some everyday - like living in the rainforest.

Plan is to get up early tomorrow and do a short bike ride before work. A little x-training would do me some good...
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:08 pm

I hear you on the longest run you've done in a while.  I went 14 yesterday and that was my longest run of the year and the wheels were falling off a bit the last mile or so.  Hope the knee continues to hold up.  I've had some mild inflammation in my knee here and there and found wearing a knee brace occasionally when I'm not running kind helped stabilize everything pretty well.  No idea if that would help, but it's worked for me in the recent past.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:10 pm

Similarly, I used to start out my training cycles too fast.  Last year was the first year that I forced myself to take it easy for the first few weeks of the cycle.  It seemed to work out well for me, so I am implementing it again this year.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:11 pm

mul21 wrote:I hear you on the longest run you've done in a while.  I went 14 yesterday and that was my longest run of the year and the wheels were falling off a bit the last mile or so.  Hope the knee continues to hold up.  I've had some mild inflammation in my knee here and there and found wearing a knee brace occasionally when I'm not running kind helped stabilize everything pretty well.  No idea if that would help, but it's worked for me in the recent past.

I thought maybe the doc would recommend a brace, because it's torque on the knee that causes pain, but he didn't suggest it. If I have problems, I likely will try one out. If I can keep it straight, I should be ok
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next