365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Caffeine and Running (I am a believer now)

+3
Nick Morris
Michele "1L" Keane
carleenp
7 posters

Go down

Caffeine and Running (I am a believer now) Empty Caffeine and Running (I am a believer now)

Post  carleenp Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:31 pm

I read that caffeine only works as a performance booster when the person using it doesn't normally take in caffeine. I think I also read that you need to be off of it for a good 3-4 weeks first. I can officially attest to that now. I had used gels with it in the past with no notice of any difference between a caffeinated gel and an uncaffeinated one. But 6 months ago or so I gave up caffeine. During a 16 miler a few weeks ago I took 2 caffeinated gels and noticed a significant boost from them. I ended up doing an unplanned fast finish long run and felt great.  Then today I took one half way through my 10 mile pace run. I had to struggle to run slow enough the last 3-4 miles and was still too much above pace even though it was starting to get hot out and I was in the sun. Again, I felt great.

So, I am a believer.  I won't be having any more caffeine now until my race. Figured I would share in case anyone ever thought about going caffeine free in order to try this. I found it rather interesting!
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Caffeine and Running (I am a believer now) Empty Re: Caffeine and Running (I am a believer now)

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:00 pm

Wow. I'll have to try this. I'm not a big caffeine user as I maybe have 2-3 cups of coffee per week. It would be easy to skip and just drink herbal or green tea as I often drink it for the social value (Starbucks after a run with friends)
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Caffeine and Running (I am a believer now) Empty Re: Caffeine and Running (I am a believer now)

Post  carleenp Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:51 pm

Be careful with green tea. Sometimes it has caffeine! Depends on the brand.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:18 pm

I am a believer in caffeine before a hard long run or a race. I had cut caffeine out of my diet while in high school and started using it for running about 5 years ago. For me it works wonders, but I am a pretty hyperactive guy to begin with, so when I take caffeine my hyperactivity goes through the roof!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:50 pm

Carleen, do you have references as to the need to be off caffeine so long for it to be effective? I am a believer in what you say and even go so far as drinking a Rock Star (lots of caffeine) before a marathon and use the GUs with caffeine. But I have never heard you have to cut it out completely. What I read was to reduce your normal caffeine intake 2-3 weeks before a marathon but that eliminating it was not necessary. Just a quick Google search now shows lots of articles on the benefits of caffeine but none really say you have to be off it before for it to be effective.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:43 pm

I don't recall where I read it, but I know it was within the past month. It was probably in one of the running magazines or it could also have been in the Hanson's book since I recently read that. I don't think I saw it online. I can't seem to locate it now though. I think what I read said to go off it completely for a minimum of 3 weeks. But looking now online, there does seem to be all sorts of conflicting reports on that. 

I do know that having been off of it for over 6 months, it sure does work for me when it used to do nothing noticeable for me before (I previously drank several sodas or cups of coffee/day). But how short you could go cutting it out or if just cutting back would get the same effect, I have no personal experience with.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:13 pm

I also use Gu with caffeine and I think I notice a difference but it is slight.  I am a coffee drinker though.  I wonder...

If we assume that a person who doesn't consume caffeine is performing at 100% and when they consume caffeine they perform at say 110% they will notice the difference.

So is a person who normally consumes caffeine always performing above 100%...say at 105%.  When they consumed caffeine and increased their performance to 110% the increase would be more difficult to notice.

And how much of the effect of caffeine is a placebo affect?

I don't have any answers...just more questions...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:42 am

I think that caffeine does affect people differently.  For example, if I take a 5 Hour Energy Shot at 6 am, it will have me amped until like 10 pm and I end up having a hard time falling a sleep.  But I know others that have taken them and they do not do much if anything to them.  Our bodies process it differently.

Also, I do think that there probably is some placebo affect with caffeine.  But either way, for me, I get better results...I'll take that Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:14 am

Just FYI, there is non caffeine diet coke.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:10 am

Jerry wrote:Just FYI, there is non caffeine diet coke.

Yes Jerry, they do make caffeine free Diet Coke...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:49 am

Nick Morris wrote:

Jerry wrote:Just FYI, there is non caffeine diet coke.

Yes Jerry, they do make caffeine free Diet Coke...
Heehee, forget the real term. I typically only drink the real diet one.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am

I'm reading Matt Fitzgerald's new book on race nutrition right now and he said to caffeine fast for at least a week and longer if you use a lot of caffeine daily.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:09 pm

carleenp wrote:I'm reading Matt Fitzgerald's new book on race nutrition right now and he said to caffeine fast for at least a week and longer if you use a lot of caffeine daily.

Not sure I could give up caffeine entirely but I think I could fast for a week.  Wonder if I should try it prior to my marathon...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:22 pm

I gave up caffeine almost 8 weeks ago. I'll try it when I start doing long runs again and see if I notice anything. One thing I have noticed being caffeine free is that I really feel the effects of low iron now. Working on that now.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:41 pm

dot520 wrote:I gave up caffeine almost 8 weeks ago.  I'll try it when I start doing long runs again and see if I notice anything.  One thing I have noticed being caffeine free is that I really feel the effects of low iron now. Working on that now.

I use an iron supplement called Bifera, Dot, and it works quite well.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:24 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:

Over the counter?  I'll look into it.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:56 pm

dot520 wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:

Over the counter?  I'll look into it.

Yes, over the counter.  I found out about it at a marathon expo, and I have used it ever since.  No stomach issues.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:11 pm

If you are an avid caffeine drinker, then you will definitely feel the affects if you abstain for a while.  I would experiment to see how much of an affect you will get.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:18 am

nkrichards wrote:
Not sure I could give up caffeine entirely but I think I could fast for a week.  Wonder if I should try it prior to my marathon...

You mean try it prior to one of your long runs, right??
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:07 pm

I used my last long run today to test my fueling for the marathon, so I took three Gu's with caffeine during it. Easiest long run I have had in ages. I will have no caffeine now until the race.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:42 pm

dot520 wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

You mean try it prior to one of your long runs, right??

Yes,  I'll lay off the caffeine during training and take Gu with caffeine during a long run and see how it goes.  Sounds like that's exactly what Carleen did.  I've been a coffee drinker for a while now...my biggest concern may be my normal early morning...err...bodily functions.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down