365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Much Ado About Nothing

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Much Ado About Nothing

Post  Mike MacLellan on Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:31 pm

Almost a grand later, the car is fixed.  Turns out the alternator shit out on me.  Also, motorcycle still hasn't been nabbed.  I'm starting to think that either some kids or some of the local cats decided to play on it.  

Had an all-day job yesterday that ended up finishing a couple hours early, so I was free to get to my Thursday night group ride.  I didn't put out a spectacular performance by any means, but I took some strong pulls and ended up as part of the lead-out train for two of the sprints.  Just felt nice to be back on the bike.

No jobs today, so tidying up the apartment and my life is on the agenda.  Also, did a 4mi run today.  Felt good.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:07 pm

Car back and fixed, woo!
Motorcycle with no signs of further foul play, woo!

Did a 55mi ride with the group yesterday.  Pretty damn fast (average over 20mph) with a decent amount of climbing.  Won a KOM, got 2nd on the 2nd climb, and won the big sprint at the end... from 300m out at 34mph with a headwind.  That sucked.

6mi run today.  First 3 with Aileen, then turned as she went for 1 more before turning.  Dropped the 4th down to what felt easy but not boring (low 8s), then an MP mile (I know, discipline?) that clocked in at 6:47, a cool down mile and 3x 8sec hill sprints.  All in all, pretty good.  Still some very minor niggling on my left anterior tibia, but I know at this point it's muscular and am actively working to get those knots out.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:36 pm

I've been running, I promise!

Had a day off work Monday, which I was initially looking forward to... until it was just a really boring day.  On the upside, a friend who's been out of town for the last 6 weeks (!) got home Saturday, so she came up in the morning for a 3-miler.  We caught up a bit afterwards.

Tuesday brought a day-long job, which was very difficult and a bit discouraging.  Such is the life of an interpreter.  The majority of my "turns" involved very technical financial discussion and/or legalese.  Not to mention there were ~10 other interpreters in the audience, plus more people who knew sign, so there's that additional pressure.  A 5-miler helped to placate my feeling of suck afterwards.

Yesterday was a nice upturn in my interpreting life.  I had a 9-5 job and another from 6:30-8, which meant I was out the door at 6:05 for my 3-miler.  Man, that was a really nice way to start the day.  I may have to start getting used to early morning runs before long work days.  My all-day job went very smoothly, had a ton of variety, and I was at least somewhat competent with each subject that was discussed at length.  And then, as my team put it, I had my cherry popped as a professional interpreter.  I had my first paid, freelance job as an interpreter (as opposed to intern, which is what I've been titled all summer long).  Of course, it was a low-stakes thing, but I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly I changed my mindset from observer/newbie to equal with my team.  Nota bene: my team was one of my teachers with whom I've developed a very close relationship since graduation; she's also one of the most well-known interpreters in the whole area...  I'm not even close to "equal" in skill or experience, but you get the point, right?

The day ended with the usual Wednesday night dinner at another interpreter friend's apartment, this week showcasing French food and good conversation until just about midnight.  Looooong day.  

TL;DR
M - 3mi
T - 5mi
W - 3mi

Upcoming:
Th - 5mi morning, race ride afternoon
F - 3mi
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:43 pm

Congratulations, Mike! That step from apprentice to journeyman is such a great feeling thing, isn't it?

And, oh yes, good workouts, too!
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:59 pm

Ahhh, our little grasshopper is joining the real world.  Nice work on all counts, Mike.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:37 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Ahhh, our little grasshopper is joining the real world.  Nice work on all counts, Mike.
Hahaha, it's about time I got out of my fantasy one, isn't it?

Thank you to you both.

---

Post-run, I don't want to be TOO optimistic, but it seems like my body is green-lighting this whole running thing.  Shin splint virtually nowhere to be found today, and unintentionally averaged sub-8.  Well then.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:13 pm

More good career news.  A little background (condensed):

There are two main assessments used to qualify interpreters in the US.  The first is RID's NIC, which is a national certification.  It's the end-all.  Once you have that, you're certified forever...  As long as you stay in good standing.
The other is the EIPA, an educational interpreting assessment (not certification).  Because of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, states have individually selected what is considered "qualified" for educational interpreters.  In California, it's either a passed NIC (or any previous RID test) or an EIPA 4.0 or above.  In other states, it's a 3.5, or even a 3.0.  The highest is a 5.0.  

Got my results for the EIPA back yesterday.  4.6.  Jaw pretty much hit the floor.  Needless to say, I'm stoked.  It's nice to have some validation after a couple very challenging jobs in the last 2 weeks, and it's nice to know that I'll be seeing a huge pay raise.  Hell, maybe I can even afford another new pair of shoes.

---

The race ride was more race than ride, last night.  A few people took off WAY early for the sprint (300m before the usual lead out starts) which shattered the pack.  I couldn't bridge up to the next 2 guys that went, so I came in 5th, barely missing the first two who were gassed at the 400m line.  On the way back, maybe a third of the way in, two very, very, very strong guys got on the front and hammered it at 30+ for about a minute, which again shattered the pack.  I hung on, second wheel, until a little bump broke my morale and I let myself sit up.  The pedal back was not fun.

Despite the extra effort last night, today's run was near perfect.  3mi recovery in which I had to actively slow myself down.  I still averaged in the 8:30s, despite feeling completely calm and easy throughout the run.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:21 pm

The only emoticon sign language I can find to comment on your awesome 4.6 rating?

cheers cheers cheers 

Of course... Money Money Money can't hurt, when it comes.

As long as you don't blow it all on Shots Shots Shots

All joking aside, congratulations. You've clearly got a gift for translating, a killer work ethic, and a willingness to provide a valuable service.

Proud of you!
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:35 pm

Woohoo!!!!  And I can sign at least the letters......
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:07 pm

Thanks again folks!  Apparently I'm pretty good at what I do.  And I love it, so even better!

Speaking of loving it, 38mi solo ride this morning.  After running 5 days in a row, it was time for a break from that.  Rode the old Tuesday night rollers route, before the hills route started up.  Had some good LT efforts in there, but nothing too excessive.  

Was planning to head to A-town with Aileen tomorrow, but the American River fire is wrecking havoc up there, so I guess we'll run elsewhere.  6-7mi for me, 9 for her.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:29 pm

More uphill news to report since the last update...  Things are going really well for me lately.  Trying to enjoy and really take advantage of every opportunity I'm getting.  

Sunday brought a 7-miler in some mean heat (and unusual humidity).  All in all, it was a pretty good run.  

Monday brought a 3-miler in the morning with a friend (already 80 degrees at 8am... ugh), some monstrous heat throughout the day, couple with smoke from the fires in the foothills...  But fortunately I was at a 5-hr job and missed most of the day.  My second paid job as a freelancer, and it went very well.

Today is considerably cooler than yesterday (yes, we're back to obsessing over weather... I am SO ready for fall) and breezy, which made my 5-miler feel incredible.  Felt light and smooth the whole time, posting splits ranging from 8:40 to 7:53.  

I've got a job this afternoon which should be interesting, and then a pretty full day tomorrow, which will mean a sunrise run.  Just gonna ride this wave of good, for now.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:45 pm

Still pluggin' away and logging miles.  3.1mi yesterday, 5.86mi today.  Today was a 45min run that sort of became a progression run, I guess?  I don't know, felt pretty easy (focused, but easy) until the last 7min.  So maybe a baby progression run.

Race ride tonight and a day off tomorrow.

I still like my career very much.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:29 pm

Looking good, Mike! Solid workouts, job satisfaction... enjoy it!
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP on Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:56 pm

Nice job on that score! Reminds me of a kid who got a 32 on the ACT!
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:58 am

I... I did well on my SATs, too... Wink

---

Off day Friday.  Worked a bit, hung with Aileen, then she left for her cousin's for the weekend.  

4mi recovery run with my team from last semester this morning.  Then she made some BOMB French Toast that was actually somewhat healthy.  Just "worked" from 6-9:30 to kill some time.  Man, I still love this job.

I want to go run right now.  Motivation is at an all-time high.  Probably because I spent an hour or two planning out my training.  I'm 90% sure I'll be running the... no laughter please... Modesto Marathon.  March 23, 2014.  Flat, orchards, and still chilly.  Should be perfect for a sub-3 attempt.  I was debating Napa, but it was really early in March and a lot of people said it's deceptively hilly.  

Got an hour tomorrow.  Looking forward to it.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:45 am

A goal, yeah!!!  Now, I worked in Modesto years ago (when I worked for General Foods back in the 80s), and it can be warm, so prepare yourself for everything.  It was pretty, farm country.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:07 pm

Sounds like a great goal! I am missing why we'd be laughing but either way, good for you.
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:51 pm

Michele - Looks like it's the same as here, temperature-wise.  We had 1 day that hit 80 this past March, as did they.  Average low is 47 and high is 69 for race day.

Julie - It's the middle of nowhere.  Which, for a California marathon, is kind of like a "what's the point?"

---

Yep, the mind is definitely invigorated.  It'll be really important for me to hold back right now.  I remember feeling this way for the first 4 months of my OC Marathon training, having to hold back on every single run, only giving myself a 5min bonus if I felt really, really good, and it paid off well.

That said, I mapped out a 7.75mi course this morning and ran it without looking at my watch once.  I ended up having the following splits:
8:42, 8:20, 8:02, 7:54, 7:54, 7:49, 7:49, and 7:59 average for the last bit.  Felt smooth and light the entire time, and yes, I was holding back.  1:02 final time.  

Ahhhh, love this feeling.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:40 am

3mi pre-sunrise to start the week off right.

Quick question: still getting the occasional (maybe 3-4 days/week) niggle from the case of shin splints I had in the spring.  It never gets much worse than just "there," but I'd rather it's taken care of sooner than later.  I've been icing it immediately after running and at night if I remember, as well as keeping my calves stretched out.  I've reverted to my previous footstrike after having read that a forefoot strike tends to cause this type of thing.  I'd prefer to avoid an NSAID regimen, but if that's the only other thing to do short of rest (ha!), I guess I could start that.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:44 am

@Mike MacLellan wrote:3mi pre-sunrise to start the week off right.

Quick question: still getting the occasional (maybe 3-4 days/week) niggle from the case of shin splints I had in the spring.  It never gets much worse than just "there," but I'd rather it's taken care of sooner than later.  I've been icing it immediately after running and at night if I remember, as well as keeping my calves stretched out.  I've reverted to my previous footstrike after having read that a forefoot strike tends to cause this type of thing.  I'd prefer to avoid an NSAID regimen, but if that's the only other thing to do short of rest (ha!), I guess I could start that.
Are you wearing the new shoes?  Even if you are, I'd suggest a second pair that provides a little more cushioning for your easy days where a light shoe isn't as big of a deal.  You should be able to find something reasonably priced at Running Warehouse that will fit the bill.  I have a couple pairs of NB 905s that have worked really well and while they provide some extra cushioning, they aren't tanks.
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:58 am

@mul21 wrote:
@Mike MacLellan wrote:3mi pre-sunrise to start the week off right.

Are you wearing the new shoes?  Even if you are, I'd suggest a second pair that provides a little more cushioning for your easy days where a light shoe isn't as big of a deal.  You should be able to find something reasonably priced at Running Warehouse that will fit the bill.  I have a couple pairs of NB 905s that have worked really well and while they provide some extra cushioning, they aren't tanks.
Funny you should mention that.  I bought a pair of Brooks Ghost 5s on clearance about a month ago.  I've been using them for my longer runs and my old Ghost 4s (alternating pairs) for short runs.  The 4s probably have 1000 miles on each pair.  I just bought another pair of 5s yesterday and they'll get here tomorrow.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:14 am

Back in the day when I got the occasional shin splint, I used to make sure and do calf raises to strengthen the area.  They always seemed to help.  I think a podiatrist told me to do them.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:21 am

Doing good Mike.  Good to see you back at it with the running.  I've been hammering away on the bike trying to be careful coming out of the saddle with my achilles. Once upon a time I used to ride a lot.  Keep up the great work and take care of the shin.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:27 pm

Thanks Alex.  Yeah, the bike can be a bit deceiving for injury prevention, so you're smart to be aware of your positioning.  I started to get some ankle stuff going on with the riding I was doing, since I'd really torque the pedals during sprints.  

---

Let's see, last post was Monday.  Since then, just a boring cutback week.

5mi Tuesday, 3mi yesterday, 5mi today.  

Wore the new-new shoes yesterday, also Ghost 5s, and it's amazing how with less than 100mi in the old-new ones, the feel on my foot is already completely different.  Either way, the shin splint is again in remission.  That's nice.

---

Being a working stiff is draining.  Fun, but draining.  I still love my career (this is good, a week in, right?) but boy is it different when you're doing it 30hr/week (which is considered full-time for an interpreter, mind you) compared to 5.  Fortunately, that sort of repetition more or less forces me to be more confident and prepared for whatever assignment I walk into, since I'm no longer "intern" or "student."  I'm feeling good about that level of responsibility and my ability to handle it.  Yep.

Aileen and I head south for the long weekend tomorrow.  Got a couple short runs and a long drive back Monday.  Should be a nice very-end-of-the-summer trip.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:32 pm

I had an open house tonight for my daughter's new school and there was a deaf couple sitting up front and an interpreter up there for them.  At one point, the microphone malfunctioned and there was a very loud static kind of noise.  I was very amused at how animated the interpreter got when signing what happened to the couple.  It was pretty interesting to watch her in general and to see how much sense the signing made when you already knew what she was saying.  Not something you see every day in my world.
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: