365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Indianapolis 500

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Indianapolis 500

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:04 am

@Michael Enright wrote:I think easy does it, and put a hold on the extra shot of adrenaline in the start chute. Easy to get swept up into the spirit of the race! Run smart...
@Nick Morris wrote:
@Michael Enright wrote:I think easy does it, and put a hold on the extra shot of adrenaline in the start chute. Easy to get swept up into the spirit of the race! Run smart...
+1...I would think of it as a fast training run.
Thanks to both of you.  I'm feeling very good which is indeed dangerous.  If I can, I think I will run 15-16 on Saturday and then use Sunday as a MP run.  My thought is to warm up for the first 3 miles, settle into pace until mile 10 and then run a hard 5K.  We will see as I honestly can't remember feeling this good for a long time.  Of course, the weather is supposed to be a bit warmer this week and the baseball playoffs start, and I am a sucker for playoff baseball.
avatar
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4715
Points : 10893
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 55
Location : Cleveland (Bay Village), OH/Atlanta, GA

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Indianapolis 500

Post  Nick Morris on Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:31 pm

I think that sounds like a good plan.  

It's been a couple of years since the Indians made the post season.  2007, right??
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11778
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 36
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Indianapolis 500

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:38 pm

@Nick Morris wrote:I think that sounds like a good plan.  

It's been a couple of years since the Indians made the post season.  2007, right??
Yes, 2007. Of course the last few times (three I think) the Indians made it to the post season they either lost to my Red Sox or my Braves.  Doesn't make my hubby too happy, and he might not be pleased when I wear my Red Sox Championship shirt to the game on Wednesday night Wink  (Yes, I am going - no I wouldn't do that).
avatar
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4715
Points : 10893
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 55
Location : Cleveland (Bay Village), OH/Atlanta, GA

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Indianapolis 500

Post  Nick Morris on Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:45 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:
@Nick Morris wrote:I think that sounds like a good plan.  

It's been a couple of years since the Indians made the post season.  2007, right??
Yes, 2007. Of course the last few times (three I think) the Indians made it to the post season they either lost to my Red Sox or my Braves.  Doesn't make my hubby too happy, and he might not be pleased when I wear my Red Sox Championship shirt to the game on Wednesday night Wink  (Yes, I am going - no I wouldn't do that).
I would wear it as an undershirt Smile  It would probably be best that way...
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11778
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 36
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Indianapolis 500

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:43 pm

Well, I definitely have my speed back - as for endurance, well this weekend will tell for sure.  Yesterday's workout was 8-10 Yasso 800s.  Well, I don't truly believe that they will predict my actual marathon time, and I believe they would be off 10-15 minutes, but they were still a success.  I started with a 3:40, then proceeded to run 3:35, 3:36, 3:30, 3:28, 3:26, 3:27, 3:27, 3:26.  I'll take it especially since they were still accomplished with some effort involved in dodging the band and having to run in lane 3.  I also only took 200 rest between them with the first 100 walked and the second 100 jogged.  I was beat this morning though but after 5 recovery miles I felt good.

On a another note, the TV station in Boston is reporting that the Boston bomber is complaining that his treatment in jail is "overly harsh".  Poor baby - what about his "overly harsh" actions that resulted in permanent, life changing injury for his victims. I hate crybabies.  Which of course brings me to Congress and the largest group of crybabies ever.  Taking your toys home doesn't cut it - see if I vote for any of you again.

Back to running, this weekend will be interesting as I am using the RnR half as a pace run (it isn't exactly flat either which might make some Cleveland runners unhappy) following a 15-16 mile LSD on Saturday.  If I survive as i hope to, this will be a good telling of how Indy might go.
avatar
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4715
Points : 10893
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 55
Location : Cleveland (Bay Village), OH/Atlanta, GA

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Indianapolis 500

Post  Nick Morris on Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:12 pm

Yes, it definitely looks like your speed is there.  Good job on 800s!!  I think that the HM will go as planned, a nice pace run.  Good luck!!

Also, I agree with you on both of your rants.  Did you see the Daily Show clip where Jon Stewart explains the whole shut down situation?


avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11778
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 36
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Indianapolis 500

Post  Nick Morris on Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:58 am

Sorry Michele...Cleveland had a good year (I know they are not your #1 team), but ended up suffering what the Brewers suffered all season...Leaving too many men on base.  Oh well, you still have the Red Sox to root for Smile
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11778
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 36
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Indianapolis 500

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:13 am

@Nick Morris wrote:Sorry Michele...Cleveland had a good year (I know they are not your #1 team), but ended up suffering what the Brewers suffered all season...Leaving too many men on base.  Oh well, you still have the Red Sox to root for Smile
Thanks, Nick.  And the Braves too - don't forget that I have an AL and NL team in the hunt.  I would love for the Sox to play the Braves, but that would be a tough one for me to choose a winner.

I don't think anyone here in Cleveland ever expected the Indians to be anywhere near the playoffs and I just hope that Francona continues his ways next year too.  

Now the Browns need to win tonight for this city to recover.  It really is a FB town.
avatar
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4715
Points : 10893
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 55
Location : Cleveland (Bay Village), OH/Atlanta, GA

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Indianapolis 500

Post  Nick Morris on Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:20 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:
@Nick Morris wrote:Sorry Michele...Cleveland had a good year (I know they are not your #1 team), but ended up suffering what the Brewers suffered all season...Leaving too many men on base.  Oh well, you still have the Red Sox to root for Smile
Thanks, Nick.  And the Braves too - don't forget that I have an AL and NL team in the hunt.  I would love for the Sox to play the Braves, but that would be a tough one for me to choose a winner.

I don't think anyone here in Cleveland ever expected the Indians to be anywhere near the playoffs and I just hope that Francona continues his ways next year too.  

Now the Browns need to win tonight for this city to recover.  It really is a FB town.
I am playing against the Bills Defense tonight, so I need the Browns to score a boatload of points Smile
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11778
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 36
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Indianapolis 500

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:07 am

@Nick Morris wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:
@Nick Morris wrote:Sorry Michele...Cleveland had a good year (I know they are not your #1 team), but ended up suffering what the Brewers suffered all season...Leaving too many men on base.  Oh well, you still have the Red Sox to root for Smile
Thanks, Nick.  And the Braves too - don't forget that I have an AL and NL team in the hunt.  I would love for the Sox to play the Braves, but that would be a tough one for me to choose a winner.

I don't think anyone here in Cleveland ever expected the Indians to be anywhere near the playoffs and I just hope that Francona continues his ways next year too.  

Now the Browns need to win tonight for this city to recover.  It really is a FB town.
I am playing against the Bills Defense tonight, so I need the Browns to score a boatload of points Smile
That might be a lot to ask, Nick.
avatar
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4715
Points : 10893
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 55
Location : Cleveland (Bay Village), OH/Atlanta, GA

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Indianapolis 500

Post  ounce on Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:06 pm

I would just hope for the Astros to win 40% of their games, next year, or only 97 losses.  They didn't even win a third of their games (111 losses).  It's a lot to ask.

Oh, and by the way, that's some spiffy running, young lady. Approval
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4524
Points : 12467
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Indianapolis 500

Post  Mark B on Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:08 pm

Nice work on the Yassos, Michele! That's got to be encouraging. And fun.

avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7023
Points : 15010
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 53
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Indianapolis 500

Post  Nick Morris on Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:09 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:
@Nick Morris wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:
@Nick Morris wrote:Sorry Michele...Cleveland had a good year (I know they are not your #1 team), but ended up suffering what the Brewers suffered all season...Leaving too many men on base.  Oh well, you still have the Red Sox to root for Smile
Thanks, Nick.  And the Braves too - don't forget that I have an AL and NL team in the hunt.  I would love for the Sox to play the Braves, but that would be a tough one for me to choose a winner.

I don't think anyone here in Cleveland ever expected the Indians to be anywhere near the playoffs and I just hope that Francona continues his ways next year too.  

Now the Browns need to win tonight for this city to recover.  It really is a FB town.
I am playing against the Bills Defense tonight, so I need the Browns to score a boatload of points Smile
That might be a lot to ask, Nick.
I can dream, right?
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11778
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 36
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Indianapolis 500

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:31 pm

@Nick Morris wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:
@Nick Morris wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:
@Nick Morris wrote:Sorry Michele...Cleveland had a good year (I know they are not your #1 team), but ended up suffering what the Brewers suffered all season...Leaving too many men on base.  Oh well, you still have the Red Sox to root for Smile
Thanks, Nick.  And the Braves too - don't forget that I have an AL and NL team in the hunt.  I would love for the Sox to play the Braves, but that would be a tough one for me to choose a winner.

I don't think anyone here in Cleveland ever expected the Indians to be anywhere near the playoffs and I just hope that Francona continues his ways next year too.  

Now the Browns need to win tonight for this city to recover.  It really is a FB town.
I am playing against the Bills Defense tonight, so I need the Browns to score a boatload of points Smile
That might be a lot to ask, Nick.
I can dream, right?
Hope that was enough points, Nick.  Certainly shocked me as Hoyer went down, but Weeden really needs to learn to get rid of the ball.

15 miles this morning in weather that felt a lot like summer - 65F with 94% humidity.  Weather doesn't look any better for tomorrow's half.  Glad that I'm not racing, but my legs feel tired so I hope that I can execute the plan of MP.  I guess running on tired legs is the point.  Other than the fact that I was absolutely drenched about 8 miles into the run today, I did feel pretty good.  The temps got warm as the sun came out (of course it is raining now) and it was a tough last couple until I could duck onto the trail.  I also found that the shoes I was wearing are not good on wet pavement and leaves as I good feel them squooching around as I was running.  Since it predicted to be raining in the morning, I'll pick a different pair.  I'll also lube up good.
avatar
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4715
Points : 10893
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 55
Location : Cleveland (Bay Village), OH/Atlanta, GA

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Indianapolis 500

Post  Penelope on Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:41 am

Nice job on the Yasso's and good luck tomorrow. Or I guess today, now.  Hopefully even if the weather is hot / humid, you can hit the MP pace and use it as a gage for the real thing.  It's been humid up here the past 2 days, too, with some thunderstorms.  Maybe the rain will hold off til after the race...although if it's humid it may feel good.  Good luck!

No comment on the Browns.  I'm not following any football this season, I think Smile Since the Steelers are bad, it's too depressing.
avatar
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Posts : 412
Points : 3071
Join date : 2011-06-22
Age : 36
Location : Chicago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Indianapolis 500

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:47 pm

This morning's race went off much better than I actually expected.  The weather was not exactly pleasant in that it was 69F and 98% humidity at the start, but I could tell at the halfway point, that I am pretty much back.  I started off a bit too fast which I kind of expected starting in corral 1, so I actually made a pit stop at the bottom of the hill at the start of mile 4, so that I could slow down some.  I hoped to run MP, but I settled into a pace that was about MP-15 and pretty much stayed there except for the two "uphill" miles and the last three miles.  For some crazy reason, the course designers found the only large hills on the west side of Cleveland and tossed them into the race, so my 8:28 pace became 8:34 for those two miles.  I then kicked into gear at mile 10 (top of the last big hill) and ran the last three miles in 8:09 (flat), 8:12 (uphill over the river bridge), 7:37 with a sprint to the finish. I caught my Atlanta friend at mile 12.8 and raced him into the finish.  We finished together; however, his time is 0.01 faster than mine.  I blame that on his size 15.5 shoe and my size 7.5!  He was completely spent, and well, I felt like I had done a long run.  As par for the course, I passed many of my running contemporaries on the course and surprised many of them with my finish.

I expected to feel a lot worse on tired legs, but I didn't which surprised me.  I still need to be conservative with regards to pace come November 2nd though.
avatar
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4715
Points : 10893
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 55
Location : Cleveland (Bay Village), OH/Atlanta, GA

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Indianapolis 500

Post  dot520 on Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:21 pm

You are really in awesome shape right now...definitely back!  Looking forward to meeting you in Indy.
avatar
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Posts : 780
Points : 3447
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 60
Location : Indy-sporting the cape of awesomeness

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Indianapolis 500

Post  Alex Kubacki on Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:31 am

That's a great job on tired legs.  You're ready to kick butt.

Were you able to watch any of the game on Friday & Saturday?  The place was going nuts on Saturday when Koji was closing it out.
avatar
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1252
Points : 3814
Join date : 2011-06-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Indianapolis 500

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:59 am

@dot520 wrote:You are really in awesome shape right now...definitely back!  Looking forward to meeting you in Indy.
@Alex Kubacki wrote:That's a great job on tired legs.  You're ready to kick butt.

Were you able to watch any of the game on Friday & Saturday?  The place was going nuts on Saturday when Koji was closing it out.
Thanks to both of you, and yes, I watched both games.  Awesome!!!!  I just hope that they can wrap it all up today.  As for my Braves, well, I am worried there.
avatar
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4715
Points : 10893
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 55
Location : Cleveland (Bay Village), OH/Atlanta, GA

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Indianapolis 500

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:13 am

Here are yesterday's splits:

Mile 1     8:20
Mile 2     8:26
Mile 3     8:09     (Long downhill into the Flats)
Mile 4     9:04     (Pit stop and climb out of the Flats)
Mile 5     8:23
Mile 6     8:25
Mile 7     8:28     (Over bricks - who runs you for about 1/2 mile over bricks! with leaves; also took a gel and slowed for water)
Mile 8     8:25
Mile 9     8:34     (Down short hill and then climb out of the Steelyard area)
Mile 10   8:34     (My favorite Cleveland bridge is not a flat climb, but why is the down not as steep?)
Mile 11   8:09     
Mile 12   8:12     (Caught my friend and slowed a tad to pull him along to the finish)
Mile 13   7:39
Mile 0.1  6:46

Total  1:50:57

On Saturday's 15 miler, I averaged 9 min pace, so over the two days, I am very pleased.  My left achilles was a bit sore when I got up, but it is fine now, and I good run.  However, instead, I skipped my core class and I'm getting a massage in about an hour as a reward for a good week.  One more to high mileage (for me) week to come.
avatar
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4715
Points : 10893
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 55
Location : Cleveland (Bay Village), OH/Atlanta, GA

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Indianapolis 500

Post  JohnP on Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:32 am

Those are good times/splits, Michele, you are definitely in good shape for November.
avatar
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1225
Points : 4079
Join date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Indianapolis 500

Post  Nick Morris on Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:32 am

Good work Michele!!  It looks like you really did what you planned to do this past weekend and are more than ready to kick butt!!  I wouldn't be to worried about the achilles.  It is probably some residual soreness from the workout you gave it.  Enjoy the massage!!
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11778
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 36
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Indianapolis 500

Post  Mark B on Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:41 pm

Nice job on the half, despite the evil intentions of the race organizers (random hills, bricks). You're looking well-prepared for your big race.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7023
Points : 15010
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 53
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Indianapolis 500

Post  ounce on Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:59 pm

Nifty splits, ma'am.

I remember you saying a while back that you have the ability to get in a pace and stay there.  Question.  But if that particular pace is slower than what you would like or need, do you increase to the desired pace and then can you maintain that new, faster pace?  Or do you take the available pace and just go with it?
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4524
Points : 12467
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Indianapolis 500

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:36 pm

@ounce wrote:Nifty splits, ma'am.

I remember you saying a while back that you have the ability to get in a pace and stay there.  Question.  But if that particular pace is slower than what you would like or need, do you increase to the desired pace and then can you maintain that new, faster pace?  Or do you take the available pace and just go with it?
The quick answer is that it depends.  Generally, if I end up settling into a slower pace than what I wanted, I will know why - injury, tired legs, weather - and I will try to adjust it to the faster pace if that is so desired.  I usually have the opposite problem (like yesterday or in the beginning of a marathon) where I am trying to slow down.  In the case of a run like yesterday's, I realized that I felt good, my HR was not nearly at "race" level, and I decided that it was only 13 miles and I was not going to jeopardize my efforts or the purpose of the run by staying at the faster pace.  If you look at my 3rd mile, I knew it was fast even with the hill and I adjusted by taking the needed pit stop and re-assessing the pace.  

In a marathon, I have found that I do have to work hard at maintaining a slower pace at the beginning if the course doesn't want to accommodate it, like Boston, and I will use all the tricks I know including walking through a water stop to settle in.  I find that if I'm well trained, I can usually pick it up and get to the desired pace and hold it if all is right with the world.  And sometimes, if I'm lucky, I can even run faster miles in the latter half.

Not sure if I totally answered your question, but I do believe that my body will adjust to its fitness level even when racing, and I can honestly tell where I am at with my effort level, breathing, and HR (if I am wearing my monitor like I did yesterday).
avatar
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4715
Points : 10893
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 55
Location : Cleveland (Bay Village), OH/Atlanta, GA

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Indianapolis 500

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum