365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Redemption: 2013 Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon

Page 2 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Redemption: 2013 Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon

Post  Michael Enright on Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:49 pm

And, he's off!

Nice job, Nick!

I had my daughter for a little bit of company on her bike today, so agree that's a nice change of pace.
avatar
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1521
Points : 4468
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 60
Location : Portland, CT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Redemption: 2013 Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon

Post  Nick Morris on Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:13 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:I figured that I would make it official and sign up for the Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon.  Now, with that out of the way, I can focus on running some more Smile  Oh wait...I still have to book my flight and hotel...dang it!!

I registered on Monday and thought I would check flights while I was thinking of it.  Got my flights organized...cheaper and better flights than I found a few weeks ago.  I booked my hotel earlier so I'm all set.  Smile 

Oh yea...I guess I need to train!  Training actually seems to be going well.  I'm running a 10K on the 4th and will use the results of that to help me narrow down my goal pace.

Sounds like you've been fitting some good runs into a busy schedule.

I'll have to  check flights to Buffalo again.  Maybe they have gone down, too.  I did notice that Buffalo is cheaper than Toronto.  Thanks for that suggestion!!

Good luck with the 10K

 I actually ended up booking flights into Detroit.  It's just over a 3 hour drive to Hamilton but the combined flight/drive time is the shortest option available for me.  It's a non-stop flight ( just over 4 hours) into Detroit and then a 3 hour drive which I'll split between Friday evening and Saturday morning.  Flying into Buffalo, London, or Toronto required at 7-8 hour plane trip including layovers plus an hour or more driving time.  I'm happy to drive a bit longer to avoid time in an airport and a risk of a missed connection.

That makes total sense.  The flight to Buffalo is just a little over four hours, with a short layover in Cleveland.  Some friends of mine drove it from Madison last year.  It took them about 8 hours or so.
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11897
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 36
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Redemption: 2013 Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon

Post  Nick Morris on Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:16 pm

Michael Enright wrote:And, he's off!

Nice job, Nick!

I had my daughter for a little bit of company on her bike today, so agree that's a nice change of pace.

Yeah, plus now now they can say that they helped us train Smile
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11897
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 36
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Redemption: 2013 Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon

Post  Nick Morris on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:50 pm

07.01.13 -

Cross training...Hit the gym today after work to get in some weight training.  After the gym, it was off to play softball.  Got in some good sprinting and agility work SmileLaughing


Four miles scheduled for tomorrow night.  I am also subbing on some friend's volleyball team, so a little more agility training Wink
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11897
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 36
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Redemption: 2013 Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon

Post  Mark B on Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:28 am

Yikes! Volleyball? That seems like a pretty danger way to cross-train. At least get some knee pads! Wink
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7181
Points : 15454
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 53
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Redemption: 2013 Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon

Post  dot520 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:09 am

Beach volleyball?  I agree about the knees, but there are an awful lot of face plants involved with the game. (the way I play, at least)
avatar
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Posts : 780
Points : 3566
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 60
Location : Indy-sporting the cape of awesomeness

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Redemption: 2013 Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon

Post  Nick Morris on Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:45 am

Mark B wrote:Yikes! Volleyball? That seems like a pretty danger way to cross-train. At least get some knee pads! Wink

Yes, I know it is not the safest thing to do when training, but I could get hit by a bus crossing the street, too Wink
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11897
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 36
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Redemption: 2013 Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon

Post  Chris M on Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:34 am

Nick Morris wrote:
dot520 wrote:The midwest has been fairly cooperative (so far) in the weather department this year.  What sort of temps did you run Hamilton in last time?

Last year it was 32 degrees at the start and it stayed in the 30s for most of the race.  I think the hi for the day was like 41.  The wind was pretty calm at like 7 or 8 mph.  To me it was pretty good weather for racing.  I am hoping for similar conditions this year...

 Whoa, maybe I'm running the wrong Fall races.  Those kinds of temps would be absolutely perfect for me as marathon weather.
avatar
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1061
Points : 3689
Join date : 2011-06-14
Age : 48
Location : Washington, DC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Redemption: 2013 Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon

Post  Nick Morris on Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:24 pm

Chris M wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
dot520 wrote:The midwest has been fairly cooperative (so far) in the weather department this year.  What sort of temps did you run Hamilton in last time?

Last year it was 32 degrees at the start and it stayed in the 30s for most of the race.  I think the hi for the day was like 41.  The wind was pretty calm at like 7 or 8 mph.  To me it was pretty good weather for racing.  I am hoping for similar conditions this year...

 Whoa, maybe I'm running the wrong Fall races.  Those kinds of temps would be absolutely perfect for me as marathon weather.

 Ha...Yes, it was a much needed relief after the previous two years of 87 and 77 degrees on race day.
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11897
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 36
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Redemption: 2013 Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon

Post  Michael Enright on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:33 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
Mark B wrote:Yikes! Volleyball? That seems like a pretty danger way to cross-train. At least get some knee pads! Wink

Yes, I know it is not the safest thing to do when training, but I could get hit by a bus crossing the street, too Wink

Nick - have you seen Hal's "tip of the day" today on Facebook?

He says people get injured because they make training errors. They run too long...They fail to get enough rest...They play a pickup volleyball game the day after a long run.

!!

He doesn't mention getting run over by a bus, fortunately.
avatar
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1521
Points : 4468
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 60
Location : Portland, CT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Redemption: 2013 Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon

Post  Nick Morris on Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:56 pm

Michael Enright wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
Mark B wrote:Yikes! Volleyball? That seems like a pretty danger way to cross-train. At least get some knee pads! Wink

Yes, I know it is not the safest thing to do when training, but I could get hit by a bus crossing the street, too Wink

Nick - have you seen Hal's "tip of the day" today on Facebook?

He says people get injured because they make training errors. They run too long...They fail to get enough rest...They play a pickup volleyball game the day after a long run.

!!

He doesn't mention getting run over by a bus, fortunately.

Ha, that is kinda funny...but this a coordinated game, not a pickup game Smile
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11897
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 36
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Redemption: 2013 Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon

Post  Nick Morris on Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:59 pm

07.02.13 -

4 miles...Nice and easy 4 miles today after work.  It is only the start of Week 2, but I already seemed to be falling into the training rhythm.  Took it nice and easy and just went about my business of putting I work.  I completed 4.21 miles at a 7:44 pace.  Now I am off to sub on my friend's volleyball team.  Then after that, it is the first fireworks of the Fourth of July week.
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11897
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 36
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Redemption: 2013 Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon

Post  Nick Morris on Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:24 pm

FYI...I made it through the volleyball games unscathed (we won Smile) and the fireworks were pretty good, too!!

avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11897
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 36
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Redemption: 2013 Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon

Post  Michael Enright on Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:23 am

Phew. At first I thought that was a picture of your knee exploding during the volleyball game!
Very Happy 
avatar
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1521
Points : 4468
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 60
Location : Portland, CT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Redemption: 2013 Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon

Post  Nick Morris on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:19 am

Michael Enright wrote:Phew. At first I thought that was a picture of your knee exploding during the volleyball game!
Very Happy 

That would be frightening!!
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11897
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 36
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Redemption: 2013 Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon

Post  Nick Morris on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:15 pm

Chris M wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
dot520 wrote:The midwest has been fairly cooperative (so far) in the weather department this year.  What sort of temps did you run Hamilton in last time?

Last year it was 32 degrees at the start and it stayed in the 30s for most of the race.  I think the hi for the day was like 41.  The wind was pretty calm at like 7 or 8 mph.  To me it was pretty good weather for racing.  I am hoping for similar conditions this year...

 Whoa, maybe I'm running the wrong Fall races.  Those kinds of temps would be absolutely perfect for me as marathon weather.

It is a fast course.  I think that you would enjoy it Smile
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11897
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 36
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Redemption: 2013 Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon

Post  Nick Morris on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:18 pm

07.03.13 -

6 miles... Cool and overcast with a few sprinkles for my run this evening.  The cooler air felt good and was a nice change.  My legs seemed a little heavy for the first mile, but after that they loosened up well and I just put it in cruise control.  I got in a good 6.33 miles tonight at a 7:46 pace. Halfway through week #2...
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11897
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 36
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Redemption: 2013 Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon

Post  Mark B on Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:35 pm

Nick Morris wrote:07.03.13 -

6 miles... Cool and overcast with a few sprinkles for my run this evening.  The cooler air felt good and was a nice change.  My legs seemed a little heavy for the first mile, but after that they loosened up well and I just put it in cruise control.  I got in a good 6.33 miles tonight at a 7:46 pace. Halfway through week #2...

Nice work!

I hear you on the benefit of cooler marathons. My best race by far started off with frost on the ground in the hills east of Sacramento. It might not have been as great for the spectators, but for the runners? Awesome.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7181
Points : 15454
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 53
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Redemption: 2013 Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon

Post  Nick Morris on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:42 am

Mark B wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:07.03.13 -

6 miles... Cool and overcast with a few sprinkles for my run this evening.  The cooler air felt good and was a nice change.  My legs seemed a little heavy for the first mile, but after that they loosened up well and I just put it in cruise control.  I got in a good 6.33 miles tonight at a 7:46 pace. Halfway through week #2...

Nice work!

I hear you on the benefit of cooler marathons. My best race by far started off with frost on the ground in the hills east of Sacramento. It might not have been as great for the spectators, but for the runners? Awesome.

CIM??
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11897
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 36
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Redemption: 2013 Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon

Post  Nick Morris on Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:43 am

07.04.13 -

4 miles...So, the cool front definitely passed last night, as this morning it was already a warm one.  I got in a Fourth of July 4 miles.  4.23 miles to be exact at an easy 7:46 pace...

Happy Fourth of July everyone!!!
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11897
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 36
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Redemption: 2013 Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon

Post  Nick Morris on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:24 am

07.05.13 -

Scheduled off day...And on the 5th day of Week 2, he rested.  A scheduled off day for me today, before hitting up a 22 mile weekend.  I also took the day off from work to enjoy a full four day weekend.  Going to hit the links to see if I can continue to get better at this game called golf.  Enjoy the day!!
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11897
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 36
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Redemption: 2013 Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon

Post  Nick Morris on Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:31 pm

Beautiful day for golf.  Sunny and temps in the low 70s moving into the 80s by the time we finished.  I had a pretty rough front 9 holes, but turned it around with my best 9 holes on the back nine.  Just a great off day!!
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11897
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 36
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Redemption: 2013 Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon

Post  Nick Morris on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:00 pm

Flight is officially booked for November!!  Hotel(s) and car still to come...Oh...and training lol!
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11897
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 36
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Redemption: 2013 Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon

Post  nkrichards on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:59 am

Nick Morris wrote:Flight is officially booked for November!!  Hotel(s) and car still to come...Oh...and training lol!

 Where did you end up flying to?
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1935
Points : 6719
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Redemption: 2013 Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon

Post  Nick Morris on Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:47 am

nkrichards wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:Flight is officially booked for November!!  Hotel(s) and car still to come...Oh...and training lol!

 Where did you end up flying to?

Buffalo...It was $200 cheaper than Toronto and $500 cheaper than Hamilton.  It is only about a 15-20 minute longer drive from Buffalo than to drive from Toronto.  Plus, I figured that we could stay next to the airport in Buffalo the night before we leave.  That way I don't have to worry about the slow ass Toronto traffic...
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11897
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 36
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Redemption: 2013 Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum