365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

New York State of Mind

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: New York State of Mind

Post  dot520 on Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:36 pm

How did Milwaukee go?  Which pace did you pace?
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:23 pm

It went about as well as it could have.  I led the 3:45 group with a goal of bringing the group in at 3:44:30 and I crossed the line at 3:44:25.  It was a great weather day, although it probably got a bit warm for those out the beyond 3.5 hours running all out.  If anybody is looking for a small, well run race, I highly recommend the Lakefront Marathon.  It was well run, well staffed, and a great course, even if it is a bit narrow in some sections.  You even get a nice little down hill boost in the last 3 miles and it's a really pretty run too.

This was an ideal last really long run for me.  Just a tad slower than my normal long run pace lately, but I was fine with that due to the extended distance.  I'll do some shorter stuff during the week this week and maybe 14-15 this weekend before a final long run of 16 or so 2 weeks out from NYC.  Things are shaping up nicely.  Now, if I could just shed a few more pounds in the next 4 weeks, I'd be a really happy camper.
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:59 pm

Interesting statistics in terms of how many people dropped between the start and the 7 mile mark.  I also really like the passed/passed by stat as well.

LocationRace TimeTime of DayPace BetweenOverall PlaceDivision PlaceSex PlaceAge Graded PlacePassed / By
Time3:44:2511:15:108:34550/215852/153402/1139987/2158109/7
Mile 202:51:1810:22:038:35660/216865/153485/11481132/216882/11
Half1:52:109:22:558:34739/220670/155533/11631243/220648/20
Mile 759:55:008:30:408:34800/222074/155559/11661283/2220940/271
ChipStart0:267:30:45 1417/3143118/225857/1645857/3143 
GunStart0:007:30:20      
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:27 am

You couldn't have paced that any better.  Great job. How many in the group?
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:22 am

Good work, Jim!  I'm glad it wasn't as warm and humid as it still was here yesterday.  Of course, it will only be 57F today after 80 yesterday Wink
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP on Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:25 am

Now that's what all pacers should be doing!
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:35 am

JohnP wrote:Now that's what all pacers should be doing!
+1...Now get faster, so you can pace me Smile

Good work!!  I think you'll be extremely satisfied with your NYC race.
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:42 pm

Boy, I wish all pacers were as on-target as you, Jim. Nice work!
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:10 pm

Mark B wrote:Boy, I wish all pacers were as on-target as you, Jim. Nice work!
Well, the crew I worked with this weekend was pretty impressive.  Our goal is to be within 30 seconds plus or minus our goal time (i.e. my goal time was 3:44:30, so 3:44:00-3:45:00 is acceptable).  Of the 17 pacers who started, 14 hit their mark, one was 45 seconds off, one was 57 seconds off, and the last one took a DNF due to stepping in a pothole at about mile 25 and having to step off the course due to injury.  He was also right on pace.  The other 2 who missed were first time pacers.  The guy who runs the group (marathonpacing.com) has a pretty impressive record of producing results from the groups he sends out there.
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:20 pm

Jim only "hires" the best, right Jim???????/
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:53 pm

Alex Kubacki wrote:You couldn't have paced that any better.  Great job. How many in the group?
 Thanks Alex.  I think we started with about 15 or so and I pushed 4-5 of them ahead of me in the last few miles and fiished pretty much by myself.

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Good work, Jim!  I'm glad it wasn't as warm and humid as it still was here yesterday.  Of course, it will only be 57F today after 80 yesterday Wink
Thanks Michele.  It was a little muggy at the start but cool enough it didn't matter.  It got a little warm in the last 5 miles when it was sunny, but a really good day for a PR nonetheless.

No doubt, it's unfortunate not all pacing groups are as reliable as this one was.  I'm still amazed at how dead on everybody was.

Nick Morris wrote:
+1...Now get faster, so you can pace me Smile

Good work!!  I think you'll be extremely satisfied with your NYC race.
Here's hoping!

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Jim only "hires" the best, right Jim???????/
He does a good job of weeding out the not so great pacers even before they do any races for him.  But, yes, he does get nothing but the best! Wink
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:25 am

The last time I fell in with a pace group at the start of the race, I fell out at about mile 15 (big hill in Vermont City Marathon at that point) intentionally, as my strategy was to take the hill slow. I never recovered from the hill, but I did pass one of the two pace leaders at about mile 22, I think, and he was walking. Said he just flamed out. It's a tough job being a pacer, so all the more important that you execute well - nice job!
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:18 pm

Michael Enright wrote:The last time I fell in with a pace group at the start of the race, I fell out at about mile 15 (big hill in Vermont City Marathon at that point) intentionally, as my strategy was to take the hill slow. I never recovered from the hill, but I did pass one of the two pace leaders at about mile 22, I think, and he was walking. Said he just flamed out. It's a tough job being a pacer, so all the more important that you execute well - nice job!
Yeah, it happens.  Our guy has us step off the course and destroy the pacing sign if we have a problem so there's no confusing what's going on out there.  He's got a pretty good system in place.
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:26 pm

Well, I had to back off quite a bit more than I had planned last week after the marathon pacing gig.  I was pretty sore/tight/fatigued even on Wednesday when I did a very easy 4 miler.  I decided to take Thursday off and then Friday had life get in the way and by the time I got up to the Y to run, it was 8:40 and they closed at 9:00. 

Oh well, it may have been a wise choice to take the day off anyway, because I was really sluggish and dead legged on my 7 miler on Saturday.  Not sure if it was still residual fatigue or the humidity, but I was glad to be done when I finished.  Fortunately, Sunday's run was the polar opposite.  14 miles and I clipped them off at a pretty good pace.  I ended up averaging 8:25 for the whole thing and that felt about right. 

The plan is to get in another 50+ mile week this week with probably 16 as a long run this weekend and then do a 2 week taper.  I think that should be enough and will get me another week of decent mileage even if I don't get in another 20 miler.  I'm hoping the 3 runs of 20+ and a multitude of 14+ runs does the job.
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:45 am

It's been a great week of running so far.  It feels like my legs are back to 100% after the pacing job. 

I did 6 easy miles on Tuesday and then 8 with 8 x 800 at 3:14 on Wednesday night.  The first 2 or 3 were a little rough, but then my legs apparently remembered how to run fast again and the rest of them went really well.  I was a little surprised this went as well as it did since I haven't done any fast running to speak of in several weeks, let alone interval speed running.

Last night I did my last real mid week long run and knocked out 12 at a little quicker than expected 8:15 pace.  I'm pleasantly surprised at how good I feel, but I suppose after a training cycle of building up mileage and then dropping down to a 25 mile week, the legs tend to get a little bounce back in them.

The plan for the rest of the week is an easy 6 miles tonight and Sunday and 16 miles with 12-14 at MP on Saturday.  That will put me at 54 for the week and leave me with a 2 week taper before NYC.  All systems seem to be go at this point.
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope on Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:58 pm

Belated congrats on great pacing.  Glad to hear your legs are bouncing back and feeling good / ready! Good luck at NYC!
Penelope
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:45 pm

Are you ready!?!?!?!
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:24 pm

Good luck on Sunday.  Don't forget that the clocks change on Saturday night/Sunday morning.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards on Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:14 pm

Good luck...it's going to be a busy weekend for 365ers.
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:46 pm

Nick Morris wrote:Are you ready!?!?!?!
As ready as I'm gonna be!  Did some miles at MP tonight and just a couple easy runs left.

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Good luck on Sunday.  Don't forget that the clocks change on Saturday night/Sunday morning.
Thanks!  Yeah, fortunately they're rolling back instead of forward so I get the extra hour of sleep (sorta).

nkrichards wrote:Good luck...it's going to be a busy weekend for 365ers.
Thanks!  It certainly will.  Had I not been selected for NYC, I'd be in Indy this weekend with everybody else.
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:05 pm

What is your goal again?  3:15?? 3:20??
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:48 am

If it was a flat course I'd probably shoot for 3:20, but I'm thinking more like 3:25 since the course is as tough as it is.
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:13 pm

This is cool, Jim: http://www.runnersworld.com/new-york-city-marathon/new-york-city-marathon-paints-tribute-to-boston?cm_mmc=Facebook-_-RunnersWorld-_-Content-News-_-YellowLineNYCM

Also, the course is faster than you think.  Make sure you take it easy on the Verrazano Bridge, and if you are on the bottom, stay in the middle not on either side.  Do not panic if the mile along that bridge is very slow - in fact, rejoice if it is.  The Queensboro Bridge (around mile 15) is a mile+ long and a pretty good incline.  Make sure you take it with a steady effort.  You will be surprised how many people walk this portion of the course and are defeated by it.  After the incline, there is a nice downhill (off ramp) that winds, be careful not to lose it as it is steep.  

This off ramp downhill leads you onto 1st Ave.  This has got to be one of the most rewarding sections on the course as the 3 mile stretch seems to have more spectators than you can imagine and it is loud, loud, loud.  DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT get carried away.  This is where I overdid it with 3 fast miles back in 2011, and I paid for it when I hit the park at mile 23.  Try your best to rein it in and keep it loose.

When you hit the park at mile 23ish, you are not done and the hills are not finished.  This last 3 mile section rolls quite a bit and it quite intense with the sheer number of runners and spectators.  You will be a bit in front of where I was in 2011 (I ran 3:46) and it was overwhelming.  This is also where you can actually make up time if you have not overdone it on 1st Ave.  Once you hit the corner at Columbus Circle and see the jumbotron, it is almost over.  Hang in there over the last half mile and let it rip.

Good luck!  I kind of wish I had taken them up on the 2013 entry.  Go get 'em, Jim!
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:20 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:This is cool, Jim: http://www.runnersworld.com/new-york-city-marathon/new-york-city-marathon-paints-tribute-to-boston?cm_mmc=Facebook-_-RunnersWorld-_-Content-News-_-YellowLineNYCM

Also, the course is faster than you think.  Make sure you take it easy on the Verrazano Bridge, and if you are on the bottom, stay in the middle not on either side.  Do not panic if the mile along that bridge is very slow - in fact, rejoice if it is.  The Queensboro Bridge (around mile 15) is a mile+ long and a pretty good incline.  Make sure you take it with a steady effort.  You will be surprised how many people walk this portion of the course and are defeated by it.  After the incline, there is a nice downhill (off ramp) that winds, be careful not to lose it as it is steep.  

This off ramp downhill leads you onto 1st Ave.  This has got to be one of the most rewarding sections on the course as the 3 mile stretch seems to have more spectators than you can imagine and it is loud, loud, loud.  DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT get carried away.  This is where I overdid it with 3 fast miles back in 2011, and I paid for it when I hit the park at mile 23.  Try your best to rein it in and keep it loose.

When you hit the park at mile 23ish, you are not done and the hills are not finished.  This last 3 mile section rolls quite a bit and it quite intense with the sheer number of runners and spectators.  You will be a bit in front of where I was in 2011 (I ran 3:46) and it was overwhelming.  This is also where you can actually make up time if you have not overdone it on 1st Ave.  Once you hit the corner at Columbus Circle and see the jumbotron, it is almost over.  Hang in there over the last half mile and let it rip.

Good luck!  I kind of wish I had taken them up on the 2013 entry.  Go get 'em, Jim!
Dammit Michele!!  Now you are making me want to run NYC Smile
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:50 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:This is cool, Jim: http://www.runnersworld.com/new-york-city-marathon/new-york-city-marathon-paints-tribute-to-boston?cm_mmc=Facebook-_-RunnersWorld-_-Content-News-_-YellowLineNYCM

Thanks Michele!  That's really helpful.  I think I'll print that out and read it about 1,000 times before race day!
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top