365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

New York State of Mind

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: New York State of Mind

Post  mul21 on Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:04 pm

This sport is just stupid sometimes.  I struggle to get in 13 miles over the weekend due to the weather, barely getting down to 8:30 pace for a large portion of the run.  Tonight I go out and get in 12 miles, progressively getting quicker as the run went on and average a little under 8:20 pace for 12.  I guess at least I know the problems were definitely weather related and not fitness related, so that's a plus.
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:18 pm

mul21 wrote:This sport is just stupid sometimes.  I struggle to get in 13 miles over the weekend due to the weather, barely getting down to 8:30 pace for a large portion of the run.  Tonight I go out and get in 12 miles, progressively getting quicker as the run went on and average a little under 8:20 pace for 12.  I guess at least I know the problems were definitely weather related and not fitness related, so that's a plus.
I could have told you that Smile
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:48 pm

Off day yesterday and got to help with kindergarten homework.  The letter H, specifically.  I wish my homework was that easy!

Tonight was a scheduled tempo run.  Last week I did a 2 x 3 mile and the plan tonight was to do all 6 miles consecutively with no rest interval.  I nailed it!  Started at 7:30 then increased the speed by 0.1 every mile to 7:24, 7:19, 7:13, 7:08, and 7:03.  My HR stayed right where it was supposed to be and I just ticked over the 85% mark in the last mile, which I'm perfectly fine with.  10 miles total and I'm at 28 for the week.
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:43 am

mul21 wrote:Off day yesterday and got to help with kindergarten homework.  The letter H, specifically.  I wish my homework was that easy!

Tonight was a scheduled tempo run.  Last week I did a 2 x 3 mile and the plan tonight was to do all 6 miles consecutively with no rest interval.  I nailed it!  Started at 7:30 then increased the speed by 0.1 every mile to 7:24, 7:19, 7:13, 7:08, and 7:03.  My HR stayed right where it was supposed to be and I just ticked over the 85% mark in the last mile, which I'm perfectly fine with.  10 miles total and I'm at 28 for the week.
Good work!!! Way to nail the tempo run...and the homework Smile!!!
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M on Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:53 am

Wow, that was a great tempo run!
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:41 am

Nice tempo run! That your HR behaved as you kept pressing harder is a great sign.

BTW, good work on the homework, too. I think I remember getting distracted whenever it hit "C is for cookie." Wink
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:59 pm

Nick Morris wrote:Good work!!! Way to nail the tempo run...and the homework Smile!!!
Chris M wrote:Wow, that was a great tempo run!
Mark B wrote:Nice tempo run! That your HR behaved as you kept pressing harder is a great sign.

BTW, good work on the homework, too. I think I remember getting distracted whenever it hit "C is for cookie." Wink
Thanks guys!  For whatever reason, a good tempo run makes me feel really good about my fitness.
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:10 pm

I didn't have a blog at the time and I'm not friends with everybody here on Facebook, so it probably didn't make it here when I caught the baby possum in my house sometime around Memorial Day.  It was quite the interesting ordeal that started at 10:00 on a Saturday night, hit pause around midnight, then was resolved between 3:00-3:30 am that morning when I finally caught the little bugger after he wandered into the bedroom.  It was awesome.

Last weekend, I had decided to take advantage of the DirecTV free NFL Sunday Ticket package and was getting it installed when the installation guy noticed some odd things in the drop ceiling, i.e. scat and some insulation displaced along with the dryer vent hose being disconnected.  I left the ceiling tiles off until I could go get some supplies to fix it and heard some strange noises that night and the next night in the basement, so I called Critter Control on Monday and they came out Tuesday.  Long story short, we think there's a possum in the basement who is getting in through a hole in the bottom of the chimney, which I couldn't see because it hidden by the deck.  Awesome.  Traps were set and we caught a bunny the first night, who was none to pleased to be in a cage for 12+ hours. Wednesday night, more rattling around and BAM!, possum caught.  He was a beady eyed little (well, not so little) beast.  He was removed yesterday and the traps will stay for another day or so, then they'll put a sheet metal patch on the bottom of the fireplace to prevent them from getting back in. 

Stupid wild animals invading my house!
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:20 pm

mul21 wrote:I didn't have a blog at the time and I'm not friends with everybody here on Facebook, so it probably didn't make it here when I caught the baby possum in my house sometime around Memorial Day.  It was quite the interesting ordeal that started at 10:00 on a Saturday night, hit pause around midnight, then was resolved between 3:00-3:30 am that morning when I finally caught the little bugger after he wandered into the bedroom.  It was awesome.

Last weekend, I had decided to take advantage of the DirecTV free NFL Sunday Ticket package and was getting it installed when the installation guy noticed some odd things in the drop ceiling, i.e. scat and some insulation displaced along with the dryer vent hose being disconnected.  I left the ceiling tiles off until I could go get some supplies to fix it and heard some strange noises that night and the next night in the basement, so I called Critter Control on Monday and they came out Tuesday.  Long story short, we think there's a possum in the basement who is getting in through a hole in the bottom of the chimney, which I couldn't see because it hidden by the deck.  Awesome.  Traps were set and we caught a bunny the first night, who was none to pleased to be in a cage for 12+ hours. Wednesday night, more rattling around and BAM!, possum caught.  He was a beady eyed little (well, not so little) beast.  He was removed yesterday and the traps will stay for another day or so, then they'll put a sheet metal patch on the bottom of the fireplace to prevent them from getting back in. 

Stupid wild animals invading my house!
Man, those things are ugly.  Glad you finally found out where they were getting in and are getting it fixed so that they will not get in again.

Wouldn't that be nice to wake up with one of those ugly things lying next to you in bed Smile
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:09 am

Now that's what I'm talkin' about!  Today was the first long run of the year where I really felt relaxed and in control the whole way and I crushed it.  The mid week results I've been seeing the last several weeks finally showed up today to the tune of 20.4 miles at an average pace of 8:12.  Even better, the first half averaged 8:17 and the second half was 8:08.  It's amazing what decent weather will do for you.  Depending on how I feel tomorrow, I'll di between 6 and 10 miles, but either way I'll hit my first 50 mile week of the year.
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:43 am

mul21 wrote:Now that's what I'm talkin' about!  Today was the first long run of the year where I really felt relaxed and in control the whole way and I crushed it.  The mid week results I've been seeing the last several weeks finally showed up today to the tune of 20.4 miles at an average pace of 8:12.  Even better, the first half averaged 8:17 and the second half was 8:08.  It's amazing what decent weather will do for you.  Depending on how I feel tomorrow, I'll di between 6 and 10 miles, but either way I'll hit my first 50 mile week of the year.
Good work Jim...Way to crush the mid week runs and crush the 20 miler this morning!!!  It feels good when everything comes together Smile
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:32 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
mul21 wrote:Now that's what I'm talkin' about!  Today was the first long run of the year where I really felt relaxed and in control the whole way and I crushed it.  The mid week results I've been seeing the last several weeks finally showed up today to the tune of 20.4 miles at an average pace of 8:12.  Even better, the first half averaged 8:17 and the second half was 8:08.  It's amazing what decent weather will do for you.  Depending on how I feel tomorrow, I'll di between 6 and 10 miles, but either way I'll hit my first 50 mile week of the year.
Good work Jim...Way to crush the mid week runs and crush the 20 miler this morning!!!  It feels good when everything comes together Smile
Ditto!!!  And yes, what a difference weather can make!
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright on Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:42 pm

Awesome. You've got it goin' on.
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:51 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
Ditto!!!  And yes, what a difference weather can make!
Ya-hoo! Isn't it great when all the pieces fall into place? It means those long, miserable slogs of mid-summer were doing exactly what they were supposed to. Congrats.
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:30 am

Nick Morris wrote:Good work Jim...Way to crush the mid week runs and crush the 20 miler this morning!!!  It feels good when everything comes together Smile
Thanks Nick, you had a pretty solid week yourself!

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Ditto!!!  And yes, what a difference weather can make!
Man, you aren't kidding.  And I really feel like the humidity is affecting more than ever before this year.  I must be getting old r something!

Michael Enright wrote:Awesome. You've got it goin' on.
Thanks! Although based on how my legs still feel this morning, I may have gotten a bit carried away with the pace on the long run.

Mark B wrote:Ya-hoo! Isn't it great when all the pieces fall into place? It means those long, miserable slogs of mid-summer were doing exactly what they were supposed to. Congrats.
Yeah, that run definitely provided a little validation for the crappy long run attempts the past few weeks. A bagged 18 and 20 on consecutive weekends had me wondering what was going on.

Just an easy 6 miler yesterday to get the legs moving a bit.  As I said above, my legs are still a little sore/tight this morning, so I may have been a bit aggressive on the long run pace on Saturday.  I probably need to keep it around 8:20 pace or so instead of dropping into the 8:15 and faster range, especially in the second half of a run.

I think the plan for the last 8 weeks will be to alternate 14-15 mile long runs with 20s for the next 6 weeks and then do a 2 week taper.  That should get me to the level of endurance I need to be comfortable picking a somewhat aggressive goal pace for NYC, which based on the way things are shaping up would be 3:20 for a flat marathon and will probably be 3:25 for NYC because of the hills.  The mymarathonpace.com site provides some really good details on pacing and spectating, so I'll definitely be buying the pace guide from them for November.
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:46 pm

I think that sounds like a pretty good plan for the rest of the cycle.  Although I bet you can pick up the back half of at least the last 20 that you do, as you will have a couple under your belt.  I also think that you could go sub 3:20:00.  The weather in November should be a little better than your last couple of fall races in October.
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:13 pm

Nick Morris wrote:I think that sounds like a pretty good plan for the rest of the cycle.  Although I bet you can pick up the back half of at least the last 20 that you do, as you will have a couple under your belt.  I also think that you could go sub 3:20:00.  The weather in November should be a little better than your last couple of fall races in October.
Eh, sub 3:20 would be a really big stretch.  That's about equivalent to a 3:15 in a flat marathon and I don't think I have the time to get in that kind of shape (either in weeks before the race or time in the day to do enough running!).  NYC really is a much slower marathon than many others because of all the turns and up and downs you have to negotiate.  I think Michele would probably back that up based on her experiences there.  That's why you always see the winner at like 2:09 instead of the 2:04-05 you typically see in Chicago, London, or Berlin.
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:18 pm

Monday was an off day after the big week last week and it was much needed.  Tuesday I had planned to do a tempo run, but the legs just weren't quite back to 100%, so I opted for the Chris McKee special of 7 miles in an hour on the treadmill.

Tonight I did do a tempo run, but because of the heat and humidity in the workout room at my hotel, I cut it short because I was working harder than I should have been at the paces I was running.  Not the workout I was planning, but being a bit of a step back week, I still got in some up tempo miles and didn't work too hard.  The total was 8 miles with 4 @ tempo of 7:30, 7:24, 7:24, 7:19 and a 2 mile warm up and cool down.

I'm hoping it cools off down here a bit because I'm planning on heading to the trails near my hotel tomorrow night to get in 12 miles, so a little relief would be great.
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:27 pm

I think NY is a pretty tough course more for the fact that the first 8-9 miles are more crowded (feeling) than even Chicago, and then you have a pretty tough hill (Queensboro Bridge) at mile 15.  I also think the last 5 are tougher than expected as 5th Ave is actually uphill and then the miles roll in the park.  I've always been conservative there and the last time I missed my mark by about 1 min due to the crowding I think more than anything else.  I do love the race though.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:59 pm

Not exactly the way I planned the week to go, but I got in the miles I wanted to with a little change of plans in there.

I had planned to do a 12 miler on Thursday after the tempo run Wednesday, but between getting stuck later than expected at work, the place I go to run in Memphis closing earlier than I thought it would, and the oppressive humidity, that got cut short to a sweat soaked, hard to breathe 7 miles where I averaged 8:48 pace with a 156 average HR.  Way out of the norm for me on that and a much higher HR than I should have at that pace.

Friday I just did a very easy 5 miles just to get something in because with the altered schedule because of the shortened run Thursday, I now planned on 10 Saturday and 14 on Sunday.

Saturday I got in the planned 10 and really had to hold back so I'd have some gas in the legs for Sunday's longer run.  I averaged 8:20 pace for the run and it would have been lower than that had I not consciously held back, especially in the 2nd half once I got warmed up.

I got out the door around 10:15 this morning and it got a little warmer than expected a little quicker than expected, so I bailed on the idea of a fast finish once I got to that point (10 miles in).  I hovered between 8:25 and 8:30 pace for most of this run, dropping down to a bit faster than that the last few miles, but nothing drastically faster.

Over all, a pretty solid week for me all considered and I got in back to back 50 mile weeks for the first time in quite a while.  I am starting to feel a little banged up, so I'll need to get in for a massage at some point this week.  Those seem to have a very positive effect on the way I feel, so I'll continue getting them during marathon training and maybe even when I'm not marathon training because they generally seem to keep me feeling a bit less beat up for several weeks at a time.  Assuming the massage fixes me up, I think the plan will be to shoot for somewhere between 55-60 miles next week with another 20 miler in the mix.
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:36 pm

Well, that was an unexpected pleasant surprise of a run.  I was still feeling a little..........off, I guess is the best way to describe it.  Not sore, not really fatigued, just not quite exactly tight.  Once I got on the mill, I did loosen up pretty quickly and while the first mile was more of an effort than it should have been as usual, something clicked about 2.5 miles into the tempo part of the run and I knocked out the planned 6 miles at tempo with no problem.  The last 3 miles were the fastest and, strangely enough, felt the easiest.  I did the same progression as a couple weeks ago going from 7:30 down to 7:30 and speeding up 0.1 each mile.

I think the odd feeling may have been a result of the back to back longish runs over the weekend and the massage I got yesterday.  I feel much looser in the normal problem areas, so the massages are definitely doing the job.  It seems like about every three weeks I need to get back in for another treatment and I feel really good for a few weeks again.
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope on Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:44 pm

Nice job on the 20 miler and the tempo run tonight.  I know what you mean when sometimes faster paces feel better.  I think it's endorphins.  Even though tempo runs are hard, they're some of my happiest running moments.  And great job staying in control on the long run. 
I'm a big believer in massages.  I get one about 1x / month.  It's amazing how they can just pinpoint the problems and get rid of them.

I just read your whole blog and have a bunch of non-running comments.
1) Milwaukee has an Irish fest?  Didn't know that, and it's a train-ride away here.  Remind myself to google that and get it on my calendar.  50% Irish....
2) If you like Irish stuff, you should come to Chicago for St Patrick's day / weekend if you've never done it.  In addition to dying the river bright green, it's a pretty fun time.  Usually cold, though.
3) Peaquods is alright.  The thin crust is better than the deep dish there.
4) Lou's is my favorite, too.  Can't beat it...
5) Kudos for getting out of jury duty!  I hear it's a real skill to do so.  I got summoned for Georgia after moving to Chicago so got to say thanks but no thanks to that one, but otherwise haven't been called for IL....knock on wood.
Penelope
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:32 pm

Another solid 20 miler in the books!

I took Wednesday off, sort of unplanned, but just ran out of hours in the day.  Thursday was a planned 12 miles and it was brutally humid here, but I think that was fortunately the last of it for the year.  I hit the treadmill at the Y and watched a couple episodes of Breaking Bad while I ran and knocked out the 12 at around 8:30 pace.

Friday was an easy 5 miles and I discovered that the Skechers I have are absolutely not something I should be wearing.  A really easy 5 miles left my quads sore this morning when I got up and made the 20 miles I had planned a bit more difficult than anticipated.

20 miles this morning.  I met a buddy partway through his run and did the first 5 with him, then I was on my own for the last 15.  I averaged 8:15 pace with pretty even splits throughout.  Two more 20 milers to go, one of which will be pacing the Lakefront Marathon in Milwaukee in two weeks.  If the body continues to hold up (fingers crossed), I really feel like I'm hitting my stride fitness wise.  It's nice when a 20 miler doesn't feel like you had to struggle through the last few miles of it to get through it.
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:36 pm

I've had a solid if unspectacular week thus far.  Monday off, then 8 pretty easy Tuesday, followed by a recovery paced 5 miles on Wednesday.

Last night I was planning on incorporating a tempo run into a 12 miler, but didn't quite pull it off as planned.  I ended up doing 3 miles as a warm up, 4 miles at tempo from 7:24 down to 7:08, then cooled down with 5 more miles to get to 12.  I'm definitely feeling more beat up by the 20 milers than anything else, which tells me I've probably pushed the pace a bit more than I should have.  I'm guaranteed to go no faster than 8:30 pace in Milwaukee next weekend since I'm leading a pace group there, so that should definitely help.
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope on Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:48 am

Solid unspectactular weeks are still good ones!
Good luck in Milwaukee leading the pace group!
Penelope
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top