365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Friday Thread for July 26

+11
KBFitz
fostever
dot520
Michele "1L" Keane
Jerry
Mike MacLellan
Chris M
mul21
Michael Enright
Nick Morris
Mark B
15 posters

Go down

Friday Thread for July 26 Empty Friday Thread for July 26

Post  Mark B Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:37 pm

We haven't done a Friday thread in a while, and I seem to have gotten drafted into putting one together.

If you notice any similarities to experiences I may have had lately, it's purely coincidental. Honest!

Okay, here goes. Answer with as much detail as you're comfortable sharing:

Ultras
-Ever done one? How'd it go?
-Haven't run one but thought about it?  What'd you decide: maybe later, or when hell freezes over? Explain.

Trails
-Do you get the chance to run on dirt? How often?
-What's the best option nearest to where you live?

Gear
-Do you have special shoes for roads vs. trails?
-Ever tried toe socks? Like em? Or do they just look funny?

Hydration
-What do you carry your fluids in?
-Calories from drink, or not? Why or why not?

Fueling
-Gels, chews, sport beans or something else?
-What distance do you start fueling, for training? Racing?

Puking
-Ever do it during/after a race?
-Ever really, really, really want to do it but couldn't?

Blistering
-Where do you blister? And when?

Chafing
-How lubed up do you have to get? Where? BodyGlide, Vaseline or something else?

Bugs
-Ever been stung on a run? Sucked on by mosquitoes? Swarmed by cicadas? Share your most memorable bug story.

Sunscreen
-Yes, we know we need it. But do you use it as often as you should? Why or why not?

And, last but not least...

Ahhh! Splat!
-Ever tripped? Beefed it? Swan dived? Share your experience!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Friday Thread for July 26 Empty Re: Friday Thread for July 26

Post  Nick Morris Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:36 am

Yay!!  Good work Mark!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:03 am

Ultras
-Haven't run one but thought about it?  What'd you decide: maybe later, or when hell freezes over? Explain.

- Haven't run one and don't have the urge to run one.  I think that the marathon is a tough enough beast by itself.  Also, I have not yet obtained my goal of qualifying for and running the Boston Marathon.

Trails

- I don't run on dirt a lot, but I do get the chance when I visit my parents.  They have a crushed limestone bike trail that runs near their house.  There are some option near my house, but I normally stick to the asphalt.

Gear

- Since the trails that I run on consist of crushed limestone, I really do not have a special shoe for trail running.  I do have racing flats for my road races.   As far as toe socks, I have never tried them.

Hydration

- I have a 24 oz Camelback podium water bottle that I use to carry my fluids in.  The bottle is made for biking and shoots the liquid into your mouth when you squeeze the bottle.  I think it works great for running, too.  I carry the bottle in a Nathan fluid belt w/pouch for carrying items like gels and keys/phone.  The bottle holder has a 45 degree angle for easy access.  I use GU Brew to fuel my runs (at least for the first 24 ounces).  There are not a lot of calories in the GU Brew, but I use it to refuel the electrolytes and to stay hydrated.  I focus on hydration more than caloric burn vs. intake.

Fueling

- Gels...I prefer GU and GU Roctane.  I normally do not take a gels with me on my training runs, unless they are 12 miles or longer.  At 12 miles, my halfway point is about 50 minutes and for me, that is a good time to refuel.  For shorter training runs I use normal GU.  But for longer training runs and races, I use GU Roctane.  My favorite flavors are Strawberry Banana for regular GU and Cherry Lime for GU Roctane.

Puking

- No I have never puked during or after a race.  There was a time this spring when I was running my wicked hill repeats that I felt a little nauseous, but I kept it all down with no heaving.

Blistering

- Inside of my second toes.  They tend to blister during marathons or really long runs (like 18 plus)

Chafing

- I use Sport Shield.  I normally lube up my inner thighs, nipples, and arm pits.  I will do my feet and toes for races, sometimes.

Bugs
-Ever been stung on a run? Sucked on by mosquitoes? Swarmed by cicadas? Share your most memorable bug story.

- I have definitely been bit by mosquitoes and bit by flies.  But my most memorable story was when I was stung by a bee on the lip and it started to swell up.  I looked like I had been punched in the mouth when I finally got home.

Sunscreen
-Yes, we know we need it. But do you use it as often as you should? Why or why not?

- I don't use it, although I know that I should.  I am the first to admit that I do not use sunscreen enough.  I guess that it is never on my mind before I head out the door for a run.

Ahhh! Splat!

- I have tripped a couple of times, but never enough to actually fall (knocking on wood).  The worst "trip" came when I was day dreaming and accidentally rolled my ankle on an uneven portion of the sidewalk.  I got lucky that I just rolled it and no real damage came of it.  Scared me to death, though.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:15 am

Ultras
-Haven't run one but thought about it? What'd you decide: maybe later, or when hell freezes over? Explain.

Never have, and doubt I ever will. 26.2 is hard enough for me. Longer seems far too daunting.

Trails

I run a lot of miles on the Airline Trail, which is a rail trail. A lot of it is stone dust, which is really nice to run on, and the rest is patchy/sandy dirt, mostly hard-packed, sometimes a bit sloppy, never technical. Most of my weekend runs in marathon training in the summer are on that trail. I love that trail!

Gear

I’ve taken to using my three year old Kinvaras on the treadmill, but otherwise have no “specialty” shoes. No toe socks.

Hydration

I carry on long runs in the summer, for sure. I just carry a half liter bottle that you get the water in at the store (I reuse these – probably going to die from some plastic chemical getting into my water). Works fine for me. I only take in calories in fluids on runs that get into the teens, when I’ll use Gatorade. I just find it keeps me going, and I also like the electrolytes, because I’m a big sweater.

Fueling

I use Gu (often Roctane) or Hammer Gels, usually when I get to any training run over 14 miles. If you give me a gel during a half, I’ll eat it, but I don’t typically eat gels otherwise in races shorter than marathons.

Puking

No puking for me. I don’t have stomach problems from gels, etc., so that wouldn’t cause it, and I don’t work hard enough in short races to puke!

Blistering

I don’t often blister at all, thankfully. I had a pair of ASICS when I was training for my first marathon, which caused me to blister, and so switched shoes and brands, and the problem went away.

Chafing

Any run longer than about 6 miles in sweaty conditions cause me to lube up before. I use aquaphor, or however you spell that, and I use quite a bit of it. For a short run, I’ll just do my nips and under my arms where the seams of my shirt rub. On longer runs, I’ll also do a number of places north of the knees and south of the navel that I won’t describe here. Any run over about 12 miles, I’m wearing nip guards instead of aquaphor on my nips.

Bugs

I deal with a lot of bugs in the April-July period, especially on the trail, but not too exciting. No painful stings. Worst is swallowing bugs, which I’ve done quite a bit of. Always find myself trying to gag it back up, because they seem to be stuck in my throat, and I imagine them alive and squirming around in there. Ugh.

Sunscreen

I am prone to basal cell skin cancer, so am very careful about this. Having said that, one of the things I really like about the trail is that it is shady. Quite shady. So I don’t have to slather myself to run up there, I just put on a hat to cover my bald head and I go (though I may have to use bug repellant). The downside of that is that I do not do well in the sun in general, and the races are usually sunny courses, and I’m just not used to sunny conditions. But given the basal cell issue, I’d rather train in the shade than risk the sun damage.

Ahhh! Splat!
-Ever tripped? Beefed it? Swan dived? Share your experience!.

I’ve fallen a bunch of times, once doing a nice somersault and coming out of it beautifully. My most recent fall was I think last year on the trail. I had just crossed one of the few road crossings I have to deal with, and was well into a long run, but had quite a way to go to finish. After I crossed the road, there is a narrow area to pass through next to a closed gate. At that point, the trail is a bit rough, and there are some big buried rocks with just the very tip-tops sticking out along the path. I’ve crossed over those many, many times, with no problems. This time, however, I caught one of them with my toe and went sprawling forward, really, really fast and hard. I could feel all this happening as if in slow motion, but just couldn’t stop it. I did get my hands out in front of me palms down, and those hit the ground first, but I was falling hard enough that they did not prevent my chest from also hitting the ground hard, followed by the rest of me, and then it all slid forward a foot or so in the sandy, stone-dusty trail. I slowly got up. I was bleeding from my palms, and one of my thighs was really sore. I was filthy. I had jettisoned my water bottle as I fell, and it still had water in it, so I used that to rinse off the dirt and dust from where I was bleeding. I got up and walked a few feet and felt like everything was working, and just figured I’d finish the run. I think I had about 7 miles left. A cyclist caught me from behind about a mile later, took one look at me and asked if I was OK. I took a look at myself when I got back to the car at the end of that loop, and I could see why he seemed concerned. I was a filthy mess, even on my face! The only aftermath of that was that my right foot was very sore – it seemed like I’d hyperextended my big toe when I tripped, and my leg was sore for a while, but those things passed, the palms healed up, and I was good to go!

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!

THANKS MARK!!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:45 am

Ultras
-Ever done one? How'd it go? Nope.
-Haven't run one but thought about it?  What'd you decide: maybe later, or when hell freezes over? Explain. You people are insane!

Trails
-Do you get the chance to run on dirt? How often? I don't much anymore but that was about all I ran on in high school.  Loved it.
-What's the best option nearest to where you live? Castlewood State Park and it's about an hour drive.

Gear
-Do you have special shoes for roads vs. trails? Nope, and I never really did either.  Just relied on being young and nimble.
-Ever tried toe socks? Like em? Or do they just look funny? No, and I think they'd drive me crazy.

Hydration
-What do you carry your fluids in? I drop a 20 oz. bottle at the turnaround point of my 10 mile loop.
-Calories from drink, or not? Why or why not? No, but only because sugary, calorie laden drinks give me terrible cotton mouth.

Fueling
-Gels, chews, sport beans or something else? Gels, usually with caffeine.  I really like the Gu chocolate outrage.
-What distance do you start fueling, for training? Racing? 14 miles or less on a long run gets no fuel, racing I won't until the half marathon distance.

Puking
-Ever do it during/after a race? Nope, never even felt the urge.  I have a pretty iron stomach.

Blistering
-Where do you blister? And when? The ends of the second toe on both feet, which is really weird because they're shorter than my big toe.  This only happens when racing a half marathon or longer, regardless of what shoes I wear.

Chafing
-How lubed up do you have to get? Where? BodyGlide, Vaseline or something else? Body Glide. Reasonably in the nether regions.  It's just too humid down here to not use anything.  Biking seems to get me worse than running though.

Bugs
-Ever been stung on a run? Sucked on by mosquitoes? Swarmed by cicadas? Share your most memorable bug story. Yep, my very first longish bike ride, I was finishing up and got stung right on the ass.  Little bastard wouldn't let go either!

Sunscreen
-Yes, we know we need it. But do you use it as often as you should? Why or why not?  I don't, but my trails are reasonable shaded and I always wear a hat and sunglasses.

Ahhh! Splat!
-Ever tripped? Beefed it? Swan dived? Share your experience! I have fortunately avoided this experience thus far!
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:55 am

Ultras

I've never done one and never will.  Nonetheless, I'm always interested in reading about them and marvel at the commitment and achievement of those who do them.  I think what it boils down to for me is that ultras seem to become even more of a "mental over physical" challenge to get through and, well, that's where I struggle enough just in 26.2.  The concept of having to battle those kinds of negative demons over hours and hours more?  Ugh.  So, no, never going to happen for me but I'd like to crew for one soon.

Trails

I do.  I typically run a trail run once a week with a buddy.  There's a state park on the Potomac River about 5 miles from my house.  Just a stunning place to run.  I'm so lazy, I never go there without my buddy and I should because my dog Juliet LOVES to run there with us and I really should take just her more often.  I've taken Jim Lentz and Kevin there and all other 365ers have an open invite.  It's a pretty spectacular trail along the river.

Gear

I've got a pair of Inov8s I only use for the trail runs and I really like those shoes.  Light but with cool little cleats that really dig in and provide stability.  Don't use them except for those runs.

I think toe socks look completely ridiculous.  Then again, when you are wearing shoes, nobody can see them so who cares?  Maybe they are nice/comfortable?  I don't know.  The look wards me off.  I have compression sleeves for my calves (an on/off problem for me) that I wear very infrequently.  The only reason I don't wear them more than once a month or so is I don't like the look!  They seem to help and I still don't wear them.  It's Better To Look Good Than To Feel Good, like Billy Crystal used to say.

Hydration

I KNOW I should be better about this but I hate carrying something while I run so I almost never bring a handheld.  I have a cool one I use on the trail runs sometimes but when I run on the paved stuff, I just know where the water fountains and 7/11s are and plan accordingly to stop and drink.   I do think getting in calories while doing long runs is key.  I'm kind of indifferent about whether it is water&gel or something like Gatorade but getting in calories during a long run is pretty key and I think I've actually been skimping on that recently and paid a price.   As for the why or why not, let's just say I'm on the firm side of the debate that it is a BAD idea to train yourself to run on carb deprivation.  Bad bad idea for training in my mind.

Fueling

A bunch of years ago I settled on GU Roctane Blueberry gels as something that seemed to agree with me (or maybe more accurately, didn't cause problems) and so that's my go-to think 90% of the time.  I'll use other things that someone gives me or comes in a race packet or something but not regularly and never in a race.  I take a gel a few minutes before every race.  For a 5K and 10K, that will be it.  For a half marathon, I do take a gel at the 5 mile mark and then have one more in reserve.  For the full, I'm every 5 miles and even considering going to MORE often.   As for training, I don't do anything for a run of less than 90 minutes but 1-2 gels for stuff that long or longer. 

Puking

My best race ever was a half in Pittsburgh and I actually threw up a bit as the woman put the medal on me.  Thank God, none actually exited my mouth on to her - she got the picture of what was up and moved away very quickly.  It was pretty embarrassing.  Best puking story ever during a race is Dave's doing it FOR THE WIN and keeping the picture with his trophy.  Classic. 

Blistering

Blister?  I don't think I do any more.  Maybe sometimes from a new pair of racing shoes.  Like back on my achillies area.  That's a pain but I should just remember that new shoes may do that and put a Band-Aid there. 

Chafing

You would think I would learn but if I do just a bit a SportSlick (kind of like Vaseline but better) in the most important region, all is good.   If I skip it, I'm fine most of the time but on those long runs, YEYOOOOWTCH!  The shower afterwards should convince me NEVER to miss putting SportSlick on ever again but I must be a slow learner!

Bugs

I've swallowed a couple while running which is always weird.  Probably just little gnats.   Maybe its a protein boost.  My most memorable bug story is not recent.  My brother and were hiking in the woods with our Grandfather when we were pretty young.   Matt stepped on a yellow jacket nest on the ground and THOUSANDS of them took to the air and started stinging us.  I was furthest away and got hit maybe just 10 times.  My memory of it before I took off at like 4:00 pace sprinting out of there was of my Grandfather sweeping his hand across Matt's back and you literally couldn't see his skin - his whole arm just COVERED in bees.  Then my Grandfather picked him up and we ran out of there.  The two of us boys were fine although I'm sure we cried a lot to get max ice cream but my Grandfather had to go to the hospital because his hand and arm swelled up so much from being stung.  But all fine in the end.  It was like out of a horror movie when that swarm rose up.  Crazy.

Sunscreen

Ah, geez. Almost nobody needs it as much as I do.  I have had 3 full blown melanomas (all Stage 0, thankfully) removed from me along with about 6 other more mild forms of skin cancer and now go in every 3 months for the rest of my life for checkups.  It is one of the reasons I do a lot of mill running over outside.  But.....that doesn't excuse my poor dedication to applying it liberally EVERY time I'm out there.  Hell, I should just wear sunscreen every day period.  I think I need to find a better brand than the one I use (Sportface by Nivea) which is kind of oily and hard to rub in to make disappear.  Sigh.  I'm bad about this and there's no possible defense of this and I need to quadruple down on being better about it.

Ahhh! Splat!

Yeah, sure.  Every 3rd run or so on the trails, I'll catch a root and face plant.  I've been lucky so far that its been nothing more serious than a pride wound.  Seems like the falls happen when I'm not going too fast and along relatively non-technical stuff but I'm not focused enough on foot placement and...face meet ground.   I've got a little jagged scar on my palm from one of them where I hit a rock as I went down but no real injuries.  Worst one I saw was a guy finishing somewhere around 30:00 in a local 5K.  His family and friends are yelling for him like crazy so he kicks in a monster sprint at the end and....some muscle in his leg seizes up and BAM he goes down hard about 50 yards short of the finish line.   There must have been 500 witnesses there just watching him roll around in agony while other finishers were navigating around him.   I felt horrible for the guy and then horrible about myself because I was having a hard time not laughing.   After like 2 minutes of being down and tended to, he slowly dragged himself across the line.  Probably pulled something.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:00 am

[b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb(83, 100, 130); line-height: 18.1875px; background-color: rgb(225, 235, 242);"]Ultras[/b] 
Trained for one... and got injured.  I ran a 30k trail race and won it, though.  And got second in a 23k one while training for my BQ.
One day I'll go back to it.

[b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb(83, 100, 130); line-height: 18.1875px; background-color: rgb(225, 235, 242);"]Trails[/b]
Yep.  Not as much as I used to, but there's a short (.5mi) trail in my neighborhood that's nice.  And I could always make the drive to Auburn or Folsom if I really wanted.
See above.

[b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb(83, 100, 130); line-height: 18.1875px; background-color: rgb(225, 235, 242);"]Gear[/b]
Yes.
Nope.  Do they serve a purpose?

[b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb(83, 100, 130); line-height: 18.1875px; background-color: rgb(225, 235, 242);"]Hydration[/b]
CamelBak
Not.  I'm too cheap to buy powders.

[b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb(83, 100, 130); line-height: 18.1875px; background-color: rgb(225, 235, 242);"]Fueling[/b]
For normal long runs, granola bars.  For marathon specific runs, gels.  For ultra, pb&banana&honey sandwiches.
6mi.  Then every 5-6mi.

[b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb(83, 100, 130); line-height: 18.1875px; background-color: rgb(225, 235, 242);"]Puking[/b]
No.
Yeah, but on the bike.

[b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb(83, 100, 130); line-height: 18.1875px; background-color: rgb(225, 235, 242);"]Blistering[/b]
Toes.  Randomly.

[b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb(83, 100, 130); line-height: 18.1875px; background-color: rgb(225, 235, 242);"]Chafing[/b]
Vaseline on the pits (lats) and groin.

[b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb(83, 100, 130); line-height: 18.1875px; background-color: rgb(225, 235, 242);"]Bugs[/b]
Stung by bees on the bike twice in a week back in college.  At Aileen's parents' house, there's a long bike trail along a drainage canal.  It's always got gnats.  I've been speckled black from them many a time.

[b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb(83, 100, 130); line-height: 18.1875px; background-color: rgb(225, 235, 242);"]Sunscreen[/b]
Only if I'm out there for more than an hour.

Ahhh! [b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb(83, 100, 130); line-height: 18.1875px; background-color: rgb(225, 235, 242);"]Splat![/b]
Slipped once in the rain while doing a hairpin turn...  Tripped quite a few times on trails, but only went down once.  Nothing too good, actually.  
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:13 pm

We haven't done a Friday thread in a while, and I seem to have gotten drafted into putting one together.

If you notice any similarities to experiences I may have had lately, it's purely coincidental. Honest!

[b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; "]Ultras[/b] 
-Ever done one? How'd it go? never

Never. Jerry runs only to train for races. Ultra is not a race.

[b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);"]Trails[/b]
-Do you get the chance to run on dirt? How often? I wish. 

In winter, along the city's concrete jogging trail, I run on the grass instead.

[b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);"]Gear[/b]

No.

Not funny

[b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);"]Hydration[/b]

In my stomach

Of cause.

[b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);"]Fueling[/b]
-Gels, chews, sport beans or something else? Gels

For training, only in special occasions where I feel uncertain to finish, after 7-8 miles maybe.

Half marathon, sometime around 8-10 miles

Marathon, around mile 6

[b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);"]Puking[/b]

[b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);"]Blistering[/b]

[b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);"]Chafing[/b]
-How lubed up do you have to get? Where? BodyGlide, Vaseline or something else? Not much.

[b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);"]Bugs[/b]

Small unknown bugs, face, mounts, not fun.

[b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);"]Sunscreen[/b]

Start doing it. Long way to go to save for my daugter's college fund ...

Ahhh! [b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; "]Splat![/b]
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:54 pm

Ultras

Yes, I have. It was kinda difficult. I had to be talked out of quitting, but I ended up proud to finish dead f-ing last.

Trails

Yes! I have been getting dirty about once a week. Most of my runs were on the Wildwood Trail in Portland's Forest Park, but I also climbed Silver Star Mountain in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest and Hamilton Mountain in the Columbia River Gorge. There's a less-developed park near my house with a few miles of trails on it that I visit when it's not too mucky and I don't mind dodging horse poo.

Gear

I have had Saucony Peregrines and liked them a lot, but I am currently using the Altra Superior. It's a zero-drop shoe, but it has a little more protection underfoot than, say, a super-minimalist shoe. I have used the Injinji toe socks and kind of like them - they offer better ground feel and reduce the risk of blisters. I'd strongly recommend them.

Hydration

What DON'T I carry my fluids in? I have two Camelbacks of different sizes, two handhelds and a water belt. Each one works well for certain locations and distances, so it doesn't seem excessive. I've been avoiding calories in fluid for a while now during training, using nuun instead.

Fueling

It depends on the run. I use Gu (vanilla and jet blackberry) sometimes, but I'll also throw in a dark chocolate granola bar, PickyBar or some other type of "real" food. I delayed fueling until about two hours into training runs, with good effect, but early and often during a race.

Puking

I've almost puked after a short-distance race, and I really wanted to empty my guts a few time in longer races... but everything has stayed put.

Blistering

When I blister, it tends to be on the callus on my heel. One time, Lunaracer 2s caused blisters on the arch of my foot. I never blister during training, only during races. What's up with that? (Note: I had only two tiny blisters on my heel after my 50-miler from debris in my shoes and they reabsorbed before I could find them a second time. Injinjis rock!)

Chafing

I don't have to get super-lubed, but I regret it if I don't slather BodyGlide on where the elastic from the shorts liner touches the legs.

Bugs

Yup! A bee got me in the ribs at the last aid station at the Mount Hood 50. Talk about a surprise. I've also accidentally eaten a bug on a screaming downhill, which caused a coughing fit so violent that I swear I was about to go cartwheeling down the road.

Sunscreen

I try to remember, making sure to get my ears and the back of my neck. I tend to forget my arms and legs, which means I have the wickedest runner/farmer tan around. Kind of like a marshmallow that's been toasted only on one side. Wink

Ahhh! Splat!

I've tripped more than a few times, but I've only fallen a few times. The worst time was when I was getting ready for Tecumseh, when I twisted an ankle on a root and went flying. (It was worst because of the ankle injury, not the fall.) The other times were once, at Tecumseh, when I lost footing on a sidehill, and on the Pacific Crest Trail on a practice run on the MH50 course when I hooked my toe on a root while trying to step up and suddenly found myself on the ground. 
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:08 pm

[b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb(83, 100, 130); line-height: 18.1875px; background-color: rgb(225, 235, 242);"]Ultras[/b] 
-Ever done one? How'd it go? Yes, a 50K once and it was just fine.  I won't do it again though as well, 26.2 is far enough.  However I'd admire those who go the distance (so to speak) and I like to volunteer at the local 24 hr event.

[b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb(83, 100, 130); line-height: 18.1875px; background-color: rgb(225, 235, 242);"]Trails[/b]
-Do you get the chance to run on dirt? How often? Some in Cleveland and about 1x per week as I won't chance it alone for both safety and injury reasons. 
-What's the best option nearest to where you live?The Metroparks have a great Bridle Trail series, and the trail runners love them.  We road racers use them as recovery trails 1x per week.

[b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb(83, 100, 130); line-height: 18.1875px; background-color: rgb(225, 235, 242);"]Gear[/b]
-Do you have special shoes for roads vs. trails? No as I don't run them often enough.
-Ever tried toe socks? Like em? Or do they just look funny? Yes the Injinji ones and they were ok.  Received them in a race goodie bag.

[b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb(83, 100, 130); line-height: 18.1875px; background-color: rgb(225, 235, 242);"]Hydration[/b]
-What do you carry your fluids in? Fuel belt
-Calories from drink, or not? Why or why not? Sometimes as I need the electrolytes in the summer and I can't always stomach gels in the summer heat.  In the winter, I mix it up more - usually one bottle of water and one of sports drink along with a gel or chomps.

[b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb(83, 100, 130); line-height: 18.1875px; background-color: rgb(225, 235, 242);"]Fueling[/b]
-Gels, chews, sport beans or something else? All of those.
-What distance do you start fueling, for training? Racing? Over 10 miles in training.  I will sometimes take a gel in a half marathon, but usually just for the marathon distance.

[b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb(83, 100, 130); line-height: 18.1875px; background-color: rgb(225, 235, 242);"]Puking[/b]
-Ever do it during/after a race? After yes
-Ever really, really, really want to do it but couldn't? Yup Embarassed 

[b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb(83, 100, 130); line-height: 18.1875px; background-color: rgb(225, 235, 242);"]Blistering[/b]
-Where do you blister? And when? My second toe on the right foot and under my big toe on the left.  I used to blister more often, but shoe technology has improved over the years and I don't seem to have the issues that caused all my black toenails in the first place.

[b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb(83, 100, 130); line-height: 18.1875px; background-color: rgb(225, 235, 242);"]Chafing[/b]
-How lubed up do you have to get? Where? BodyGlide, Vaseline or something else? I have to always wear body glide or aquaphor to prevent chub rub, but usually no more than that.  I do lube my feet for a marathon race though especially if it is hot as I sweat a lot and my feet get wet.  I also have to lube up around the singlet arms holes sometimes.  Must be my incredibly muscular physique.

[b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb(83, 100, 130); line-height: 18.1875px; background-color: rgb(225, 235, 242);"]Bugs[/b]
-Ever been stung on a run? Sucked on by mosquitoes? Swarmed by cicadas? Share your most memorable bug story. I was swarmed by cicadas in Cincinnati once.  Usually we have the problem in Cleveland with the midges or mayflies on the lake in early June and October.  Same annoying bugs that bothered a Yankees pitcher back in the day when the Tribe was good and they beat the Yankees only to lose to the Red Sox before the Sox won their first World Series in a zillion years. Never been stung, but I have run into those nasty clusters of gnats or no see ums on many a run in Atlanta.

[b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb(83, 100, 130); line-height: 18.1875px; background-color: rgb(225, 235, 242);"]Sunscreen[/b]
-Yes, we know we need it. But do you use it as often as you should? Why or why not? Probably not since I usually run in the early mornings in the summer and we all need vitamin D.  I do wear a hot 90% of the time to protect my face and I have been known to wear zinc oxide on my nose just like a life guard.  I do sometimes forget sunscreen in longer races especially when it is cold at the start.  At Steamboat, I wore arm sleeves for the first 13 miles, and then I took them off.  My left arm was sun burned a bit - not good.

Ahhh! [b style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb(83, 100, 130); line-height: 18.1875px; background-color: rgb(225, 235, 242);"]Splat![/b]
-Ever tripped? Beefed it? Swan dived? Share your experience! Oh yeah - all the time!!!I have fallen on trails, on the sidewalk, in a race - you name it as I am very good at tripping over my feet.  I actually stepped on wet leaves once and slid causing an ankle injury that kept me off the roads for 6 wks!  I also tripped and fell in a marathon (avoiding a car on a dirt road) and broke my watch which I then carried for the rest of the race.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:54 pm

ULTRAS
Yep, back in my regular marathoning days, I upped the ante to include a 50k, Sunmart, near Houston, TX.  Huntsville, actually.  Mostly roots and swamp, no rocks.  Since I'm not really doing marathons, I haven't gotten back into trying another ultra but I love  groomed trails.  Not too enthused about technical ones.

TRAILS
I have some state parks near me but I have to make an effort to drive there.  I've done it in the past, but haven't really pushed it much.  If it was right outside the door, I'd be on them in a minute.

GEAR
Always wore trail shoes for running because I'm a klutz and whether or not there is more stability doesn't matter, my head thinks there is.

HYDRATION
I usually carry a bottle.  I used to have a fuel belt that I would use but the weather has sucked the last new years and anytime I'm out I usually start with a frozen water bottle.

FUELING
For the Sunmart Ultra I just loved potatoes dipped in salt.  Actually if I do an Ultra, it will always be food plus the occasional Clif Shot blocks.

THE Nasties (Puking, blistering and chafing)
I have never puked but I've blistered...usually a small one to the inside of the ball of my foot.  Chafing?  Usually use Body glide for inner thighs and all around the top of my sports bra.  If its going to be especially hot and dry, I'll put some under my arms too.  Nice!

BUGS - Nope, nada

SUNSCREEN - I've used it for the back of my neck but to be honest, I'm waiting for the study to come out to say that putting all that sunscreen and bug spray on your skin causes cancer.  ugh, I'd rather wear a hat with drape on it for protection than spray chemicals all over myself.

SPLAT - Oh yeah!!  Full on 'first blood' during my Sunmart Ultra.  I didn't have a Garmin at the time but I figured it was directly around the 26.3 mile mark to make me take notice of the distance.  I was flying like superman down a hill and then skid to a stop.  Just some bloody arms and legs..a bit of trail rash.  I got up real quick and looked around for some reason thinking I should be embarrassed if anyone saw me.  Coming down the trail was a man who once he saw that I had finished assessing my body and that I was all in one piece announced that he was with a AMA and wanted to be sure I was okay.  Nice!  I assured him that it was just my ego that was bruised and off he went.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:25 pm

Ultras
-Ever done one? How'd it go?Nah
Maybe when I run barefoot tippy-toed
Trails
Yes, Trail races in Rockford in the winter.(usually muddy or snow)  a few times. Did Waterfall Glen 2011 and North country trail in 2010.
Lakefront path, Caldwell woods, or Waterfall Glen. When I visit my mom in Ohio there's Mohican trails.

Gear
Trail shoes and spikes for the Rockford races.
Nah

Hydration
Stomach
Uhhh, what!! I suppose

Fueling
Accel gels usually
-What distance do you start fueling, for training? Racing? mile 8 or 10

Puking
Not yet
Never wanted to, really!
Blistering
between 1st and 2nd toe, certain shoes, long hard runs.

Chafing
Hardly ever and only precautionary at marathons. I once chafed down there, you know, during a rainy half marathon in my 1st one in '08 in some cheap thrift store shorts. 

Bugs
Not to memorable since I can't remember being stung. I do remember running in Wisconsin by Phantom lake in the spring and getting swarmed by gnats a few years back.

Sunscreen
Not in early morning, only height of the day. I like getting vitamin D naturally.

Ahhh! Splat!
-Ever tripped? Beefed it? Swan dived? Share your experience
Twice very hard at 2010 north country trail marathon on these sand mounds and  got covered with sand. Numerous times at the Rockford winter trail series due to icy and muddy patches
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:07 am

Thanks Mark!

Ultras
JFK50 4x: 1 DNF 3 finishes.

Trails
At least once a week if possible in Rock Creek Park near my house.

Gear
Trail shoes are a must for trails. No special socks. Gaiters if necessary.

Hydration
I almost always carry water in a bottle in hand - for hydration only, refueling after the run.

Fueling
Gels during a marathon, never shorter. No fueling during training.

Puking
I've dry heaved after a sprint finish. Nothing more.

Blistering
I don't.

Chafing
Vaseline on hot spots (toes & crotch) is enough.

Bugs
Black flies in Minnesota and in Rhode Island can be miserable.

Sunscreen
I use it religiously if I'm out long between 10am and 3pm.

Ahhh! Splat!
I taken a face plant on the trail too many times to mention. Here is some evidence

Friday Thread for July 26 Bottle10

Friday Thread for July 26 Motoac10
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:43 pm

Ultras
JFK50 miler, No wimps Challenge half day one and then 50k day 2 Pinckney Trails. Make the move to running more 50 to 100 mile races. 

Trails
-At least once every weekend! 
Go to the forest preserves in the suburbs and travel to Michigan a lot on the weekends to hit the trails. I love running on trails so so so so much better than roads!

Gear
I have trail shoes but they are all light weight and I run in my normal shoes also. Ran JFK in my T7 racing flats

Hydration
I use and Ultimate Direction vest that holds 2 bottles in the front, I can put t more bottles in the backpack part, has plenty of areas for me to stash all my other goods that I need to take on long runs in the woods were there is no water and etc.. 

I take in calories from drink and food. Either or calories are calories and energy to the body!

Fueling
-Gels, and food (depending on the distance.

Blistering
-Don't get them

Chafing
BodyGlide and sometimes I have used Vaseline 

Bugs
DEER FLYS!!!! I few summers back I was bitten so many times that I went to the hospital to make sure that I was ok. My whole back was completely black and blue!!! 

Friday Thread for July 26 IMG_0569

Sunscreen
Use it all the time during training in the summer! 

Splat
Your not trail running if your not falling! I fell twice last weekend on the trails and caught myself at 4 other times! 
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:51 pm

Mark B wrote:Ultras
-Ever done one? How'd it go? Nope but ran a few 30 mile training runs and called them Ultras
-Haven't run one but thought about it?  What'd you decide: maybe later, or when hell freezes over? Explain. Sounds interesting but need to stop these stupid injuries first and get back to running !!!!

Trails
-Do you get the chance to run on dirt? How often? Used to with the club. After my achilles tendon repair it hurt so bad a swore off trails...real trails that is...not rail to trail conversions.  Run those all the time.
-What's the best option nearest to where you live? Van Buren State Park for roots and rocks, North Baltimore to Bowling Green Rail to Trail on asphalt.  All in NW Ohio.

Gear
-Do you have special shoes for roads vs. trails? Yes, Asics...all of them.
-Ever tried toe socks? Like em? Or do they just look funny?  No

Hydration
-What do you carry your fluids in?  Use Nathan in training and Fuel Belt in marathons.
-Calories from drink, or not? Why or why not?  Accelerade...found I have a better recovery.

Fueling
-Gels, chews, sport beans or something else?  Accel Gels and GU with caffiene
-What distance do you start fueling, for training? Racing? Half marathon and beyond distances and races.

Puking
-Ever do it during/after a race?  Nope
-Ever really, really, really want to do it but couldn't?  Nope

Blistering
-Where do you blister? And when?  Middle toes under the toenail, little toes and left calloused ball of the foot area

Chafing
-How lubed up do you have to get? Where? BodyGlide, Vaseline or something else?  I think I bathe in Body Glide now.  Just when I think I have all the offenders covered another crops up!

Bugs
-Ever been stung on a run? Sucked on by mosquitoes? Swarmed by cicadas? Share your most memorable bug story.  Biting flies and swallowing those little nasty things that come out of the corn fields!

Sunscreen
-Yes, we know we need it. But do you use it as often as you should? Why or why not?  Face and ears, not good about my body but all my cancers have been on my face and ears.  I'm beginning to truly wonder about the benefit of block.  It doesn't seem to have slowed down my cancers and I'm having more incidents annually!

Ahhh! Splat!
-Ever tripped? Beefed it? Swan dived? Share your experience!  Worse fall was just before the MCM (can't remember the year now).  Tripped while running on a sidewalk in the neighborhood early morning (dark).  Hit my left side of my eye and face so bad I had to have an MRI to make sure I didn't bust anything!  I've tripped a few times and chipped the end of my fibia off (ankle) but wasn't as scary as the eye/face ordeal.
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

http://oceanbreeze-lake-erie.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:33 pm

Ultras
No ultras for me.  My favorite distances are 10 and 13.1.  Even the marathon I don't truly enjoy, and I have absolutely no desire at all to run anything further than that.  I respect ultra-marathoners but don't really ever see myself wanting to do one.

Trails
I mostly run along the lake path (pavement), but sometimes run on the dirt /limestone trails in Lincoln Park, maybe about 1x / week average.  I live 3 blocks from Lincoln Park so that's the best option for me.  I'm sure in the suburbs there are true trail runs.

Gear
No special shoes, because I don't do technical trails.  Tried toe socks and thought they looked / felt funny, and didn't see the point of them.

Hydration
In the spring/summer/fall I just stop at the water fountains.  When they're turned off, I have a little water bottle with a hand strap.  I only drink water on my runs.  After, I drink G2 / low calorie Gatorade.  Generally prefer to eat, not drink, my calories.

Fueling
I recently switched from clif blocks to Sports Beans.  I actually hate regular jelly beans, but the sports beans are really good.  And they don't melt.  I have a hard time restraining myself from eating them when I'm not running.  I use them for runs of 9 or more miles.  Usually eat one pack at 4.5 and if doing more than 10 miles, the other at 9 miles. Same for races. 

Puking
I've never yacked during or right after a race.  Have wanted to.  First and last marathons come to mind for wishing I could but wasn't able to.  Instead I just suffered and underperformed.

Blistering
Mostly on my toes.  When? Dunno, sometime during the run but not sure when.

Chafing
I don't lube.  I've tried BodyGlide and Vaseline under the bottom of my sports bra and neither worked.  I just chafe there instead.

Bugs
Lately I feel like I'm being bit during runs on my lower legs, but have yet to see an actual fly/bug.  I ran through a swarm of knats (spelling?) a few weeks ago.  Closed my mouth during that.  Had to clean off my sunglasses afterwards. Yuck!

Sunscreen
I always put it on my face, because I get unattractive freckles if I don't.  I need to be better about putting it on the rest of me.  Before I turned 30 I had a severely dysplastic (pre-melanoma) mole removed from my arm, so you'd think I'd be uber-cautious about that....but no.  I just assume I won't get burned.

Ahhh! Splat!
I usually have one good running-related fall per year.  Last year, slid and skinned my shoulder very nicely.  I'm due in the next 2 months for another one.  I worry that I'll trip on the uneven pavement on the lakepath and fall in the water (and ruin my iphone)....or hurt myself in a way that makes me unable to run
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:28 am

Mark B wrote:We haven't done a Friday thread in a while, and I seem to have gotten drafted into putting one together.

Ultras
Nope - heck, my one and only marathon didn't go so well!

I think it would be fun to do someday.  But, I want to BQ first, complete an IM, and if I can stay injury free then sure, I'd love to do one and see how it goes. 

Trails
Almost never - very limited accessibility.  Clay dirt roads are almost harder than pavement.

Pavement or a treadmill

Gear
Love shoes - if I got into trail running, I'm sure I'd get a pair

Absolutely not.  Don't think I could tolerate them.  Sort of like compression sleeves/socks.  They may work, but I just can't go there - not yet anyway...

Hydration
I like Jerry's answer.  But I usually carry a cycling water bottle or two. 

Gatorade - I like it and it seems to help a little better than just water

Fueling
vanilla bean or jet blackberry gu.  chomps taste good but can't eat them while running/racing

Only gu's for marathons.  Olympic triathlons might take one.  Any longer tri.

Puking
Nope
Yep - Sprint tris, 5ks and 10ks are the worst...

Blistering
I have when wearing a new pair of Zoots that can be worn sockless.  Now I wear socks.

Chafing
Ummmmm, no comment?  Bandaids on the nips is the most critical - singlets around the arms can be rough...

Bugs
I live below the gnat line (other Georgians will understand that), so I inhale/swallow pounds of them through a summer.  Blow gnat-laced snot rockets frequently. 

Sunscreen
I'm guilty - don't wear it.  Hate the way it makes me feel. 

Ahhh! Splat!
Not as often as I probably should with me less than graceful running style.  Dislocated shoulder earlier this year after stepping in a pothole and falling.  That was a fun run home afterwards....

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down