365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boston Marathon Registration

+7
Chris M
Schuey
Jerry
Diego
KBFitz
Michele "1L" Keane
mountandog
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Boston Marathon Registration Empty Boston Marathon Registration

Post  mountandog Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:17 pm

Any idea why they haven't announced the registration dates yet?  I have some runners that want to make a last attempt for '14 but want to train as long as possible.  Any inside info out there?
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Boston Marathon Registration Empty Re: Boston Marathon Registration

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:33 pm

I'm guessing the 3rd week in September, but I'm also guessing that they are waiting just a bit to see how many of us limbo runners register as they might still be debating the final number of runners that they will take.  I'm thinking they might increase the field sze a bit.  Anyway, I am one of those limbo runners who will register in mid-August when they allow.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:13 am

Registration for the 118th running of the Boston Marathon, scheduled to be held on Monday, April 21, will open in early September.
Please post to this thread when dates are announced ... so that we'll all know.
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:04 pm

said they'd post registration dates in July.  I think its August now, at least in Michigan it is.  Jeeze.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:19 am

I just saw on a banner for the Boston Marathon(when I was looking up B2B 10k results) that registration opens September 9th(no confirmation on BAA.org for that date yet, however).
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:40 am

Sept 9 or after is perfect, cause Jerry has a 5 mile race Sept 7 to evaluate his status.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:30 am

Jerry wrote:Sept 9 or after is perfect, cause Jerry has a 5 mile race Sept 7 to evaluate his status.

And like that will make a difference Jerry? You think that 5 mile race will give you a good evaluation on whether you could handle the little hills in Boston? Laughing Laughing Laughing
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:04 pm

just in (although still no dates):

http://www.runnersworld.com/races/police-chief-bigger-field-for-2014-boston-marathon?cm_mmc=Twitter-_-RunnersWorld-_-Content-News-_-BostonToAddSpots

I still think it will be more competitive to get in.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:35 pm

Again, I think they are waiting to find out how many of us "limbo" runners apply in two weeks.  Then they can look at the demographics and make a final decision.  As I noted in my blog, we got our emails with our entry instructions last Thursday and we have from the 19th through the 29th to register.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:59 pm

I don't think it will be more competitive to get in. I think it will be the same as last year. I will go as far as it will run the throught to whole registration phase just like last year.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:06 pm

There go I think the reason the dates haven't come out because they haven't confirmed with Hopkinton or Boston how large the field will be expanded. They are saying 9000 and only 5633 didn't finish. Which means they are looking for a larger field overall. I think once they know the field size they will give the reg. dates. That way they can get their system ready for it. No doubt if they increase to 9000 the process will run the whole course.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:12 pm

Schuey wrote:I don't think it will be more competitive to get in. I think it will be the same as last year. I will go as far as it will run the throught to whole registration phase just like last year.

Its hard to see how it would suddenly fill much more quickly.  Certainly interest in it is up for 2014 but when they went to these new BQ standards last year, it took over a month AFTER registration ended to fill up with BQ runners.  There was no NY Marathon last year so I kind of doubt there's suddenly a giant increase in the number of runners sitting on a BQ time.  Maybe somewhat more since Boston 2013 was conducive to fast BQ times and Boston 2012 was not.  I'm with Schuey in that I doubt anyone holding a BQ time of any kind (even one second under) will not be able to get in during initial registration.  Maybe because of interest in the 2014 race, it doesn't go all the way past Chicago like it did last year but I think it will look more like last year in terms of registration than the quick rush that happened before they lowered the times by 5 minutes.  Maybe all of this is wishful thinking on my part because I plan to run September 15th and have been assuming that any qualifying time (not only -5 or -20 or whatever) is fine then and registration will still be open.  We'll see.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:22 pm

I don't know Chris, I bet you've got a lot of people like Dave and Matt W who have easily achieved a BQ by a large margin who are planning on running this year when Boston isn't an every year event for them.  I think you'll see an uptick in registrants like them who want to be a part of 2014 that might not have otherwise registered.  I think it will make a difference in the speed at which registration closes and I think you may see some people who have a BQ that's within 30 seconds or a minute not get in because of it. 

Now, if they expand the field by more than the number of people being given an exemption for not being able to finish last year, that will clear some spots and everyone with a BQ may get in.  You also have to keep in mind that last year was the first year with the new, lower BQ standards and people will adjust and there will be more people with qualifying times as the years go by.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:35 pm

I read the article to mean that they would expand the field by 9000 over last year, and there are only 5633 runners of that 9000 and what percentage of them will actually register?  Many of them were charity runners and runners with corporate and town bibs as well.  I venture to bet half of the 5633 register by the 29th leaving at least an additional 3000 spots over last year.  This, of course, is all just speculation.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:21 pm

mul21 wrote:I don't know Chris, I bet you've got a lot of people like Dave and Matt W who have easily achieved a BQ by a large margin who are planning on running this year when Boston isn't an every year event for them.  I think you'll see an uptick in registrants like them who want to be a part of 2014 that might not have otherwise registered.

Of the 6 people I regularly train with, all have expressed an interest in running Boston 2014.  None have run in quite a few years. I suspect my training group isn't the only one like this.  

I think it fills fast.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:57 pm

Schuey wrote:
Jerry wrote:Sept 9 or after is perfect, cause Jerry has a 5 mile race Sept 7 to evaluate his status.

And like that will make a difference Jerry? You think that 5 mile race will give you a good evaluation on whether you could handle the little hills in Boston? Laughing Laughing Laughing

I think you are right that I really should quit running before I put in another 300 miles and quit, or even worse pay the registration.

No, not really, maybe I can probably sell the bib for $500?
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:11 pm

Sure there will people that run it this year that haven't run it in the past. The way I see most people run Boston once and are done. If they are going to increase the field by 9000 which of 5633 are from last year that leaves 3367 more spots then last year. If all the 5633 don't sign up that leaves even more spots.

I will put my money down that with how much Boston cost and the fact that really it's just another race on the calendar and people's feelings fads as time goes on I believe registration will run through all phase and may still not fill until after Chicago. Hey only time will tell.

Dave your a gambling guy like me what kinda of gentlemen's bet would you like to wager? If I we you and Britt take Kristina for a weekend? Smile
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:29 pm

some interesting stuff.  I'm with Dave,  It will fill early  I've even read some analysis that says it will be full by BQ-5.  If I can find that article again I will post it.  A couple of other analysis for your enjoyment.

http://running.competitor.com/2013/04/news/want-to-qualify-for-boston-in-2014_70892

http://www.runtri.com/2008/07/race-boston-boston-marathon-qualifying.html
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:38 pm

Hey Mountandog on a different subject I will be running the Potto this weekend and camping. If you aren't doing anything and want to run on the trails on Saturday let me know.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:18 pm

BAA post on FB:

Quick update from the Boston Athletic Association:

As Summer rolls on, we know some of you are trying to choose an upcoming race at which you hope to qualify -- or run an improved qualifying performance -- for April's Boston Marathon. We hope your training has been going well.

We're actively working with the State and the communities along the course to establish the field size for next year, as well as other aspects of our planning. Registration will open after the field size announcement is made.

We are hopeful that we'll be able to expand beyond the 27,000 runner limit of previous years for what will be a special event in 2014, but we have not committed to a certain number as of today.

Your patience over the past few months has been remarkable. Thank you for your support of the B.A.A. and the Boston Marathon.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:17 am

Schuey wrote:Hey Mountandog on a different subject I will be running the Potto this weekend and camping. If you aren't doing anything and want to run on the trails on Saturday let me know.
 Martin,  I would be iffy for this weekend due to heading out on vacation Sunday, but let me know your schedule in case I can break away.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:19 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:BAA post on FB:

Quick update from the Boston Athletic Association:

As Summer rolls on, we know some of you are trying to choose an upcoming race at which you hope to qualify -- or run an improved qualifying performance -- for April's Boston Marathon. We hope your training has been going well.

We're actively working with the State and the communities along the course to establish the field size for next year, as well as other aspects of our planning. Registration will open after the field size announcement is made.

We are hopeful that we'll be able to expand beyond the 27,000 runner limit of previous years for what will be a special event in 2014, but we have not committed to a certain number as of today.

Your patience over the past few months has been remarkable. Thank you for your support of the B.A.A. and the Boston Marathon.
 I hope they delay registration a couple of weeks so runners can plan their fall race rather than scramble a couple of weeks ahead.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin VW Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:05 am

mountandog wrote:
 I hope they delay registration a couple of weeks so runners can plan their fall race rather than scramble a couple of weeks ahead.
What would be BAA's motivation to do so? The reason they are moving the date up is to put more time (and therefore decrease demand) between the beginning of registration and the fall marathons. Having the registration not make it to BQ - zero is a PR nightmare for BAA.

Anyway, even though I am happily retired from training (I think I've run 10 times since September), I'm still a runner in my brain, so I still think about this kind of stuff. I decided to poll my local running club, to see what people's plans are. It's a club made up of some really talented runners, competitive with BAA, Greater Boston Track Club and Whirlaway, but I would say more of the members are social runners than competitive.

I received 18 responses.

9 (50%) would be running 2014 anyway, regardless

6 (33%) will use their automatic entry due to not finishing (primarily runners on charity bibs)

3 (17%) are running as a direct result of the events of 2013 - they would not be running if it weren't for the bombings.

So what does that mean? We can all use statistics to suppport what we believe to be true (Chris).

To me, it means that demand will be "normal" during the registration period. If 4,500 of the 5,600 (I think that's the number) that have automatic entries at least register (and why wouldn't they?), the size of the field of entries for qualified runners will increase by a little over 20%. That will accomodate the 15% to 20% of people that, IMO (and this unscientific poll) of people with qualifying times anyway that will register rahrter than skip it.

But, registration is supposed to be starting sooner, so it will, in theory, fill sooner on the calendar. I bet Chris a case of microbrews that registration would close by October 1.

What will be interesting to see is the impact this has on invitational/charity bibs. Initially, I saw that as becoming a really hot ticket. But, if a large percentage of people that would otherwise run through a charity take their opportunity to run on an automatic entry, without a fundraising bogey to contend with (I'm sure some will still do some fundraising), that could actually be an avenue that could open up. Or, we'll have unprecedented demand as a result of people that never considered running a marathon (NOVA-style) but are now drawn to the event.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts. Oh, and hey, all. Smile

Last edited by Martin VW on Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Martin VW
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:51 pm

Hey, V-Dubya!

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:07 pm

I like beer and I'm looking forward to VW purchasing Nantucket microbrews for me on October 2nd when Boston 2014 is still not closed.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next