365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

2:47:59

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

2:47:59

Post  Admin on Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:13 pm

Yep, there it is... a goal.  Two hours, forty seven minutes, and fifty nine seconds.

I honestly haven't had a real running goal for quite some time... almost 3 years now.  Seems like a lifetime.  Part of me wonders if it's a pipe dream; part of me knows I've not really come close to my running potential.  While I'm happy with my past running experiences, I am not happy to have been in this void for so long.  It's like a funk that I just haven't been able to shake off.  Now, I need to change it.

The past couple of weeks I've been ramping up a bit.  I've been running a few shorter mileage doubles and a couple of 2 hour runs.  I've just been testing out the body to see how it responds.  So far, no problems.  As Labor Day weekend approaches, I'm feeling optimistic about the challenge.

This is where I'll track my updates.  This is where I'll have to keep myself honest.  I've no target race at the moment; just the idea that I will crush my PR... probably in the fall of 2014.  I expect that this little thread will be around for a while...

Happy running!

Admin
Admin

Posts : 889
Points : 3987
Join date : 2011-06-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2:47:59

Post  Dave-O on Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:23 pm

Ok, I'll ask:  Why 2:47:59? Does 6:25 pace just sound right?
avatar
Dave-O
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 1736
Points : 4611
Join date : 2011-06-14
Age : 36
Location : Chicago

View user profile http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: 2:47:59

Post  Admin on Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:08 pm

@Dave-O wrote:Ok, I'll ask:  Why 2:47:59? Does 6:25 pace just sound right?
It's faster than 2 hours + age.  A worthy goal, I think, but one that will require a sound approach, consistent execution, and unwavering determination.  I'm thinking out my basic framework and will start documenting it later today. 
 
UPDATED: 8/30/2013
I'm thinking something like:
-12 weeks general build up
- 2 weeks cut back
- 8 weeks quality intro (5k/10k effort - max 5% miles)
- 1 week cutback
- 8 weeks build up w/quality (15k-HM effort - max 7% miles)
- 1 weeks cut back
- 8 weeks build up w/quality (all effort ranges - max 10% miles)
- 2 weeks cut back
- 4 weeks lower mileage track & speed drills
- 12 week race specific program
 
Thinking this through, I should reach a good peak after the 8 week build up w/quality, another peak after 12 week build up w/quality, then a final peak after the 12 week race specific program.
 
What would you think of an approach like this?


Last edited by Mr MattM on Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total

Admin
Admin

Posts : 889
Points : 3987
Join date : 2011-06-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2:47:59

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:43 pm

No comment on the approach, just glad to see you back at it.  I, too, do not think you reached your potential yet, and it is great to see you set a new goal.
avatar
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4804
Points : 11431
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 56
Location : Cleveland (Bay Village), OH/Atlanta, GA

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: 2:47:59

Post  Admin on Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:27 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:No comment on the approach, just glad to see you back at it.  I, too, do not think you reached your potential yet, and it is great to see you set a new goal.
Thanks, Michele.  I am hopeful that this is a turning point.  It feels like it is...

I do welcome comments on anything I post here.  My idea for the 'big picture' is to apply some cycles that build up smartly.  I'm trying to respect both quantity and quality by building some specific periods and taking some planned step backs.  While I've been reasonably successful just following the RUN MORE philosophy, I'm certain that there is a point of diminishing returns and I very likely hit that point 3 years ago.  My thought is that I still need high mileage, but I need to also have a smart plan that incorporates structured quality sessions.  Getting there without breaking is the balancing act... the tightrope walk... I cannot afford to 'just wing it' this time.  That's why I hope to get feedback along the way.

Weight, nutrition, and core strength are all important aspects in addition to the running.  2:47:59 is a HUGE jump from where I am, and on the face of it... not likely.  That's the beauty.  That's the motivation.

Admin
Admin

Posts : 889
Points : 3987
Join date : 2011-06-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2:47:59

Post  Ben Z on Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:20 pm

Sounds like a good goal. What is your PR today?

And please track your progress so I can copy your plan in a few years.

Thanks!
avatar
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Posts : 698
Points : 3547
Join date : 2011-06-15
Location : Bay Area

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2:47:59

Post  Admin on Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:35 pm

Hey Ben!  My PR is from Chicago '10 - 2:59:35.  I paced it pretty well and some think I could have been a couple of minutes faster on a better day if I'd been aggressive.  I don't know about that.

I do view my goal as possible, but unlikely.  I'm not blowing smoke up my own rear end... or anyone else's.  Laughing 

I plan to post here quite a bit.  I'm interested in finding out what I can still do... I'm pretty old, you know... Twisted Evil

Admin
Admin

Posts : 889
Points : 3987
Join date : 2011-06-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2:47:59

Post  Jerry on Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:42 pm

lol! Dave apparently doesn't understand men's mentality at 40+. As soon as I saw whose blog it was, I knew what it meant. 


Good luck, Matt.
avatar
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2710
Points : 1004345
Join date : 2011-06-15
Location : Where I'm Loved

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2:47:59

Post  Admin on Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:46 pm

Thanks, Jerry!  Good to know you caught on right away... that means you're also thinking about some new goals, too, eh?  Maybe?
 
I'd love to read a Jerry training blog!!!  Laughing cheers lol! Running

Admin
Admin

Posts : 889
Points : 3987
Join date : 2011-06-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2:47:59

Post  Jerry on Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:51 pm

@Mr MattM wrote:Thanks, Jerry!  Good to know you caught on right away... that means you're also thinking about some new goals, too, eh?  Maybe?
 
I'd love to read a Jerry training blog!!!  Laughing cheers lol! Running
No, I am two years younger.lol!
avatar
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2710
Points : 1004345
Join date : 2011-06-15
Location : Where I'm Loved

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2:47:59

Post  mul21 on Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:01 pm

@Mr MattM wrote:Hey Ben!  My PR is from Chicago '10 - 2:59:35.  I paced it pretty well and some think I could have been a couple of minutes faster on a better day if I'd been aggressive.  I don't know about that.

I do view my goal as possible, but unlikely.  I'm not blowing smoke up my own rear end... or anyone else's.  Laughing 

I plan to post here quite a bit.  I'm interested in finding out what I can still do... I'm pretty old, you know... Twisted Evil
Um, yeah, you could have been several minutes faster if it hadn't been 8 billion degrees that day.  You handled it better than most, but there's no doubt in my mind (having completely blown up around 21 miles or so myself) that it cost you a couple minutes.
avatar
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1481
Points : 4756
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 41
Location : St. Louis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2:47:59

Post  Chris M on Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:42 pm

That's a big bold goal as the best ones always are!  Please keep us posted as you start working your way towards it.
avatar
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1061
Points : 3876
Join date : 2011-06-14
Age : 49
Location : Washington, DC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2:47:59

Post  Admin on Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:02 pm

@Jerry wrote:
@Mr MattM wrote:Thanks, Jerry!  Good to know you caught on right away... that means you're also thinking about some new goals, too, eh?  Maybe?
 
I'd love to read a Jerry training blog!!!  Laughing cheers lol! Running
No, I am two years younger.lol!
Then you should be FASTER!  lol! 


@mul21 wrote:
@Mr MattM wrote:Hey Ben!  My PR is from Chicago '10 - 2:59:35.  I paced it pretty well and some think I could have been a couple of minutes faster on a better day if I'd been aggressive.  I don't know about that.

I do view my goal as possible, but unlikely.  I'm not blowing smoke up my own rear end... or anyone else's.  Laughing 

I plan to post here quite a bit.  I'm interested in finding out what I can still do... I'm pretty old, you know... Twisted Evil
Um, yeah, you could have been several minutes faster if it hadn't been 8 billion degrees that day.  You handled it better than most, but there's no doubt in my mind (having completely blown up around 21 miles or so myself) that it cost you a couple minutes.
The thing is, I was pacing for 2:59:xx so it wouldn't have mattered what the conditions were... I'll never know what could have been... but it was a warm day!


@Chris M wrote:That's a big bold goal as the best ones always are!  Please keep us posted as you start working your way towards it.
Of course, sir... hopefully, you'll help keep me honest (and smart!)...

Admin
Admin

Posts : 889
Points : 3987
Join date : 2011-06-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2:47:59

Post  Admin on Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:52 pm

Well, today I was happy to pick up a new running partner from the office... 26 year old blonde-haired, blue-eyed graphic artist from the marketing department.  Quite a looker.  We went out for an easy 4 miler over lunch.

I also play in a softball league with some guys from the office.  Some of the top dogs (CEO, CIO, and a couple of other VPs).  I get back to the office from the lunch run and I run into the CIO.  He pulls me into his office and says "Matt, I have to tell you... me and George (CEO) and Jeremy and Bob (other softball teammates) were driving back from lunch we saw this girl running and Jeremy said 'that looks like Josey'... and then we all went 'And that's Manning with her!'"

Funny... they were quite jealous.  Laughing 

Anyway, I'm at 31 miles so far this week and all is well.  Slow and steady...

Admin
Admin

Posts : 889
Points : 3987
Join date : 2011-06-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2:47:59

Post  fostever on Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:17 pm

@Mr MattM wrote:Hey Ben!  My PR is from Chicago '10 - 2:59:35.  I paced it pretty well and some think I could have been a couple of minutes faster on a better day if I'd been aggressive.  I don't know about that.

I do view my goal as possible, but unlikely.  I'm not blowing smoke up my own rear end... or anyone else's.  Laughing 

I plan to post here quite a bit.  I'm interested in finding out what I can still do... I'm pretty old, you know... Twisted Evil
That day ended in the mid-eighties. Either you run hot well or you have a lot of room to best it on a cooler day! Good luck on the training and execution.
avatar
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1343
Points : 5456
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 59
Location : Chicago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2:47:59

Post  Admin on Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:08 pm

@fostever wrote:That day ended in the mid-eighties. Either you run hot well or you have a lot of room to best it on a cooler day! Good luck on the training and execution.
Well, I finished early enough that I didn't suffer the really oppressive heat... but yeah, it wasn't ideal conditions.  There's just no way to quantify it relative to my fitness at the time.  I had fully intended to continue training/improving and race more marathons, but things went a different direction and I haven't been in 'race shape' since.

Thanks for the well-wishes as I get this ship turned around!

Admin
Admin

Posts : 889
Points : 3987
Join date : 2011-06-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2:47:59

Post  Penelope on Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:36 pm

What is this 2 hours + age business? Never heard that one.  I like the idea, but for me, I'd have to modify it to 3 hours + age.  3:32 marathon.....maybe someday if I train like crazy for it. 
Well, have fun with your new beautiful running partner....do we need to be worried about her? Smile
Nice running! I like the idea of setting big / lofty goals--that much sweeter when you reach them.
avatar
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Posts : 412
Points : 3377
Join date : 2011-06-22
Age : 37
Location : Chicago

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2:47:59

Post  Admin on Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:35 am

Thanks, Penelope! I don't think anyone needs to worry about my co-worker. If I were to pursue her I'd feel like I needed to add my name to one of those registries... Shocked 

Yeah, lofty goals are cool, but double-edged. Luckily, I'm a realist.

Admin
Admin

Posts : 889
Points : 3987
Join date : 2011-06-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2:47:59

Post  Chris M on Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:57 am

@Penelope wrote:What is this 2 hours + age business? Never heard that one.  
Tell her about "Moose Mugs", Matt.
avatar
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1061
Points : 3876
Join date : 2011-06-14
Age : 49
Location : Washington, DC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2:47:59

Post  Admin on Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:13 am

@Chris M wrote:
@Penelope wrote:What is this 2 hours + age business? Never heard that one.  
Tell her about "Moose Mugs", Matt.
Without the whole context of RWOL and Rbbmoose it won't make a lot of sense, but the short version is that there is a guy (older guy who went by the alias Rbbmoose) who used to post a lot on the Runners World forums that set the challenge... run under 2 + age and receive a beautiful custom "Moose Mug" with your name and finish time engraved on it... on his dime.  It spawned it's own thread on the RWOL forums and that's where all of the fast, competitive jerks hang out and talk running.  Rbbmoose (Ray) was a fast SOB.
 
So, that's a real test... running under 2:48 at 48 years old would put me over 81% which is a 'National Class' runner.  That's no small accomplishment!  I'm still in the game... one day at a time.

Admin
Admin

Posts : 889
Points : 3987
Join date : 2011-06-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2:47:59

Post  Admin on Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:20 am

I modified my outline a bit, moving 4 more weeks to the 5k/10k period and cutting back on the latter buildup w/quality. It was suggested that since I've spent so little effort on speed in the past years that it is both my biggest weakness and greatest area of opportunity. I agree.

Admin
Admin

Posts : 889
Points : 3987
Join date : 2011-06-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2:47:59

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:18 am

I think I'll stick with 3hrs + age too, but I'm excited to see you with a new goal Matt.
avatar
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4804
Points : 11431
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 56
Location : Cleveland (Bay Village), OH/Atlanta, GA

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: 2:47:59

Post  mountandog on Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:30 pm

@Mr MattM wrote:
@Chris M wrote:
@Penelope wrote:What is this 2 hours + age business? Never heard that one.  
Tell her about "Moose Mugs", Matt.
Without the whole context of RWOL and Rbbmoose it won't make a lot of sense, but the short version is that there is a guy (older guy who went by the alias Rbbmoose) who used to post a lot on the Runners World forums that set the challenge... run under 2 + age and receive a beautiful custom "Moose Mug" with your name and finish time engraved on it... on his dime.  It spawned it's own thread on the RWOL forums and that's where all of the fast, competitive jerks hang out and talk running.  Rbbmoose (Ray) was a fast SOB.
 
So, that's a real test... running under 2:48 at 48 years old would put me over 81% which is a 'National Class' runner.  That's no small accomplishment!  I'm still in the game... one day at a time.
interesting.  my PR at 55 is 2:58:02.  Will be 57 in November.  Could be a good target for Boston.  Good luck with your plan Matt.  I will follow along.
avatar
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1393
Points : 5701
Join date : 2011-07-14
Age : 61
Location : Michigan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2:47:59

Post  Admin on Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:14 pm

I've run 10 days straight, and managed 13 today (7 and 6)... I have a non-impacting (running-wise) back pain and a swollen right foot joint on my big toe.  Isn't this running stuff just fantastic?  Yes, yes it is... Running

Admin
Admin

Posts : 889
Points : 3987
Join date : 2011-06-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2:47:59

Post  Schuey on Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:27 am

@Mr MattM wrote:I've run 10 days straight, and managed 13 today (7 and 6)... I have a non-impacting (running-wise) back pain and a swollen right foot joint on my big toe.  Isn't this running stuff just fantastic?  Yes, yes it is... Running
Hey Matt best of luck at hitting your goal, it's a worthy one! Funny i hear you on the back pain, I went to bend over and left up my daughter the other day and tweaked my back! Just lovely getting older. Yes, this running stuff is fantastic!


Last edited by Schuey on Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2160
Points : 5585
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 46
Location : So Many Roads To Ease My Soul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2:47:59

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum