365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

iPhone armband

View previous topic View next topic Go down

iPhone armband

Post  Jordan S. on Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:21 am

I use my iPhone while running because of the GPS and to listen to music. Last night the armband that I am using got moisture in it and fried my phone. My phone is now ruined so I need to get a new armband that won't let that happen again. What do y'all suggest?
Jordan S.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: iPhone armband

Post  ounce on Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:12 am

iPod Shuffle.  $49, clips to your shirt, 1 year warranty and the thing wears out before the warranty ends, so you get a free one!  If you buy Best Buy's extended 2 year warranty for $20, you never have to buy another one again.  I'm on my 7th one and have only bought 2.
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:42 am

First off, there's a chance your phone may not be completely dead. Have you tried some of the tricks for getting the moisture out? It might take a day or two, but it's worth a try.

Second, I use a iPhone case by LifeProof (http://www.lifeproof.com/en/iphone-5-fre/). It's taken me and my phone through all sorts of dampness (I live in the Pacific Northwest) without a single problem.

LifeProof also sells armbands (http://www.lifeproof.com/shop/us_en/fitness/lifeproof-armband-swimband/) that hold their cases. They're a little pricey, but if you're going to be out in the weather with your phone, it's probably a good investment.
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jordan S. on Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:37 am

I thought about an iPod Shuffle but I listen to Pandora Radio while I run and I use the GPS that is on my phone so I wouldn't benefit from the Shuffle. I have thought about getting a watch with GPS but I don't know much about them.
Jordan S.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller on Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:25 pm

@Jordan S. wrote:I thought about an iPod Shuffle but I listen to Pandora Radio while I run and I use the GPS that is on my phone so I wouldn't benefit from the Shuffle. I have thought about getting a watch with GPS but I don't know much about them.
I can tell you that Garmin is the trusted GPS watch brand around here and it appears that the hottest new model is the Garmin 620.
T Miller
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope on Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:16 pm

Have you tried putting it in uncooked rice and seeing if it's salvageable?

I also run with my iphone (although I do have a garmin watch that I like far better for GPS purposes).  I have yet to find an armband I like.  Most of them chafe and some haven't secured my phone very well--like the bottom velcro opens up and out it goes.

What I use is a SPI belt.  http://www.spibelt.com/products/spibelt/the-original-spibelt    I love it--best $20 ever. They're often at large race expos, but I bought mine online.  I've had it over a year and love it.  I can put other stuff in there, too, besides an iPhone, like my key, a credit card, and my sports beans for the longer runs, because it stretches.  And unlike every other fuel belt or other carrying thing I've tried, this one is all elastic and literally does not move or ride up.  At all.  And can be worn over shorts so it won't chafe. If you do go the waist route, don't get the Nathan one--I have that one, too, and it rides up no matter how tight you wear it.  The SpiBelt is better.

They make one that's waterproof, but it's not as stretchy so can't hold as much other stuff. I keep my iphone in a rubber case all the time, including when it's in my spibelt, and knock on wood haven't had any problems with moisture.
Penelope
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry on Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:15 pm

I would suggest blue tooth headphone like Jabra, which I use at gym. That would make your choice of carrier easier. Not using wired headphone, you can put the phone in a sealed bag.
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top