365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Time to Pace Others

+26
Michael Enright
Peg Coover
Dave P
KBFitz
Chris M
Mrs. Schuey
Tom H
Mark B
Alex Kubacki
jon c
mul21
JohnP
charles.moman
Neil Ruggiero
Penelope
GregC
fostever
Kenny B.
Michele "1L" Keane
Julie
Nick Morris
healdgator
Seth Harrison
Schuey
John Kilpatrick
Jim Lentz
30 posters

Page 3 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Go down

Time to Pace Others - Page 3 Empty Re: Time to Pace Others

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:57 pm

Tom H wrote:
Jim Lentz wrote:I ran 8 today with 1 @ MP just to remind my legs what that feels like. It was a pretty good run, but because it was low 80s and sunny my HR was high given my pace.

I'll bet that MP mile was extra challenging/rewarding in that weather. Hope that leg is on the mend. Echoing Mark's comment, the TFL is right in that area and I've had similar issues and went to PT where the primary work turned out to to be rolling the entire ITB up into and over the TFL and then higher on the inside of the hip bone (about 2 min) followed by hip flexor stretches on both sides, 3x30secs. Rationale was that the TFL/ITB/Hips are all interconnected, so you need to stretch them all out to allow the TFL to truly stretch and relax when you do the hip flexor work.

I have this same issue on and off and I do exactly what Tom suggested.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:03 pm

I'm guessing that the leg must be feeling better. Good to see it.
Having just turned 50, I get my first colonoscopy next week. I can't say I'm looking forward to it, but you gotta do what you gotta do!
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:03 pm

mul21 wrote:
Jim Lentz wrote:I ran 8 today with 1 @ MP just to remind my legs what that feels like. It was a pretty good run, but because it was low 80s and sunny my HR was high given my pace.

Good deal! How's the leg feeling?

If you're still looking for Bio Freeze, here's the website and you can search for locations near you that sell it:

[url=http://www.biofreeze.com/whereToBuy.aspx
http://www.biofreeze.com/whereToBuy.aspx[/quote[/url]]

It's feeling better and I can feel a couple of definitive knots/scar tissue.

Thanks Jim, I will look for some.

Julie wrote:Great to do a mile at MP. Hopefully you get a nice cool morning for marathon day.

Glad the results were good from your doctor.

Julie, if the marathon weather is anything like today there wouldn't be a PR.

Thanks.

Tom H wrote:

I'll bet that MP mile was extra challenging/rewarding in that weather. Hope that leg is on the mend. Echoing Mark's comment, the TFL is right in that area and I've had similar issues and went to PT where the primary work turned out to to be rolling the entire ITB up into and over the TFL and then higher on the inside of the hip bone (about 2 min) followed by hip flexor stretches on both sides, 3x30secs. Rationale was that the TFL/ITB/Hips are all interconnected, so you need to stretch them all out to allow the TFL to truly stretch and relax when you do the hip flexor work.

It was my second mile and I had planned to do it later in the run, but my legs said"Go for it". Who am I to argue.

I am going to look into what you are describing Tom. I have a prescription from my Dr. for 2 weeks of physical therapy, perhaps I will bring this info with me when I have time for it. I have a class to in VA to teach next week, DC the week after that. Then I am home for a week and another class in DC.

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:
Tom H wrote:

I have this same issue on and off and I do exactly what Tom suggested.

Thanks for confirming the info Michele.

Seth Harrison wrote:I'm guessing that the leg must be feeling better. Good to see it.
Having just turned 50, I get my first colonoscopy next week. I can't say I'm looking forward to it, but you gotta do what you gotta do!
It's not perfect, but getting better. The colonoscopy wasn't bad and honestly being on Coumadin is what made it tough for me. Those shots aren't fun, but I am getting better with them.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:46 pm

Glad to hear the colonoscopy is over, and you're good for another 10 years. Sorry to hear about your neighbor, though. That's a shame. Re: biofreeze, I've seen the generic version at grocery stores and pharmacies. It's called FreezeIt and has the same ingredients as the biofreeze samples I've gotten. All it is is a menthol gel that you rub onto sore spots. It makes them feel cold and helps relieve the hot feeling from the inflammation. I used to have tubes of it at home, at work, in the car, when I was having hip tendinitis, and it did give me temporary relief. That being said, it doesn't treat the underlying problem. Oh, and make sure that if you were contacts, you put them in before you touch the menthol gel. Just sayin' Smile
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:24 pm

Penelope wrote:Glad to hear the colonoscopy is over, and you're good for another 10 years. Sorry to hear about your neighbor, though. That's a shame. Re: biofreeze, I've seen the generic version at grocery stores and pharmacies. It's called FreezeIt and has the same ingredients as the biofreeze samples I've gotten. All it is is a menthol gel that you rub onto sore spots. It makes them feel cold and helps relieve the hot feeling from the inflammation. I used to have tubes of it at home, at work, in the car, when I was having hip tendinitis, and it did give me temporary relief. That being said, it doesn't treat the underlying problem. Oh, and make sure that if you were contacts, you put them in before you touch the menthol gel. Just sayin' Smile
I was told to come back for another one in 7 years. Right now that seems very far off. Peggy and I will be going to the funeral viewing tomorrow evening. It is a shame at just 30 years that she died from colon cancer. I will focus more on taking care of the underlying problem. You also should not put in contacts after cutting up habenero peppers Sad
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:32 pm

I just went back and read about your neighbor. That's very sad. I'm wondering if he had been tested previous to being diagnosed. I forget the numbers, but the odds of surviving with early detection are very high.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:38 pm

Hope the leg slowly but surely does its thing and stops being a pain (no pun intended). The colonoscopy is a scary thing - I lost my Dad a couple of years ago to anal cancer even though he was getting checked regularly due to his colon cancer he had treated a decade earlier. He was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer about 8 months after a colonoscopy - what we gather is the Dr. missed the rectal area on his way in (sounds gross I know). We all know it was an honest mistake and may not of made any difference, but it is something that I will mention to my Dr. when my time comes. That being said, Seth is right in that colonoscopies certainly save a lot of lives.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:36 pm

Seth Harrison wrote:I just went back and read about your neighbor. That's very sad. I'm wondering if he had been tested previous to being diagnosed. I forget the numbers, but the odds of surviving with early detection are very high.

She had previously had colon cancer and decided to forgo chemo that time. It came back a second time, but worse. She thought after the fact that it might have been a mistake to not do it the first time, because a couple of months they gave her 2 months to live.

John Kilpatrick wrote:Hope the leg slowly but surely does its thing and stops being a pain (no pun intended). The colonoscopy is a scary thing - I lost my Dad a couple of years ago to anal cancer even though he was getting checked regularly due to his colon cancer he had treated a decade earlier. He was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer about 8 months after a colonoscopy - what we gather is the Dr. missed the rectal area on his way in (sounds gross I know). We all know it was an honest mistake and may not of made any difference, but it is something that I will mention to my Dr. when my time comes. That being said, Seth is right in that colonoscopies certainly save a lot of lives.

Based on todays run it is getting better. I just have to make sure not to overdo it. Sorry to hear about your Dad, John. I also make sure to use a lot of sun block because skin cancer can be bad too and I have very iight skin and burn easily. My Dad had to have some spots removed not too long ago from his skin. We don't know how, but he had cancer on his penis.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:40 pm

Cancer there? That is brutal. Mom has skin cancer, had breast cancer, and is currently undergoing treatment for lymphoma.

God, cancer sucks!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:58 am

John Kilpatrick wrote:Cancer there? That is brutal. Mom has skin cancer, had breast cancer, and is currently undergoing treatment for lymphoma.

God, cancer sucks!

I hope things go wel for your Mom, John.

It sure does!
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Time to Pace Others - Page 3 Empty Run With Back on My Feet

Post  Jim Lentz Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:00 am

Today I did 13 easy miles with 4 of those being with Team REST of Back on My Feet. I was a bit sore and stiff the first mile or so, but felt better as the miles went by.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:43 pm

Great job getting those 13 miles done, Jim! Did Peggy tell you we saw her out there yesterday? We passed her as she was heading north toward Navy Pier and we were heading south.
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:44 pm

Jim Lentz wrote:Today I did 13 easy miles with 4 of those being with Team REST of Back on My Feet. I was a bit sore and stiff the first mile or so, but felt better as the miles went by.

Catching up from vacation but glad to read you are doing 13 mile runs again. Hope the leg keeps getting better for you Jim. Lisa and I ran past Peggy last night on the trail. Ha to funny Lisa just posted the same thing I just did!

We still on for the Yolk on the 17th?
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:21 am

Mrs. Schuey wrote:Great job getting those 13 miles done, Jim! Did Peggy tell you we saw her out there yesterday? We passed her as she was heading north toward Navy Pier and we were heading south.

Thanks Lisa! Peggy did mention she saw the 2 of you on the lakefront yesterday.

Schuey wrote:
Jim Lentz wrote:Today I did 13 easy miles with 4 of those being with Team REST of Back on My Feet. I was a bit sore and stiff the first mile or so, but felt better as the miles went by.

Catching up from vacation but glad to read you are doing 13 mile runs again. Hope the leg keeps getting better for you Jim. Lisa and I ran past Peggy last night on the trail. Ha to funny Lisa just posted the same thing I just did!

We still on for the Yolk on the 17th?

I hope you two had a great vacation. Thanks, the leg is doing pretty well. She did mention seeing the two of you.

We are going to have to miss Yolk on Sunday, can we reschedule? I will be heading to the DC area.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:32 pm

I got a later flight, Lisa and Martin, let's do Yolk this Sunday!
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:14 pm

Today I ran 8 miles at an average pace of 8:48. My HR was higher than I expected and I felt hotter/sweatier than I should have. It may just be my body getting used to the Coumadin again. It was only mid 70s, sunny, but not too humid.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:43 pm

Jim Lentz wrote:Today I ran 8 miles at an average pace of 8:48. My HR was higher than I expected and I felt hotter/sweatier than I should have. It may just be my body getting used to the Coumadin again. It was only mid 70s, sunny, but not too humid.

Likely the coumadin but you are coming of 13 miles and 8 miles after is no walk in the park. Easy pace or not.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:26 pm

Kenny B. wrote:
Jim Lentz wrote:Today I ran 8 miles at an average pace of 8:48. My HR was higher than I expected and I felt hotter/sweatier than I should have. It may just be my body getting used to the Coumadin again. It was only mid 70s, sunny, but not too humid.

Likely the coumadin but you are coming of 13 miles and 8 miles after is no walk in the park. Easy pace or not.

13 and 8 are girly runs Razz and there was a day of no running between them. We will see how 11 feels tomorrow morning with the Clocktower Runners.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:02 pm

Good luck on the 11, Jim. Here's hoping the weather cooperates.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:18 pm

Mark B wrote:Good luck on the 11, Jim. Here's hoping the weather cooperates.
The 11 went well, if a little sweaty. I saw Martin out there on his birthday doing 17.1 miles.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:00 am

Yesterday Chris, Kevin and I went to a nice trail in the DC area. We ran 3 miles out and back on a very scenic trail. The trail was really nice because there was quite a bit of variety. Chris showed us this beautiful area with waterfalls you have to see to believe. After the run we went to a diner and had some good food. The weather was tough, but Chris was thoughtful and had water and Gatorade waiting for us. Thanks Chris!
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:15 am

Looks like you had a nice time running with Chris and Kevin. That's what it's all about. Different scenery too can make it that much better too.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:48 pm

Alex Kubacki wrote:Looks like you had a nice time running with Chris and Kevin. That's what it's all about. Different scenery too can make it that much better too.
Alex, if I had gone out to run myself I never would have known about this place or found it. Running with Kevin and Chris made it easier, even if the pace was tough given the heat and humidity. There is also the fact that I am a hill wimp from Chicago and there were some definite hills there.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:39 pm

Jim Lentz wrote:
Alex Kubacki wrote:Looks like you had a nice time running with Chris and Kevin. That's what it's all about. Different scenery too can make it that much better too.
Alex, if I had gone out to run myself I never would have known about this place or found it. Running with Kevin and Chris made it easier, even if the pace was tough given the heat and humidity. There is also the fact that I am a hill wimp from Chicago and there were some definite hills there.

Hope you are able to get some runs in on the W&OD before you head back to Chicago. Thinking about it from where you will be running from, it will be a better run to head WEST first (away from DC). There's a large hill right near where you will start which is no fun but there's a lot less road crossings going that way and its a more peaceful uncrowded portion of the W&OD.

Great seeing you and running with you yesterday. Let's get the DC run details worked out for next week.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:02 pm

Jim, let Chris and I know where you'll be staying in DC and what type of run you would like to do. We've got some nice shaded trails in Rock Creek Park (where our elite Ethiopians train) and of course we have the National Mall (mostly unshaded). Early mornings are best for any type of run this time of year ... but state your preferences and we'll come up with something to satisfy. Cheers!
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 8 ... 14  Next