365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Freakin' bizarre end to a half marathon

+3
Michele "1L" Keane
Mark B
dot520
7 posters

Go down

Freakin' bizarre end to a half marathon Empty Freakin' bizarre end to a half marathon

Post  dot520 Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:03 pm

I'm writing this is the health/injury board instead of the race report area because I'd love to know if this has happened to anyone. 

Situation:

I'm running the Monumental Half marathon today and somewhere around mile 11.75 my left IT band seizes up (I didn't feel any twinges coming on) and I can barely bend my leg.  I finish the race doing the skip/hop/jog step to the finish losing at least a minutes time.  I get the finish, take a few steps and nearly collapse since the left leg decides to go out on me.  I've had this happen before with IT problems so no big deal  with the exception of some well meaning med gal trying to save me.  Here is the bizarre thing....

About  20-30 steps into the chute, the IT band problem totally disappears.  I mean it's non existent, I'm walking regular, no twinge, no hobbling.  If I had known that just walking through a water stop would reset the IT band I would have had a better finish.  Has this happened to anyone???
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Freakin' bizarre end to a half marathon Empty Re: Freakin' bizarre end to a half marathon

Post  Mark B Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:08 pm

No, it hasn't happened to me... but wow! That's definitely a rotten way to end a race.

Good luck figuring it out.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Freakin' bizarre end to a half marathon Empty Re: Freakin' bizarre end to a half marathon

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:25 pm

No but it might have been a combination of dehydration and cold. My lower back/diaphragm seized up when I finished and suddenly I could barely walk through the chute. Hobbled through, drank, and put on dry clothes. Sat for a few minutes in the sun and then I was fine and still am. Odd as well
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Gobbles Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:21 pm

A bit like Michele, I've had the pain (back, hamstrings, etc.) that completely go away after a few minutes of quitting.
This almost exclusively happens when I am sick, or about to be sick.
Gobbles
Gobbles
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  wrichman Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:26 am

dot520 wrote:I'm writing this is the health/injury board instead of the race report area because I'd love to know if this has happened to anyone. 

Situation:

I'm running the Monumental Half marathon today and somewhere around mile 11.75 my left IT band seizes up (I didn't feel any twinges coming on) and I can barely bend my leg.  I finish the race doing the skip/hop/jog step to the finish losing at least a minutes time.  I get the finish, take a few steps and nearly collapse since the left leg decides to go out on me.  I've had this happen before with IT problems so no big deal  with the exception of some well meaning med gal trying to save me.  Here is the bizarre thing....

About  20-30 steps into the chute, the IT band problem totally disappears.  I mean it's non existent, I'm walking regular, no twinge, no hobbling.  If I had known that just walking through a water stop would reset the IT band I would have had a better finish.  Has this happened to anyone???

Same thing happened to me around mile 19 of my first marathon. I ran/hobbled for a few blocks and then it just went away and I finished in a good time. It was very sore and painful for weeks after though. Was in PT for a few weeks. Hope you're ok!
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:44 am

It's good to hear that I'm not the only one who has strange things happen like this.  I haven't felt a twinge since so I guess I'm good to go.  Michele, you may speak some truth there as I might have been slightly dehydrated toward the end.  The 3rd and 5th mile aid stations were a fuster cluck.  Very unorganized which is unusual and I probably just didn't get enough liquids.  Fortunately it was a training run for me and I'm good to go for the next half on Dec 15th in Indy.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:08 am

This just happened to me last Thursday.  ITB on my knee got so wonky that I could barely put weight on the leg - and it was painful when I did.  COMPLETELY went away 10 minutes after finishing.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff F Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:18 pm

Dot,

This happened to me in my first marathon, Chicago 2006.  Around the half my left ITB seized up, never happened in training.  I walked, hobbled and ran through mile 15-16 when it loosened up and I was able to run pain free.  Around mile 23-24 I stopped to walk through the aid station and it seized up again.  I was determined to not walk in so I hobbled for about another 1/2 mile and it loosened up again and I was able to run through the finish.  Not quite the same but similar.
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down