365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does pollution counteract exercise?

4 posters

Go down

Does pollution counteract exercise? Empty Does pollution counteract exercise?

Post  JohnP Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:53 pm

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/fitness/dirty-air-affecting-your-health-pedal-harder/article15212543/

This is a good article. I often wondered about this as I run along roads with hundreds of cars and their exhaust. But it looks like exercise trumps pollution.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Does pollution counteract exercise? Empty Re: Does pollution counteract exercise?

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:14 am

Thanks for sharing, John.  Makes me feel better after running in lots of smog in Atlanta.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Does pollution counteract exercise? Empty Re: Does pollution counteract exercise?

Post  Penelope Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:48 pm

I heard an interesting lecture from a pulmonologist 2 years ago on this topic.  He said that poor air quality is linked to a lot of negative cardiovascular outcomes too.

My take on it is: nobody gets out of here alive no matter what we do or don't do, so keep on running
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:07 pm

Vancouver has pollution? Those soft Canadians.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:36 pm

Jerry wrote:Vancouver has pollution? Those soft Canadians.
I'm in Toronto this week and the air quality is very high.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down