365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Part 1 of 3 parts to BQ

Page 6 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Part 1 of 3 parts to BQ

Post  Peg Coover on Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:12 pm

@Julie wrote:Have a good day off, for me, running 10-11 miles midweek just make the first 11 miles of the marathon so much easier, mentally and physically because you do them every week, no big deal. If your legs feel a little trashed you might partly blame the marathon you ran less than a week ago, too, don't you think?

How long is your long run this wkend?

I hope that bumping up to Int II this time will help me with that in the marathon this time, Julie!

Alex, awesome running. Wow, you are doing just great!
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

View user profile http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:19 am

Thanks Julie, Jon, Mike, Peg. John - I don't think the goal time is conservative. My biggest weakness is holding speed over the long distances. It's a different world past 20.

Monday - 5M. Easy. Still feeling it from the weekend.

Tuesday Lunch - 8M 6x600m Intervals. It was nice to open the legs up and go.

Tuesday Evening - 4M Recovery. About half way I started smelling a BBQ somewhere. At that point I just wanted to get home and eat.

Today will be 10M. This is a step back week, first one in over a month. I'm doing a race this weekend on Sunday. It's the Falmouth Road Race. I love this race. It's 7.1M that has a lot of elite runners in it.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:38 am

Enjoy the race this weekend! If you don't think your goal is conservative, then stick with it and if you feel like speeding up the last few miles go for it!
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:43 pm

Thanks Julie. Should be fun.

Wednesday - 10M GA. Honestly I was a little shocked at how well this went. After the long on Saturday, the MP on Sunday, and Intervals on Tuesday I expected to be dead for this. And in fact I was tired all day. But after less than a mile I was in cruising mode. Then about 3M in I look at my watch and saw I was at MP. I had to keep slowing myself down the rest of the way. I really couldn't believe it.

Thursday - 6M Easy. Made sure I went very slow on this one.

Tomorrow will be a no running day with some resistance training. I'll do some easy miles on Saturday then my race on Sunday. Next week is the big week for me.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:54 am

Saturday - 5M Easy.

Sunday AM - 7.1M Race. I put up a race report. Had a great time. Ran two miles back to where I was staying after.

Sunday PM - 4M Recovery.

Monday AM - 15M. LSD. I started bonking a bit towards the end. I guess I didn't replenish enough on Sunday. I couldn't believe it.

Monday PM - 4M Recovery. At least I had plenty of food in me for this one.

This is my big week. I'll hit 70M for the first time and on Saturday I'll have my final test. 18M w/14 @ MP. Can't wait.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. on Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:09 am

Great looking week ahead for you.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c on Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:45 am

Glad you did well for another week! Hope that things go smoothly leading up to your weekend test. Keep it up!
jon c
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:30 am

Thanks Kenny and Jon.

Tuesday Lunch - 6M Easy. This was a feel run. My legs were still a little trashed from the race and 15M so I took this easy.

Tuesday Evening - 4M Easy. First time I've done three straight days of doubles.

Today will be 11M GA.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c on Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:47 am

The more you do the doubles, the more your body will adapt to them as long as the pace isn't too hard especially on run 2. Great job!
jon c
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz on Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:14 am

How does 3 days of doubles feel Alex?
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:32 am

wow looks like a challenging week! I hope your long run with MP goes great with good weather, too.
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. on Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:51 pm

Enjoy the GA!
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue on Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:09 pm

Looks like the plan is working good for you, Alex...fun reading your workouts!
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

View user profile http://oceanbreeze-lake-erie.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick on Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:28 pm

@Jim Lentz wrote:How does 3 days of doubles feel Alex?

I'm curious too - you have been putting in a lot of miles - impressive! I hope you nail your Sat. run!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:23 am

@jon c wrote:The more you do the doubles, the more your body will adapt to them as long as the pace isn't too hard especially on run 2. Great job!

Thanks Jon. I was amazed at how quickly I adapted to the doubles. I enjoy them.

Jim, my legs were a little tired but I think I handled them pretty good. Thanks.

@Julie wrote:wow looks like a challenging week! I hope your long run with MP goes great with good weather, too.

Thanks Julie. Yeah this is my big week. I think we're a week apart with our Sept marathons so this week my big one.

@Kenny B. wrote:Enjoy the GA!

Thanks Kenny.

@Paula Sue wrote:Looks like the plan is working good for you, Alex...fun reading your workouts!

Thanks Paula Sue. This has been a big step up for me so hopefully it pans out.

@John Kilpatrick wrote:

I'm curious too - you have been putting in a lot of miles - impressive! I hope you nail your Sat. run!

Thanks John. I hope so too. I'm kind anxious for it.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:27 am

Wednesday - 11M GA. Well the start of this was horrible. My legs were just dead. But after a mile or so they woke up and I was able to hit the paces I wanted. The last four days I've gone 53M which is almost what my peak week was last cycle.

Today will be a non-running day with some core work. I think my legs will be happy for the break.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:40 am

Whew, 53 in four days. As someone who ramped up my mileage recently, I'll just offer a "keep this in the back of your mind" piece of advice: when people say don't up the mileage and intensity simultaneously, there's a reason for it. You can do pretty much whatever crazy stuff you want for 3-4 weeks, but then it'll catch up to you. Keep racking up those miles and run smart.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:45 pm

Yes our marathons are a week apart, mine's on the 18th. This is an intense portion of the training cycle. Just be careful and be smart! Glad the legs woke up for your GA run today and enjoy the rest day. I bet the next day's run will feel all the better for it.
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:22 am

Thanks for the advice Mike. I did have a step back week last week so I think that'll help.

Thanks Julie. You're right it has been an intense time in the training. Almost there though.

Friday - 7M Easy. Well this was such a blah run. These 4am runs get old after a while.

Ok so tomorrow is it. The final big test. 18 with 14 @ MP. The humidity has made it's way back so I'll just have to deal with it. I'm excited for the run though.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M on Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:07 pm

Ok, I haven't followed your training or blog before, Alex. Your report on Falmouth got me to come over here and take a look because I figured you were gearing up for like a 3:10 marathon. 3:35?!?! Sorry, man, but that is SANDBAGGING! I mean this as a compliment but you can JOG a 3:35 right now. You just went sub7 pace at Falmouth and look at all the mileage you've been doing.

Am I right that you need a 3:25 and you would then be able to run Boston 2012? You could absolutely do that RIGHT NOW.

I liked your 3 part plan but you are not giving yourself enough credit for how fast you can run long distances right now.
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:25 pm

Thanks Chris. As I'm still fairly new to the marathon my biggest weakness is holding speed over the bigger distances. That's why I'm hoping this cycle is the beginning of helping with that. I figure it'll take a couple of cycles to get the full benefits.

Later this year I turn 45 which is when 3:25 kicks in for me. So the spring would be the first shot at that.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:10 pm

@Alex Kubacki wrote:Thanks Chris. As I'm still fairly new to the marathon my biggest weakness is holding speed over the bigger distances. That's why I'm hoping this cycle is the beginning of helping with that. I figure it'll take a couple of cycles to get the full benefits.

Later this year I turn 45 which is when 3:25 kicks in for me. So the spring would be the first shot at that.

Don't worry Alex you are 100% correct that in time you will reap the benefits. The weakness you stated about not holding a pace over the marathon distance has to do with a in my mind 1. aerobic fitness and 2. doing more threshold workouts (eq. Tempos)

So there is no doubt in my mind that the longer you train over the years you will develop a bigger aerobic engine which in return will help with not only the marathon distances but even the shorter distances. As you continue to do your LT workouts you will be able to hold a faster pace for a longer period of time.

Most people have the problem you have they can run faster times in the shorter distances that point to a certain marathon time but can't achieve it yet due to the aerobic base in my opinion.

I'm one of those people that is on the opposite side of things. All my shorter distances race times point to me running anywhere from a 2:55 to 3:xx marathon time. Not isn't that funny because my marathon PR is 2:49:16. So you see if I wanted to get better or have my shorter race distance times match my marathon time I would I have to spend more time on speed work.

For me I love running the longer distance races so I keep training in the way that I feel is best for me to achieve what I want at those distances and then I run the shorter distances for fun.

So again bottom line is if continue to work on your aerobic fitness, LT type of runs and stay consistent with building mileage there is no doubt you will start to see yourself holding a faster pace for a longer time at the marathon distance.
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:29 am

Thanks Martin. Consistency along with the right training and I just need to keep at it.

Saturday - 18M w/14 x MP. So this was the final test for me. The first four I went easy then I took a deep breath and let it go. I averaged 7:53 for the 14. Heart rate I was fine. It's just going to be a question of whether the legs can hold this for the 26.

Sunday - 6M Recovery. It took a couple of miles for the legs to wake up.

And thus concludes my first 70M week.

Today will be 5M easy.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:17 am

Monday - 5M Easy. Went easy again from Saturday's big run and knowing Tuesday and Wednesday would be hard.

Tuesday Lunch - 9M 5X1M with .25M interval. Honestly I planned an interval workout and noticed Chris and Jim doing 6x1M so I decided to do it. I only had time for 5 and not the 6 they did. I did them at 10K pace with MP for the interval. This was done on the roads as I couldn't get to a track. Good workout.

Tuesday Evening - 4M Recovery.

Today will be 12M GA.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:08 am

So, it would appear you're underestimating your 10K pace because there's no way you should be able to do repeats like that with a 400m interval at MP. Which is good news, because that means you're faster than you think you are and that's still a really, really good workout! What did you run the repeats in?
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top