365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Part 1 of 3 parts to BQ

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Part 1 of 3 parts to BQ

Post  Peg Coover on Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:46 pm

Very nice mileage week! You are looking strong--great to be enjoying the training too!
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

View user profile http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:05 pm

How far did you go on the 3:30 run? The 7 at GA the next day might be tempting fate with regard to injury. You may want to think about something a little shorter/easier the day after a long run like that (especially that long).
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:32 am

Peg Coover wrote:Very nice mileage week! You are looking strong--great to be enjoying the training too!

Thanks Peg. This is what's its all about.

mul21 wrote:How far did you go on the 3:30 run? The 7 at GA the next day might be tempting fate with regard to injury. You may want to think about something a little shorter/easier the day after a long run like that (especially that long).

Jim, I was on the slow side of LSD so it was probably around 22. I didn't have my GPS on. My Sunday runs I always go by feel. I monitor myself very closely on this one. Because I didn't push it on Saturday I recovered really well after.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:36 am

Monday - 5M Recovery. It was a little warm out but it was only a recovery run so not big deal.

Today is a double. 9M Tempo, includes warm up and cool down, at lunch and 4M Recovery this evening. It's already getting hot out so it'll be a tad nasty. I'll start the tempo portion conservative and see how it goes.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:56 am

Glad you already feel recovered from your long run! I hope your double goes well today. One of these weeks it will cool down.
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. on Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:21 am

Good luck on the tempo. they are a tough motha' to do in humid hot weather. Don't be shy to slow out down a bit.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:34 am

Thanks Kenny and Julie.

Tuesday Lunch: 9M Tempo including warmup & cooldown (relative on cooldown). Very hot & humid. I knew I couldn't sustain HMP without wiping myself out for a few days. So I ended up averaging MP-10sec for the tempo portion. Not great but oh well.

Tuesday evening - 4M Recovery. Still above 90. I made sure I was pounding fluids for the rest of the afternoon after the run at lunch. I felt fine.

Today will be 11M GA.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:07 am

I'm glad you got your fluids. I think that is what saved me on Monday was all the water I drank when I stopped at home to pick up my little girl.
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:47 pm

Alex Kubacki wrote:Thanks Kenny and Julie.

Tuesday Lunch: 9M Tempo including warmup & cooldown (relative on cooldown). Very hot & humid. I knew I couldn't sustain HMP without wiping myself out for a few days. So I ended up averaging MP-10sec for the tempo portion. Not great but oh well.

Tuesday evening - 4M Recovery. Still above 90. I made sure I was pounding fluids for the rest of the afternoon after the run at lunch. I felt fine.

Today will be 11M GA.

Great job on you weekly mileage!

Also great job on the tempo run, I like the fact that you realized in this hot weather that it is hard to hold those fast paces. You did a great job to decided to slow it down some but still got the benefits. So I won't say that it wasn't great Alex. I do 1 of 2 things on hot days with I have tempo run. 1. I will keep the pace the same but run less miles at Tempo or 2. do what you did I will still run the same number of miles but I will slow the pace to match the weather.

Keep up the good work buddy.
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:20 am

Julie wrote:I'm glad you got your fluids. I think that is what saved me on Monday was all the water I drank when I stopped at home to pick up my little girl.

Years ago I had to go to the hospital for dehydration. Since then I try to make sure I pound fluids as much as I can. Of course the downside is I'm usually hitting the bathroom frequently or pit stops along running routes.

Schuey wrote: Great job on you weekly mileage!

Also great job on the tempo run, I like the fact that you realized in this hot weather that it is hard to hold those fast paces. You did a great job to decided to slow it down some but still got the benefits. So I won't say that it wasn't great Alex. I do 1 of 2 things on hot days with I have tempo run. 1. I will keep the pace the same but run less miles at Tempo or 2. do what you did I will still run the same number of miles but I will slow the pace to match the weather.

Keep up the good work buddy.

Thank you sir. On the tempo with my weekness being endurance I would rather maintain the miles and slow it down a little during weather conditions then reduce the mileage and maintain the speed.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:26 am

Wednesday - 11M GA. My stomach didn't like this run at all which was a shame because with a break in the humidity my legs were feeling pretty good. With the humidity break I had planned to do the last two miles at MP just to make up slightly for the reduced pace on Tuesday's tempo because of the conditions. There was no way I could do it as running faster made it worse.

Today is a no running day. I did some core work before work. Tomorrow I'll do 8M early morning.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:41 pm

Hope your stomach feels better for the next run. Any ideas why it wasn't happy?

I was hospitalized once for dehydration. I forget all the terms but too much water, low potassium and sodium. I was sick sick sick for quite a while.
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick on Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:05 pm

I had the same (stomach) thing yesterday with no real explanation. Hopefully tomorrow is back to normal. I wonder if running in the heat offers a real benefit or just makes us suffer more and run more slowly? I have read that some of the elites train with ice vests, but I think there may at least be a mental benefit to running in the heat - when it gets cool I feel like I will be able to go a little faster (whether that is true or not I have no idea).

Good work on the runs. Two a days are impressive!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:48 am

Julie & John - I had something for lunch that day that I normally don't eat. I'm pretty sure that was it. Live and learn.

Friday - 8M Easy. Great weather. Felt good. Much better than last Friday when I just didn't want to be out there.

Tomorrow is 20M. It'll be my first back to back 20's. I'm looking forward to it.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover on Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:27 am

Great running Alex, in spite of the heat and stomach issues. Remind me, what state do you live in?

I wonder too if you get any kind of extra training benefit out of these hot punishing runs!
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

View user profile http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:44 am

I guess the moral of the story is don't eat that before the marathon?

Best wishes on your 20 miler. I hope the weather is tolerable for you.
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:06 am

Peg Coover wrote:Great running Alex, in spite of the heat and stomach issues. Remind me, what state do you live in?

I wonder too if you get any kind of extra training benefit out of these hot punishing runs!

Thanks Peg. I live in MA which hasn't gotten the insanity you all have gotten but we were in the 90's earlier this week and will be again this weekend. I believe running in it gives you some strength as the body adapts. Then when you get a cool day you fly.

Julie wrote:I guess the moral of the story is don't eat that before the marathon?

Best wishes on your 20 miler. I hope the weather is tolerable for you.

Thanks Julie. Yeah this is what training is all about, finding out what works and doesn't work even with regular meals.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:08 am

I always want to believe that running in the heat and humidity helps us for the fall. When I go back to Atlanta in late August, it usually only takes me a few days to adapt because I run later here so it is warmer and more humid already.

Where in Mass are you?
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:25 am

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Where in Mass are you?

Michele I'm on the western side in Longmeadow. I grew up though in Millis which is near Hopkinton. At one point or another I've lived in pretty much every area of the state including the Cape.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. on Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:47 pm

Alex your tempo run the other day was perfectly executed IMO. It takes discipline to follow what the soul already knows in this case slow it down a bit but get the mileage in. If you ran with HR monitor you would probably see your HR was in the zone it needs to be for a tempo run. This is the beauty for me running based on HR. It is not always about pace.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:31 am

Saturday - 20M LSD. Did this run with Neil R. It was a good run. Of course he could have dropped me at any time but was kind enough not to.

Sunday - 7M Easy. After two of my highest week mileage ever and back to back 20M weekends for the first time my legs were a little tired on this one.

Things are getting moved up a day this week to account for my Friday night training marathon next Friday. And because of work I'll do my mini-long before my tempo instead of the other way around. Today will be 11M.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. on Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:47 am

Posting some nice runs. Very cool to run with a fellow 365Runner.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:56 am

Thanks Kenny.

Monday - 11M Easy. Took a few miles to get going here. Once I did I felt pretty good. I forgot to put on some body glide as it was humid and then started raining. So when I got done I had some good rashes on me.

Today is a double. 9M Tempo at lunch and 4M recovery after work. Should be around 90 again for the tempo so we'll see how it goes.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:07 am

Tuesday Lunch - 9M Tempo. Warm up and cool down included. Hot & Humid of course. Felt like crap the first part but then I started feeling better. Overall I hit my splits for the most part. I did keep it at the slower portion of the tempo range McMillin has. I was pretty happy with it after.

Tuesday after work - 4M Recovery.

No running today. Will do some core work. Tomorrow will be around 6-7M easy. Tomorrow the weather goes to the next level for a few days of upper 90's maybe 100 with dew point in the 70's so we'll see how it is.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:50 pm

Thursday - 7M easy. Did this at lunch. 90's, dew point 70's. Fun.

Tomorrow night is supposed to be test #2 in the plan. I'm supposed to do 16M w/12 @ MP. I'm doing it at night as the following Friday night is my training marathon. Supposed to be flat out gross tomorrow night still. I'm going to have to see how it goes. I might GA the last 12 or MP the last 3 or 4. Something.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top