365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Part 1 of 3 parts to BQ

Page 4 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Part 1 of 3 parts to BQ

Post  Julie on Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:52 pm

You're putting in good workouts/runs even with the heat and humidity. I know it'll all pay off. Hang in there while you're waiting for the heat wave to leave.
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:23 pm

Friday night - 16M. [email=4@LSD]4@LSD[/email], [email=4@GA]4@GA[/email], [email=8@MP]8@MP[/email]. This was supposed to be 16 w/12 @MP but that wasn't happening with the weather. It was still almost 100 when I left. But once the sun started going down it was cooling off enough for me to up the pace. I couldn't keep up with the fluids though. I was just losing too much even with SCaps. This was a night long run because next Friday night is my training marathon.

Saturday - 5M recovery. Really didn't sleep more than an hour Friday night. This is why I don't like running at night much. So of course I'm doing a night marathon.

Sunday - 7M. Easy. I never look at the watch on these. Felt decent. Still really humid.

Tomorrow is a double.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. on Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:42 pm

16 in that weather with the progression is awesome. Great job enjoy the double dip tomorrow.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick on Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:13 pm

@Alex Kubacki wrote:Friday night - 16M. [email=4@LSD]4@LSD[/email], [email=4@GA]4@GA[/email], [email=8@MP]8@MP[/email]. This was supposed to be 16 w/12 @MP but that wasn't happening with the weather. It was still almost 100 when I left. But once the sun started going down it was cooling off enough for me to up the pace. I couldn't keep up with the fluids though. I was just losing too much even with SCaps. This was a night long run because next Friday night is my training marathon.

Saturday - 5M recovery. Really didn't sleep more than an hour Friday night. This is why I don't like running at night much. So of course I'm doing a night marathon.

Sunday - 7M. Easy. I never look at the watch on these. Felt decent. Still really humid.

Tomorrow is a double.

I am totally impressed (and jealous) of your 16 Alex! In these conditions, there is no way I could pull that off. I went for a morning run this morning and had to just hang on to get through a 15. Great running.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:17 pm

great 16 miler! You're going to have a great race!
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:40 pm

Alex great 16 miler in the heat buddy. I know it is hard to not be able to do a planned workout because of the weather but even though you changed it and ran slower that is fine. I look at it this way 16 miles in 100F heat to me is like running 20 to 22 miles. The effort it takes to run in the heat is that much greater. Keep up the solid training and you will feel the benefits when the weather cools off.

Looking forward to your night marathon training run.
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:18 am

Not sure how you guys are running the long ones given the conditions we are all dealing with. Guess I just don't have the mental fortitude as I just keep crashing around 13. Nice going!
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 on Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:52 pm

Michele's right, running in that stuff is nuts! No idea how you handle it. My body refuses to cooperate. Looks like a really good weekend of running and I hope the conditions are a bit better next Friday night for the marathon. Oh, and get some sleep, would ya? It's a very important part of training honestly.
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:33 am

@Kenny B. wrote:16 in that weather with the progression is awesome. Great job enjoy the double dip tomorrow.

Thanks Kenny. I've really taken to enjoying the doubles.

@John Kilpatrick wrote:[I am totally impressed (and jealous) of your 16 Alex! In these conditions, there is no way I could pull that off. I went for a morning run this morning and had to just hang on to get through a 15. Great running.

You could have pulled it off living where you live and the training you do. Thanks.

@Julie wrote:great 16 miler! You're going to have a great race!

Thanks Julie. I hope so. Even though its a training run it's still 26M so I'll be a little anxious.

@Schuey wrote:Looking forward to your night marathon training run.

Thanks Martin. As I mentioned to Julie I always get anxious for the 26 even knowing I'm going slow and easy.

@Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Not sure how you guys are running the long ones given the conditions we are all dealing with. Guess I just don't have the mental fortitude as I just keep crashing around 13. Nice going!

Thanks Michele. As this was an evening turned night run it was cooling down as I ran so it was in the mid-80's by the time I was done.

@mul21 wrote:Oh, and get some sleep, would ya? It's a very important part of training honestly.

This is always my biggest issue. I can be an isomniac sometimes which really sucks.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:37 am

Tuesday Lunch - 8M. Threw in 3 @ MP. Legs weren't there for the first half again but they were waking up as I went.

Tuesday evening - 4M. Recovery. About mid way through my spring cycle I started incorporating a double. The first few times I did them my legs were like what are you doing. Now I absolutely love doing them. My legs have really adapted to them.

Today will be 10M GA.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick on Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:20 am

Are you tapering at all for this weekend?

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c on Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:42 am

Alex, finally caught up on reading your blog. I agree with those who say with your half time you definitely should have a good shot at your BQ. And reading how your training has been going, I have no doubt that you are training on tired legs which should help you immeasurably the last 10K of the full. The biggest issue of course is staying injury free and hopefully peaking your training. Looks like you are on track thus far. Keep it up!
jon c
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. on Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:12 am

I do doubles every other week right now did it last cycle and I have to love doing them especially when it is 90+ outside. Can I borrow your legs for the afternoon?

Nice job enjoy the 10m
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:44 am

@John Kilpatrick wrote:Are you tapering at all for this weekend?

No tapering on the mileage. One thing I did do was change my tempo at HMP to 3 @ MP.

@jon c wrote:Alex, finally caught up on reading your blog. I agree with those who say with your half time you definitely should have a good shot at your BQ. And reading how your training has been going, I have no doubt that you are training on tired legs which should help you immeasurably the last 10K of the full. The biggest issue of course is staying injury free and hopefully peaking your training. Looks like you are on track thus far. Keep it up!

Thanks Jon. My legs are definately a little tired right. But this is what I'm hoping will help for my BQ attempts next year as I'll hit the new age group at the end of this year.

@Kenny B. wrote:I do doubles every other week right now did it last cycle and I have to love doing them especially when it is 90+ outside. Can I borrow your legs for the afternoon?

I'm not sure you want mine at the moment as they're a little tired. If you just need them for a recovery run then they'll be fine for you. Smile
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:09 pm

Have a good 10 miler. You do sound really strong with all your doubles and everything else you have going for you.

Have you ever run a marathon as a training run before? I wonder if it'll be a challenge to hold yourself back. I ran Fargo "just for fun" 20 days after running Lincoln this May which was my absolute hardest I could run it and it wasn't that bad but if I had to flip flop them and run more slowly the first one I think that would have been more mentally difficult. Please tell me you're taking the day after the marathon as a rest day?
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:08 pm

@Julie wrote:Have you ever run a marathon as a training run before? I wonder if it'll be a challenge to hold yourself back. I ran Fargo "just for fun" 20 days after running Lincoln this May which was my absolute hardest I could run it and it wasn't that bad but if I had to flip flop them and run more slowly the first one I think that would have been more mentally difficult. Please tell me you're taking the day after the marathon as a rest day?

Julie I did a training marathon nine weeks out of my spring marathon. It was a disaster day as it snowed, sleeted, rained and everything mechanically was going wrong with my shoes and sweats. But I think the time on feet really helped.

As for Friday I expect my legs will be tired going in which should curb any desire to run faster than I should. Plus early forecasts are for nasty humidity and dew points in the 70's. Depending on how I feel I may do a short recovery run on Saturday or go for a walk. I will treat myself to a pizza though. Smile
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:35 am

Tuesday - 10M GA. A nasty lightening storm pushed this one inside to the TM. Wow was I completely drenched after. I had to ring out my shorts and socks after. I didn't put any Body Glide on so I have two pretty big rashes now on my inner thigh. I probably ran a little too fast as my TM isn't really calibrated. That won't help for Friday night. Oh well.

Today is a no running day. Just some core work.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:33 am

pizza is good. We usually go out to a buffet with pizza the day of or after a marathon. Just tradition. Very Happy

I'm sure the weather will lend itself to going slower for this marathon. I don't know how people all-out run marathons in the summer. Although one of my friends ran a marathon in Alaska a few weeks ago and said the weather was perfect..
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:44 pm

Julie, the weather and my tired legs will absolutely make for a slow marathon. That's ok.

Thursday - 6M Easy. Well tomorrow night is my training marathon. One last run in to make sure my legs are good and tired for this. We'll see how it goes.

I am concerned though as they're calling for scattered TStorms and probable rain. The last thing I need is for this to be cut short or something. If for some reason this doesn't go down then I'm planning on 24M Saturday morning. I really hope it doesn't come to that though.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:41 pm

Have fun tomorrow night. Rain and Tstorms actually sound kind of exciting... Then again, we RARELY get the latter over here, so the whole "this isn't safe" thing has never really kicked in.
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover on Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:11 am

Good luck tonight! Very Happy
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

View user profile http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:34 am

I hope the t-storms don't get in the way. I've run a few marathons where they've just said they'd delay the start if it was storming and nothing ever happened so hopefully you can still run it.
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:38 am

Friday Night - 26.2M. I put a race report up. Not fun but in the end it served it's purpose. Didn't really tax the legs too much.

Saturday - 4M. Recovery. Because the marathon ended about 11:30pm I did this about 11hrs later. Took about a mile to loosen up but it was fine.

Sunday - 7M Easy. I felt fine. My legs were mostly back.

Tonight I'll run 5M easy again and doing a tempo tomorrow.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick on Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:17 am

Holy smokes - after that tough Friday run you were right back at it 11 hrs later? And then a double on Sunday? I'm impressed and glad for you that the marathon didn't leave you too wasted.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c on Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:59 am

Glad your training marathon went well. Sounds like it did what you wanted it to do. Excellent on your recovery the following two days too!
jon c
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top