365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Never thought I would get to this point

+10
mountandog
Mark B
ounce
Michele "1L" Keane
Nick Morris
Schuey
John Kilpatrick
mul21
Jerry
Jordan S.
14 posters

Go down

Never thought I would get to this point Empty Never thought I would get to this point

Post  Jordan S. Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:15 am

I finished my longest training run Saturday. 20 miles!!! I am less than 3 weeks away from my first marathon! Never in a million years did I think I would be running 20 miles, much less running a marathon. Now I just have to make it through these next two weeks of tapering.
Jordan S.
Jordan S.

Back to top Go down

Never thought I would get to this point Empty Re: Never thought I would get to this point

Post  Jerry Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:40 am

Are you sure it is 20?
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Never thought I would get to this point Empty Re: Never thought I would get to this point

Post  mul21 Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:07 pm

Jerry, be nice to the new guy!

Way to go Jordan!  Just don't go out and chop down any trees or do any major home renovations between now and the race and you'll be good to go.

And remember, start SLOW, the race doesn't even really start until mile 20.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:16 pm

mul21 wrote:Jerry, be nice to the new guy!

Way to go Jordan!  Just don't go out and chop down any trees or do any major home renovations between now and the race and you'll be good to go.

And remember, start SLOW, the race doesn't even really start until mile 20.
Alright,good job Jordan. 

Tell you a funny story, I didn't have Garmin for my first two marathon and ran 18 as my 20.

I have marathon in 3 weeks too.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:50 pm

That is awesome Jordan - I remember my first 20 miler too!  Enjoy the ride - it is something that you will remember forever.  Do you have a goal for yourself?  What race are you running?

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:30 pm

Jordan great job! Your post reminds me when I started running again in 2005. I remember going out weekend after weekend being excited that each long run was the furthest I have ever run. Then being amazed that I ran that far! Wait until you finish your first marathon.

If I was to give one piece of advise over the next 2 weeks is do the same workouts that you have done the whole training cycle. The only thing you need to do is lower the weekly mileage. Another words make sure you don't just run every run really slow, keep some intensity in your training. This will help keep your body fresh and you won't feel sluggish on race day. I generally call my taper (Peak Week). And as time goes on and you decide to run more marathons don't be afraid to adjust the number of weeks for taper. I currently only do a 6 to 10 day taper, I find for me that it helps keep me more fresh going into race day.

Anywho GREAT JOB and best of luck with taper and your first marathon!!! Look forward to reading about it!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:35 pm

Good work Jordan!!  You think the feeling of running 20 miles is awesome.  Wait until you cross that finish line on race day!!  As Jim stated don't do anything out of the ordinary during your taper that would jeopardize getting to the start line.  Enjoy the taper!!  Oh, and that anxious felling that you'll have from now until race day is just a part of the taper madness... Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:51 pm

Fantastic!!!!  Taper time and you will have lots of questions, doubts, etc. - we all do, and I've run 40+.  Ask away!!!  What race are you running?  I'm sure you've told us, but I've forgotten.  Jerry is running White Rock and I'm running Tucson in 3 wks.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:56 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Fantastic!!!!  Taper time and you will have lots of questions, doubts, etc. - we all do, and I've run 40+.  Ask away!!!  What race are you running?  I'm sure you've told us, but I've forgotten.  Jerry is running White Rock and I'm running Tucson in 3 wks.
Michele, yes you are a runner but Jerry? I won't call him a runner : )
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:08 pm

Schuey wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Fantastic!!!!  Taper time and you will have lots of questions, doubts, etc. - we all do, and I've run 40+.  Ask away!!!  What race are you running?  I'm sure you've told us, but I've forgotten.  Jerry is running White Rock and I'm running Tucson in 3 wks.
True dat.

Great job, Jordan.  I never finished 20 miles for my 1st one, but I still finished my 1st marathon.

Enjoy the extra sleep!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:56 pm

I never ran a 20 before my first (I was a bandit) or even the first that I trained for, and well, there was no such thing as a running watch let alone a GPS watch.  This is exciting times, Jordan.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:03 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:I never ran a 20 before my first (I was a bandit) or even the first that I trained for, and well, there was no such thing as a running watch let alone a GPS watch.  This is exciting times, Jordan.
Now looking back at it I didn't run a 20 before my first Chicago. Didn't have a a GPS watch, I think I used a timex watch for time and just went off the .50 mile markers on the lakefront. Man GPS watches have opened a lot of doors to run in different locations and have an idea of how far you ran!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jordan S. Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:19 pm

I'm running the St. Jude in Memphis on Dec. 7. I'm excited to say the least! As for goals, my main goal is to just finish since this is my first. Second to that, I would like to finish in under 4 1/2 hours. Not a great time I know, but I've never done anything fast! All of my training runs have been on pace to finish right at the 4 1/2 hour mark so I really hope that I can accomplish that. I just hope that adrenaline will kick in and carry me to the end. I was BEAT after that 20 Saturday!
Jordan S.
Jordan S.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:39 pm

Y
Schuey wrote:
That's insulting. Tell me if I am not a runner, why I ran 20 today?!

And you Schuey, a hiker.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:59 pm

Jerry wrote:Y
Schuey wrote:

And you Schuey, a hiker.
Can you tell that Jerry has Taper Madness early?  lol! lol!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:11 pm

Jordan S. wrote:I'm running the St. Jude in Memphis on Dec. 7. I'm excited to say the least! As for goals, my main goal is to just finish since this is my first. Second to that, I would like to finish in under 4 1/2 hours. Not a great time I know, but I've never done anything fast! All of my training runs have been on pace to finish right at the 4 1/2 hour mark so I really hope that I can accomplish that. I just hope that adrenaline will kick in and carry me to the end. I was BEAT after that 20 Saturday!
There are no "ungreat" times - just roll with what comes and don't sweat it.  Of course, people told me that after my first marathon and I went out too fast and then crashed and burned at mile 20.  Not the first or the last to do that I know!  Good advice about taper - take it easy but not too easy.  Drink plenty, protect against bleeding nipples (seriously), body glide in the right places, don't forget to smile for a picture, and be proud of what you've done so far.  It is a long day, just relax and take it all in. 

Looking forward to your report!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:22 pm

John Kilpatrick wrote:
Jordan S. wrote:I'm running the St. Jude in Memphis on Dec. 7. I'm excited to say the least! As for goals, my main goal is to just finish since this is my first. Second to that, I would like to finish in under 4 1/2 hours. Not a great time I know, but I've never done anything fast! All of my training runs have been on pace to finish right at the 4 1/2 hour mark so I really hope that I can accomplish that. I just hope that adrenaline will kick in and carry me to the end. I was BEAT after that 20 Saturday!
There are no "ungreat" times - just roll with what comes and don't sweat it.  Of course, people told me that after my first marathon and I went out too fast and then crashed and burned at mile 20.  Not the first or the last to do that I know!  Good advice about taper - take it easy but not too easy.  Drink plenty, protect against bleeding nipples (seriously), body glide in the right places, don't forget to smile for a picture, and be proud of what you've done so far.  It is a long day, just relax and take it all in. 

Looking forward to your report!
+1

Congrats on making it through training, Jordan! Time to embrace the lunacy that is taper madness, and have a wonderful first marathon.

One word of warning, however: These things are like potato chips. Once you've done one...
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:47 pm

good luck.  nothing like your first one:D
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  amyjoann Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:57 pm

Woot woot ! 20 is awesome just wait you are going to love 26.2 even more ! Take everything in ,enjoy all those fans, you deserve it you are a rock star on that day .Have something with your name printed on front it's nice to hear your name when you are getting a little tired.Don't forget race report
amyjoann
amyjoann
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:22 pm

All the work is done, now it's time to go out and celebrate your achievement.  Relax.  The race is just the party at the end of your training plan.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:10 pm

Memphis is a fun race. I ran it a few years ago and really enjoyed it. You will be fine, just be sure to take it easy, especially at the start. You might feel like you are going way to slow after getting rested up from the taper, but don't take that as a sign that you should go faster than planned!
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:46 pm

Presuming you have a Garmin and will be spending the night before in Memphis, I would turn it on on Saturday night, so the satellites can capture your signal.  It might ask if you've moved hundreds of miles, since you last turned it on.  And you select yes.

If you're driving to Memphis on Sunday morning, turn it on as soon as you get in the county for the same reason.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:26 pm

Jerry wrote:Y
Schuey wrote:

And you Schuey, a hiker.
HaHaHa Jerry! I'll make a deal with you meet you in Boston and then will see who the hiker is? Very Happy Running StirPot affraid
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim fredericks Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:22 pm

The best is yet to come!
Jim fredericks
Jim fredericks
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down