365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The "In Between"

+11
JohnP
Seth Harrison
nkrichards
Jerry
John Kilpatrick
Michele "1L" Keane
Dave P
Julie
ounce
Mark B
Nick Morris
15 posters

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

The "In Between" - Page 4 Empty Re: The "In Between"

Post  Nick Morris Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:22 pm

This morning was a totally different story, as an arctic front started to make its way into the Midwest from Canada. Temperature in the lower 20s and rapidly falling with winds around 20. To top it off we got some freezing drizzle overnight that made footing extremely slippery. I would have to say the worst that I have had all winter to this point. Worse than the 6 inches of snow that I ran in last weekend. Just horrible...so I shortened my stride and slowed the pace and just tried to find any type of traction. The final results...8.27 miles at an 8:44 pace...the slowest of the year...but not in effort.

To help combat the winter conditions, I purchased a new pair of shoes yesterday. I decided to give New Balance a try, since I haven't worn them since they changed up their design. I went with the MT1010 - Limited Edition. They are a hybrid trail shoe and on clearance. So, at least if I do not like them, I am only out $60.

I am not excited for tomorrow's run, as the high tomorrow is supposed to only be 5 degrees. I am excited, though, to be able to final run the UW Arboretum. I hope the footing is better...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:32 pm

Man, was it cold yesterday.  -8 degrees when I started out on my lap around the UW Arboretum.  The good news was that there was only a 3mph breeze that meant the wind chill was only -10 degrees.  A few extra layers and some hot hands helped keep me warm, for the most part.  My third day of running in a row, so it was nice to get the work in.  Finished the 10k loop (6.28 on the garmin) at an 8:03 pace.  I even got to see some of my turkeys.  The guy below literally ran by me going in t he opposite direction, just 5 feet from me.

The "In Between" - Page 4 Image12

Post run photo...

The "In Between" - Page 4 Image13
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:51 pm

Guess the snow stayed away for you. That's good
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:21 pm

So how many layers and how thick are the shirts in weather like that?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:14 am

ounce wrote:So how many layers and how thick are the shirts in weather like that?

Let's see...here is what I wore:

• heavy crew running socks
    running tights
    thermal long sleeved under armour
    long sleeve tech shirt
    Nike thermal shield jacket
    2 pair of mizuno breath thermal gloves
    hot hands hand warmers
    balaclava
    beanie cap
    sun glasses

Looks like I am going to need this and more on Sunday, the way that the forecast is looking Sad -1 is the high!!

Of course, it is better than Monday, where the forecasted high is -11!!!

Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:25 pm

Headed out for a run today and unfortunately had to cut it short. I think that I have contracted the same bug that I had a few weeks ago and the 0 degree windchill didn't help. My chest felt tight and my stomach a little rumblie. So, I cut it short at 5.5 miles...we'll see how I feel tomorrow and go from there... Sad
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:21 pm

Those are some impressively cold conditions, Nick! I wouldn't worry too much about pace when it gets like this - the extra effort of simply hauling around the extra clothing will pay dividends, not to mention the core workout you're getting as you try to keep from pancaking on the slick surface underfoot.

Sorry your body is rebelling. Hope it feels better tomorrow, because, you know... if it's sub-zero, how can you not go out and run? I mean, you've got a reputation to build! Smile

What's your all-time record for cold runs?
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:34 pm

How does one acclimate the feet to the snow?  Go to a track or other KNOWN surfaces to get some experience?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:45 am

I am just not going outside, no way, under this temperature.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:23 pm

ounce wrote:How does one acclimate the feet to the snow?  Go to a track or other KNOWN surfaces to get some experience?

Doesn't take much practice, Doug. You just head out the door and make the best of it. If you're lucky, the surface is nicely packed and not slippery at all. If you're not, well, your hip muscles get one heck of a workout as your body works overtime to keep from doing the splits.  Shocked 
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:26 pm

ounce wrote:How does one acclimate the feet to the snow?  Go to a track or other KNOWN surfaces to get some experience?

I really feel that running in snow or snowing conditions is similar to trail running. The footing is suspect and you have to pay attention with every step that you take. I would think that spending a little time on a moderately technical trail could help you acclimate the feet to snow.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:27 pm

Mark B wrote:

your hip muscles get one heck of a workout as your body works overtime to keep from doing the splits.  Shocked 

There is definitely truth to this statement Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:31 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
Mark B wrote:

your hip muscles get one heck of a workout as your body works overtime to keep from doing the splits.  Shocked 

There is definitely truth to this statement Smile

I would say the hamstrings and quads get more of a workout from slippery footing in the snow. I find running in the snow much easier than any trail I have run on. The difference to me is the traction of the footing which unless you are running on trails in the snow you really can't experience anywhere else other then running in the snow. So, as Mark has said you just make the best of it slow up the pace and shorten your stride. Just my two cents from my experience of running in the snow.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:42 pm

I agree as the degree of "slippage" in the snow is quite different from any trail running that I have ever done.  However, I feel that if I ran trails more I would adapt quicker to the snow and I wear either yaktrax or Icebug shoes most of the time since it is normally only a light inch or so over ice/packed snow for me which I think is more difficult to negotiate - because, well, you are negotiating each footstep.  I have noticed this year that I am stronger than last as I was coming off surgery then.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:54 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:I agree as the degree of "slippage" in the snow is quite different from any trail running that I have ever done.  However, I feel that if I ran trails more I would adapt quicker to the snow and I wear either yaktrax or Icebug shoes most of the time since it is normally only a light inch or so over ice/packed snow for me which I think is more difficult to negotiate - because, well, you are negotiating each footstep.  I have noticed this year that I am stronger than last as I was coming off surgery then.

Yes, I believe that there is no true way to adapt to the snow without running in it. I do think that technical trail running would help you acclimate to snow running better. (ie shortened stride, attention to every step, adapting to foot slippage, etc)
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:07 pm

So, I woke up yesterday still feeling crappy. That mad me decide to not risk getting any worse by running in -15 degree and falling wind chills.

Today, I feel a little bit better and may give it a go at the gym for a few miles.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:13 pm

Nick Morris wrote:So, I woke up yesterday still feeling crappy.  That mad me decide to not risk getting any worse by running in -15 degree and falling wind chills.

Today, I feel a little bit better and may give it a go at the gym for a few miles.
That's what you get for running in this crap in the first place! HaHa 

Go to the gym and run on the TM, you will feel better. Just make sure to wipe the TM down, so you don't catch some funk from someone else!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:16 pm

Schuey wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:So, I woke up yesterday still feeling crappy.  That mad me decide to not risk getting any worse by running in -15 degree and falling wind chills.

Go to the gym and run on the TM, you will feel better. Just make sure to wipe the TM down, so you don't catch some funk from someone else!

What's a TM? I was thinking the indoor track Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:27 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
Schuey wrote:

What's a TM?  I was thinking the indoor track Smile
HaHa. I guess I will be one of the few to keep on believing in the treadmill as the great secret weapon to run PRs (especially in Boston) .  Very Happy  Very Happy
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:25 pm

Schuey wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
Schuey wrote:

HaHa. I guess I will be one of the few to keep on believing in the treadmill as the great secret weapon to run PRs (especially in Boston) .  Very Happy  Very Happy

If I had your TM, maybe I would think differently Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:48 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
Schuey wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
Schuey wrote:

good and fair point! Your welcome down anytime to give it a spin! Smile
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:54 pm

Schuey wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
Schuey wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
Schuey wrote:

good and fair point! Your welcome down anytime to give it a spin! Smile

Maybe when I am actually training for Boston. Get an idea of the course before running it Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:53 am

Holy cow...So I was able to get out on Saturday for a 16 mile run, but I must say that it was treacherous!! It was the worst footing that I have ever ran on, as the entire ground was ice. Slipping and sliding with every step, left me fight for balance and almost falling my ass once or twice. I shortened my stride and kept the pace a t a crawl, but completed all 16 miles. It was the farthest that I had ran since my race in November. I was completely exhausted afterwards and my legs were toast. It really felt like I had put in 20+ miles from all of the slipping and sliding. MY muscles definitely feel it too. I took yesterday off because my legs were a little sore (hammies and quads). In fact, I still have a little soreness in my hamstrings, but they feel much better. Looking to get a few miles in at the gym this evening.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:54 am

It was funny, because as I was sliding through my run on Saturday. All that came to mind was this...

Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:00 am

Oh I also forgot to talk about the best part of my run on Saturday. We got about 6 miles or so into the run and along the bike path that we were running on I noticed something on the ground that looked familiar. So, I skidded to a stop and made my way back to see if my eyes had seen what I thought they had seen. To my wonderment, they had...there on the ground lie a Garmin 305 still on, but without the wristbands. I thought to myself...SCORE!!! I scooped it up and noticed that it was still on and working. Double Score!! My guess is that someone was using it on there bike and it happen to fall out of a basket or bag or something...All I know is that I now have a back up GPS watch!!!  Very Happy Very Happy 
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum