365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

What Comes Next

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: What Comes Next

Post  Mark B on Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:21 pm

Low HR Run: 6.49 miles

Weather: Overcast, mild, drizzly. 46 degrees. Gear: Testers, shorts, long-sleeved T, jacket, hat. Fuel: Grape Nuts and coffee before. Carried water during.

Met up with my friend for a run on the Salmon Creek Greenway Trail this morning. It was surprisingly mild out (after as cold as its been, 46° feels positively balmy), so the intermittent drizzle showers didn't do anything but make it hard to see through my glasses. This sort of rain is easy.

Easy was actually the watchword. We took it nice and easy, and I was happy to see my heart rate rolling along in the low- to mid130s, at least 5 bpm lower than it's been lately. It was a slower pace, of course, but who cares? It felt great.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 131.
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:39 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Wet - love that.  It is raining super hard here as well and is going to continue right through tomorrow which will make our drive south a bit more interesting.

I'll trade you guys the 6 inches of snow we got with that storm...just sayin'.
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:41 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Wet - love that.  It is raining super hard here as well and is going to continue right through tomorrow which will make our drive south a bit more interesting.

I'll trade you guys the 6 inches of snow we got with that storm...just sayin'.

We got a couple inches of snow and cold enough weather (as low as 9°) to let it stick around for nearly a week, so I think we can check that one off the list for the winter. Oh, wait. It wasn't even winter yet when that happened. Yipes. This is going to be an interesting winter.
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris on Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:42 pm

Nice work on the 6 miler. Sometimes it is nice to run with people. Do you run with others often?
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:18 pm

Nick Morris wrote:Nice work on the 6 miler.  Sometimes it is nice to run with people.  Do you run with others often?

Thanks, Nick! I usually run with my friend (friends since high school) every Sunday, though life sometimes intervenes. It's a good way to keep in touch and keep each other motivated to get out there - even if it is only that one day. And its nice to be distracted and not focusing so much on form, HR, etc. Besides those runs, though, I tend to be a lone wolf, er, llama, er, bumblebee, er...
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:32 am

Mark B wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:Nice work on the 6 miler.  Sometimes it is nice to run with people.  Do you run with others often?

Thanks, Nick! I usually run with my friend (friends since high school) every Sunday, though life sometimes intervenes. It's a good way to keep in touch and keep each other motivated to get out there - even if it is only that one day. And its nice to be distracted and not focusing so much on form, HR, etc. Besides those runs, though, I tend to be a lone wolf, er, llama, er, bumblebee, er...

Ranger.

Hiyo, Silver.   Away!!!!!!!

Ride
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry on Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:00 pm

Mark B wrote:

Boy or girl friend?  affraid 

I still keep contact and BS with my HS classmates regularly online. That's a golden age. I started playing soccer and my team was beaten by 0:6+, then I realized I could beat them all on track when we went beyond 2 laps.
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:54 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Ranger.

Hiyo, Silver.   Away!!!!!!!

Ride

Heh. Nice one, Tex.

I think it's pretty amusing that, when I first read "Ranger," I assumed you meant from The Lord of the Rings.

Of course, both kinda work.

Jerry wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Boy or girl friend?  affraid 

I still keep contact and BS with my HS classmates regularly online. That's a golden age. I started playing soccer and my team was beaten by 0:6+, then I realized I could beat them all on track when we went beyond 2 laps.

Guy friend, Jerry. He's built more for speed than I am, but he conveniently keeps hurting himself or getting distracted from training, so he's fine with chugging along at my pace.

Most of my other high school era friends spend most of their time talking about grandkids and joking about being "old," so there's that.  Suspect
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:20 pm

Very Low HR Run: 4.53 miles

Weather: Overcast, mild, moist with some rain. 47 degrees.  Gear: Testers, shorts, long-sleeved T, jacket, hat, gloves (shed). Fuel: Grape Nuts and coffee before. Water during.

It was tough getting out of bed at oh-dark-hundred this morning to run (it's winter break, so my mid-morning run routine is on hold), but I managed to make it out the door without a specific plan on how far I was going to go. I just knew I wanted to keep the intensity on the low end, like I did yesterday.

I thought I wasn't going to be able to track an extra-low effort when my HR strap went bananas on me during the first mile and seemed to think I was running all-out. (It's often erratic in the first mile, but this was something else again.) I went by feel for a while, trying to run as light and reaxed as I could, and when the HR strap finally came to its senses, it showed my HR a full 10 bpm below where it is normally. Nifty.

My pace was about a minute or so below where it would be at the higher HR, but it was rock-steady.

Here's the chart:

That's good for two reasons: First, it shows that I have some sort of a base still in my legs, even if it's at a lower effort level; and second, that I seem to have figured out how to run forefoot (even in these nasty testers) slowly without jacking my heart rate. Both are good signs for the future.

I didn't feel like pushing it too far -- even at this low-low HR -- so I ended up doing about 4.5 miles. When I hit my walking cool down, my HR dropped below 100 (my target for a cool down) pretty fast and got below 90 before I stopped. Dr. Phil (Maffetone)* would have been pleased.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 127

*-He'd be pleased because his heart rate guidelines as the MAF heart rate target as the MAXIMUM. If you did it purely his way, the goal for these purely aerobic efforts is to stay in a range that starts 10 bpm below the MAF heart rate and not let it exceed MAF. I'd benefit from working this low end, because human nature makes us want to work only the high end because, well, it's faster!
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:01 pm

Low HR Run: 4.5 miles

Weather: Fog/low clouds, damp and chilly. 33 degrees. Gear: Testers, tights, T, pullover, jacket, hat, gloves. Fuel: Grape Nuts and coffee before, nothing during.

It's been a tough week to get out and run, what with Christmas and the return of freezing fog, but I forced myself to go out today -- even if only to give the finger to the elements. Take that, depressing gloom! Clearly, I needed a run, physically and mentally. Smile

I waited long enough for the temperature to get above freezing, which pretty much eliminated the whole black ice risk. I took it easy but didn't take water (I think I should have). The first mile or so felt pretty light and easy, but I felt the load building in my legs as I progressed (weird sensation). Some water might have helped.

The temp was 33, so with running speed and a bit of a breeze, it felt colder. But not horribly so.

The HR was a bit higher than last time but right on target. I understand that I need to do a mental reset and convince myself I'm starting all over again, even though this year's base isn't totally gone.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for run: 130
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:36 pm

Mark B wrote:Low HR Run: 4.5 miles

Weather: Fog/low clouds, damp and chilly. 33 degrees. Gear: Testers, tights, T, pullover, jacket, hat, gloves. Fuel: Grape Nuts and coffee before, nothing during.

It's been a tough week to get out and run, what with Christmas and the return of freezing fog, but I forced myself to go out today -- even if only to give the finger to the elements. Take that, depressing gloom! Clearly, I needed a run, physically and mentally. Smile

I waited long enough for the temperature to get above freezing, which pretty much eliminated the whole black ice risk. I took it easy but didn't take water (I think I should have). The first mile or so felt pretty light and easy, but I felt the load building in my legs as I progressed (weird sensation). Some water might have helped.

The temp was 33, so with running speed and a bit of a breeze, it felt colder. But not horribly so.

The HR was a bit higher than last time but right on target. I understand that I need to do a mental reset and convince myself I'm starting all over again, even though this year's base isn't totally gone.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for run: 130

I've never had Grape Nuts before, but I never would've thought to put coffee in the bowl with the Grape Nuts.   Shocked 

And if I had never heard of 'freezing fog', I would ask if running through a freezing fog would be similar to getting sandblasted.  But I have, so I won't ask.   Embarassed
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:40 pm

Grape nuts are good hot, too...

freezing fog does not sound good.
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:57 pm

ounce wrote:I've never had Grape Nuts before, but I never would've thought to put coffee in the bowl with the Grape Nuts.   Shocked 

And if I had never heard of 'freezing fog', I would ask if running through a freezing fog would be similar to getting sandblasted.  But I have, so I won't ask.   Embarassed

Okay, fine. I had Grape Nuts with rice milk. Also coffee. Sheesh!

I've never had Grape Nuts hot, but I've heard they're quite good. Probably not when mixed with coffee, though.

Julie wrote:Grape nuts are good hot, too...

I'll have to try them like that one of these days. And yes, freezing fog is about as nasty as it sounds. It's not as bad as a full-on ice storm, but it can leave a fraction of a millimeter of ice on just about every surface. That glaze can sometimes put cars in the ditch; even when it doesn't, it tends to make running treacherous unless you're willing to pay VERY close attention to every single step. I did it last year on a morning that saw lots of wrecks, and I came back pretty sore - not because I fell, but because I worked just about every muscle in my hips to keep from wiping out.
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:07 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:I've never had Grape Nuts before, but I never would've thought to put coffee in the bowl with the Grape Nuts.   Shocked 

I've never had Grape Nuts hot, but I've heard they're quite good. Probably not when mixed with coffee, though.

I'll have to try them like that one of these days. And yes, freezing fog is about as nasty as it sounds. It's not as bad as a full-on ice storm, but it can leave a fraction of a millimeter of ice on just about every surface. That glaze can sometimes put cars in the ditch; even when it doesn't, it tends to make running treacherous unless you're willing to pay VERY close attention to every single step. I did it last year on a morning that saw lots of wrecks, and I came back pretty sore - not because I fell, but because I worked just about every muscle in my hips to keep from wiping out.

I didn't know that rice had utters!  Gosh, I'm learning so MUCH from you, Mark!
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:16 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

I didn't know that rice had utters!  Gosh, I'm learning so MUCH from you, Mark!

lol! 
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:07 pm

By the power vested in my by me, I am converting this blog to a SCZ blog.  Post away! Twisted Evil
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:50 pm

I often have Grapenuts hot made with black tea. Yum
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:42 am

ounce wrote:By the power vested in my by me, I am converting this blog to a SCZ blog.  Post away! Twisted Evil

If that's a goad to get me to post more often, it will work. Once the holidays are over and life calms down.

Yeah, weird thing, that. Everybody else's life tends to slow down for the holidays. Not in the newspaper business. It's one of the craziest times of the year. Big papers, great need for stories - and all the sources away on vacation! Great fun!

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:I often have Grapenuts hot made with black tea. Yum

Hm. That sounds intriguing, Michele. Have to try it.
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:44 am

Doing Something Nutty to Hit the Big Round Number Run: 8.3 miles

Weather: Indoors, on the treadmill. 70 degrees. Gear: Testers, shorts, T. Fuel: Chinese food, champagne before. Water during.

Okay, so, I looked at my running miles for 2013 last night and realized that I was at 1,491.7 miles.

I couldn't get a run in this morning. Or even a walk at lunch.

I was resigned to purposefully ignoring that Big Round Number of 1,500 until I mentioned it to Alita while we were eating dinner tonight (Chinese food and champagne).

"Well?" she said. "Do it. You've got time."

Um. Er. Really?

Oh, what the hell. Why not?

I "borrowed" Alec's iPad (telling him he could play World of Warcraft until I was done with it, which he was happy to do), fired up hulu+ and hopped on the treadmill. Yes, I did. My heart rate was not exactly in the right place (but really, who'd expect it to be?), but I cruised along at a slow pace watching Dr. Who episodes until I hit the 8.3 miles.

Ha. Did it.

And with more than two hours to spare on the year! (Well, at least in my time zone.)

And, much to my surprise, I just ran the numbers and discovered that 2013 was my highest mileage (and time run) year ever.  cheers 

Happy New Year! Here's to more craziness in 2014.
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:15 pm

Gotta love kids motivating you to run more. Congrats on the nice even number and new high mileage!
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:23 pm

Julie wrote:Gotta love kids motivating you to run more. Congrats on the nice even number and new high mileage!

Thanks, Julie! I hadn't been tracking my total miles since my autumn slump, so I was pleasantly surprised to discover that I'd set a new mileage record. I like surprises like that. Very Happy

2014 is going to be a weird year, as I try to figure out what to run while saving enough of myself (and my budget) for the big event of 2015: The Goofy Challenge at Walt Disney World. My brother-in-law really, really, really, REALLY wants us to come and do it with them -- and since I kinda-sorta got him into distance running, it's pretty tough to say no. So we're already saving our pennies to be able to afford it. It's insanely expensive.

One complication of Disney is that, in order to not end up in the walkers' corral, I'll need to run a marathon to prove to them that I can go faster than 16-minute mile pace. It's been so long since I've run one, it doesn't count anymore. Hm.  scratch
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:13 pm

Maybe if he really really really etc wants you there he can host a bake sale or something.  Very Happy 

Oh fun on finding a marathon before that. Maybe one that fits in as a training run?
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:20 pm

Julie wrote:Maybe if he really really really etc wants you there he can host a bake sale or something.  Very Happy 

Oh fun on finding a marathon before that. Maybe one that fits in as a training run?

I like the way you think! It helps that they're engineers, and by definition, notorious tightwads. Hopefully, that means they'll find the most efficient way to accomplish this.

As far as marathons go, I'll probably try to find one close and relatively cheap. Of course, if somebody just happens to be heading to Vancouver or Eugene this summer to put another state on her 50-state marathon chart (cough, cough, Michele, cough, cough), that might help me make a decision.
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:13 pm

You'll love the humidity and 60-70 degree temps in Orlando.  It's warmer there in January than in Houston.

Not me.
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:05 pm

Damn you Mark - I've got to commit to one of them don't I.  What would your time goal be??????
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: