365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

What Comes Next

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

Re: What Comes Next

Post  Mark B on Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:16 pm

@ounce wrote:It's those Samsung nanobots that drain the battery in the cold.
Most likely. Pesky nanobots. alien 
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P on Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:22 pm

Can I blame muscle soreness on Nanobots?
Dave P
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:49 pm

@Dave P wrote:Can I blame muscle soreness on Nanobots?

Absolutely! Very Happy

Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:53 pm

So, it's 19 degrees again this morning (we had a low of 12), and I'm perhaps not surprisingly less than excited about heading out for a run.

I mean, setting records is one thing, but I've already done about 20 degrees. Amazing how fast the novelty wears off. Wink

I have nothing for admiration for my far-flung friends in the Frozen North who have to deal with these sorts of conditions for months. We should be back to 40 degrees and rainy by the weekend. They're stuck with it.

Even so, these next few days ought to be interesting...

Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:03 pm

Aside from breaking a record for the lowest high temperature in 104 years in Houston, the local paper's (Houston Chronicle) Science writer wrote today that for the first time in 10,114 days (1986) Houston's high temperature was cooler, 38 degrees, than in Deadhorse, Alaska (39 degrees).  No doubt that y'all were cooler, too.

Deadhorse had just started keeping records in 1986.  Keep the faith as winter can't last much longer!  Rolling Eyes
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:01 pm

@ounce wrote:Aside from breaking a record for the lowest high temperature in 104 years in Houston, the local paper's (Houston Chronicle) Science writer wrote today that for the first time in 10,114 days (1986) Houston's high temperature was cooler, 38 degrees, than in Deadhorse, Alaska (39 degrees).  No doubt that y'all were cooler, too.

Deadhorse had just started keeping records in 1986.  Keep the faith as winter can't last much longer!  Rolling Eyes

Ha! That's pretty awesome, Ounce. To say that we lived in times like these!

I checked Alaska temps yesterday and saw several places VERY far north that were much warmer than the conditions we're having here. I found out that the low yesterday in Central Oregon got down to 22 below zero in La Pine, where we sometimes go in the summer, and 47 below zero (yes, -47F) along a highway we've driven before.

I just looked out the window and saw snow coming down. It was very light (sort of like angel dandruff), so it won't accumulate. But it could get interesting tonight if what the predictions are true.
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:03 pm

Not a very low HR Run: 8.3 miles

Weather: Overcast, cold. 21-24 degrees with an occasional breeze that had some bite to it. Gear: Testers, wool socks, tights, wind pants, Capilene T, long-sleeved tech T, SportHill top, regular jacket, wool cap, heavier gloves, buff (on return trip). Fuel: Post breakfast. Carried Roctane Sport Drink in handheld, took Gu at halfway point.

Cold and gray outside, with lots of packed snow and spots of ice. Since the novelty of running in the cold has worn off, I wasn't totally enthralled with the idea of heading out. But I'm glad I did. It ended up being one of the best runs I've had in a while.

It wasn't a fast run, or a good low HR effort (it was more at my old Hadd-insipred HR target), but for the first time in a while, I felt like cruising along for an extended time. I stretched what might have been a 4-5 mile run into an 8, and I didn't regret it. It was nice to just get out and go.

I did my Llama Ridge route, though the llamas and alpacas were wisely in a barn somewhere.

Here's the view from my turnaround point.

Snowy sidewalks and streets made this a little like a trail run -- I had to pay attention to where I was putting my feet -- and the testers I have handled the conditions well. I pared back clothing a little (one less layer on the bottom, my regular running jacket on top instead of GoreTex) and I was pretty comfortable most of the time. The wind picked up a little bit on the return trip, so I pulled the buff I'd stashed in pocket. It took the sting out of the breeze.

It gusted to 3 mph, which doesn't sound like much, but when you add even a ~ 5 mph running speed into a 3 mph headwind, 23 degrees feels like 14. You can tell the difference.

Also different: I filled up my handheld with sport drink and drank it throughout. I'd read that the body eschews fat metabolism when it's cold and focuses on glycogen exclusively. So, it made sense to take a carbohydrate drink. I also took a Gu at the halfway point because, well, they're just so much fun to eat when they're half-frozen!

All in all, I'm very pleased with how it turned out today. It feels like progress. It feels good. 

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 138
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie on Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:08 pm

Snow is so pretty but I sure hate running on the ice and slippery packed snow.  Glad it felt good and you completed the run without a fall or injury!
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:49 pm

@Julie wrote:Snow is so pretty but I sure hate running on the ice and slippery packed snow.  Glad it felt good and you completed the run without a fall or injury!

Hi Julie! I guess I've been lucky so far. It's been so cold around here lately that the snow is cold and somewhat sticky. I only had one pure ice slip, but I kept my balance.

Ice is another matter. We get freezing rain sometimes, and even freezing fog. Those are usually treadmill days. If I do venture out on days like that, it ends up being more of a core workout than a run, as I try to keep from doing the splits on every step.  Shocked 
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:42 pm

I'm glad I got a good run in on Monday, because this weather is making it hard to predict when I get to run again.

It's not the running conditions -- if all else fails, I could always use the treadmill -- but the driving conditions are such that they keep delaying, and now canceling, school. That, combined with the need for me to get to work early to cover the mayhem, means I've lost my window of opportunity for a couple of days now, and there's a forecast of more freezing fog tonight or tomorrow. Followed, maybe, by freezing rain. Whee.

Anyway, I might as well daydream, right? In keeping with the "What Comes Next" theme, here are some events I've been thinking about lately. Items with an asterisk are the ones that seem most intriguing to me right now.

Lake Sonoma 50 miler, early April (too little time to prepare for it this year)

Beacon Rock 25K/50K is June 8.

*Smith Rock Ascent: 50k, June 14.

(Vancouver USA Marathon is June 15)

(Mount Hood 50 is July 12, just saying... revenge!)

(Eugene Marathon is July 27, in case Michele heads west)

Angels Staircase 60k/35k, Aug. 9 & 10. I'd love to do this, but it's logistically challenging.

*Oregon Coast 50k - Oct. 18 (No website yet.)

Who knows what I might pick, but at least there are options. Smile

Last edited by Mark B on Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:08 pm

I'd never heard of 'freezing fog' until last week when College Station (Texas A&M and 100 miles from Houston) had a Freezing Fog Advisory.

Here's another race you can cross off your list of candidates:  American River 50 in Sacramento on April 5th.  Reina has signed up for it.  The elevation chart has the last 2.5 miles going from 500' to 1,300'.  Looks scary on the chart.

Revenge is overrated.  Ah, but justice is a completely different animal.
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:34 pm

@ounce wrote:I'd never heard of 'freezing fog' until last week when College Station (Texas A&M and 100 miles from Houston) had a Freezing Fog Advisory.

Here's another race you can cross off your list of candidates:  American River 50 in Sacramento on April 5th.  Reina has signed up for it.  The elevation chart has the last 2.5 miles going from 500' to 1,300'.  Looks scary on the chart.

Revenge is overrated.  Ah, but justice is a completely different animal.

I forgot to mention the American River 50 Mile Endurance Run. It's on my list of races I'd like to do, but it falls at *exactly* the wrong time for our school district's spring vacation. Maybe another year.

Yeah. Justice. I like the sound of that. Smile

Also, while they haven't posted a website for the Oregon Coast 50K, here's a description:

From the beach to the bluffs to the ridges high above with waves crashing into rocks just feet away at times The Oregon Coast 50k is never far from the ocean and is always incredibly scenic. Starting on the wide, flat-ish beach just south of Waldport the runners will run to the small seaside town of Yachats and past it to Cape Perpetua Park where they'll do a big loop and then run back to Yachats and finish there. Most of the miles are on narrow, twisty, soft single track trails but there's also a 6 mile sandy but firm beach section at the start and a tiny bit of pavement and packed gravel trail as well to round out the course. There's flat sections, steep sections, big hills and little hills, waves crashing into rocks, deep old forest, views from up high, and views from as low as the tide will let you go. This race has something for everyone and fun for all!

It's near Yachats, where we went in the late summer. It's my favorite place on the Oregon Coast.

If there's only one race I run in 2014, it's going to be this one. It sounds too awesome for words.

Last edited by Mark B on Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:00 pm

Low HR Run: 2 hours (about 8.35 miles)

Weather: Sub-freezing and slick outside, 68 inside on the treadmill. Gear: Many layers outside, stripped down to nothing but shorts! Testers. Fuel: Post-breakfast, drank bottle of Roctane sports drink during run.

One of the odder runs, but sorta nifty.

I went outside, layered up, at about 28 degrees, but turned around after discovering a thin layer of ice on what looked like bare pavement that was far more slippery than the scattered remnants of snow and ice. I headed back inside, stripped down, fired up hulu+ on the iPad and hopped on the treadmill.

I didn't know how much I was going to run - but I ended up doing two hours total! I could have ended sooner, but, you know.. the show wasn't over yet! Okay, the second show. I watched one, then it started the second automatically. Still.

The run was fine. My HR kept slipping up, so I kept having to slow down. So this was not even remotely fast (ironically, the iPad obscured the speed indicator, so I couldn't fret about it) but it allowed me to go and go and go. I can live with that.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 136

Last edited by Mark B on Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:55 pm

For horses, it's called a hot walk, just going around in circles. But there's valuable conditioning going on as you beat on that poor TM belt.

Glad you saw the ice. I probably wouldn't have until it was too late.
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:33 pm

@ounce wrote:For horses, it's called a hot walk, just going around in circles.  But there's valuable conditioning going on as you beat on that poor TM belt.

Glad you saw the ice.  I probably wouldn't have until it was too late.

Actually, I didn't see it. I felt it. That's what made it scarier than hard-packed snow: I could be cruising along one second and picking my teeth up from the pavement the next. I do crazy. I don't do stupid.
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:40 am

@Mark B wrote:
@ounce wrote:For horses, it's called a hot walk, just going around in circles.  But there's valuable conditioning going on as you beat on that poor TM belt.

Actually, I didn't see it. I felt it. That's what made it scarier than hard-packed snow: I could be cruising along one second and picking my teeth up from the pavement the next. I do crazy. I don't do stupid.

Welcome back, listeners to "Did he really say that?!"  We now call the wife of a man from Vancouver, Washington who made the incredible statement 'I do crazy.  I don't do stupid.'  
How are you doing, this evening, Mrs. B.?
I'm doing well, thanks.  And who are you?
I'm the host of a show called 'Did He Really Say That?!'  Your husband wrote in a runner's blog, and I quote, 'I do crazy.  I don't do stupid.'  Is that true, Mrs. B.?
Hell, no.  He's proven he can do stupid a lot more than he does crazy.
Well, thanks for clearing that up for us, Mrs. B.
And who in the hell are you again?
We'll be back after this break.
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:58 am

@ounce wrote:
@Mark B wrote:

Welcome back, listeners to "Did he really say that?!"  We now call the wife of a man from Vancouver, Washington who made the incredible statement 'I do crazy.  I don't do stupid.'  
How are you doing, this evening, Mrs. B.?
I'm doing well, thanks.  And who are you?
I'm the host of a show called 'Did He Really Say That?!'  Your husband wrote in a runner's blog, and I quote, 'I do crazy.  I don't do stupid.'  Is that true, Mrs. B.?
Hell, no.  He's proven he can do stupid a lot more than he does crazy.
Well, thanks for clearing that up for us, Mrs. B.
And who in the hell are you again?
We'll be back after this break.

lol! 

Okay, I might have had that one coming. Smile
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:43 am

Nah, check the time I wrote that. I'd just been up about 15 minutes and saw an opening. You're gracious in letting me go off on many tangents in your blogs, but I just had to type quick. So time was your best friend on this bit.  clown 
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:54 pm

@ounce wrote:Nah, check the time I wrote that.  I'd just been up about 15 minutes and saw an opening.  You're gracious in letting me go off on many tangents in your blogs, but I just had to type quick.  So time was your best friend on this bit.  clown 

No charge for the venue, Ounce!

I think the spontaneity of your smart-assery would have been spoiled if you'd taken more time to fuss around with it. It was a good bit!

Alita is still laughing. "He got me so accurately!"
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:01 pm

Anyhoo, we've been back up above freezing since Friday afternoon. The last remnants of snow are pretty much gone now and everything seems dim and murky now. Oh right. The traditional Pacific Northwest late fall/winter conditions.

The upside is that I should now be able to put up the Christmas lights without breaking my neck. Our house doesn't look quite as festive as in years gone by yet. I'll need to fix that, now that I can.  santa 

The bigger challenge (or fear) is what happens when we bring in a Christmas tree. Fluff has taken to jumping and climbing all sorts of places, and he's a lot bigger than he was a year ago. This could be interesting...
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:13 pm

It takes a certain talent to be a smart ass on a consistent basis.  No smart-assery.  Pure smart ass.
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:39 pm

Low HR Run: 4.5 miles

Weather: Clammy. Low clouds, mist, 39 degrees (99% humidity). Gear: Testers, tights, long-sleeved T, jacket, hat, gloves (shed after 2 miles). Fuel: Grape Nuts and coffee before. Nothing during.

What a difference a week makes! Last Sunday, the temperature bottomed out at 9. This morning, it was 30 degrees warmer. That meant a lot less clothing, obviously, though at 39 and super-damp, it was far from warm. I got the clothing right, though a couple of degrees warmer and I'd have been happier in shorts.

I'm hoping to do a longer run tomorrow, so I kept this one on the shorter side. My hips have been creaky since that extended (and very slow) treadmill run. It took a while for them to loosen up. My pace was pretty consistent, which was nice, though my HR wanted to drift up a little. Still, I think it shows some progress.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 131

---

So, while I was out running, they opened registration for the Lake Sonoma 50.

Before I finished my run (in 37 minutes, to be exact), the race sold out. Wow.

I'd decided against signing up, so its okay. I'd given myself a few months to see how well I could start building before the sign-ups today, and I kept getting set back by minor injuries, illness and other life events. It's clear that I can't get ready by race day this year, and I wouldn't want to take one of the coveted 300 slots just to slog through it. Better that somebody else get a chance to run it, and run it well.

I do want to run this race eventually. It'll just have to be another year.
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:43 pm

After a busy Sunday (getting a tree, scampering around on the roof putting up lights), I was too sore on Monday to go for a run. I may have scampered too enthusiastically on those weird pitches on my roof. I'd actually stretched, dressed and got out the door and made it about two houses down before my body's urgings to take a rest day got too loud to ignore. Well, fine. I headed back inside, changed out of my gear, and took a nap.

It's probably for the best, but still. Hoped to get a walk in at lunch today but something came up. I'll try again tomorrow. I'm doing a pretty poor job as a wear tester this time.  Neutral 

I'm hoping that I'll get some momentum when I decide on what I'm going to train for.
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:10 pm

@Mark B wrote:After a busy Sunday (getting a tree, scampering around on the roof putting up lights), I was too sore on Monday to go for a run. I may have scampered too enthusiastically on those weird pitches on my roof. I'd actually stretched, dressed and got out the door and made it about two houses down before my body's urgings to take a rest day got too loud to ignore. Well, fine. I headed back inside, changed out of my gear, and took a nap.

It's probably for the best, but still. Hoped to get a walk in at lunch today but something came up. I'll try again tomorrow. I'm doing a pretty poor job as a wear tester this time.  Neutral 

I'm hoping that I'll get some momentum when I decide on what I'm going to train for.

MARK! MARK!

JERRY HAS HACKED INTO YOUR ACCOUNT!!!!!

CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD!!!!!!!

lol! 
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B on Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:44 pm

@ounce wrote:
@Mark B wrote:After a busy Sunday (getting a tree, scampering around on the roof putting up lights), I was too sore on Monday to go for a run. I may have scampered too enthusiastically on those weird pitches on my roof. I'd actually stretched, dressed and got out the door and made it about two houses down before my body's urgings to take a rest day got too loud to ignore. Well, fine. I headed back inside, changed out of my gear, and took a nap.

MARK!  MARK!  

JERRY HAS HACKED INTO YOUR ACCOUNT!!!!!

CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD!!!!!!!

lol! 

Nah. Mark is just lazy.

OMG! Ounce is right!
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

View user profile

Back to top Go down