365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Boston

+14
Nick Morris
fostever
Dave P
mul21
T Miller
Alex Kubacki
Mark B
Schuey
Julie
Jerry
JohnP
nkrichards
ounce
Michele "1L" Keane
18 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

For Boston - Page 2 Empty Re: For Boston

Post  JohnP Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:53 pm

Happy birthday Michele!
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:35 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Thanks, Schuey.  My legs actually responded better to 9 mph than I thought they would.

I'm sure you already know this little tidbit but sometimes when in a funk or legs are feeling dead, the best way get out of the funk or get the legs going is running faster. It doesn't surprise me that your legs responded better at the faster pace. I have experienced the some thing and my go to workout when I feel like I'm in a pace rut or running funk is a nice good old fartlek run! 

She moved back to Cleveland because there is no better place to live then the good old Midwest!  Very Happy
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:33 pm

happy belated birthday! I had problems getting onto this site the last few days. It was just so slow. I hope the pipes are back in working order and you are staying safe with the ice and cold.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:13 pm

Well the world is back to normal around here.  My daughter went back to college on Friday, my husband is in China, and it is just me and my dog watching football (my Pats kicked major butt last night).  I survived a week where I was forced to run on the treadmill 2x which is way more than I would have liked.  I also survived my first longer double digit run (15 miles) in a long time.  The biggest weather problem we are having now is the unfreezing of the local rivers causing ice damn problems.  The roads were closed in the park for the most part, but you can park at the top and run down in.  Wish I had my camera or phone to take a picture of the ice blocks, trees and other debris which completely swallowed one of the bridges.  Of course, this helped us a lot as we were able to run on the road which was less slick and actually climbs a hill (for the first 3 miles) that is a harder grade than the actual trail.

Mileage is slowly creeping up with an increase to just over 37 miles this week.  While this sounds like nothing to Jerry, for me, that is where I will start building from for April.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:11 pm

Some cool pictures of the river that were taken by a running friend this morning.  This is called the Rocky River and it feeds into Lake Erie.  The ice blocks were completely formed by Mother Nature.  The last picture is a shot under the RR Bridge towards the lake in the horizon.  The final picture is out my kitchen window.

For Boston - Page 2 Rocky_10

For Boston - Page 2 Rocky_11

For Boston - Page 2 Under_10

For Boston - Page 2 Frozen11
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:00 pm

wow, nice pictures!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:40 pm

That is some impressive ice, both on the river and on the lake.

Good work on the mileages - and that you can avoid the dreadmill as much as you can.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:36 am

Did your daughter go the meet at BU last night?  Rupp broke the AR in the 5000, and Mary Cain broke the World Junior record in the 1000.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:11 am

Alex Kubacki wrote:Did your daughter go the meet at BU last night?  Rupp broke the AR in the 5000, and Mary Cain broke the World Junior record in the 1000.
Nope - I tried to get her to go as we have run on the track, but nope - she is into hockey, not track.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:20 am

Just wanted to report on Thursday’s run because it made me very happy.  The prescribed run was a 60 min Progression run with the last 5 min at 5K pace.  I might not have gotten down to quite 5K pace, but then again, I’m not really sure what my 5K pace is right now.  My goal was to do the run outside in the elements (just cold with a little wind) and I succeeded.  I knew “snow” was in the future and I also knew that I couldn’t really do such a run with the Thursday night group, so I ventured out around 1 PM which was the warmest part of our day.  It was 25F with a slight wind (which is always a headwind on the lake – it just is), but I knew I wanted to get out there and beat the elements.

Anyway, my mile splits were as follows:  9:16; 9:07; 8:52; 8:02; 7:51; 7:43.  I ran 7(.01) miles in under 1 hr which is something that I have not done for a long time except maybe in a race.  My average HR was a bit higher than usual at 150 and my max was only 165  (these numbers are probably low given the temperature, and I had layers of clothing on.  I was very excited at the end of the run as I really didn’t feel that labored – not really much more than usual and my HR dropped back down to 62 in a few minutes.

Just excited as I felt like a runner today, and I accomplished (I believe) the goal of the run on the roads and in the cold  (Yeah!)  (Course was fairly flat with only two very small hills as I ran along the lake).

I also collected some interesting Garmin data from the run.  Normally, I see my cadence around 174-175 and my Ground Contact time is on the high side at around 260 (which is on the high end but I know I drag through my right foot by shoe wear patterns).  Thursday's run had me at a 179-181 cadence with a ground contact time of 239.  Interesting how running faster changed the dynamics so much.  I am happy to report that the watch has my VO2 Max at 47 - according the the website that is pretty darn good for a woman my age, but I'm also not reaching my potential.  Oh well.

Last edited by Michele "1L" Keane on Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:17 am

Nice run, Michele! It must have felt great blowing the gunk out like that. Smile

And what sort of Garmin is giving you such specific data? My old 305 is starting to seem like an abacus in comparison.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:05 pm

Mark B wrote:Nice run, Michele! It must have felt great blowing the gunk out like that. Smile

And what sort of Garmin is giving you such specific data? My old 305 is starting to seem like an abacus in comparison.
My new 620. I like it and it seems to work fine.  I know that Stephen (Gobbles) returned his but I've had no issues.  I'm thinking that it might be reading my VO2 max a bit high - but that is ok.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:32 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:
Mark B wrote:Nice run, Michele! It must have felt great blowing the gunk out like that. Smile

My new 620. I like it and it seems to work fine.  I know that Stephen (Gobbles) returned his but I've had no issues.  I'm thinking that it might be reading my VO2 max a bit high - but that is ok.
Yep I have to agree love the 620. Lisa and I have had no issues with ours, the only thing that I have notice is that pace and distance seems to be off when I run downhill on the treadmill but that is not a big deal to me. 

Hey you going to run the Shamrock Shuffle this year??
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:15 pm

I'm tempted, Schuey, but it is a week after I race a half marathon in Atlanta.  I probably should do at least one 20+ miler before Boston Wink.

Can't get my 620 to work inside - do you use a foot pod?
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:24 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:I'm tempted, Schuey, but it is a week after I race a half marathon in Atlanta.  I probably should do at least one 20+ miler before Boston Wink.

Can't get my 620 to work inside - do you use a foot pod?
no you don't have to use a footpad. That is the thing that I love about the 620. I use it without turning of the satellite but you might want to try and turn that off for the first timing using it in doors.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:27 pm

I'll try it.  I did re-calibrate the mill adjusted the stiffness and it feels more accurate.  I'm also running faster, so I believe the run speeds now.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:50 pm

Smart move to run that run early on Thursday as the snow came in on Thursday night leaving us with an inch on Friday morning and then we received another inch on Friday night.  That in combination with the cold polar vortex temperatures made for a slow but fun 16 miles on Saturday morning.  We ran over the frozen stuff which was interesting and made for a slow pace, but we certainly got the miles done which was the goal.  The sun came out about an hour into the run which helped offset the cold temperatures and caused a little melting which was interesting.  We got another inch of fresh stuff overnight but the temps stayed in the low 20s which made for a better run this morning.  We were able to run at a faster pace even over the snow and again the sun came out during the run which did make for a good recovery.

Up to 40 miles for the week and 100 miles for the month.  Starting to get into real marathon training. This week is supposed to be very cold with days in the single digits and teens, so I anticipate a few indoor runs, so again, I'm ever so glad to have been able to get out earlier this week and get in some quality work on the roads.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:36 pm

Nice work on the long run especially with the snow. We've been fortunate to have no snow this past week.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:41 am

We haven't had any snow since our little cold blast back in December. Hardly any rain, either. The weather system that keeps bludgeoning your area with arctic weather is blocking the regular flow of storm systems off the Pacific Ocean. Sunny skies are nice (when it's not foggy), but it's going to get ugly this summer if this pattern holds.

I'm impressed that you can get out at all in these conditions. It's one thing to head out as an adventure run. It's something else altogether when it's just an ordinary run. Way to commit to it!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:01 am

Oh, it has been tough, Mark - don't get me wrong.  I only ran outside on Tuesday this week as the next two days were too cold and snowy/icy.  I also had a tempo run to do yesterday, and well, I can't muster an 8 min pace with 14 layers of clothing in 4" of snow.  I'm still debating how to handle tomorrow's run (16 miles are on the schedule) as the weather will be warmer, but snow doesn't melt in 20 degrees either.  Tomorrow's run is about time on my feet - but I'm not sure that 3 hrs is warranted yet (it took us 2:45 to run 16 last week and there was less snow, but it was colder).  Just don't need an injury at this point.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:46 pm

How about ski? Approval
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:59 pm

Jerry wrote:How about ski? Approval
Wish I had some XC skis or snowshoes - now that would be ideal since the snow isn't wet but rather light and fluffy.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:33 pm

Wish I had some XC skis or snowshoes - now that would be ideal since the snow isn't wet but rather light and fluffy.

So if you did, how would you convert a 16 mile run to cross country skis or snowshoes?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:33 pm

ounce wrote:

So if you did, how would you convert a 16 mile run to cross country skis or snowshoes?
I guess just ski or snowshoe for the same amount of time.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:11 pm

ounce wrote:

I guess just ski or snowshoe for the same amount of time.

A longer run on snow sounds much more pleasant than a tempo run. Pace isn't such a big issue on the long runs. Still, what I said counts only as long as that 4 inches of snow is at least somewhat packed and not slippery.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next