365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For Boston

+14
Nick Morris
fostever
Dave P
mul21
T Miller
Alex Kubacki
Mark B
Schuey
Julie
Jerry
JohnP
nkrichards
ounce
Michele "1L" Keane
18 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

For Boston - Page 3 Empty Re: For Boston

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:19 am

Today just might be the day that I am glad that I live in Cleveland and not Atlanta.  Yes, we have a few inches of snow on the ground, the sidewalks are covered as are the road shoulders.  Yes it is only 2F and my hot water was iffy this morning.  But I can get out of the house and go to the gym where I can actually run around in circles for an hour and feel like I accomplished something.  I'm not stuck on the highway or had to sleep in a bar (like a friends daughter who could not drive 6 miles home from school) or anything to do with a Snowmaggedon.  At least just for another day or so, before it is 60F down there.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:37 pm

I saw the news reports on the chaos in Atlanta. Was it ever that bad when you lived there?
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:21 am

Mark B wrote:I saw the news reports on the chaos in Atlanta. Was it ever that bad when you lived there?
Never that bad.  We had 13 inches when I was pregnant but it started on a late Friday afternoon and was pretty much gone by Monday morning.  We had a couple of ice storms when Shannon was in high school that shut us down for a few days around where we lived because there are so many hills, but nothing like that mess.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:32 am

Here's a story on the Atlanta stuff for you. My aunt and uncle live in Suwanee and he has about an hour and a half commute each way. He left work at about 12:30 pm on Tuesday and got home at 8:15 am on Thursday morning. He said there were multiple time that he was just stopped for like 3 hours at a time and a few times he had to go to the car in front of him and wake people up to get them to move with traffic when it actually went somewhere.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:28 pm

From the only experience of Dallas marathon weekend, I see folks here are not prepared for driving on slightly icy condition, not to blame anyone. People drive really really slow. Understandably, we can afford to just suck it up for one day. If it snows regularly, I bet people don't care any more.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:46 pm

This article sums up what might be the real cause of the mess:

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/01/atlanta-snow-storm-102839.html#.Uup_MfldXcg

Everything she states is right on the money and what I used to say often about the city. I lived close to the last Marta stop to the north and took it often to downtown events and the airport (if I wasn't getting back too late at night), but most people drive everywhere.  Of course, most people drive in Cleveland too, but we don't have the sprawl or (sadly) the population anymore.  And when she states "racial" lines regarding Marta - she is so right on.  Many counties voted against adding lines because it might bring an "influx" of inner city kids to the burbs who will then break into your house and steal things (and carry them back on the train?).  I kid you not.  Used to infuriate me as I'm from a city with a subway and rail system (even if the infrastructure of the T is ancient and needs billions of $$$ of repairs, it still moves people through Boston and its burbs and I think that can be said for NYC as well).  Traffic in Atlanta is abominable even without snow.  It once took me an hour to drive 6 miles - I could have run faster.  It was a beautiful sunny summer day and 2pm in the afternoon.

Last edited by Michele "1L" Keane on Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:55 pm

That's quite a read, Michele. Thanks for sharing. Up to this point, I had assumed there was a big ice storm component to the traffic mess in the greater Atlanta metro area -- but this article suggests that wasn't the case. What a catastrophe.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:02 pm

Been running indoors like a hamster, but it does feel good to run fast once in a while.  Yesterday, I had a Progression run to do again which I ran indoors (90 laps!) and it was quite successful.  The 7 miles were done as: 8:48; 8:23; 8:11; 8:08; 7:56; 7:38; 7:32.  I then ran another half mile at 9 min pace for a cool down.

The core classes and such are working too.  After we ran (four of us used the track and did different workouts), we all went into the gym area to stretch, etc.  One of the other women asked two of us (who take the class) for some different strengthening exercises which we showed her.  We then decided to see how many chin ups we could do.  Well, I took them down with 7! and I'm the oldest one of the bunch.  Didn't really think I could do any - so it was a pleasant surprise.

Things are coming along, but it is supposed to snow/rain again starting tonight, so we will see what tomorrow will bring.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:55 pm

In Houston, we had the other (but more preferable) extreme on Tuesday.  We had our 2nd Winter Storm Warning in as many weeks.  But this one was to be worse (1" snow across the city and a inch or 2 of ice).  Schools were cancelled again, stay off the roads, etc.  The storm didn't show up.  So, the media hyped why officials pulled the trigger for this, which is a better position to be than those in Atlanta.  We don't know how to drive on ice, too.

We are now pretty durn well equipped for evacuations as a result of Hurrican Rita in September 2005 (about a month after Katrina) and its mass evacuation.  One of the sub-stories of Michele's link was the 10 worst traffic jams.  The Houston Hurricane Rita traffic jam ranks #3 behind this week's Atlanta and Woodstock.
http://www.politico.com/magazine/gallery/2014/01/the-10-worst-traffic-jams-ever/001595-022776.html

I stayed through Rita in Houston.  It was almost a ghost town.  The busiest freeway interchange in the state (West Loop at US59) had 2 cars on it, when I drove on it on Friday at 5 p.m.

We are spread out all over everywhere, too.  But the state, county and city have made plans for hurricane evacuations including opening up eastbound I-10 to westbound traffic from Houston to San Antonio 180 miles away.  And the same with I-45 to Dallas, about 250 miles away, plus possibly US290 to Austin.  Gas trucks would be strategically placed.  The shoulders on the freeways were modified to become evacuation lanes.

When Hurricane Ike hit in 2008, the lead county official said to 'hunker down', so we really didn't get to test the plan.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:20 pm

Nice running, I like the progression run. I'm the opposite I don't feel like a hamster when running on the mill, I use to. These days I have found the treadmill helps add an element to my training and really helps me improve. Maybe I feel that way due to the fact that the last few years when I was training steadily I ran my PRs after 90% of the training been done on the mill. I love how it pushes me, I love how it breaks me down physically and mentally, I find that the only way you can cheat yourself is by decreasing the pace or by stopping.

I find that it really gives me that drive and again mentally makes me strong real strong. Yeah, I guess you can say that I have come to terms with the mill and love the benefits you can gain from it. I might be alone but outside of being an elite runner and even for them I think the game of running is 90% mental and the stronger you are in that department the better you will be. Not only that I believe that one can perform better then they believe they can.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:08 pm

If you are so inclined, you can check out my blog: 1lranthere.blogspot.com

As far as the past week went, it was pretty good.  I ended up resorting to running indoors 3x on the track, but it does allow for me to run some faster miles and prevents me from injury.  I also find that I like the indoor track much better than the treadmill.  The only benefit that I am getting from the treadmill is that I can run hills and run on the Boston course.  

160 miles for the month of January which is 35 more miles than last January and most were run at a quicker pace.  I put in more quality workouts as well.  The McMillan plan that I am following has me running less mileage than I was, but I looked back at the McMillan plan that I successfully followed in 2004 leading up to the Flying Pig and it also dropped my mileage.  It was a very successful race.  So I guess we will see.

My week to date:

Mon - No run; core class
Tues - 6 solid miles indoors, work with trainer
Wed - 6 miles easy over Boston hills on treadmill; Core class
Thurs - 7.5 mile Progression Run.  8:48 down to 7:32; Work with trainer
Fri - Core class (make up for cold out day)
Sat - 16 miles outside.  Sleeting, but surface was ok on the path just lightly covered with snow/ice in spots.
Sun - 7 easy miles indoors

WTD: 43 miles
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:55 pm

Finally had time to drop in and see how everyone was doing.  Looks like you had to mix in some treadmill runs along with the runs outside in the snow.  I don't enjoy the treadmill at all but I guess it's a good option this time of year.

Stay warm and healthy...looking forward to following along as you continue to prepare for Boston.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:40 pm

It was 3F this morning and the all-purpose trail was snow and ice covered.  However, it was an easy, short long run day, so outside I went.  Nothing like running in the winter in NE Ohio.  The view from my car before we started:

For Boston - Page 3 Cotton10

That brown building host the bathrooms - cold but functional; however, there are no lights.  The snow has melted some as there is only about 6-7" left now.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:49 pm

So what has the total snowfall been there? It doesn't seem like a lot looking at the picture. We have mounds of snow 2-4' high so it's really difficult anywhere to run outside in the area I am in.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:58 pm

John - we probably only have about a foot on the ground.  The lake keeps the heavy stuff to our east which is nice.  Check out my blog for the latest and greatest.

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com/
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:29 pm

Nice blog! Will you be discontinuing this one? Hope not! 1 ft of snow is a lot to be running in. But I hear you on being cooped up. I also chose outdoors in snow over TM.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:59 am

Thanks, Julie.  I'll blog here, but you just won't get all my random thoughts.   Good "taper" week last week as I build up to the half marathon that I am running on Sunday in Arizona.  I'm off to the Boston Camp that is sponsored by McMillan Running.  Let's see if I learn anything - I'm hoping too - as I really have only mastered that course once and I'm not sure that 2012 really counts being 89F.  But I did have one of my better days on the Boston course in that heat.  Right now my McMillan coach has me running less miles than usual, but I'm running faster than last year and feeling stronger.  Let's see if it works as it did in 2004 when I ran the Flying Pig.  

Weekly mileage:

Mon - Day off, core class
Tues - 6.3 miles on the indoor track with striders; Work with trainer on hip strength
Wed - Easy 6  recovery miles outside in the snow and cold, not too bad with the snow and ice, just slow going; Core class
Thu - 6.5 mile tempo run.  Really nailed the splits - 7:50; 7:34; 7:24; 6:59   HR good and I didn't feel like I ran that hard at all.
Fri - Work with trainer, no run
Sat - 13 miles.  Not a bad run and the all-purpose trail was fairly clean, more bare spots than expected except for the bridges
Sun - 6 miles in 2-3" of fresh snow over snow/ice.  Actually a fun run.

WTD: 37.8

YTD: 225 miles   Actually more than the last two years, but in 2012, I did race a half in January which had some recovery and taper

Last edited by Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:31 pm

I'll be curious as to how the camp is. I came close to signing up for it.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:55 pm

Ok, this is a really cool picture of Lake Erie as it is pretty darn frozen over.  Lake Erie is close to 92% and it has not been that frozen since 1978.  In 1978, we had a major Blizzard in New England that shut the state down for a couple of weeks.

For Boston - Page 3 Frozen12

This is the image of the entire Great Lakes.

For Boston - Page 3 Great-10
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:41 pm

Yay! Glad you're continuing this blog, too. Nice new blog, BTW.

Those satellite photos are stunning. That's amazingly cold-looking!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:20 pm

Ran outside two days in a row. Yes the side roads still have a lot of snow but more bare parts now. I was even able to do 6 1min pickups that felt pretty good. I wanted to try to air it out a little before jumping on an airplane. Today it is absolutely beautiful and sunny and roughly 26F. Felt great to be running outside. Seems odd that it was such a gorgeous day with the crappy weather down south and in the East. My parents have about 6" of snow but my daughter says it us just slushy, mushy and rainy. Her description not mine.

Looking forward to Arizona and the upcoming Boston camp. I will report in after Sundays race
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:29 pm

It is quite warm here in Phoenix. Not really the temps that I was looking for. Oh well - we adjust and run smart
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:03 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:It is quite warm here in Phoenix. Not really the temps that I was looking for. Oh well - we adjust and run smart

Yeah, the weather has been positively nuts this winter. Run well out there -- then enjoy the warmth before you head back up to the icebox.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:12 am

Mark B wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:It is quite warm here in Phoenix. Not really the temps that I was looking for. Oh well - we adjust and run smart

Yeah, the weather has been positively nuts this winter. Run well out there -- then enjoy the warmth before you head back up to the icebox.
 Ditto!
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:24 am

Good weekend in Arizona.  Learned a lot about running, pacing, and especially fueling for marathons in general with the focus being on Boston of course. It was tough to be in a room with so many Dave-O/Schuey type marathoners (many sub-3 masters folks) and even a woman my age gunning to run 3:15 or better (very cool).  It was a low key group for the most part and I took away pages of notes (mostly on fueling) and a lot to think about.  In addition we all ran a fairly flat (not Chicago or Cleveland flat since there were three decent hills in the last half) half marathon and I did ultimately run the fastest time that I have run for a half since February, 2012 (1:42:57) and I placed 2nd in my AG to the aforementioned woman (who ran a 1:28!).  I had a mental lapse at mile 11.5 or so and actually walked through the small water stop at mile 12.  I know that I put a bit too much pressure on myself and lucky as I am, Greg McMillan and my McMillan coach are going to discuss some strategies to help me with this.  I experienced similar issues back when I was in peak form in the late 1980s/early 1990s, so I'm not surprised that they are back especially when the pressure is on.  I'm sure in ways that it is simply this year and the whole Boston thing from last year and in my effort to run a good race, I'm making myself just a bit crazy.   Most of you are laughing already thinking that me being crazy is nothing new - so just keep that to yourselves.  

This is a recovery week and I was able to run outside yesterday as it was 40F when I ran at noon.  Although it was 40F, the sidewalks were still covered in inches of snow as apparently we had another 6" on Monday night into Tuesday morning when I was returning home.  Today, several of us are hoping to get in a hill workout, but it is also supposed to rain hard so we may be forced back indoors onto the indoor track to run a tempo run.  I wish I could go out now (but I'm actually listening in on a conference call as I type this - oops).  

Long runs start soon.    60 days until April 21st.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next