365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So, how's the weather where you are?

+13
Michael Enright
Nick Morris
John Kilpatrick
Admin
Jerry
Mark B
Schuey
mountandog
ounce
Tim C
Dave Bussard
Michele "1L" Keane
mul21
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

So, how's the weather where you are? - Page 2 Empty Re: So, how's the weather where you are?

Post  mul21 Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:27 pm

ounce wrote:

So, would y'all, up on the tundra, say that keeping warm during the cold weather running could be equivalent to my issue of keeping cool & running in the heat 'n humidity in the summer in Texas?

In other words, what I go through in the summer, y'all go through in the winter?  Not judging, just curious. Neutral

No, the heat is much worse to deal with IMO. The snow causes major issues for those that have it stick around for an extended period, but the cold doesn't bother me much until it gets to the seriously cold stuff we had this week. The 14.5" we got at my house will all be gone by this weekend due to warmer temps and rainfall. For Michele, the Chicago people, and I would guess most of the upper midwest and northeast, the lingering snow is much larger inconvenience that the cold temps.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

So, how's the weather where you are? - Page 2 Empty Re: So, how's the weather where you are?

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:29 pm

Jim is right about that.  I ran outside today as the temps are perfect, but the sidewalks are completely snow and ice covered as are many of the side streets.  Makes for very slow going as you need to be extremely cautious since what looks "clean" is probably covered with a thin film of ice.  I ran at a 10 min pace that was the equivalent of probably 8:30 in effort in many places.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:35 pm

mul21 wrote:
ounce wrote:

So, would y'all, up on the tundra, say that keeping warm during the cold weather running could be equivalent to my issue of keeping cool & running in the heat 'n humidity in the summer in Texas?

In other words, what I go through in the summer, y'all go through in the winter?  Not judging, just curious. Neutral

No, the heat is much worse to deal with IMO.  The snow causes major issues for those that have it stick around for an extended period, but the cold doesn't bother me much until it gets to the seriously cold stuff we had this week.  The 14.5" we got at my house will all be gone by this weekend due to warmer temps and rainfall.  For Michele, the Chicago people, and I would guess most of the upper midwest and northeast, the lingering snow is much larger inconvenience that the cold temps.

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Jim is right about that.  I ran outside today as the temps are perfect, but the sidewalks are completely snow and ice covered as are many of the side streets.  Makes for very slow going as you need to be extremely cautious since what looks "clean" is probably covered with a thin film of ice.  I ran at a 10 min pace that was the equivalent of probably 8:30 in effort in many places.

Thanks for the clarity.  So is there a thickness of snow that can negate the effect of the ice under the snow or does 'that' amount of thickness present its own problems of high-stepping or whatever (you can tell I haven't run on/in snow)?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:57 pm

If the ice is snow covered, it will indeed negate the affect of the ice, but then there is the snow to contend with.  I live off a main road and can run on the "shoulder", but it is covered with snow and ice.  The sidewalk is buried in a couple of inches of crusted snow and ice with piles that you have to negotiate at each driveway.  There used to be laws that said you had to clean your tree lawn and sidewalk so that kids could walk to school and the mailman could do his job, but those seem to have fallen by the wayside in most places.  I must admit that I am appalled for the most part in how poorly driveways are shoveled/plowed and even those that are plowed for $$$ are poorly cleaned.  My Dad would have killed me if I had ever left a driveway that poorly shoveled and so would my FIL have killed my husband.  When I lived here before, I had a long circular drive, and my lawn guy would plow if we got over 4". 

I would then go out and shovel to bare ground shovel my walk and shovel my sidewalk, and many times I did it 2x per day.  I remember telling a neighbor that it was xtraining.  There goes my obsessive compulsive personality, I guess.  Here I have a two car driveway, stairs and deck.  I clean it so that mine currently is bare ground (and has been).  The guys who have that job here told me once that they would do it, but I told them I didn't mind.  It gets my dog running in the snow and again, it is xtraining!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:44 pm

snow is fine, even deep snow when it initially falls.  After that it gets crunchy, hides ice, becomes very uneven and somewhat treacherous.  With all the snow we had and the lack of plowed sidewalks and subdivisions that are now ice, I've been relegated to the treadmill.  Hate it.  The temps don't bother me at all, but dangerous footing does.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Coleman Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:40 am

75˚ at lunch time. 63˚ for 7 a.m. race, with 6 mph wind. Ideal conditions.
Chris Coleman
Chris Coleman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:30 am

The snow and ice on the streets are mostly melted but there is still snow on the sidewalks and in the yards. Bloomington, just north of us has received more snow and I think they're in worse shape. Tecumseh trail marathon, just northeast of Bloomington, was cancelled on its original date in December and is scheduled for tomorrow morning. The temperature looks good with temps near 40 but the melting snow and ice and possibility of rain will certainly make the trails a slushy mess. The runoff from the melting snow is sure to make the stream crossings very difficult and ensure that we'll be wet for the majority of the race. I wouldn't be surprised if they cancel the race again. Wish us luck.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:06 am

T Miller wrote:The snow and ice on the streets are mostly melted but there is still snow on the sidewalks and in the yards.  Bloomington, just north of us has received more snow and I think they're in worse shape.  Tecumseh trail marathon, just northeast of Bloomington, was cancelled on its original date in December and is scheduled for tomorrow morning.  The temperature looks good with temps near 40 but the melting snow and ice and possibility of rain will certainly make the trails a slushy mess.  The runoff from the melting snow is sure to make the stream crossings very difficult and ensure that we'll be wet for the majority of the race.  I wouldn't be surprised if they cancel the race again.  Wish us luck.

Yipes! At least it's not sub-zero... Good luck!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:14 am

Yeah, good luck with those conditions.  Jeez.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:26 pm

It's nice and balmy here in southern Indiana - doing a cool down after a run!  Embarassed 

So, how's the weather where you are? - Page 2 Snow310
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

http://www.charlesmoman.com

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:26 pm

Barefoot for Mark ! ! ! !
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:27 pm

charles.moman wrote:Barefoot for Mark ! ! ! !

Well, it's about time.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:24 pm

10F this morning with a crust of 2" of frozen snow and ice - slow going, but we got it done.  Not really barefoot weather or exposed skin weather.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:16 pm

This barefoot run was 30 feet from the back door! Susie used my D300 set at 5 frames a second and we were done FAST! Originally the plan was for both of us to be in the photo.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:41 pm

Our weather isn't nearly as impressive here. Still, after several days of chilly, heavy fog on the ground (but beautiful warm weather skies about 500 feet up), it finally cleared off this morning. It got down to 29, but a bit of frost was worth it to see the sun again!  sunny
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2