365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Fracking the system

Page 13 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Fracking the system

Post  ounce on Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:36 pm

@Mark B wrote:
@Nick Morris wrote:
@ounce wrote:
@Mark B wrote:
@Nick Morris wrote:Yes, I would baby it for a week or so.  Definitely not try to do any strides.

Glad you were able to get your run in.

I'll echo Nick on this one. Don't push the cranky muscle.

Totally understand the "splat" concern on a treadmill. And if you're adapted, might as well keep at it.

I'm glad we have reached a consensus. Very Happy 

I shall baby the thing and do stretches.  Thanks for the comments, y'all.  have a nifty weekend.

You too!!  Good lucky with your groin issue and make sure that it is not a growing issue  lol! 

So not touching that. Wink
A doctor gave me a pill, but said to go to the ER if the issue lasted longer than 4 hours.
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4756
Points : 13098
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fracking the system

Post  ounce on Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:53 pm

This will be week 2 of 10 miles at 164 cadence.  When last we left me, I was nursing a sore, right groin muscle.  Over the weekend, I stretched it from different angles.  It didn't cause any problems over the weekend's rest.  The weather over the weekend was also very nice.  The high on Saturday was 82, no rain, degrees.  It was the first time the high was that low, when there was no rain, since 1967.  The low was 70 and Sunday's high was 89, both days with a north breeze.  The last time it was in the 80's was for Bush #41's Republican convention.  None of the national media was looking forward to Houston in August, but it was a couple of days of lows in the 60's and highs in the 80's.  "It's always like this," we said.

This morning, though, it wsa back to 75 degrees with a dewpoint of 74.

10 miles, 2:09:25, 12:56 pace, 144 bpm, 162 max bpm durin mile X, 163 average spm, 0.76 m avg stride length, 1st half pace 12:58, and 2nd half pace of 12:54.

  1. 13:25, 133 bpm, 163 spm, 74 sl
  2. 12:55, 139 bpm, 163 spm, 76 sl
  3. 12:51, 141 bpm, 163 spm, 77 sl
  4. 12:38, 144 bpm, 163 spm, 78 sl
  5. 12:57, 142 bpm, 163 spm, 76 sl
  6. 13:50, 143 bpm, 161 spm, 72 sl
  7. 13:01, 144 bpm, 163 spm, 76 sl
  8. 12:47, 146 bpm, 164 spm, 77 sl
  9. 12:44, 150 bpm, 164 spm, 77 sl
  10. 12:16, 155 bpm, 164 spm, 80 sl


Please note the mile 6 time of 13:50 as a slower time due to maintaining a pace that could keep me going, while creeping up on a port-a-pottie.  Subsequent to that break, I increased the cadence from 164 to 165 for the rest of the run because I thought I could do that pace and maybe go a bit faster.  Correct on both counts.  It was pretty evident to me that 164 is very doable, plus I think 166 could happen, too.

The right groin ONLY acted up when I got on a crowned road and it didn't like the gentle running angle.  But I'm not going to push the stride length for the rest of the week.  I liked the run.

10 tomorrow and I have to go to the doctor before work, so I might can sleep in some.  Thanks for reading.
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4756
Points : 13098
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fracking the system

Post  Mark B on Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:49 pm

Nice work, Ounce! It looks like the higher cadence is working well so far, so keep it up!

I wouldn't worry too much about stride length until you're cranky growing has gotten into a better mood. Stay healthy! I'm living vicariously through your adventures.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7232
Points : 15593
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 54
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fracking the system

Post  ounce on Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:38 pm

@Mark B wrote:Nice work, Ounce! It looks like the higher cadence is working well so far, so keep it up!

I wouldn't worry too much about stride length until you're cranky growing has gotten into a better mood. Stay healthy! I'm living vicariously through your adventures.

Thanks, Mark.  Sorry that I'm tasked with providing your jollies (and I mean that in a nice way).   Wink 

As far as cadence, I don't think more than 168 would be prudent, as I get closer to the race.  Maybe I could use 3 cadences in a race...164 for a while, then 166 for a while, then maybe 168 to the end.  It's an option, if the stride length doesn't play out.

And as a matter of reference, the below times were from July 12, 2013 on a 12 mile run with similar temperatures.

12.3 miles, 2:56:30, 14:21 pace, 135 avg HR, 153 max HR during mile 6, 1st half pace 14:05, 2nd half pace 14:37.


  1. 14:02, 123 bpm
  2. 13:55, 132 bpm
  3. 13:58, 136 bpm
  4. 14:16, 138 bpm
  5. 14:09, 134 bpm
  6. 14:14, 136 bpm
  7. 14:43, 135 bpm
  8. 14:32, 135 bpm
  9. 14:38, 134 bpm
  10. 14:40, 138 bpm
  11. 14:37, 139 bpm
  12. 14:34, 142 bpm
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4756
Points : 13098
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fracking the system

Post  ounce on Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:34 pm

The legs were a little tired for this morning's 10 miler.  When I was doing 174 cadence, a day like today would have been very trying because the legs and the neural something or anothers didn't want to play along.  Therefore, today would be a nice day to see what going 165 instead of 174 was going to produce and for how far.

It was 76 degrees with a dewpoint of 75 and no wind.

10 miles, 2:12:54, 13:17 pace, 144 avg bpm, 161 max bpm during mile 8, 164 avg spm, 0.74 m stride length, 1st half pace 13:09, 2nd half pace 13:25.

  1. 13:14, 135 bpm, 164 spm, 74 sl
  2. 13:03, 136 bpm, 164 spm, 75 sl
  3. 13:14, 130 bpm, 164 spm, 74 sl  *HR messed up this mile.  was showing 117 bpm for a while
  4. 13:06, 146 bpm, 164 spm, 75 sl
  5. 13:09, 145 bpm, 164 spm, 75 sl
  6. 13:13, 143 bpm, 162 spm, 75 sl
  7. 13:19, 150 bpm, 164 spm, 74 sl
  8. 13:28, 151 bpm, 164 spm, 73 sl
  9. 13:33, 152 bpm, 164 spm, 72 sl
  10. 13:34, 154 bpm, 164 spm, 72 sl


So I analyze that my body was getting tired in miles 7-10 because the HR went up and the SL went down.  It reminded me of doing the cadence at 174 and how tired my body was getting trying to maintain the cadence.  Indeed, the steps from yesterday's 10 miles was 21,148 steps and today's 10 miles was 21,776 steps or 628 more today.  And yesterday's run had me running the last 4 miles at 165 cadence.

My groin was not an issue today and I didn't try to extend the stride length.

It really wasn't that difficult to hold the 165, but I just couldn't generate any speed.  Tomorrow is somewhere between 5 miles and 6.66 miles, with 10 on Friday.  Thanks for stopping by.
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4756
Points : 13098
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fracking the system

Post  ounce on Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:11 pm

Good evening, boys and girls.  Today, our lesson is about when to shorten a run. 

I had the option of running anything between 5 miles and 6.66 miles.  I had already run 20 miles, so far this week.  I was going to go short if it was needed.  And it was needed because I was a little tired and there were no brownie points to lose by not running the maximum distance.  After all, Jim had recommended shortening the distance a few weeks ago and this is the result.  I'll log 35 miles this week, which is fine.  Thursday is a rest day.

It was 76 degrees this morning with a dewpoint of 75 and no wind.  Targeting a 165 cadence

5 miles, 1:07:36, 13:31 pace, 139 avg bpm, 148 max HR during mile 5, 164 avg spm, 0.73 m stride length

  1. 13:25, 134 bpm, 164 spm, 73 sl
  2. 13:34, 140 bpm, 164 spm, 72 sl
  3. 13:43, 139 bpm, 164 spm, 71 sl
  4. 13:33, 140 bpm, 164 spm, 72 sl
  5. 13:19, 142 bpm, 164 spm, 74 sl


Stride length is becoming a measure of how a run felt.  Strong or good run gives a stride length average greater than 75 (Monday on fresh legs was 76).  A weak or tired run is less than 75.  This is a working hypothesis.  I was tired, this morning.

I might could work on dropping the cadence 1 step on a day that I'm tired and see how that affects the stride length.

I have had no pain from the groin either Tuesday or today.  n=1 continues.
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4756
Points : 13098
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fracking the system

Post  Mark B on Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:27 am

Interesting interpretation of stride length and fatigue. It sounds logical to me, though I swear I remember Hal once saying that a weird side effect of fatigue is that stride length tends to lengthen...  Suspect 

Smart cutting the run short. No point whatsoever in overdoing it if you feel beaten up, especially on these get-in-the-miles midweek affairs.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7232
Points : 15593
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 54
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fracking the system

Post  ounce on Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:39 am

@Mark B wrote:Interesting interpretation of stride length and fatigue. It sounds logical to me, though I swear I remember Hal once saying that a weird side effect of fatigue is that stride length tends to lengthen...  Suspect 

Smart cutting the run short. No point whatsoever in overdoing it if you feel beaten up, especially on these get-in-the-miles midweek affairs.

Thanks for the comments, Mark.  I remember when I was doing 174 cadence for the 8 and 9 mile weeks, that my cadence would be reduced, when I wasn't running on fresher legs.  I remember getting down into the 150's on a Friday, the last day of a running week.  So, the choice and change to a cadence of 164 or 165 steps per minute allows me to run at that cadence for the whole run.

In fact, on Friday June 27, I ran 9 miles in 20,378 steps (14:08 pace & stride length of 0.71) & on Tuesday, July 29, I ran 10 miles and took only 434 steps more (12:48 pace, 164 cadence, & stride length of 0.77).  I wanted the June 27 cadence to be 174, but could only muster a 160 average.

So a slower, but more consistent, cadence allows energy to be used more efficiently.  Lengthening the stride is the icing on the cake, I think.

As far as your swearing at Hal  Wink , I know for me that is not the case.  I wish in the later miles of a marathon that I could depend on a longer stride, so I wouldn't be shufflin' the last couple of miles.
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4756
Points : 13098
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fracking the system

Post  Nick Morris on Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:02 pm

@ounce wrote:
@Mark B wrote:Interesting interpretation of stride length and fatigue. It sounds logical to me, though I swear I remember Hal once saying that a weird side effect of fatigue is that stride length tends to lengthen...  Suspect 

Smart cutting the run short. No point whatsoever in overdoing it if you feel beaten up, especially on these get-in-the-miles midweek affairs.

Thanks for the comments, Mark.  I remember when I was doing 174 cadence for the 8 and 9 mile weeks, that my cadence would be reduced, when I wasn't running on fresher legs.  I remember getting down into the 150's on a Friday, the last day of a running week.  So, the choice and change to a cadence of 164 or 165 steps per minute allows me to run at that cadence for the whole run.

In fact, on Friday June 27, I ran 9 miles in 20,378 steps (14:08 pace & stride length of 0.71) & on Tuesday, July 29, I ran 10 miles and took only 434 steps more (12:48 pace, 164 cadence, & stride length of 0.77).  I wanted the June 27 cadence to be 174, but could only muster a 160 average.

So a slower, but more consistent, cadence allows energy to be used more efficiently.  Lengthening the stride is the icing on the cake, I think.

As far as your swearing at Hal  Wink , I know for me that is not the case.  I wish in the later miles of a marathon that I could depend on a longer stride, so I wouldn't be shufflin' the last couple of miles.

Good idea...The death shuffle is a horrible way to finish a race.
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11931
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 37
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fracking the system

Post  ounce on Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:04 pm

@Nick Morris wrote:
@ounce wrote:
@Mark B wrote:Interesting interpretation of stride length and fatigue. It sounds logical to me, though I swear I remember Hal once saying that a weird side effect of fatigue is that stride length tends to lengthen...  Suspect 

Smart cutting the run short. No point whatsoever in overdoing it if you feel beaten up, especially on these get-in-the-miles midweek affairs.

Thanks for the comments, Mark.  I remember when I was doing 174 cadence for the 8 and 9 mile weeks, that my cadence would be reduced, when I wasn't running on fresher legs.  I remember getting down into the 150's on a Friday, the last day of a running week.  So, the choice and change to a cadence of 164 or 165 steps per minute allows me to run at that cadence for the whole run.

In fact, on Friday June 27, I ran 9 miles in 20,378 steps (14:08 pace & stride length of 0.71) & on Tuesday, July 29, I ran 10 miles and took only 434 steps more (12:48 pace, 164 cadence, & stride length of 0.77).  I wanted the June 27 cadence to be 174, but could only muster a 160 average.

So a slower, but more consistent, cadence allows energy to be used more efficiently.  Lengthening the stride is the icing on the cake, I think.

As far as your swearing at Hal  Wink , I know for me that is not the case.  I wish in the later miles of a marathon that I could depend on a longer stride, so I wouldn't be shufflin' the last couple of miles.

Good idea...The death shuffle is a horrible way to finish a race.

What a great phrase for it! Approval
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4756
Points : 13098
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fracking the system

Post  Nick Morris on Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:08 am

@ounce wrote:
@Nick Morris wrote:
@ounce wrote:
@Mark B wrote:Interesting interpretation of stride length and fatigue. It sounds logical to me, though I swear I remember Hal once saying that a weird side effect of fatigue is that stride length tends to lengthen...  Suspect 

Smart cutting the run short. No point whatsoever in overdoing it if you feel beaten up, especially on these get-in-the-miles midweek affairs.

Thanks for the comments, Mark.  I remember when I was doing 174 cadence for the 8 and 9 mile weeks, that my cadence would be reduced, when I wasn't running on fresher legs.  I remember getting down into the 150's on a Friday, the last day of a running week.  So, the choice and change to a cadence of 164 or 165 steps per minute allows me to run at that cadence for the whole run.

In fact, on Friday June 27, I ran 9 miles in 20,378 steps (14:08 pace & stride length of 0.71) & on Tuesday, July 29, I ran 10 miles and took only 434 steps more (12:48 pace, 164 cadence, & stride length of 0.77).  I wanted the June 27 cadence to be 174, but could only muster a 160 average.

So a slower, but more consistent, cadence allows energy to be used more efficiently.  Lengthening the stride is the icing on the cake, I think.

As far as your swearing at Hal  Wink , I know for me that is not the case.  I wish in the later miles of a marathon that I could depend on a longer stride, so I wouldn't be shufflin' the last couple of miles.

Good idea...The death shuffle is a horrible way to finish a race.

What a great phrase for it! Approval

I have heard it called a "Death March", as well. Either way, I wouldn't want to do it!
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11931
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 37
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fracking the system

Post  ounce on Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:25 pm

@Nick Morris wrote:
@ounce wrote:
@Nick Morris wrote:
@ounce wrote:
@Mark B wrote:Interesting interpretation of stride length and fatigue. It sounds logical to me, though I swear I remember Hal once saying that a weird side effect of fatigue is that stride length tends to lengthen...  Suspect 

Smart cutting the run short. No point whatsoever in overdoing it if you feel beaten up, especially on these get-in-the-miles midweek affairs.

Thanks for the comments, Mark.  I remember when I was doing 174 cadence for the 8 and 9 mile weeks, that my cadence would be reduced, when I wasn't running on fresher legs.  I remember getting down into the 150's on a Friday, the last day of a running week.  So, the choice and change to a cadence of 164 or 165 steps per minute allows me to run at that cadence for the whole run.

In fact, on Friday June 27, I ran 9 miles in 20,378 steps (14:08 pace & stride length of 0.71) & on Tuesday, July 29, I ran 10 miles and took only 434 steps more (12:48 pace, 164 cadence, & stride length of 0.77).  I wanted the June 27 cadence to be 174, but could only muster a 160 average.

So a slower, but more consistent, cadence allows energy to be used more efficiently.  Lengthening the stride is the icing on the cake, I think.

As far as your swearing at Hal  Wink , I know for me that is not the case.  I wish in the later miles of a marathon that I could depend on a longer stride, so I wouldn't be shufflin' the last couple of miles.

Good idea...The death shuffle is a horrible way to finish a race.

What a great phrase for it! Approval

I have heard it called a "Death March", as well.  Either way, I wouldn't want to do it!

There ain't no marching for those last few miles.  Death shuffle is what it is.
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4756
Points : 13098
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fracking the system

Post  Jim Lentz on Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:27 pm

I think anyone that has done a number of longer races will at some time experience this. I don't like it when it happens to me and I feel bad for others I see having it happen. Makes for a long/painful finish.
avatar
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1171
Points : 4355
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 56
Location : Downers Grove

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fracking the system

Post  ounce on Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:55 pm

10 miles today at 165 cadence.  This is the first run where the preceding two days was a shorter run (5 miles) on Wednesday and a Thursday rest day.  My past training cycles have had Thursday as a rest day, preceding the Friday long run.  I will probably retain the 3 day a week training week, with an occasional 4th.

This morning, it was 79 degrees with a dewpoint of 77.  The durn Garmin got all discombobulated and dinged mile 4, even though I had another quarter mile to go.  So, I went on with what I know to be 10 miles +/- 0.02 miles.

10 miles, 2:10:56, 12:46 pace, 149 avg bpm, 162 max during mile 7 & 10, 164 avg spm, 0.77 m avg stride length, 1st half pace 12:48, 2nd half pace 12:44.

  1. 13:53, 134 bpm, 164 spm, 71 sl
  2. 13:16, 139 bpm, 164 spm, 74 sl
  3. 12:21, 143 bpm, 164 spm, 79 sl
  4. ~13:10, 146 bpm, 164 spm
  5. 12:40, 151 bpm, 164 spm, 77 sl
  6. 13:36, 152 bpm, 164 spm, 72 sl
  7. 12:12, 153 bpm, 162 spm, 81 sl
  8. 13:14, 152 bpm, 163 spm, 75 sl
  9. 12:53, 157 bpm, 164 spm, 76 sl
  10. 12:12, 159 bpm, 164 spm, 81 sl


I was starting to tire the last few miles, but decided to stir it up a bit and stretch the stride length to see if the groin would whine.  There was no whining.  And I was even leaning into the stride some, too.  That's part of the reason why the HR was up some, too.

I have ran 82 miles in May, 125 in June, 133 in July, and 45 miles in August, so far.  I might have ran 60-80 miles in prior summer months.  Part of me is concerned about running longer under the present running method, once the cycle starts.  But the more objective side states that I won't be running many 40 mile weeks until December, so I need to be smart about the cadence (meaning 164 or 165), the Summer was all about endurance & cadence, and wait for the weather to get cooler.

I should have acquired the best endurance base I have ever had.  But will I be able to get down into the 11's on a consistent and relaxed basis? scratch  

Average goal race pace for Houston is 11:15, which is a 4:56:25 finish.  I'm about 15 pounds heavier than I was back in January (12:22 race pace).  I can work on that, but it's been slow.  Appreciate any thoughts.
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4756
Points : 13098
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fracking the system

Post  ounce on Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:40 pm

This week will be a slack week because it's been 6 weeks since my last endurance test (July 3) and I'm supposed to treat the test like a race, which means I will need to rest up for it.  So, I may run a bit in the morning, but less than 5.

These are the times from the July 3:
73 degrees with a dewpoint of 73 (100% humidity!) and no wind, of course.  Targeting a cadence of 174 for all runs.
140 bpm - 19:28, pace 13:00/mile, 171 spm, 72 sl
150 bpm - 18:00, pace 11:58/mile, 172 spm, 78 sl
160 bpm - 16:53, pace 11:15/mile, 172 spm, 83 sl
170 bpm - 15:45, pace 10:31/mile, 172 spm, 89 sl
180 bpm - did not complete...too wore out. 

The running plan is to run 1.5 miles at 140 bpm, stop, record, and rest 90 seconds.  Then repeat it for 150 bpm, 160 bpm, 170 bpm, and 180 bpm.

That will be Thursday.  Friday, I'd like to run 12.  Y'all have a good week.
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4756
Points : 13098
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fracking the system

Post  Jim Lentz on Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:15 pm

Looking forward to see how the tests compare.
avatar
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1171
Points : 4355
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 56
Location : Downers Grove

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fracking the system

Post  ounce on Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:43 pm

@Jim Lentz wrote:Looking forward to see how the tests compare.

As am I, Jim.  Rather than running it at the 174 cadence, I think I'll run it at 164, since that's my probably cadence through Houston in January.

Thanks.
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4756
Points : 13098
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fracking the system

Post  ounce on Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:37 pm

This morning, I lifted weights (including the machine for the adductors), farmer's carry with a kettlebell in each hand, weighted lunges, leg lifts, 1,000m row and goblet squats.  Right now, my quads are wondering what in the hell I was thinking!

(Might've overdone it with so much on the quads, but I think I'll still be good on Thursday for the re-test.)
They'll survive, but it means sleeping in tomorrow.  DURN the luck.


R.I.P Robin Williams.  Approval  Sad  Dead
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4756
Points : 13098
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fracking the system

Post  ounce on Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:58 pm

Ohhhh, Michele?

I'm working on my training cycle for Houston.  I looked back on my other blog to find your comment on your 10 mile run, to which you wrote:
One other good workout to try is to do the following in a 10 mile run: Warm up for at least 1 mile then run 2 miles at a pace 30-45 sec faster than MP, ran another easy mile (LSD pace), then run 2 miles again at 30-45 sec faster than MP, run another easy mile, and repeat again. Warm down until you reach 10 miles. Measure your HR to see how the effort for the first 2 miles compares to the last 2 miles. When I was getting ready for Boston in 2012, I knew I was ready when three weeks out, my last 2 miles ended up almost a minute faster than MP with the same effort as the first 2 miles.  December 12, 2013

So, when did you start this 10 mile run exercise in the cycle and when did you end it?  Thanks.
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4756
Points : 13098
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fracking the system

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:42 pm

Remember it was winter - but I started in early February for an April race and I did the workout three times with the last being the first week in March.  I also raced a half marathon in mid-February and mid-March.
avatar
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4748
Points : 11118
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 55
Location : Cleveland (Bay Village), OH/Atlanta, GA

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Fracking the system

Post  nkrichards on Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:54 pm

Hey, it's been a while but it's good to see you're still making progress!

I find your questions/conclusions about cadence and stride interesting.  One of the reasons I gave up on increasing my cadence was because I found it exhausting.  I was advised to shorten my stride when I wanted to run easy but a fast cadence even with a shorter stride never did feel easy.  I think your effort to find the right balance between the two for your body is the right approach.
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1981
Points : 6848
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fracking the system

Post  ounce on Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:12 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Remember it was winter - but I started in early February for an April race and I did the workout three times with the last being the first week in March.  I also raced a half marathon in mid-February and mid-March.
I'll plug that into the schedule, 1L.  Much obliged.
@nkrichards wrote:Hey, it's been a while but it's good to see you're still making progress!

I find your questions/conclusions about cadence and stride interesting.  One of the reasons I gave up on increasing my cadence was because I found it exhausting.  I was advised to shorten my stride when I wanted to run easy but a fast cadence even with a shorter stride never did feel easy.  I think your effort to find the right balance between the two for your body is the right approach.

Howdy, Nancy!  Yes, on exhausting.  I just couldn't see me running the longer distances at 174 that a marathon schedule demands.  I wasn't adapting fast enough to where it was comfortable.  Now, a 164 cadence is much easier to hold.  And it is a faster cadence than the 150 or so that I had been running prior to ChiRunning.  The author said in a blog once that it took him a year to be able to run a marathon at 180, which is when I got the idea to lower the cadence.  In the off season, I will continue to up the cadence because it will lower a time.  And who doesn't want that?

Happy to see that you surfaced.  Smile
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4756
Points : 13098
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fracking the system

Post  ounce on Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:30 pm

As a result of yesterday's weights, my fanny and my quads don't like me very much.  I'm a bit stiff, but walking helps loosen it up.  I think I'll be fine for tomorrow's test.  Besides, a dry line went through yesterday and this morning's dewpoint was 67 degrees!   Tomorrow will probably be 71 or 72, but every little bit helps.
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4756
Points : 13098
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fracking the system

Post  Jim Lentz on Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:07 am

Any running today or is it a rest/recovery day?
avatar
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1171
Points : 4355
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 56
Location : Downers Grove

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fracking the system

Post  ounce on Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:54 am

No, Jim, this was test day.  In a nutshell, my times across the board were slower, but I think that was due to using the 165 cadence instead of the 174 used on July 3.  During the first 1.5 mile test, I thought that if I used 174 for the first time in 3-4 weeks that my heart rate would be higher than if I had been running 174, all along.  So, I backed it down to 165.

The one good thing that happened was that I ran the last 1.5 miles at 180 bpm*, where I was too tired to run 1.5 miles at 180 back on July 3.  * - I couldn't get it up to 180, but could get to 175 frequently.

So, I'll post the times later.  The weather was a little better today (78 degrees with a dewpoint of 67 degrees) than on July 3 (when it was 73 degrees with a dewpoint of 73).  The air didn't feel as heavy.

140 bpm - 22:26, 14:56 pace, 141 avg bpm, 161 spm, 67 sl - Pace slower by 1:56
150 bpm - 19:56, 13:14 pace, 149 avg bpm, 163 spm, 74 sl - Pace slower by 1:16
160 bpm - 17:59, 11:59 pace, 158 avg bpm, 165 spm, 81 sl - Pace slower by 0:44
170 bpm - 16:51, 11:14 pace, 166 avg bpm, 166 spm, 86 sl - Pace slower by 0:43
180 bpm - 15:56, 10:36 pace, 171 avg bpm, 166 spm, 92 sl - Only ran a quarter-mile, last time. 

If there wasn't a difference in cadence goal, I would say that I have lost endurance over the past 6 weeks.  Because in July, I ran at 160 bpm in 16:53 and today, at 170 spm, I ran it at 16:51.  Something is odd. 

My legs were still stiff from Tuesday weights, but I was able to run without pain or stiffness, once I warmed up with a 1 mile run.  When I stopped for the 90 second break, I did notice a little stiffness at re-start, but it abated within 100 feet.

I wonder if I should reschedule another test, next week.  What do y'all think?  thanks.
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4756
Points : 13098
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fracking the system

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum