365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fracking the system

+13
Julie
Schuey
Nick Morris
Dave Wolfe
fostever
Dave P
nkrichards
Lobo
mul21
Jerry
Michele "1L" Keane
Mark B
ounce
17 posters

Page 4 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Go down

Fracking the system - Page 4 Empty Re: Fracking the system

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:27 pm

Not sure there is anything to analyze, Doug.  Most 10Ks are run as positive splits as they are sprint races and you just lay it all out there.  You did and you ran a PR - nuf said.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:48 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Not sure there is anything to analyze, Doug.  Most 10Ks are run as positive splits as they are sprint races and you just lay it all out there.  You did and you ran a PR - nuf said.

But we have another 28 minutes of air time to fill?   Smile 

Did CrossFit this morning and here was the workout

Skill/Strength: 12 Minutes
-5 Negative Pull-Ups (Advanced do 3 weighted negatives)
*goal is a 4 to 6 second controlled descent  My goal was to not make it look like I was just jumping off a box...more of a slow motion drop.  Gravity was not my friend.
-30 seconds of DU Practice (advanced work on triples)  I actually did 2 of them, not in a row, but 2.  I hadn't touched a jump rope since August.

WOD: 13 min AMRAP - did 4 complete plus the 15 second handstand hold.
15 sec Handstand Hold - Uh, yeah,  I can't even do a handstand.  Did an adaptation using a box.

12 Front Rack Lunges (5R/L, 75/55 lbs)  well, I ended up doing this with two-25 lb dumb bells.  I actually fell down twice, trying to stand back up out of a lunge.  I think I stepped out too far into the lunge and couldn't get back up.

9 Toes to Bar - I'm not strong enough to get my toes to a bar, unless the bar is on the ground.  Mostly, it's feet to chest.  This time, though, I laid on my back and brought up my feet above me to around 110 degrees, then slowly put them down.  I've done this at home a lot, so this wasn't that difficult.

Overall, I wasn't heavily sweating (it was 36 degrees outside).  But it was a nice, little workout. 

Due to lack of attendance, the yoga class at the box on Tuesday nights was cancelled.  bummer.

Tomorrow is a run of some distance using some shoes and a Shuffle.  Toodles.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:43 pm

Sounds grueling, way to go!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:14 am

fostever wrote:Sounds grueling, way to go!
Much obliged.

If you want to see the replacement toes to bar movement that I did, you can go to Facebook and I shared 4 second video from the box that was filmed when I wasn't looking.  That's real time speed, too.  Ended up doing 4 rounds of 9 of those controlled leg drops.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:29 am

I ran 8 miles this morning at some time and at some pace & average HR.  My 305 was DRT on Monday evening and I'm thinking of getting a 220, because I don't think a 620 is worth the difference of $150.  If I had to spend $450, I'd get a Fenix2.

As a result of the lunges and toe raises, yesterday, my gluteus minimus started barking about mile 4, but not bad or not near as bad as two weeks ago, after those lunges.

It was 46 degrees outside.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:47 pm

I second that!!! How is Crossfit training? A friend of mine does it and he says that it helps out with his marathoning.

I am a light weight training gym, but have thought about getting into the Crossfit.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:32 pm

Nick Morris wrote:

I second that!!!  How is Crossfit training?  A friend of mine does it and he says that it helps out with his marathoning.

I am a light weight training gym, but have thought about getting into the Crossfit.

It's a whole body workout and how it helps us as marathoners is that it balances out our muscles and strengthens our core.  We, as runners, pretty much use our quads for everything to propel ourselves around either walking or running.  Doing squats, dead lifts, cleans, etc works muscles that running and walking doesn't.  So, that's how it balances our muscles for running.

I enjoy CrossFit.  It can be rather grueling to extremely greuling, depending on the Workout of the Day (WOD).  A WOD is made up, typically, of warming up, then Strength training, then the MetCon, and sometimes a specific cool down to address some muscles that were worked intensely.  All of this in 1 hour or 1 hour and 5 minutes.  Sometimes 1 weekday a week is a 'named' WOD or a thought out WOD that is pretty much the whole hour.  The CrossFit community is a very patriotic community, where a holiday like Memorial Day gets a named WOD for a deceased member of the military and those are the MOST intense WODs.  There are an infinite number of different Metabolic Conditioning (MetCon) workouts that can be created.

One thing that I enjoy about CrossFit is that all the workouts are scaled to the ability of the person and NOBODY is concerned that I can't lift the minimum girls weight for a push press.  We just do what we can.  For a MetCon, if there's running involved in it, I can usually have a pretty good overall time because of the stamina from running.  Typically, you have three types of people at CrossFit, weight lifters that can't run, runners that can't lift, and the other people that can't do either.  You will generally learn to hate burpees and thrusters.

CrossFit locations are called 'boxes' and usually are located in un-air conditioned/heated, light industrial warehouse locations.  No frills.  There are barbells, dumb bells, kettlebells, boxes for box jumping, rings for 'muscle ups', ropes, racks, a big tractor tire, sledge hammers, atlas concrete balls, jump ropes, lacrosse balls, plates for the barbells, medicine balls for wall ball shots, abmats for under your back during sit ups, etc.

The locations are called 'affiliates' and there are two within 2 miles of my home.  Generally, an affiliate is independently owned.  You could go to www.crossfit.com and look on the left side of the website for 'Affilliates' to find a location near you.    On the main page is usually a WOD for a particular location.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:12 pm

Cool...Thanks Oz!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:21 pm

Would you recommend doing Crossfit during a marathon training cycle or do it as a base builder to a new training cycle?
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:32 pm

Nick Morris wrote:Would you recommend doing Crossfit during a marathon training cycle or do it as a base builder to a new training cycle?

I have you by 20 years, but I couldn't do CrossFit AND a training cycle.  You might be able to do it.  Since 2011, I will re-start CrossFit a month after my last marathon and do CrossFit until week 1 of a new cycle.

I tried re-starting after 2 weeks and I got gassed very easily.

Last year, I did CrossFit on M-T-W and ran on Th-F, but when we were doing dead lifts on Tuesdays, followed by an all MetCon Wednesday, I couldn't run on Thursday or run far.  Quads and shins were just too worn out, but I did max at 215 pounds!

But you're more of a spring chicken than I and might be able to handle it.  This year, I'm working on running before a CrossFit class (I do the 5 a.m. class) and going M-W-F, so I get 3 running days or maybe adding a fourth in the evening during the 'off season'.

Technique is very important, Nick.  Learn to do it right at a light weight, before adding weight.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:11 am

No running this morning, but I did CrossFit. 

Strength: Overhead Squats (also known as Thrusters)
3 sets of 5 Reps
I started with a bare 35 pound bar and worked my way up to 55 pounds.
Conditioning:
Open WOD 14.2-ish
For Time:
2 Rounds of:
10 OHS (95/65 lbs)  I did 37 pounds.
10 Chest to Bar Pull-Ups  I stood on a 20" box and used the most assistive rubber band strap available.
–Rest 1 minute–
2 Rounds of:
12 OHS
12 C2B Pull-Ups
–Rest 1 minute–
2 Rounds of:
14 OHS
14 C2B Pull-Ups
Time 15:10.

I purposely used a lighter weight for the WOD because it was my first time this year of doing overhead squats and keeping the bar directly over the neck and steady is critical to doing it right and not hurting myself.  Plus the shoulders and upper arms tire, eventually.  Technique was good.

The Chest to Bar is pretty self-explanatory, but since I can't do 1, I opted for heavy assistance.  By the second round of the last set, I was so tired that I could only do 1 pull up at a time, instead of stringing a few along before needing to rest.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:36 am

I didn't run over the weekend, but I'm going to work on running a little tonight and Tuesday sometime, as well.  So, CrossFit was on the docket for this morning.  This was the WOD:

Strength:
Strict Press: 5 x 1 @ 90+%  65 lbs at 90%, probably could've done higher, but I was content.
Single-Leg Deadlift x 5 R/L b/w sets.  This was more of a 1 leg stand, with bending your upper body forward, while your other leg was bending straight behind you.  It's a balancing thing.
Conditioning: Complete As Many Rounds as Possible, used a 25 lb dumb bell in each hand.
4 min AMRAP:
5 DB Deadlifts
5 DB Hang Cleans
5 DB Push Press
–1 min Rest–
3 min AMRAP:
5 DB Deadlifts
5 DB Hang Cleans
5 DB Push Press
–1 min Rest–
2 min AMRAP:
5 DB Deadlifts
5 DB Hang Cleans
5 DB Push Press
–1 min Rest–
1 min AMRAP:
5 DB Deadlifts
5 DB Hang Cleans
5 DB Push Press
11 reps in total

I broke my rule of technique first and reps last, on this MetCon.  My lower back aches a little, as a result of this.  The Push Press was the most difficult because I'm upper body weak.  I first picked the 30 pound dumb bells, but when it was clear the Push Press had to use the same dumb bells, I went down to 25 pounds.  It was a good workout, except for the lower back ache.

I haven't purchased the 220 yet, because I'm trying to determine who gets my money, since it's being sold at full retail, so the 10% discount I can get off DC Rainmaker I can also get locally.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:29 am

Ran 4 miles, last night, in the blue 'n green Kinvaras.  My shin muscles were tight for the first half and it made the step down part of the stride pretty floppy instead of fluid.  No time.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:36 am

No running this morning because the WOD was not looking too advantageous to running ahead of time.

Conditioning: 2 Rounds, cumulative count per round.  I did 87 total on the first and 85 total on the second round.
3 min Row for Calories
2 min Burpees to Target
1 min American KB Swings (53/35 lbs)  30 pound kettlebell
–Rest 4 minutes between rounds–
*Group 1 will start their rounds at 0 and 10 minutes on the clock. Group 2 will start their rounds at 4 and 14 minutes on the clock.

Finisher: 3 Rounds
Tire Flips x A Few (partner if needed)
30 sec Weighted Front Plank  15 pound plate on my back.

This workout was not quite as fun as it looks.  It was the first time that I've done tire flipping.  This farm tractor tire is about 5'10" and less than 300 pounds (I was told "the high 200's").  I did about 2 or 3 each round.  It's really difficult for those light of upper body strength.  The move is a dead lift, then get under it to do a clean. 

I never got to the clean.  I leaned into the tire after the dead lift part, so I could get my hands under it, work it up to my chest, then get my hands under it and push it over with my feet and legs driving.  It works the quads, forearms and my trapezius muscles.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:48 am

And thus the reason why I don't do crossfit - box jumps and tire flips.  Hope it was fun!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:13 pm

Oof, I say. Oof.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:38 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:And thus the reason why I don't do crossfit - box jumps and tire flips.  Hope it was fun!
Haven't done box jumps, yet, this year.  I'm sure it's not far away.  I like box jumps, though.  And box jump OVERS, ah, now that will test how much you trust your springiness.
Mark B wrote:Oof, I say. Oof.

I agree...and at 5 a.m., too!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:36 am

It was 47 degrees with a calm wind, this morning, when I ran my near 9 mile route.  I haven't ordered the replacement watch, yet, but I know the time was less than 2 hours because when I left home and when I got back was less than 2 hours.  How's THAT for reasoning abilities!!

I might even go out on a limb and say it was around 1:50 because I walk to the road and back, which is about 7-10 minutes.  No troubles and there were a few less people at Memorial Park at 4 a.m.  Must be the rodeo affecting sleeping habits.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:56 am

Thursday, I ordered the FR220 as a replacement for my 305.  Couldn't find anybody coming off the $300 list prices, so I went to DC Rainmaker's site and got a 10% discount from the business that supports his website.  I should be getting it today.

No running over the weekend, but I did a double, this morning, and ran 4 miles with my new, handy dandy metronome and then did CrossFit.  All that by 6 a.m.  I must be in the Navy or something.  Rolling Eyes 

I'm using the metronome to increase my stride up to 180 steps/minute (90 strides/minute.  I had been working some on increasing it, so the metronome was the first test of exactly what my stride was.  It's a noisy thing, but I was able to maintain 167 steps, even though I was getting tired at holding that step rate.  I know my pace was faster than MP, but no clue as to what it was.  The metronome is part and parcel to the book "ChiRunning" and the book I'm reading called "ChiMarathon."  I'm utilizing the book to increase my turnover, speed, and get my posture into a more running friendly alignment.  ChiRunning is my 2014 diabolical scheme to shave time from my marathon pace for 2015 Houston, along with LC/HF diet.

Regarding CrossFit, here's today's WOD.

Strength: 16 Minutes.  Ended up doing 3 rounds of each.
Front Squats x 3 to 5 Reps (if you complete 5 reps, add weight)  I did 75 pounds with excellent technique, which is what I'm after.
KB Bent Over Rows x 6-8 R/L  26 pound kettlebell.
Samson Stretch x 10 Deep Breaths R/L
Conditioning: For Time

15 Ball Slams  (20 pound slam ball)
50 Double-Unders (Not able to do double-under jump ropes, so did 3x single unders)
12 Ball Slams
40 Double-Unders
9 Ball Slams
30 Double-Unders
6 Ball Slams
20 Double-Unders
3 Ball Slams
10 Double-Unders
Time was 7:47

I am very conscious of doing the strength part accurately to limit pain afterwards.  This past Friday's WOD had a bunch of dead lifts and box jumps.  I could've done the box jumps, but I know I would've slacked up on the technique of the dead lifts for a good time.  And dead lifts are easy to slack by using your back to lift, rather than your legs.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:22 am

One of the questions I had going into this morning's 8 mile run was, "If 167 spm (steps per minute) was getting me tired on a 4 mile run, then how could I expect to maintain that for an 8 mile run?"  The obvious answer is to slow down, but with the follow up question, "By how much?"

Then the other question was, "Could I still play the Shuffle and listen to the chirper?"  And the final question is, "Why didn't the post office deliver my 220 yesterday?"

It was 49 degrees with a dewpoint of 46 degrees, this morning, with a light, but cool south wind.  My legs were feeling fine, but I had a bit of a time getting motivated to go run.  I needed to, so I did it.  End of story.  I adjusted the spm from 167 down to 150 and headed off.  After about 100 yards, 150 spm was really slow.  It would've been like Michele trying to pace me, when she does 180 spm.  I bumped it up to 160 and that felt better and easier to maintain.  After about a mile, I tweaked it up to 162, only 5 steps shy of yesterday's 167.  That was today's Goldilocks setting.

I never felt out of breath, I never felt tired.  I kinda felt like my posture was in a good place.  The last mile was a little almost tiring, but I felt where I needed to adjust my posture and that fixed it.  On the three short rises on this 8 mile loop, I actually didn't feel taxed going up, just as if I was on flat surface.

I could mostly listen to music and still keep an ear to the rapid beeping of the chirper.  When a singer's voice (particularly a female) was getting close to the same note of the chirper, then it got a little harder to hear the chirper, but I'm sure I'll be able to adapt.

The goal is to slowly get to 180 spm.  Thursday morning, I'll run a longer distance with the chirper and see how I'm adapting and at what step rate.  12 miles for the week.  The chirper has a clock setting and I estimated about a 96 minute run, or a 12 minute pace.

After I finished the run, immediately after starting to walk, I noticed that I had straightened up into a traditional walking stride and I felt all of my upper body weight settling onto my hips, then my quads felt the weight and had to engage a little extra effort to keep me walking, until everything remembered what to do.  Strange feeling.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:55 pm

ounce wrote:One of the questions I had going into this morning's 8 mile run was, "If 167 spm (steps per minute) was getting me tired on a 4 mile run, then how could I expect to maintain that for an 8 mile run?"  The obvious answer is to slow down, but with the follow up question, "By how much?"

I played with a metronome early last year but got frustrated and gave up.  I was told that I should work towards a cadence of 180 on all my runs...even the easy recovery runs.  That made no sense to me but they explained that I should shorten my stride to make the run slower and easier...not decrease my cadence. 

I also struggled because I breath in rhythm with my stride.  When I increased my cadence I was breathing to often and felt like I was starting to hyperventilate.  Max King (who is a very cool guy by the way) laughed and explained that I wasn't a jaguar and I didn't have to breath in rhythm with my stride...I was a human and could choose to breath when I needed to.

As I said I gave up on the metronome but I do pay attention to my cadence and make an attempt...not a very successful one...to keep it high.  I haven't been able to break the habit of breathing in rhythm with my stride.

It will be interesting to follow along and see how you do.  You seem much more willing to change and try new things than I am.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:49 pm

Thanks, Ounce for the compliment (I guess).  I can say however, that my cadence on Sunday was exactly 180 according to Mr. Garmin.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/462341667#
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:23 am

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:One of the questions I had going into this morning's 8 mile run was, "If 167 spm (steps per minute) was getting me tired on a 4 mile run, then how could I expect to maintain that for an 8 mile run?"  The obvious answer is to slow down, but with the follow up question, "By how much?"

I played with a metronome early last year but got frustrated and gave up.  I was told that I should work towards a cadence of 180 on all my runs...even the easy recovery runs.  That made no sense to me but they explained that I should shorten my stride to make the run slower and easier...not decrease my cadence. 

I also struggled because I breath in rhythm with my stride.  When I increased my cadence I was breathing to often and felt like I was starting to hyperventilate.  Max King (who is a very cool guy by the way) laughed and explained that I wasn't a jaguar and I didn't have to breath in rhythm with my stride...I was a human and could choose to breath when I needed to.

As I said I gave up on the metronome but I do pay attention to my cadence and make an attempt...not a very successful one...to keep it high.  I haven't been able to break the habit of breathing in rhythm with my stride.

It will be interesting to follow along and see how you do.  You seem much more willing to change and try new things than I am.
All in the name of science (and getting faster)!  I haven't tried to sync my breathing yet.
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Thanks, Ounce for the compliment (I guess).  I can say however, that my cadence on Sunday was exactly 180 according to Mr. Garmin.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/462341667#
Yes, it is a compliment.  I never thought I'd get to 160, but here I am at 162-167.  I am working to 180, just like 1L.  I have to work on twisting my hips a little more.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:22 pm

Ooo! I've been missing a cadence conversation? I've been working on that, myself. The only tip I can offer is to shorten your stride. If it's hard to do wearing shoes, there's always another training tool (cough, cough) you can use to avoid slamming into the pavement... Wink
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:04 pm

Mark B wrote:Ooo! I've been missing a cadence conversation? I've been working on that, myself. The only tip I can offer is to shorten your stride. If it's hard to do wearing shoes, there's always another training tool (cough, cough) you can use to avoid slamming into the pavement... Wink

Well, you've been busy doing other things.   Rolling Eyes
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum: