365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"The Runners"

+4
Jerry
Schuey
ounce
Mark B
8 posters

Go down

"The Runners" Empty "The Runners"

Post  Mark B Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:20 am

And now for the cultural/sociological part of our program...

Born from the idea that people might be more open if they were asked questions while running, Matan Rochlitz & Ivo Gormley’s hopped into a bicycle trailer and started quizzing runners on a range of personal topics, from sex to religion and marriage to mental health. The candor of their answers was startling, and their short film (11 minutes) titled "The Runners" was an official selection at the 2013 Sheffield Doc Fest, as well as several other film festivals.

Click here to view The Runners. (It's on Vimeo, so I can't embed it.)

Enjoy.

Discussion question: If somebody showed up and wanted to interview you during a run, what would you say?
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

"The Runners" Empty Re: "The Runners"

Post  ounce Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:03 pm

Mark B wrote:And now for the cultural/sociological part of our program...

Born from the idea that people might be more open if they were asked questions while running, Matan Rochlitz & Ivo Gormley’s hopped into a bicycle trailer and started quizzing runners on a range of personal topics, from sex to religion and marriage to mental health. The candor of their answers was startling, and their short film (11 minutes) titled "The Runners" was an official selection at the 2013 Sheffield Doc Fest, as well as several other film festivals.

Click here to view The Runners. (It's on Vimeo, so I can't embed it.)

Enjoy.

Discussion question: If somebody showed up and wanted to interview you during a run, what would you say?

Depends on the questions. tongue
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:23 pm

No I would tell them I to busy running and enjoying myself to be able to answer any questions. Plus from the sounds of the questions they were asking it is personal and something I won't want to disclose to a stranger (example sex, religion, mental health etc.) 

Now this would be totally different when running with a friend or my wife. Example Steve Foster and I have had some great conversations about politics and religion while running.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:58 pm

Schuey wrote:No I would tell them I to busy running and enjoying myself to be able to answer any questions. Plus from the sounds of the questions they were asking it is personal and something I won't want to disclose to a stranger (example sex, religion, mental health etc.) 

Now this would be totally different when running with a friend or my wife. Example Steve Foster and I have had some great conversations about politics and religion while running.

I would be ok to talk about sex and religion with strangers cause I don't have much. My mental health, no.  lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:57 pm

Probably not...Most of the time I run by myself. Not because I don't have anyone to run with me, but more because it is my ME time. Let me be please...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:55 pm

Good responses!

I've been in the interviewing business long enough to know to not allow anybody to interview me, ever*, so I'd politely tell 'em to find somebody else. Smile

*-That taped interview with Charles was just about the only exception I've ever made to that rule.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:05 pm

Mark B wrote:Good responses!

I've been in the interviewing business long enough to know to not allow anybody to interview me, ever*, so I'd politely tell 'em to find somebody else. Smile

*-That taped interview with Charles was just about the only exception I've ever made to that rule.

I would do an interview with Charles or you cause I feel that we have friendship relationship. I'm all good with opening up to friends and discussing topics. Just not all that comfortable with disclosing information about myself to strangers and not really know how they will use that information or betray me from information I have given them. I have seen to many people in my time be crossed and taken out of contexts. With friends I at least feel there is a line that we won't cross and there is a sense of respect and understand of one's points and views.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:11 pm

just watched the movie.  Sorry, didn't find it particularly riveting.  Actually reminds me of sitting next to someone on an airplane who "opens up" about all sorts of stuff I'd rather not know about.  Now I take my headphones and am politely rude.  People open up to strangers all the time.  I don't find this premise new.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:53 am

I'd politely tell them to  . . . never mind. When I run I run I don't interview.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:10 pm

Enjoyed it. Interesting people with different takes on life, at different stages in their lives, willing to share a little about their hopes, worries, loves, etc.
I know that I process a lot of things when I run, and if you stuck a microphone in my face at the right moment during some of them, you might get a good sound bite out of me.
I would like to run where some of them were running, especially right about now, when running outside seems like the Iditarod, but without the sled...
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down