365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Boston Heat

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Boston Heat

Post  mountandog on Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:06 pm

For those of you who ran Boston (some met your target > Michele, Jerry) and most of us didn't.  Do you really think the heat made that much of a difference?  I mean it wasn't boiling like '12, although there was no cloud cover.  Especially those of us in the first wave I think it was in the 50s for much of the race.  Don't know for sure just a guess and I always thought those temps were close to ideal conditions.  I mean I felt like crap at the end and was still 3 minutes+ above my target.  Was surprised at how I felt relative to my time.

Anyone have an opinion?

Wondering if I shouldn't be looking at other root causes other than the weather.  Just trying to gage the impact of the weather so I can do a reasonable self analysis.
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Boston Heat

Post  jon c on Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:53 pm

It was warmer than I expected, but I think that most of us haven't had the opportunity to train in much heat since this winter seemed to last longer this year.
Heat doesn't affect me as much as others as long as I run under control.  If I would have pushed the pace, I might have had more problems.
jon c
Regular
Regular

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz on Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:56 pm

I thought I ran strategically, but crashed early on. Was it the heat, I am not sure, but I know it contributed.
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:11 pm

The heat contributed for sure as I know that I am not really a great hot weather runner, but I had some success in 2012 and I adjusted my strategy before even starting to accommodate.  It was already 60F when we started, so I knew I had to do that from the start.  I think many a runner didn't adjust and I know many, many who didn't come near their goal.   I had more on the line than many of you and a lot more to prove which can be motivation too.  I haven't looked at your splits, but that may be where I would start.  I was told by many who have had successful Bostons in the past to try to run an even pace (given the terrain) and if you are going for sub-3, even try to run 10 s slower than goal pace at the start.  Boston is a bitch of a course and not as easy as it is supposed to be.  And it isn't just race day itself, but the accumulation of so much that goes on over the entire weekend.
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P on Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:32 pm

Too Hot!! If I'm not shivering at the start it's too hot. I felt warm before the gun went off at 10:25am. My forehead & hat were caked with salt residue at the end. There were many others suffering in the med tent with me.
Dave P
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gobbles on Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:44 pm

It was warmer than I like, but it wasn't my main issue.
I did drink a ton on course.

I got sun burnt on my neck and shoulders; one shoulder is peeling completely.
Gobbles
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan on Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:52 pm

...I love the west coast. We've had at least 10 days over 80 already and over a month in the 70s. 50-60 sounds like bliss Wink
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki on Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:08 pm

Gobbles wrote:I got sun burnt on my neck and shoulders; one shoulder is peeling completely.

You and me both. My house is covered in peeled skin flakes.
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wrichman on Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:10 pm

I enjoyed it, but I wasn't running for a time.
wrichman
Poster
Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry on Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:08 am

It's definitely not 50 as forecasted, cause I just jog 3 miles at 50 outside. Or maybe it was not 50 Texas.  lol! 

The Sun obviously contributed. But I am curious if the forecast was way wrong or the mass human body heat changed the climate. It was felt like warmer than 60. 

I wonder if someone knows a reliable source to check the actual temperature at 10:00am.

Whatever that was, it didn't hurt my performance that much like Chicago for sure. I recognized the warm and took 6 gels early, which I felt helped.
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP on Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:51 am

I started at 11:30 AM and it was over 60. And my wife checked the temperature the last few hours and it was 70. Anything over 55 degrees affects your running. Compounding this was
how cold it was in the weeks leading up to the marathon. Even the early days of that week before were the upper 20s to upper 30s here so there was zero acclimation to warmer weather. And the entire race was in the sun. I stood in the shade waiting for the shuttle bus and when the line moved up some so I was in the sun, it was noticeably warmer even at 9:00 AM.

Interesting, I read the account of the four runners who helped that person get to the finish line and they were saying that their runs were so over time, they weren't worried about the extra time that added.

So yes, it wasn't an 80s type of day but it was warm for marathon running. This was a more deceptive warmth in that I tried to keep my goal pace going but it just gradually took too much out of me.
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz on Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:02 pm

http://www.boston.com/health/2014/04/22/medical-volunteers-help-boston-marathon-runners-finish-strong/Ucs2fkFENEdhjrkwjQvfDP/story.html says it got up to 70 degrees.
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce on Thu May 01, 2014 9:55 am

I remember checking and reporting the temps as the day went along, including the humidity.  39% humidity in Hopkinton and Boston, for someone living near the Gulf Coast, is a 'dry air mass.'  Is 39% considered average for those locations?

When I saw the morning temps in the high 40's-low 50's, I said to myself, "Oh, crap.  It won't be cool for the entire race."

I hate sunny days for a marathon.
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey on Thu May 01, 2014 11:55 am

To be honest I didn't think it was to hot, sure it would have been nice with some cloud covering but oh well. It is what it is and that is why in the winter when I do run on the treadmill I will turn the heat on in the house and not use a fan. So, for me the weather didn't bother me but some other things did on that day Sad . Oh well that is marathon running, just have to lace them up and get after it again.
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever on Thu May 01, 2014 12:39 pm

I think it was more of a factor than anticipated, so it was deceptive to think like I did that i wouldn't need to hydrate as much. This was my worst marathon finish on record and i believe it was due to not getting the electrolytes early and consistently. I bonked at 19.5 and never recovered. My calf cramping became so severe that my last 2 miles were in the 12min/mi range after easily holding a 7:30 ish pace up to mi 18. I only had 2 gels and water up to mile 20 then playing electrolyte catch up was futile at that point. This was a huge learning experience about the effect of full sun even with decent temps.
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O on Fri May 02, 2014 12:25 pm

It was a tad warm, and the sun was out. On the other hand, the dew point was what, 30?  The air felt cool, at least to me.   I have no problem with attributing some effect, especially for those not in the first wave.
Dave-O

View user profile http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top